Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

V3.6.3 v ANW - Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Ultimate Edition >> V3.6.3 v ANW - Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
V3.6.3 v ANW - Question - 7/6/2011 11:50:51 AM   
Tomus

I am a bit confused these two versions look the same....are they different is 3.6.3 the newer one as that one installed and ANW didn't I had to hunt for it.

Sorry if this has been dealt with before.
Post #: 1
RE: V3.6.3 v ANW - Question - 7/7/2011 12:29:26 AM   
uncleharpoon

Yes, they look the same. However, the engine has been upgraded to support many new features including multiplayer and boarding actions to name the two biggies. And we've polished a lot for stability and speed. A lot of artwork has been added too. Given that the ANW HUE package gets you 22+ version of both H3 and the Harpoon Classic (going back to our demo versions of 1988), it's a hell of a value. It's also a collectible.

(in reply to Tomus)
Post #: 2
RE: V3.6.3 v ANW - Question - 7/7/2011 10:37:05 AM   
Tomus

quote:

ORIGINAL: uncleharpoon

Yes, they look the same. However, the engine has been upgraded to support many new features including multiplayer and boarding actions to name the two biggies. And we've polished a lot for stability and speed. A lot of artwork has been added too. Given that the ANW HUE package gets you 22+ version of both H3 and the Harpoon Classic (going back to our demo versions of 1988), it's a hell of a value. It's also a collectible.

Thanks Uncle. I'm currently playing ANW is this the 'latest' version of the game or is 3.6.3 newer? Or are they different games entirely? I just want to be playing the latest version moving forward.

(in reply to uncleharpoon)
Post #: 3
RE: V3.6.3 v ANW - Question - 7/7/2011 5:16:39 PM   
TonyE

ANW 3.10 is the newest H2/3 in the HUE package.  HCE 2009.050 is the newest HC in the HUE package.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to Tomus)
Post #: 4
RE: V3.6.3 v ANW - Question - 7/8/2011 6:21:53 PM   
Tomus

Sorry I am still not clear...I am being stupid I know but:

I have installed from the Ultimate Pack:
Harpoon Ultimate Commander's Ed
Harpoon 3 V3.6.3
Hardpoon Ultimate ANW

Those are the three icons. I know what the Commander's ed is. But I can't tell what the difference is between the Harpoon 3 and the ANW versions if the game. They both seem the same.

I just want to know which version 3.6.3 or ANW should I play?

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 5
RE: V3.6.3 v ANW - Question - 7/8/2011 9:33:53 PM   
Warhorse64

You should probably play ANW, since it is newer and more capable.

(in reply to Tomus)
Post #: 6
RE: V3.6.3 v ANW - Question - 7/9/2011 12:50:28 AM   
uncleharpoon

First, thank you for helping sustain the Harpoon Legacy !!

ANW refers to any version of Harpoon 3 after Matrix became our publisher. So v 3.7, 3.8, 3.9 and now 3.10 are all ANW. We believe 3.10 is the peak of H3 development because of the optimization, bug fixes, boarding actions, parameterized missions (so you can make 3.10 behave in many many ways), and the new artwork.

If it matters any, ANW is a subset of our professional military product ($$$) H3 MilSim.

(in reply to Warhorse64)
Post #: 7
RE: V3.6.3 v ANW - Question - 7/29/2011 8:45:38 AM   
erichswafford

Including 3.6.3 was a WONDERFUL gift to the community. Thank you so much AGSI!!! A lot of us (well, I did anyway) *begged* them for this, and when I saw it had been done, I immediately bought my copy of HUE (to go along with my copy on ANW). I was so happy, I let them keep the $25. Thanks Guys - seriously.

While I really enjoy ANW, many incredible scenarios (such as the "WWIII in 1985" magnum opus) were done with 3.6.3 in mind and no other.

Visit http://www.warfaresims.com/?page_id=19 for more info on "DB2000" (an alternate database, generally recognized as the most accurate of the bunch pre-ANW) and the dozens of amazing scenarios that work with it (check out the Falklands 1982 set - really incredible work). It takes a little bit of time to figure out how to set everything up (new database and the scenarios to go with it), but I'd say it's worth it. Some of these scenarios are just priceless if you're really into this stuff. I literally backed up everything onto multiple HDD's just to be safe!

I happen to think 3.6.3 and ANW (3.10+) are highly complementary. They both give highly accurate-feeling results and both reward proper tactics. They may differ a bit when it comes to values in their respective databases, and ANW has a "simplified" ECM model (for instance) - but really they are both just great. I can appreciate the fact that ANW's goal is to replicate the Harpoon4 experience, and I happen to be OK with that. I also believe that some level of abstraction of ECM and Sensor performance, in particular, makes a lot of sense. For one thing, it makes it a lot easier to see what's happening and you don't get a lot of weirdness that results from trying (and possibly failing)to replicate something so complex with overly arcane formulas.

I've set up scenarios using 3.6.3 and 3.10 - and they both give highly realistic results. So, to recap:

ANW
* Better graphics options (unlimited windowed setting for any res you have)
* More understandable Sensor/ECM model (less likely perhaps to give bizarre results)
* Good scenario selection
* Database is more up-to-date for latest hardware
* a lot of other stuff but those are the highlights for me

* DB2000-compatible: which means a lot of incredible historical and what-if scenarios. I'd never have the time to build these.
* Purportedly more sophisticated ECM/Sensor modelling (but remember - sophisticated can mean just more complex - no guarantee it's any more realistic in the final analysis).

Now you can see why it's so great to have both! With HUE, I can enjoy all those great old 3.6.3-friendly DB2000 scenarios and also enjoy all the improvements that ANW brings. This was a GREAT thing to do for the Harpoon community. And I haven't even mentioned HCE, which is still great for those monster scenarios (because of its lower overall complexity).

AGSI, thank you again SO MUCH for listening to those of us who whined about not being able to buy 3.6.3 for so long! And keep up the great work on ANW - it really has matured into a great system.

(in reply to uncleharpoon)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Ultimate Edition >> V3.6.3 v ANW - Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI