Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Gameplay question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps >> Gameplay question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Gameplay question - 7/12/2011 5:35:48 AM   
gunnergoz

Does the game require you to start as the German? The screen shots seem to emphasize this side. Is there a full-length Allied campaign? I really have no interest in playing German - been there, done that. If the game is focused that way, no sense in me buying it.

"Things are getting better!
...Well, maybe not as good as they were yesterday, but much better than they will be tomorrow!"
-Old Russian saying
Post #: 1
RE: Gameplay question - 7/12/2011 5:47:40 AM   
Rudankort

quote:

ORIGINAL: gunnergoz

Does the game require you to start as the German? The screen shots seem to emphasize this side. Is there a full-length Allied campaign? I really have no interest in playing German - been there, done that. If the game is focused that way, no sense in me buying it.

You can play scenarios for any side, both against the AI and in multiplayer (in MP there is no emphasize on any side whatsoever). However, campaign is played for german side. This is what "Wehrmacht" tagline hints at.

(in reply to gunnergoz)
Post #: 2
RE: Gameplay question - 7/12/2011 5:48:34 AM   
VPaulus

Campaign is only played by the German side. Single scenarios and multiplayer you can play in any side.
I bet however, that soon there will be mods with allied campaigns.

(in reply to gunnergoz)
Post #: 3
RE: Gameplay question - 7/12/2011 5:49:18 AM   
gunnergoz

Thanks Rudankort.  Sounds like they short-changed us on the campaign side then.  I have no desire to play Nazi conqueror of the world so I'll skip this game.

"Things are getting better!
...Well, maybe not as good as they were yesterday, but much better than they will be tomorrow!"
-Old Russian saying

(in reply to Rudankort)
Post #: 4
RE: Gameplay question - 7/12/2011 9:12:37 AM   
IainMcNeil

The game is Panzer Corps - there was never an intention to include an Allied campaigns, so if this does not appeal then no problems, but it's not that it was forgotten or left out. It's the core design of the game. This might be something we look at for the future, but to be honest it just doesn't fit so well because for the first half of the campaign all you do is lose (unless we skip the first half of the war), so not very entertaining for the player!

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to gunnergoz)
Post #: 5
RE: Gameplay question - 7/12/2011 11:29:10 AM   
fsp

I can understand the concept of selling expansion packs. Everyone has to make a living and what we have here is a very, very polished game that carefully introduced new rules while sticking very closely to the original. And there we had a separate Allied General as well.

One big request I have though: For Allied General, PLEASE let me lose. Please don't let it start again with USA storming the beaches of Normandy. I think wargamers are mature enough to understand that in an Allied General which starts in 1939, you will get your ass handed to you in the beginning. If a motivating system can be found which helps you to carry over at least some of your core forces, that would be a tremendous experience. Maybe alter victory conditions, hold out for X turns, have every unit that exits via specified exit hexes survive for your next scenario etc.

One of the biggest strengths of PG was the interwoven campaign tree. I just loved how you could lose Moscow 41 and still win the game in 42 or 43 even, it only became harder then. This was lost a bit for Allied General, where it was mainly just "win the scenario or lose the game". I love losing. But only if I get to play a different scenario then. Let me lose an attacking battle and put me in defense for the next one. If I get a major victory there, put me on offense again.

The possibilities are huge. Allow a player to play the French (nice equipment) and have him spend (a lot of) prestige to allow for a different deployment in "Fall Gelb". If a minor victory is reached in that battle, have fixed lines, similar to WWI. If a major French victory is reached there, allow for a French offensive into the Rhineland, maybe coupled with a British amphibious invasion in Schleswig.

There are even more possibilities for the British. Have to repel an invasion. Allow for an early D-Day to take pressure off of the Soviets etc.

Please avoid the boring and silly linear campaigns of AG. I would happily spend 10 dollars more for such a concept and would accept it if there first was a PC:Western Allies followed by a PC: Red Army (or vice versa, though I don't see that happening).

< Message edited by fsp -- 7/12/2011 11:53:07 AM >

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 6
RE: Gameplay question - 7/12/2011 11:35:31 AM   
Rudankort

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this, we'll see what we can do.

(in reply to fsp)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps >> Gameplay question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI