Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Das darf nicht var sein!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Das darf nicht var sein! Page: <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/3/2011 10:56:33 AM   
Canoerebel

5/1/42

DEI:  The Allies complete the latest unloading at Port Blair and Oosthaven.  No signs of enemy activity.  The Allies must withdraw four 25-plane P-40E squadrons in three days, but three new fighters squadrons will arrive at Oosthaven tonight or tomorrow night, totaling 75 aircraft.

Malaya/Burma:  An IJ unit has marched through the jungle towards the west coast, intent on picking up the two vacated Allied bases (Tavoy and name-escapes-me).  I could reinforce by air or fast transport, but better, I think, to allow a weak unit to reclaim this bases.  Then, when the times comes to invade, the Allies can recapture them quickly.  That's better than fighting for them now and arousing enemy awareness of their importance to future plans.  The Burma Army unit claimed a vacant Prome today, providing further evidence that Japan has a very week force here.

China:  The Chinese are awaiting reinforcements at Kienko, Ankang, and Psiangang (spelling?) before resuming attacks.  The Ankang and Psiang attacks will occur in no more than a few days and will easily succeed then.  Kienko I'm still not sure about.

NoPac:  The Japanese are giving alot of attention to bringing troops to Ominato for eventual counterinvasion.  Para's airfield went to level three.  I may try a 4EB raid on Shikuka's oil, though supplies to support the campaign are running low.

SoPac:  Still no IJ attack at Pago Pago.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1111
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/3/2011 2:44:43 PM   
paullus99

Been trying to suss out what your opponent may be thinking at the moment. His relative inactivity may signify that he is building up for a major offensive move - and if he has convinced himself that operations up in te Kuriles need to be dealt with post-haste (perhaps thinking that you have further operations planned or massive resources committed up there), he may counter-invade & perhaps make a move towards Dutch Harbor as well.

Of course, if he does so & even commits the KB in support - you are free to move against Malaysia at your leisure under the cover of your own carrier fleet.

The alternative is that he is preparing for a mass-move against Java & Sumatra - but the fact that he is waiting so long to get going means that each day makes the attach that much more expensive and ultimately unlikely to succeed (given the fact he needs to keep one eye on China & half of the other in the Kuriles).

I suspect his lack of Activity at Pago-Pago means he realized that he's "gone down the rabbit hole" there & is sitting at the end of a long logistical string with nothing really to show for it (since you never commited your carriers in the region). You can handle that area with LBA & surface forces, as long as the KB is elsewhere - and once you start getting CVEs & CVLs, you can dedicate your own small "mini-allied KB" to raid his supply lines & eventually starve those troops out.

He's facing too many crises at the moment, with too few resources to go around to deal with any of them effectively - and even dealing with them in the wrong order just puts him further and further behind. Looking at the map, he should be prepared to pull back in China to extend your supply lines & wait until supply problems force you to retreat back to your MLR anyway. Moves into the Kuriles should be swift and overpowering - taking back those bases in the shortest period of time by generating the largest amount of violence (with LBA & home-island reinforcements). Pago-Pago is a sink-hole & should either be abandoned - and the troops used to reinforce positions in the Solomons (and work should already be in progress to make the Gilberts an expensive proposition).

And lastly (though firstly here), he should decend on your Sumatran position with the maximum force available - troops, surface and air assets, and LBA, with the idea of cutting off any further reinforcements or supply. But, this is a very delicate proposition, and given what he's lost so far in other operations, he's lost the "slack" or the ability to suffer necessary losses to reach his objectives. He has lost the "fat" and now he's going to be loosing vitals, which will prevent his success in the future.

Just my thoughts.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1112
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/3/2011 9:26:49 PM   
Canoerebel

5/2/42

Paullus99:  Your analysis seems right to me.  I've been getting lots of SigInt of Japanese troops bound for Ominato and Nagoya, which I think are his counterinvasion forces.  There's plenty of enemy shipping and aircraft in the Kuriles, now.  And the fact that Paramushiro just went to level three airfield must have bothered him, as he's been trying to bomb the base to halt such building.  He apparently doesn't realize that the Kuriles are "paper tigers" and little more, now, so the longer he delays the better.

SoPac:  Tanks and infantry are on the way to reinforce Pago Pago, though what the situation will be like in ten days is up for debate.  38th USA Div., Southwest HQ, just arrived at San Fran.  She'll prep for Tarawa and join the rest of the Tarawa-invasion troops at San Diego.  All the transports are in place.  It might be possible for this invasion to depart CONUS within the week.  Ideally, I'd like to time this to a point when Steve's attention is elsewhere (Kuriles and/or DEI), but I have a feeling that by the time the invasion can near Tarawa, things will be breaking loose somewhere.

DEI:  No apparent enemy moves imminent.  Oosthaven airfield will reach level eight in a few days.  Palembang forts are at 5.22 and increasing .02 per day.

China:  The Allies will try three nudges tomorrow, with reinforcements on the way to all three places in case the nudges aren't sufficient.

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 1113
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/4/2011 1:37:42 PM   
Canoerebel

5/3/42

CenPac:  BB Oklahoma was torpedoed by a sub and went under.  She was the last of the Pearl Harbor victims and was midway between Pearl and San Fran when disaster struck.

NoPac:  Several enemy subs are parked on the "bombardment route" for the BB Warspite and Colorado bombardment runs vs. Amchitka.

SoPac:  Political points will be difficult to come by, as usual, for the restricted units prepping for Tarawa.  A Marine RCT and 38th Division are unrestricted, but I should be able to buy one more RCT, several artillery units, and an armored unit.  These troops will be sent to Pearl via strategic mode, unload, and then re-load combat.  I'd like them to be ready when the Japanese reveal their carriers against NoPac or the DEI.  Further south, no IJ attack at Pago Pago.  The Allied reinforcement TFs are making good time with the first to arrive at Christmas Island in about two days.

DEI:  The quiet continues.  There is s small Japanese TF about to transit the northern Java Sea.  Steve does this from time to time, apparently to test defenses, which I usually stand down against "small fry."  Oosthaven airfield went to level eight.  I have to withdraw 75 fighters in two days, but 75 reinforcements just arrived at Oosthaven.

China:  The Allies are close to taking Psiangtang, south of Changsha.  A large stack of reinforcements may or may not be needed, but are just a day or two away.  Once the Allies take this base, the army may move further east, but sooner or later the target is Kukong, where the Allies will soon have 2900 AV facing about 900 IJ AV including the fresh 22nd Division.  Up north, the Allies will have a huge stack at Anyang (near Chengchow and Loyang) in a few days, allowing them to blow through that defense.  The Allies will try a probing deliberate attack at Singyan tomorrow, with some 2,500 AV vs. two enemy units of unknown strength.  So there are four hot spots for Japan to deal with at present.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1114
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/4/2011 11:25:24 PM   
Canoerebel

5/4/42

China:  The Chinese blow out a weak unit a hex from Singyang, but will now back up to deal with a unit trying to cut the road to Nanyang.  Up at Anyang, the Chinese stack will be in position to attack tomorrow and will greatly outnumber the Japanese stack. Another Chinese stack will attack at Psiangyang (near Changsha) tomorrow and likewise will prevail.  I haven't attacked at Kukong yet as I'm awaiting arrival of another unit.

NoPac:  Quiet.

SoPac:  Still no IJ attack at Pago Pago.

Luzon:  SigInt that 4th Div. is still at Bataan.  Why?

DEI: Quiet here, too.  The American CD unit has arrived on map and will reach Benkolen in about six days.  That's the last of the big coastal defense forces.  Otherwise, the DEI remains quiet.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1115
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/5/2011 2:01:37 PM   
Canoerebel

In an email yesterday, Chez Da Jez said he doesn't know what to do about Palembang.  Then, in a post in Cribtop's AAR, he noted that Palembang has 55 units and that the Allies have 300 fighters based there and at Oosthaven.  Is this "perplexitiy" genuine or part of a maskirovka?

I think it's genuine, based upon intuition derived from the familiarity with Steve's style that has developed over the game.  Steve's also a straight shooter that doesn't seem to enjoy misinformation even in a gaming way.  If he's truly perplexed, that makes predicting what he's going to do next tough to do.  He might put off dealing with Sumatra as long as possible, instead focusing on the troublesome situations in NoPac, China, and (to a lesser extent) Pago Pago.

If it is part of a maskirovka, the only "new" target I can envision him coming for is north New Zealand.  Other possibilities might be Hawaii or the Aleutians, but I think they are less likely.  He certainly has plenty of infantry divisions to commit to a massive operation, though committing the ships, men and time needed for a major undertaking will really hurt him in the DEI.  In the first place, as soon as the KB shows up somewhere like SoPac or NoPac, the Allies are ready to move on Malaya/Burma.  The Allies will also be ready to move on Tarawa from Pearl Harbor commencing in about 15 days.

If Steve goes anywhere but Sumatra, the Allies will be ready to go on the offensive in those two areas.  If he does bite the bullet to focus on Sumatra, then the Allies will immediately proceed with the Tarawa invasion (and possibly Malaya, depending on a more complicated evaluation of risks and opportunities).

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1116
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/5/2011 3:26:26 PM   
Canoerebel

5/5/42

DEI:  The quiet continues - no appearance of imminent Japanese invasions - so here's a look at the three strongpoints of Fortress Sumatra;

Palembang:  1533 AV, 5.28 forts, 6.87 airfield, 191k supply; one CD unit (276 US Arty with eight 155mm guns).

Oosthaven:  1529 AV, 4.51 forts; 8.05 airfield; 30k supply; six CD uinits:  Tarakan (ten 120mm and eleven 75mm); 5th Aussie (sixteen 6"); 7th Aussie (four 6"); 1st Indian (eight 6"); 2nd Indian (eight 6"); Sarawak (two 6").

Benkolen:  634 AV, 3.88 forts; 6.20 airfield; 10k supply; two CD units with one more on the way:  Medan (four 150mm and six 75mm) and C/D Aussie Heavy Reg't (five 155mm).  An American coastal arty unit will arrive in about a week.

Oosthaven is the strongpoint, but here's how the Allies handle a major landing at any of these three locations:

Palembang:  With terrain effects, forts, and prep bonus, Allied adjusted AV will be well in excess of 4,500 AV.  That means there's no way the enemy can bring enough to land here and take it short term.  If the enemy were to land here, the Allies would employ massed air attacks and would strongly reinforce using units no longer needed to defend other beaches.  Within a week, the Allied AV would rise to at least 2,500 yielding an adjusted AV of something more than 7,500.

Oosthaven:  With 1500 AV behind four forts but poor defensive terrain, the adjusted AV would not be much more than 1500.  This means the Allies have to maul the troops while landing.  The abundance of CD guns will help as will Allied air power.  The Allies would almost certainly commit the weight of their combat ships, at least if the invasion were to take place in the near term.  If, on the other hand, the enemy takes western Java, builds the airfields at Batavia and Merak large, and impose a titanic air and naval air presence in the immediate area, the Allies would have to weight options carefully.  But it will take weeks or months for Japan to orchestrate these conditions - precious time that Japan doesn't have.  However, you can see why the Allies will look for a chance to pounce on an invasion of Java by employing carriers and combat TFs under favorable conditions.

Benkolen:  With just 650 AV behind three forts on rough terrain, this base might seem the most desirable to Japan.  The adjusted AV of perhaps 2,000 is manageable, but this is the base most exposed to interdiction by Allied carriers and combat ships, and I would commit them in a major way if I could destroy or maul the enemy invasion at or before the beaches.

Counterinvasion(s):  If the Japanese come for Java or Sumatra in the next month to six weeks, the Allies are in position to implement counterinvasions of Malaya/Burma and the Gilbert Islands.  These operations are important in their own right, but the primary purpose is to disorient Steve just when he's trying to focus on critical operations in the DEI.

NoPac:  Intel and patrols indicate that Japan is preparing for a massive counterinvasion of Paramushiro and Onnekotan.  The Allies have enough units here to give the impression "danger," but this impression is misleading.  The Allies are hoping Japan will unleash a tiger up here finding only a squirrel as quarry.

China:  The Chiense just blew through two depleted IJ divisions (39 and 34) and one brigade at Psiangtang, near Changsha.  This Chinese army will now proceed towards Kukong to help with the meeting engagement that is developing there.  Meanwhile, much of the Changsha garrison will sally forth to deal with those to depleted IJA divisions.  Up at Anyang, a large Chinese army will attack tomorrow and should easily take that base.  The Chinese are remaining "within themselves" - i.e., not going too far and getting spread out, but instead focusing on demolishing enemy units.  The overall situation in China clearly has Steve's attention.  He's sending in reinforcements, which presumably means he won't have quite as many troops available to deal with the Pacific and DEI.

Burma:  Very interesting situation in Burma.  Allies suspicions that Burma is weakly defended are correct.  The probing Burma Army unit moving southeast from Prome has found just one enemy unit at Rangoon.  From SigInt, we expect that unit is 15th Army HQ.  Steve will reinforce, but he doesn't have much in Burma, meaning an Allied invasion could give him fits.  The Allies have 27h USA Division and two UK brigades forming the core of the invasion force.  They are at Colombo awaiting the opporunity.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1117
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/5/2011 4:44:49 PM   
paullus99

You almost need to figure out a way to sucker him into invading - because there are so many ripe opportunities right now (China, Burma, CenPac). If he rushes a landing somewhere - anyone of the beaches is fine, you can freely proceed with all or any combination of operations you currently have plans.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1118
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/5/2011 5:09:19 PM   
Cribtop

FWIW, I think Chez' post in my AAR is a sign of true perplexity. I had just referenced your AAR and Sumatra and you and others chimed in with how Sumatra is suddenly a scary word for JFBs. It seems to me Chez is hurting on multiple fronts and is choosing to address the Kuriles first. He doesn't seem to realize that Java is there for the taking and that he needs the western Java bases to support Sumatra. My suggestion is to hold a Malaya/Burma counter invasion as the trump card, but to initiate the Tarawa op as soon after he commits big to the Kuriles as possible. Why? Chez seems to react to negative events on other fronts by further delaying taking action on the Sumatran "barking dog" (little lawyer phrase there that I trust you get, Dan). You may not have the PPs for my suggestion, but if you do...

< Message edited by Cribtop -- 7/5/2011 5:10:25 PM >

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 1119
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/5/2011 5:14:48 PM   
Canoerebel

I have the PPs for the Tarawa invasion - 38th Division and a Marine RCT are ready to go, and I can afford the tank unit and two Army RCT that are currently restricted.  That should be enough, I would think.  I'll have plenty of AP, which means quicky unloading, and two BBs, but I won't have any air cover.

If I can get enough PPs, I'll also try to buy the troops slated for Baker Island.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 1120
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/5/2011 5:49:17 PM   
vettim89

I realize now that it may be too late to attempt what I am about to suggest, but perhaps you might consider a change in long range strategic goals. To this point your thinking has been that your opponent will eventually take Sumatra or at least attempt to take it from you. You have largely conceded Java as part of your build up in southern Sumatra. Have you considered changing from a defensive strategy to an offensive one in the western DEI. So instead of taking Tarawa why not use those troops to reinforce western Java? You could build up Merak, Batavia and Benkholen (the latter has excellant defensive terrain). As you pour more units into this region you could slowly work east up Java.

Yes this would leave the eastern Pacific vulnerable but with the Allies in possession of Palembang and being able to threaten Soerobaja, Chez would be limited to the fuel produced on Borneo and points north. Point being that the fuel costs alone would prohibit any overly adventuresome activities in the SoPac by the Japanese.

The objective in taking/retaking bases in the SoPac and CentPac is to provide stepping stones into the Japanese interior. If you can hold the western DEI, you will have avoided a large portion of those necessary steps. From Java/Sumatra you could strike Borneo and then the PI, Malaya, or even Indochina. I know there are a lot of inherent dangers playing in Japan's back yard, but if you are already there why not run with it.

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1121
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/5/2011 6:11:06 PM   
Canoerebel

Tim, the difficulty in expanding the Allied defensive perimeter to Java is that this is Scenario Two.  Japan gets four extra divisions, so has alot of infantry power to work with.  With so many bases on Java, there's no way to prevent Japan from landing in strength and then marching west to deal with such an Allied defense.  And Japan could easily bring ten to fifteen divisions.  Against that, three or four Allied divisions wouldn't stand a chance.

Allied operations elsewhere are also of benefit to the Allies in Sumatra.  These operations, when properly conceived and implemented, can confuse the enemy and siphon off critical resources.  At present, for instance, Steve has committed several cruisers and some kind of small carrier force to the Kuriles, at least one BB to SoPac, and more troops to China.

The invasion of Tarawa will pose a grave threat to Steve's lengthy LOC from the Solomons Luganville to Noumea to Fiji to Pago Pago.  This will probably worry him "more than normal" because he's put alot of time and effort into this campaign and has been one of his successes.   So, threatening "his baby" should result in further confusion and could well result in more misallocation of assets.

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 1122
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/5/2011 7:35:38 PM   
vettim89

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Tim, the difficulty in expanding the Allied defensive perimeter to Java is that this is Scenario Two.  Japan gets four extra divisions, so has alot of infantry power to work with.  With so many bases on Java, there's no way to prevent Japan from landing in strength and then marching west to deal with such an Allied defense.  And Japan could easily bring ten to fifteen divisions.  Against that, three or four Allied divisions wouldn't stand a chance.

Allied operations elsewhere are also of benefit to the Allies in Sumatra.  These operations, when properly conceived and implemented, can confuse the enemy and siphon off critical resources.  At present, for instance, Steve has committed several cruisers and some kind of small carrier force to the Kuriles, at least one BB to SoPac, and more troops to China.

The invasion of Tarawa will pose a grave threat to Steve's lengthy LOC from the Solomons Luganville to Noumea to Fiji to Pago Pago.  This will probably worry him "more than normal" because he's put alot of time and effort into this campaign and has been one of his successes.   So, threatening "his baby" should result in further confusion and could well result in more misallocation of assets.

I agree about the problems with the Sc. 2 OOB, but the benefits of fixing the bulk of the IJA force in place could very well outweight the risks. Yes, Steve could throw the whole enchilada at you but he would have to bring his entire reserve of unrestricted divisions. If his free force is locked in battle in the DEI, then it is not in Oz, or India, or NZ. What's more is that if all this combat strength is fixated in the SRA, he will be vulnerable elsewhere.

You are about to start receiving CB units at an amazing rate. A bunch of those units deployed to Sumatra and western Java may create a situation where you can build forts faster than your opponent knocks them down. As I said initially, it may be too late to do this as Chez may arrive on Java in force before you can get the units in place. Still it is an interesting strategic problem.

Where did your reckless abandon evaporate to? When you invaded the Kuriles, you had to know it was with great risk. Look what it bought you: the time to make southern Sumatra nearly unconquerable. Yes, you might lose some units if you go all in in the western DEI, but that is not a foregone conclusion. In my mind it is much less risky than the Kuriles campaign. Tarawa is even riskier because even if your assault is sucessful you can only leave a marginal garrison there. Also it is in the midst of innumerable Japanese bases where it will be isolated and cut off. Western Java can be easily supported with several large bases on Sumatra.

My initial point was that your view of the SRA up to this point has been to fortify it like crazy then sit back and wait for the enemy to come against your fortress. You are conceding the initiative to him. Nemo will not be happy

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1123
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/5/2011 7:41:01 PM   
Canoerebel

Oh, I still have the initiative!

Here's thing - at this point in the game I would like Chez to invade New Zealand, Oz, or India.  That would be a strategic misallocation of forces. It would essentially guarantee that the Allies would always hold eastern Sumatra, which is the critical issue in the game, and the Allies would also immediately go on the offensive elsewhere (Malaya, Burma and the Gilberts).

What I don't want to do is to get bogged down in a huge land campaign where I commit so much that I eliminate my ability to move offensively elsewhere.  That's what I think a major effort to reinforce Java would lead to.

But, as you note, it's a moot question - it's too late to put such a plan into effect at this late a date.

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 1124
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/5/2011 8:07:45 PM   
ny59giants

I would tend to favor a re-capture of Burma. With Rangoon back in your hands, you could unload massive amounts of supplies that could be moved to China by manipulation of the supply draw buttons. Each base could have the 25k button hit and once the supply is there just hit the next base with it and move it there. 100k or 200k in China would make his life really hard as you could base 4e bombers there.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1125
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/6/2011 2:52:24 PM   
Canoerebel

5/6/42

DEI:  No sign of imminent enemy invasion of Java or Sumatra.  The Japanese have landed at the small Sumatran port city of Bengkalis, which was undefended.  On Borneo, the Japanese took Brunei.  Allied carriers and some capital ships are moving west a bit to be in better position to move into the Bay of Bengal in case an opportunity or need arises there (see below).

Bay of Bengal:  The Allies are going to set the table to invade Malaya/Thailand, and will proceed if conditions still look favorable when the table is set in three or four days.  We believe Burma and Thailand are lightly guarded.  We also believe a strong move there would seriously disorient/confuse/vex the enemy.  A small IJA cav regiment (27 AV) just took the vacant base of Megui, leaving Tavoy as the sole Allied base on the west coast of the peninsual.  Here's the plan:  by fast transport, the Allies will land a US RCT at Tavoy.  By air transport, the Allies would carry part of an RAF base force there.  This would permit at leat a small amount of RAF fighter CAP at Tavoy.  As this was unfolding, the Allies would suddenly recon Moulmein and land there if vacant.  If not vacant, the Allies would land in force at Tavoy and exploit from there.  The troops include a Brit recce armored unit that could move fast.  Other troops will include 27th USA Div., two Brit brigades, a US tank unit, and a Marine battalion.  It is believed that Rangoon is lightly held and poorly supplied, so that the only decent enemy airbase in vicinity is Bangkok.  I think it is also likely that the bulk of enemy air is down south.  I'd like to use the Allied carriers to cover the operation, but probably won't risk removing them from the Sumatra station unless I get confirmation in the meantime that the KB is far away.  So, there are a number of factors that must turn positive in order for the Allis to proceed, but I want the table set to act quickly.  And since the Allied troops are all at Colombo, it won't take long to preposition them west of Port Blair.

China:  With overwhelming odds in their favor at Anyang, the Chinese only manage a 2:1 dropping forts from 2 to 1.  Another nudge tomorrow should do the trick.

NoPac:  Warspite and Colorado at steaming south to Pearl, where they'll serve as the heavy ships in the upcoming Tarawa invasion.  Since Maryland and Idaho are on the way to the yards at Seattle, this leaves only Tennessee in NoPac.

CenPac:  The Tarawa invasion force will begin loading (strat mode) at San Diego tomorrow, make for Pearl, unload, and then combat load.  Japan hasn't built the facilities at Tarawa or nearby Nauru and Ocean, so this looks like a weakly defended backwater (I hope).

SoPac:  The lead elements of the Pago Pago relief force are making good time.  A battalion of 21st RCT is on transports just south of Christmas Island.  The rest of 21 RCT and a US Army tank unit are few days behind.  N Force Detachment out of Auckland is also on the way.  No signs of enemy activity around PP at the moment.  Given ten more days of quiet, the Japanese situation at Pago Pago will turn from bad to really bad.

Synopsis:  Alof of wheels in motion for the Allies.  I really like the feel of the overall scheme, but I will not lose sight of the fact that everything hinges on the defense of Sumatra now.  Any other Allied operation must benefit Sumatra.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 1126
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/6/2011 4:34:05 PM   
Canoerebel

The situation in the Bay of Bengal, lower Burma, and upper Malaya 5/16/42:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1127
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/7/2011 9:21:22 AM   
GreyJoy

CR...it really looks good!
Based on how many units i've seen thrown against me in scenario 2 it's unbelievable how lightly Burma-Thailand is guarded...have you managed to track down the position of all the unrestricted divisions?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1128
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/7/2011 1:43:06 PM   
Canoerebel

In the aftermath of the fall of Singapore and Bataan, I have lost track of most of the IJA divisions, especially those that have been or could be committed in the Pacific. 

Here's what I do know about the Pacific.  SigInt just showed 4th Div. at Bataan.  SigInt reported 52nd Div. on a maru bound for Singapore (a weird thing if true).  38th Div. is at Sabang.  54th Div. is at Ominato, Japan (in preparation for going to the Kuriles, I believe).  7th is on Hokkaido.

The Chinese offensive that has roughed up at least four divisions is of utmost importance, as it has created a crisis which compels STeve (or impels him by virtue of his worries) to feed divisions into that battle.  Divisions roughed up thus far: 34, 36, 39, 104.  

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1129
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/7/2011 1:52:32 PM   
paullus99

Any idea what units he committed to Point Blair? Whatever he sent must have been roughed up quite a bit - perhaps another Division that is out of the fight for a while.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1130
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/7/2011 2:15:27 PM   
Canoerebel

Steve has been hoarding or hiding his divisions.  The invasions of Port Blair and Pago Pago consisted of regiments or naval guard units, nothing larger.  (I confess that those regiments could be part or all of division-sized units, but I haven't kept close enough track to know - IE, I don't know which at start IJ regiments can be combined to create divisions.)

On the one hand, Steve has alot of big ground units to work with, this being Scenario Two and the Allies also having triggered the reinforcements by invading the Kuriles.  On the other hand, Steve has suffered some important attrition to his carriers, capital ships, and transports.  I don't know just how much I've whittled down his ability to transport big ground units, but I think it's relatively significant. 

He could come for New Zealand, Australia, or Hawaii, which are all under-protected, but I would welcome any of those moves as the Allies could counter elsewhere in strategically more important ways.

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 1131
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/7/2011 2:37:02 PM   
witpqs

quote:

Steve has been hoarding or hiding his divisions.

I's keeps telling ya. "Mind the West Coast" I says. "Guard the Golden Gate" I says. Dat man is up to no good.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1132
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/7/2011 2:42:17 PM   
Canoerebel

That thought ran through my mind during the dark recesses of the night, when imagination runs amock, but here's the thing:  Due to previous combat action, Steve is very low on AOs, the KB is somewhat reduced, and alot of xAPs have been trashed.  Moreover, BB Hiei - an almost sure KB escort - was recently in action at Pago Pago.  So Steve's ability to carry massive amounts of infantry long distances is insufficient to allow a crazy Hail Mary to succeed.  Or, that's my evaluation of things. 

Now, an invasion of Oz or New Zealand (or possibly even Hawaii) wouldn't totally shock me.  But the USA and, at least in the near term, India, would.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1133
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/7/2011 3:11:42 PM   
witpqs

I'm joking, and you're waking up in cold sweats having nightmares!

What have I done? What have I done...

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1134
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/7/2011 3:54:08 PM   
Canoerebel

Here's a summary of Japanese capital ship disposition.  In looking at this summary, I'm always using a prism of "what's available in the DEI" since that's the critical battlefield.  Ships sunk or currently on station in CenPac or the Kuriles are, IMO, way out of position.  Confirmed sunk ships in red.

Fleet Carriers
                     Shokaku Last seen near Rossell Island, Solomons, 2/2/42.
                       Zuikaku Last seen near Rossell Island 2/2/42.
                       Akagi Last seen near north Borneo 4/15/42.
                       Kaga - Last seen near north Borneo 4/15/42
                       Soryu - Last seen near north Borneo 4/15/42    
                       Hiryu - Last seen near north Borneo 4/15/42
                       Junyo (3/42) - Pure hunch she's in the Kuriles.
                       Hiyo (7/42) - If available, probably in the Kuriles.

Light Carriers
                      Ryujo  sunk near Dempassar 02/26/42
                       Zuiho  sunk near Dempassar 02/26/42
                       Shoho - sunk in the Java Sea 02/11/42
                       Ryuho (11/42)

Escort Carriers
                      Taiyo reportedly took three sub-launched torps near Kendari 3/4/42, one torp from a sub near Calayan 5/7/42 “heavy damage”
                      Hosho Last seen near Makassar 1/25/42

Battleships

Hiei - Pago Pago 4/26/42
                       Kirishima - with Shokaku and Zuikaku near Rossell Island 2/2/42
                       Mutsu Java Sea on 3/25/42
                       Nagato Java Sea 3/25/42
                       Fuso  moderate damage near Denpasar 02/26/42
                       Kongo took at least one torp and five bombs near Port Blair 4/14/42
                       Haruna – sunk near Port Blair 4/14/186187
                        Yamashiro Java Sea 3/25/42
                        Ise – sunk near Port Blair 4/14/42
                         Hyuga takes torpedo near Babeldaob 12/28/41
                        Yamato (5/42)
                        Musashi (12/42)

Heavy Cruisers

TonePago Pago 4/26/42
                 Chikuma - Pago Pago 4/26/42
                         Mogami  at Tarakan 3/30/42
                         Suzuya  Donggala 3/22/42
                         Kumano – near Makassar 1/25/42
                         Mikuma – Kuriles 4/21/42 and 5/7/42
                         Chokai at Lautem 3/25/42
                         Maya – Java Sea 3/25/42
                         Ashigara  Kuriles 4/22/42 and 5/7/42
                         Takao  Lautem 3/9/42
                          Atago – Lautem 3/9/42
                          Myoko – heavily damaged near Denpassar 02/26/42 and later confirmed sunk.
                          Hagura  near Makassar 1/25/42 and 3/28/42
                          Nachi – near Makassar 3/28/42
                          Aoba with Shokaku and Zuikaku near Rossell Island 2/2/42
                          Kinugasa with Shokaku and Zuikaku near Aleutians 1/14/42
                          Furutaka  light damage near Port Blair 4/13/42
                          Kako  heavily damaged near Port Blair 4/13/42 (probably sunk)
                          CS Mizuho at Kendari 1/16/42
                          CS Chitose
                           CS Chiyoda – near Port Blair 4/13/42
                          CS Nisshin (2/42)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1135
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/7/2011 4:55:06 PM   
Canoerebel

5/7/42

Here we are at the five-month anniversary of Pearl Harbor.  The Allies still hold Java and eastern Sumatra, have successfully invaded the Kuriles (though only for temporary purposes), and have materially attrited enemy capital ships and army divisions.  That's good progress for this early date.

Off Luzon:  S-39 puts a torp into CVE Taiyo, inflicting "heavy damage."  Taiyo is the ship that took three sub-launched torps near Kendari just a couple of months ago, so she's doing okay considering what she's been through.  However, that puts her (and three other sunk CVLs) out of commission for the impending Battle of the DEI, whenever it actually gets underway.

DEI:  Patrols report the KB - at least five fleet carriers - at Balikpan.  This gets our full attention and puts a halt to any budding notions that the Allies could briefly send carriers up to the Bay of Bengal.  No sign of imminent invasion though.

Bay of Bengal:  An IJ combat TF, which looks pretty stout, is making it's way up Malaya's west coast as though heading for Rangoon or possibly to interdict what little Allied shipping is at Port Blair.  It might be part of a big fast transport convoy carrying supply to Rangoon.  The Allies have a fairly small combat TF flagged by CA Portland nearby.  This TF will stay close enough to take action if needed.  The American FT TF carrying a battalion of US Army troops departed Colombo and is well on its way to the area.  If an opportunity presents itself this force can land at Allied-held Tavoy or even invade Moulmein if undefended.

China:  The Chinese stack savaged 10 IJ units at Anyang, including another whipping of 36th Div.  The Japanese lost at least 600 squads.  The Japanese are sending mucho reinforcements, including the stack one at Changsha, this way, so the Chinese will stay within themselves in this sector to protect Nanyang and Sian (and the Chengchow and Loyang bases until threatened by a dangerously large force).  Down south, Chinese stacks are on the move between Changsha and Kukong to threaten two different IJ armies.

CenPac:  The Tarawa and Baker invasion troops begin loading at San Diego for the trip to Pear Harbor tonight.

SoPac:  All quiet around Pago Pago at the moment.  Allied reinforcements may be just five or six days out now.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1136
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/7/2011 6:43:24 PM   
Cribtop

You still hold Chengchow and Loyang!?! Did you re-take them or never lost them?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1137
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/7/2011 6:51:27 PM   
Canoerebel

I evacuated them very early in the war to establish my MLR in the forests east of Sian.  When Steve drew down his army in this theater to reinforce the Changsha sector, the Chinese advanced and reclaimed Chengchow, Loyang, and took Kaiefeng and Anyang.

I bet you Steve is hoping to trap the Chinese stack in such an advanced position by moving behind them towards Sian, but that's a move I'm waiting for.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 1138
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/7/2011 7:20:28 PM   
vettim89

The more I read this, the more I am starting to get this little gnawing feeling in the back of my head that Steve may not be even thinking about the DEE right now. Maybe its all those missing unrestricted Divisions or maybe the lack of interference with the build up around southern Sumatra. Then again it my just be the Chef Boy-R-De Spagheti and Meatballs I ate last night gnawing at me

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1139
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/7/2011 7:32:06 PM   
Canoerebel

Tim, it's a possibility I keep in mind.  But nearly anywhere else he goes he'd have to take the KB, so as long as the Japanese carriers are around I feel fairly certain that he's not about to toss a Hail Mary.

Here's a mystery that really puzzles me.  I got SigInt a few days ago that 4th Division is at Bataan, which fell months ago.  He certainly doesn't need the unit there, so it should have been moved to Manila weeks and weeks ago so that it would be in position to board transports (when available) and move out as expeditiously as possible.

This little tidbit and many others suggest that Steve isn't sure where he's going or what he wants to do.  What other little things, you ask?  Well, like leaving dozens of bases scattered over the map in Allied hands instead of promptly dealing with them.  Little bases in the Philippines, Celebes, Borneo and New Guinea that allow the Allies to conduct patrols deep in the enemy's rear.  Little bases like Tavoy that allow the Allies to toy with the idea of a major landing behind the Japanese lines in Burma.  Bases like Port Moresby, Hollandia, and Efate, which create potential weaknesses in what should already be an unbroken Japanese MLR.  And a failure to attend to key bases like Horn Island, Merauke, Darwin, Derby and Port Headland.

While I'm cognizant of Japan's power and the possibility that Steve might pull a masterful surprise, I think it's much more likely that he's floundering right now; vacillating between what priorities to assign Pago Pago, the Kuriles, the DEI, China, and Burma.

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 1140
Page:   <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Das darf nicht var sein! Page: <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI