Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Stand off ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Stand off ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Stand off ? - 7/8/2011 12:38:35 AM   
cmdrsam

Not sure where to put this so here it goes. There is now a stand off button that is available now on the Task force screen. What is this? Is this like a screening force where they lead the way by x amount of hexes or do they act as followers?
Post #: 1
RE: Stand off ? - 7/8/2011 12:50:32 AM   
crsutton

Have yet to see it or just never noticed it. Are you using a recent beta?

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to cmdrsam)
Post #: 2
RE: Stand off ? - 7/8/2011 12:58:33 AM   
Sardaukar

Stand off range, is available with Follow TF command and allows TF to follow other at selected distance. 

So, to clarify (while it being available when selecting Follow TF tells it all), so if you want a screening TF:

- make Surface Combat TF
- Make other TF, select Follow TF (above TF), and this TF will trail above TF at set distance.

< Message edited by Sardaukar -- 7/8/2011 1:02:07 AM >

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 3
RE: Stand off ? - 7/8/2011 1:15:59 AM   
cmdrsam

Yes sir. Its beta, forget which one it is not the latest but think its beta m perhaps.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 4
RE: Stand off ? - 7/8/2011 1:17:24 AM   
cmdrsam

Well if follow is for settting screens. Then I guess Im not following stand off? Another guess perhaps would be stand off distance from a threat?

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 5
RE: Stand off ? - 7/8/2011 1:34:12 AM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: cmdrsam

Well if follow is for settting screens. Then I guess Im not following stand off? Another guess perhaps would be stand off distance from a threat?

No.

Follow..is to follow someone. You are setting THIS TF to follow ANOTHER TF.

Read again what I wrote in previous post, if you want "screening TF". That TF would be separate TF.

In same TF, "screen" is provided automatically by surface combat ships in TF. That would have nothing to do wuth "stand off range".

Example:

You form CV TF with 2 CV, 2 fast BB, 2 CA, 2 CLAA, 17 DD. If TF is alone, "screen" is provided by ships in same TF in same hex.

But:

Sometimes you'd want "screen TF" as scouting force.

Then you could for example form two TFs:

TF1: 1 CL, 4 DD
TF2: 2 BB, 2 CA, 2 CL, 12 DD.

First you set TF1 destination, then:

set TF2 to follow TF1 with desired standoff range, lets say 1.

Result: TF2 will follow TF2 1 hex behind.

< Message edited by Sardaukar -- 7/8/2011 1:48:52 AM >

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to cmdrsam)
Post #: 6
RE: Stand off ? - 7/8/2011 2:12:23 AM   
cmdrsam

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: cmdrsam

No.

Follow..is to follow someone. You are setting THIS TF to follow ANOTHER TF.

Read again what I wrote in previous post, if you want "screening TF". That TF would be separate TF.

In same TF, "screen" is provided automatically by surface combat ships in TF. That would have nothing to do wuth "stand off range".

Example:

You form CV TF with 2 CV, 2 fast BB, 2 CA, 2 CLAA, 17 DD. If TF is alone, "screen" is provided by ships in same TF in same hex.

But:

Sometimes you'd want "screen TF" as scouting force.

Then you could for example form two TFs:

TF1: 1 CL, 4 DD
TF2: 2 BB, 2 CA, 2 CL, 12 DD.

First you set TF1 destination, then:

set TF2 to follow TF1 with desired standoff range, lets say 1.

Result: TF2 will follow TF2 1 hex behind.

I get what you are saying. But it still seems like it is a follow order. Here is my reasoning. Lets say I want 4 DD to lead the way for a Surface combat group of 2 BB, 4 CA, 1 CL and 5 DD's. I would set the 4 DD's to a destination point. I then have the Other group set to follow the DD's. There is a toggle switch for 0 to however many hexes back I want. But your discription is for stand off which to me is the same as the follow feature. Or am I just that dang thick skulled? LOL.

Allright just looked and the two buttons are trail and stand off and both have the same max settings of 3 hexes. to me trail and standoff seem like the same.

< Message edited by cmdrsam -- 7/8/2011 2:17:32 AM >

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 7
RE: Stand off ? - 7/8/2011 2:55:45 AM   
jmalter

"stand off" works at the destination - if set to 1, the following TF travels same-hex w/ the leader, but stands off by one hex at the destination (& continues to trail the leader by 1 when the leader starts its retirement).

i find stand-off most useful for a CV TF providing CAP to a Trans or Amph TF, you don't want the CV TF to enter the port/coastal hex where its air ops capacity will be decreased.

(in reply to cmdrsam)
Post #: 8
RE: Stand off ? - 7/8/2011 3:29:07 AM   
cmdrsam

That sunk in now. Now I get it, thought it was something different.

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 9
RE: Stand off ? - 7/8/2011 6:32:52 AM   
jmalter

the 'trail' & 'standoff' distances set distances by hexes. but if you want to set an 'in-hex' sequence, pay attention to which TF is the leader & which is the follower.

for example, you'd want your bombardment TF to follow the minesweeper TF into a mined hex. or you'd prefer your ASW TF to precede your CV TF as it cruises around looking for trouble. imo, you set the bomb/carrier TF to follow the mine/ASW TF, even at range 0.

one prob i've noticed in the game, that 'chained' follow-commands don't always work, they seem to confuse TF movement. instead of setting TF3 to follow TF2 which is following TF1, set both 3 & 2 to follow 1.

(in reply to cmdrsam)
Post #: 10
RE: Stand off ? - 7/8/2011 10:21:24 AM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmalter
...you don't want the CV TF to enter the port/coastal hex where its air ops capacity will be decreased.

A commonly-held mistake here. Fleet carrier (CV and CVL) air ops are halved when a fleet carrier is in a base hex, but not in a coastal hex without a base. In non-base coastal hexes, fleet carriers conduct normal air ops.

CVE air ops are not penalized in base hexes.

P.S. This rule is so commonly misunderstood that there should now be about six posts of "I didn't know that!" and "You're wrong, they are halved because there isn't enough sea room for carrier to operate and turn into the wind...etc."

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 7/8/2011 10:22:10 AM >

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 11
RE: Stand off ? - 7/8/2011 10:38:18 AM   
Houtje

I didn't know that!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 12
RE: Stand off ? - 7/8/2011 12:24:39 PM   
Blackhorse

You're wrong, they are halved because there isn't enough sea room for carrier to operate and turn into the wind...etc

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

(in reply to Houtje)
Post #: 13
RE: Stand off ? - 7/8/2011 6:02:07 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmalter
...you don't want the CV TF to enter the port/coastal hex where its air ops capacity will be decreased.

A commonly-held mistake here. Fleet carrier (CV and CVL) air ops are halved when a fleet carrier is in a base hex, but not in a coastal hex without a base. In non-base coastal hexes, fleet carriers conduct normal air ops.

CVE air ops are not penalized in base hexes.

P.S. This rule is so commonly misunderstood that there should now be about six posts of "I didn't know that!" and "You're wrong, they are halved because there isn't enough sea room for carrier to operate and turn into the wind...etc."

Funny, even I know this to be the case. I still try to avoid CVs in any coastal hex. Superstitious, I suppose....

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Stand off ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI