Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

I need Game recommendations

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> I need Game recommendations Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I need Game recommendations - 10/12/2002 9:36:19 AM   
VonDodenburg

I am a big fan of PC wargaming and have been for quite some time. My favourite games include Panzer General II, Steel Panthers, Peoples General and the Close Combat series.

I've always wanted to try some other pc war games that focus on the American Civil War, American Revolution or the Napleonic wars as well (WW2 as well).

So I am looking for some recommendations of games that I may have missed when they were initially released or others that are currrent. I tend to enjoy turn based games with good graphics.

Any suggestions of any games I might enjoy?

Your input is appreciated
Thanks
Post #: 1
- 10/12/2002 10:41:23 AM   
chief

VONDODENBURG just a quick question.....have you tried SPWAW its free and it'll keep you busy for quite a while. Besides we got one **** of a forum here also. I may also plug a variation os SPWAW Head-to-head (Usually abbreviated SPwawH2hce). You don't have to go far for real good game.

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to VonDodenburg)
Post #: 2
- 10/12/2002 11:35:07 AM   
Fred98

A unique game, which is also a great game and freeis: The Ardennnes offensive by SSG.

You can download it for free here:

[url]www.ssg.com.au[/url]

Note that the next game in the series is to be published by Matrix and its called Korsun Pocket.

It is to be published any time now and I for one can hardly wait.

Post #: 3
- 10/12/2002 10:33:33 PM   
Brigz

Go to this website. It should be right up your alley.

http://www.hpssims.com/
(Sorry, I don't know how to put links in this message.)

They have some great games on all the topics you listed. You can buy from them or go to an online or local store and maybe save ten bucks or so.

“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”

Post #: 4
- 10/12/2002 10:34:53 PM   
Brigz

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dave Briggs
[B]
http://www.hpssims.com/
(Sorry, I don't know how to put links in this message.)

[/B][/QUOTE]

Now I know how to put links in this message. It's done automatically. Cool!

Post #: 5
- 10/12/2002 10:57:59 PM   
nelmsm1

I would recommend any of the old Talonsoft Battleground games or HPS's Campaign Corinth if you are interested in the Civil War. They are two different game engines but similar as both are John Tiller designs. If you are interested in doing a little role playing along with your game play you can check out [URL=http://www.wargame.ch/wc/acw/ACWmainpage.htm]American Civil War Gaming Club[/URL]. I have been a member there for two years and we have a lot of fun role playing along with the game playing. You can also try out the old Talonsoft Battleground games for the Napoleonic period and HPS has two entries there, Campaign Eckmuhl and Napoleon's Campaign in Russia. The HPS games seem to be getting most of my game playing in the Napoleonic period right now. I would also recommend the[URL=http://www.wargame.ch/wc/nwc/Napann1.htm]Napoleonic Wargame Club[/URL] if you are interested in doing some role playing for this period.
The Talonsoft games are getting a little hard to find but I picked them up on E-Bay for a pretty good price. Just do a search using "Talonsoft" or "Battleground". Visit [URL=http://www.hpssims.com/]HPS[/URL] to find there titles. They also have more titles in development. Send me an e-mail if you have any questions about the clubs I mentioned and I will be glad to answer them.

Post #: 6
more - 10/12/2002 11:00:49 PM   
VonDodenburg

I assume that SPWAW is Steel Panthers World at War and is only available through download. If so what is the download time.

Are the Talonsoft Napolenonic Games any good?I also heard of a game called "Age of Rifles" any info on this?

thanks

Post #: 7
- 10/12/2002 11:33:16 PM   
chief

Von......its a 26Mbs download if I remember correctly (due to my age I'm allowed to forget) and if you have a slow modem it is a long download and you should have a downloader ie: Download Accelerator Plus (free download) or Get Right are both examples.
Post here if you need more info.... :) :cool:

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

Post #: 8
Re: more - 10/13/2002 4:34:34 AM   
Brigz

[QUOTE]Originally posted by VonDodenburg
[B]I assume that SPWAW is Steel Panthers World at War and is only available through download. If so what is the download time.

Are the Talonsoft Napolenonic Games any good?I also heard of a game called "Age of Rifles" any info on this?

thanks [/B][/QUOTE]
I thought SPWAW is more like 400 meg if I remember correctly. Anyway, follow the links on this web site and it will give you all the info.

I like the John Tiller games very much. I would recommend getting the Campaign Corinth game if you decide to go with the John Tiller designed games because it incorporates many excellent changes to the old Talonsoft versions.

Age of Rifles was a very good game but if you try to run it on anything newer than Win95 you probably won't get it to run. It is a pure DOS based game. Too bad someone can't convert it to Windows like Steel Panthers.

My opinion is try HPS's Campaign Corinth, Campaign Eckmuhl, Napoleon's Russian Campign or one of the Talonsoft Battleground Civil War or Battleground Napoleon games. They are all the same system but the HPS titles are enchanced and play much better.

Post #: 9
- 10/13/2002 4:52:38 AM   
chief

Dave I yield to your 400 Megs....chief

Post #: 10
- 10/13/2002 11:39:04 AM   
jnier

If you like strategic-level games, Frank Hunter's American Civil War is the definitive simulation of that conflict. Just a great strategic game and best of all - it's free! He also regularly updates it as well. His operational level Napoleonics are definately worth the modest investment ($15) as well.

Here's the link: [URL=http://www.adanaccommandstudies.com]Adanac Command Studies[/URL]

Enjoy!

Post #: 11
CHQ - 10/13/2002 7:53:45 PM   
VonDodenburg

Have any of you heard of an old PC strategy game called COMMAND HQ. I had a lot of funplaying this some years back. It was very simplistic (like an advanced RISK) but quite enjoyable.

Is it still available.

thanks

Post #: 12
TAO3! - 10/13/2002 9:38:44 PM   
leaderx

Peter, you should have signed up for Beta Testing! The game looks good. BTW, you never told me you play PGII! Have you ever played online or only PBEM? If so what was your ClubSSI/mplayer/zone username? There are still some players that play at the Zone (I also do occassionally), so if you want we can arrange and meet there for a game.

Joe, I think Peter already knows TAO2, he's an ace there. Heh.

Post #: 13
- 10/14/2002 7:12:32 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Not sure of the interest level (considering it is not Civil War or Napoloeonic), but I wll hazard a guess you might find the Strategic Command demo interesting possibly at this link on Battlefront

http://www.battlefront.com/index.htm

It is a new game and has a modest price tag (which is user friendly after all).

It is Grand Strategy in European WW2, and is reasonable close to a lot of other well thought of games.
It shares similarities with A3R Advanced Third Reich. As well there are those that are currently engaged in debating its merits vs those of CoS Clash of Steel.

Seeing as you liked Steel Panthers, you can try demos of Steel Panthers 2 Modern Battles and Steel Panthers 3 Brigade Combat here at this link below.

http://www.theblitz.org/downloads/demos.php

They also have demos there for Operational Art of War which might entertain you.
As well they have some Civil War and Napoleonic games there (can't comment on them directly though as I don't have experience with Civil War or Napoloeonics directly).

(if you like SP 2 enough, they have it updated as a free download called SPMBT at Wargamer.

http://www.wargamer.com/spcammo/

Hope these links were helpful.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

Post #: 14
Re: more - 10/15/2002 10:39:32 PM   
Jim1954

[QUOTE]Originally posted by VonDodenburg
[B]I assume that SPWAW is Steel Panthers World at War and is only available through download. If so what is the download time.

thanks [/B][/QUOTE]

I think Age of Rifles doesn't like operating systems post-Win95.
I can't get it to run on ME.

SPWAW is available for pruchase through Matrix and selected vendors by purchasing the mega campaign Operation Watchtower 1942. SPWAW version 7.0 is included on this CD.

Post #: 15
- 10/16/2002 5:27:47 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

To answer the download speed parameter, hmmmm

Depends on your connection mostly and location (as some locations are more equal than others eh).

With DSL in a well served region I can do SPWaW in like under 2 hours, 90 minutes on a good day. Cable will be like just past an hour, therefore......
If you are using ordinary dial up, hmmm mark your phone as busy on a couple of nights using something like Getright (a download manager).

Or failing that, a blank cd and a buddies computer is a nice option (now don't tell me you can't locate at least one friend that has indulged a nice speed option with a cd burner, they are as common as dirt:) ...or at least they are in Canada hehe)

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> I need Game recommendations Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI