Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Baku - astrkhan railroad

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Baku - astrkhan railroad Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Baku - astrkhan railroad - 7/3/2011 11:08:56 PM   
davetheroad

As you are probably aware the soviet rail line along the western edge of the Caspain sea was constructed in 1941/42 as a response to the german threat to the north south lines east of Rostov. The soviets needed that line to transport fuel from the southern oilfields.

The manual states that once fuel is produced it is stored in towns and cities on the rail grid.

Question. If the north south rail grid is severed the fuel will only accumulate in cities south of the severed rail??

Luckily for the russians the germans did not even know the Baku-Astrakhan rail line existed and surprisingly never really tried to destroy it when they did blunder into it.

The likely soviet response to the german severing the line would be:
1. try anything to take it back
2. try to incease the limited tanker capacity in the caspian to transfer fuel east across the sea
3. build another rail line south and east and then north along the edge of the caspian to reconnect with their railnet in central asia. This would take a few months.

does the game simulate this?

Seems like a damm good reason for a southern strategy in 1942.

Apparently the germans capturing Baku would not significantly help their economy because there was no way of transporting the fuel back to germany.
Post #: 1
RE: Baku - astrkhan railroad - 7/3/2011 11:50:29 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: davetheroad

As you are probably aware the soviet rail line along the western edge of the Caspain sea was constructed in 1941/42 as a response to the german threat to the north south lines east of Rostov. The soviets needed that line to transport fuel from the southern oilfields.

The manual states that once fuel is produced it is stored in towns and cities on the rail grid.

Question. If the north south rail grid is severed the fuel will only accumulate in cities south of the severed rail??

Luckily for the russians the germans did not even know the Baku-Astrakhan rail line existed and surprisingly never really tried to destroy it when they did blunder into it.

The likely soviet response to the german severing the line would be:
1. try anything to take it back
2. try to incease the limited tanker capacity in the caspian to transfer fuel east across the sea
3. build another rail line south and east and then north along the edge of the caspian to reconnect with their railnet in central asia. This would take a few months.

does the game simulate this?

Seems like a damm good reason for a southern strategy in 1942.

Apparently the germans capturing Baku would not significantly help their economy because there was no way of transporting the fuel back to germany.

There were a number of other rail lines also built in that area at that time. The building effort came as a very unpleasant surprise for OKH when it was discovered in August 1942--see Halder's diary. Operation Uranus was supplied by those lines.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to davetheroad)
Post #: 2
RE: Baku - astrkhan railroad - 7/4/2011 12:06:24 AM   
davetheroad

apparently the soviets built ten thousand kilometres of new lines in ww2 including a new line from stalingrad to saratov
and the line west from Archangel to reconnect the line to murmansk.

It would be good if such a all encompassing game could model this in some way. there are so many lines on the game map
which were not there in 1941 including the german new build from nikolaev into the crimea. Before that was completed in 43?
rail traffic had to go via Zaporozhye.

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 3
RE: Baku - astrkhan railroad - 7/4/2011 2:27:15 AM   
LiquidSky

They didnt really 'build' that rail line. They ripped up some Siberian trunk line near Manchuria, and transfered the rail to the west.

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

Post #: 4
RE: Baku - astrkhan railroad - 7/4/2011 7:14:54 AM   
goranw

Hi!
As noted on my planning map-Operationskarte
the rail Baku-Astrachan( Volga-ferry) was regulary usuable from sept-42,
( Although on a German planning map firstly on 21 july-42 but with uncertain state)
Saratow up to Stalingrad (that is Don river area-Ilowlinskaja) sept-42 and Cherson (Dnepr-ferry)-(Armjansk)Krim-may-42 (German built but
on Stalin's 5 year pre-war plan).
(German railway sources)
GoranW

< Message edited by goranw -- 7/4/2011 10:25:23 AM >

Post #: 5
RE: Baku - astrkhan railroad - 7/4/2011 8:05:44 AM   
Remmes

The German 116 Panzer division sent out a couple of patrols from Elista to the East to recon the area around the Caspian and Astrakhan. They actually reached the Baku - Astrakhan rail line, blew up a train and spoke to the station master in Astrakhan by a telephone line. It is generally assumed these patrols were the farthest advance east of the Germans. (in Kalymykia the main religion is Buddhism; so it must have a definite Asiatic feel)

If you google for long range patrol to Astrakhan, of something similar, information about these patrols can be found online quite easily

< Message edited by Ramses -- 7/4/2011 9:52:22 AM >

(in reply to goranw)
Post #: 6
RE: Baku - astrkhan railroad - 7/4/2011 2:30:50 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: goranw

Hi!
As noted on my planning map-Operationskarte
the rail Baku-Astrachan( Volga-ferry) was regulary usuable from sept-42,
( Although on a German planning map firstly on 21 july-42 but with uncertain state)
Saratow up to Stalingrad (that is Don river area-Ilowlinskaja) sept-42 and Cherson (Dnepr-ferry)-(Armjansk)Krim-may-42 (German built but
on Stalin's 5 year pre-war plan).
(German railway sources)
GoranW

There were some other lines built in the area, too, but my presentation on the subject is 8 time zones away. Nasty surprise for the Germans.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to goranw)
Post #: 7
RE: Baku - astrkhan railroad - 7/4/2011 2:31:42 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ramses

The German 116 Panzer division sent out a couple of patrols from Elista to the East to recon the area around the Caspian and Astrakhan. They actually reached the Baku - Astrakhan rail line, blew up a train and spoke to the station master in Astrakhan by a telephone line. It is generally assumed these patrols were the farthest advance east of the Germans. (in Kalymykia the main religion is Buddhism; so it must have a definite Asiatic feel)

If you google for long range patrol to Astrakhan, of something similar, information about these patrols can be found online quite easily

Extremely tenuous supply line.

Harry Erwin

(in reply to Remmes)
Post #: 8
RE: Baku - astrkhan railroad - 7/4/2011 5:50:55 PM   
goranw

quote:

ORIGINAL:

There were some other lines built in the area, too, but my presentation on the subject is 8 time zones away. Nasty surprise for the Germans.

Hi!
What railway lines a You referring to?
Apart from what is mentioned I am not aware of any.
Soviet " Feldbahnen?
On the German side there are the 3 big ( unfinished) German "Heeresfeldbahnen" west of Stalingrad?
Regards,
Goran

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 9
RE: Baku - astrkhan railroad - 7/5/2011 12:37:56 AM   
herwin

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL:

Hi!
Soviet " Feldbahnen?
On the German side there are the 3 big ( unfinished) German "Heeresfeldbahnen" west of Stalingrad?
Regards,
Goran

Like I said, my sources are eight time zones away. As I recall there were new lines to the Volga east bank between Saratov and Stalingrad, to the Volga east bank immediately south-east of Stalingrad, a line some distance east of the Volga connecting Astrakhan to the refineries near Saratov, and the line already mentioned between Astrakhan and Baku.

Harry Erwin

(in reply to goranw)
Post #: 10
RE: Baku - astrkhan railroad - 7/5/2011 11:36:11 AM   
goranw

quote:

ORIGINAL: herwin

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL:

Hi!
Soviet " Feldbahnen?
Regards,
Goran

Like I said, my sources are eight time zones away. As I recall there were new lines to the Volga east bank between Saratov and Stalingrad, to the Volga east bank immediately south-east of Stalingrad, a line some distance east of the Volga connecting Astrakhan to the refineries near Saratov, and the line already mentioned between Astrakhan and Baku.

Hi!
These are my sources. From Soviet ww2 railway-atlas.
Regards,
Goran

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by goranw -- 7/5/2011 11:37:02 AM >

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 11
RE: Baku - astrkhan railroad - 7/5/2011 2:38:00 PM   
herwin

Yes, a number of those lines were either built or improved in 1941-42.

Harry Erwin

(in reply to goranw)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Baku - astrkhan railroad Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI