Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

I'm Impressed, and 10 Reasons Why

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps >> I'm Impressed, and 10 Reasons Why Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I'm Impressed, and 10 Reasons Why - 7/11/2011 9:55:42 PM   
LarryP

Wow, when I knew it was Slitherine, I also knew the game would be great. However, It's better than I expected. Here are a few things I really like about this game:

1) Tooltips everywhere. Also, in the smallest of places a Hand Cursor shows and that means if I click there, I get a dialog box telling me more information that just a tooltip. To me, this is the meat and potatoes of a good quality game.

2) In-game Library. This library has everything a war gamer could want or need. Keyboard shortcuts all the way to unit descriptions. Also the Credits, and I am amazed at the number of beta testers involved in this game! Kudos to all of you, thanks so much. This game seems quite polished.

3) There is a Unit List and also a Stats Panel that you can have showing vertically while on the war map. Both at the same time too, side by side. Tooltips for each line of stats too. Nice!

4) I select a unit of mine, then hover the cursor over any other enemy unit, and information is shown for both to compare. This lets me plan my movements based upon strengths and weaknesses.

5) If I have the Tutorial Tips selected in the Options, dialog boxes pop up at certain times to give information. This information is well done, and not just a bunch of space taking words. Good help!

6) I select my unit and Ctrl+RightClick over the enemy in an adjoining hex, and a nice detailed attack comparison dialog gives me projected stats for the attack. Invaluable. I've just got to learn more about this information that's displayed. Hey, at least it's there.

7) In the Purchase Units menu, the clicked unit and the hovered unit have side by side comparisons. Makes it nice for purchasing decisions. Beats having to remember stats and going back and forth between them. This saves a ton of my time.

8) In saving a game, the default information entered (which can also be changed) is the date, location, and turn number. Good enough for me to leave alone each save. Also a Description box allows me to add lots of comments to the saved game.

9) Works on my 1680x1050 LCD widescreen just fine.

10) I have a dual monitor system and the game leaves my second LED Widescreen alone. I can have anything showing and it won't bother it. I wish other games would learn from this. Good programming guys!

There's much more, but this is a good heads up for the on the fence gamers, which is usually me. Great sounds too which could be my number eleven, but ten looks better. Good job Matrix and Slitherine.

< Message edited by LarryP -- 7/11/2011 10:07:55 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: I'm Impressed, and 10 Reasons Why - 7/11/2011 10:05:46 PM   
parusski

Great points sir. All I can do is post smileys in frustrating effort to reach a thousand posts on Matrix.

Anyway, everything you said.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 2
RE: I'm Impressed, and 10 Reasons Why - 7/11/2011 10:17:57 PM   
vonRocko

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski
All I can do is post smileys in frustrating effort to reach a thousand posts on Matrix.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 3
RE: I'm Impressed, and 10 Reasons Why - 7/11/2011 10:19:37 PM   
parusski

Yeah, I see. You have 525 posts in less than three years. I has taken me over 11 years to reach 680, make that 681.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 4
RE: I'm Impressed, and 10 Reasons Why - 7/11/2011 10:47:42 PM   
JP Falcon the 2nd

I'll add another reason...I notice the AI does not sit on it's ass around victory hexes and just wait for you to arrive and set up your attack plan. It will send it's units out and meet you in battle!...and be wary of leaving your troops still mounted as the AI will bypass other targets to hit your transports hard!

< Message edited by JP Falcon the 2nd -- 7/11/2011 10:50:08 PM >

A Rebirth Due to lost Password and deleted email addy!

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 5
RE: I'm Impressed, and 10 Reasons Why - 7/11/2011 11:34:41 PM   
jimi3

I couldn't agree more. This is the game I've been waiting for. I'm into the third tutorial and having a blast. Even the introduction is outstanding. Hats off to whoever made it. I watched it twice and I usually skip those things !!!

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 6
RE: I'm Impressed, and 10 Reasons Why - 7/11/2011 11:40:20 PM   
JudgeDredd

Well - initially I didn't think going back to the rock, paper, scissors method of Panzer General was going to be much fun but I have to say this is a very polished game. High quality art, great game mechanics and sound game system.

I've been playing it for over 3 hours straight now - it's now 23:30 and I need to drag myself away to go to bed. Even after all these years the game system still has that "one more turn". It brings back fond memories and all wrapped up in a quality package.

Well done Matrix and Slitherine.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to jimi3)
Post #: 7
RE: I'm Impressed, and 10 Reasons Why - 7/12/2011 12:20:57 AM   
ccsdc83

The scenario editor has taken all my time today. I played a little of the Bagration campaign earlier and have been engrossed in the editor all afternoon...hell I would have paid $40 for the editor alone it's that damn good and EASY

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 8
RE: I'm Impressed, and 10 Reasons Why - 7/12/2011 12:33:41 AM   
tdpyle

This is Panzer General on steroids. I've played thru the Poland Scenario. Anyone who's played PG will be able to step right into this game. Very similar interface with some goodies such as railroads added. Great Game! . Like the graphics. Like the animation. My compliments to the designers for a very polished game from v1.0. So far, no bugs found.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 9
RE: I'm Impressed, and 10 Reasons Why - 7/12/2011 1:50:18 AM   
LarryP

Since posting about the ten items, I've played quite a bit more and you are right. Panzer General on steroids. The AI decisions are very impressive. The supply and prestige really balance the game. It also seems like a relative of Battlefield Academy when the music plays. Both games are excellent. Well worth the $40, and I've not even checked out the editor yet like ccsdc83 has mentioned. That's next.

(in reply to tdpyle)
Post #: 10
RE: I'm Impressed, and 10 Reasons Why - 7/12/2011 1:52:59 AM   
ccsdc83

Just wait until you start with the editor...if you are creative you won't be able to stop adding things. Just read the manual everything is extremely easy to mess with. 

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 11
RE: I'm Impressed, and 10 Reasons Why - 7/12/2011 3:24:10 AM   
Adam Parker

I fully agree with Larry's last post on price.

Panzer Corps is priced exactly as my dear old Panzer General 1 when first released. The under $40 AUD price tag sits very well.

My three recent Matrix purchases of this, Battlefield Academy and Frozen Synapse have been great value for money.

I expect Panzer Corps to be around my gaming schedule as long as I own a PC that can play it!

Any plans for the Mac and iPad will be accepted with open arms

(in reply to ccsdc83)
Post #: 12
RE: I'm Impressed, and 10 Reasons Why - 7/12/2011 9:14:16 AM   
IainMcNeil

Thanks guys - we did work very hard on all these aspects so we really appreciate the feedback.

If you can let your friends know about the game we would really appreciate it!

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 13
RE: I'm Impressed, and 10 Reasons Why - 7/12/2011 11:47:27 AM   
fsp

Have to say that I love the game.
I was so grateful for PG Forever and I think it is great that Rudankor got the chance to make this into a full commercial product.

It feels incredibly polished. The changes introduced seem sensible without changing the things that made the original such a success. I was kind of hoping for overrun attacks and the bigger tanks being allowed to shoot two hexes far, but that would probably have not been a good idea.

The interface is really, really good. I loved the tutorial. It was a lot of fun and the help tips are so useful for a newbie and they pop up at the right time, too. There a many, many games that could learn a lot here.

The multiplayer system is so slick and uncomplicated that I started two games right away. It's nice that you can now also add messages to your opponent.

Having both sides in a scenario start out with quite some prestige adds a lot of replay value. The force mix you will encounter will never be quite the same. That goes for MP as well as SP.

Resolution 1920x1080 and it looks very good.

It seems so well thought. Mountain troops make sense now as they really are quite quick through those hills and offer exciting possibilities.

Moving and being allowed to come back later to shoot makes such a huge difference. Thanks!

Improving combat results if you get two units to stand next to an enemy is a great addition.

Having some units switch between attack modes is huge and great as well. No more buying separate 88 Flak version if in reality there was only one. I love the Soviet assault guns, they are so powerful.

There are so many small details to discover and they all make so much sense. For instance: When airborne troops land, they suffer from suppression for one turn. So they are easy targets right after they have landed.

Two small gripes though:
1) I love interwoven campaigns. I had hoped for even a little bit more than we have gotten. I would have loved to have a campaign with 40-50 possible scenarios. Though I have to say that I love that there are three USA scenarios now instead of just a silly Washington version.

2) And can I please have that Nebelwerfer sound instead of the boring one in the game? Katyushas sound great, but the Nebelwerfer sounds sooooo boring. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z8bl7UVxz8

GREAT WORK, KUDOS!        

I stayed up unti 4 AM to play.      

< Message edited by fsp -- 7/12/2011 11:49:40 AM >

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 14
RE: I'm Impressed, and 10 Reasons Why - 7/12/2011 12:11:08 PM   
Lord Zimoa

2) And can I please have that Nebelwerfer sound instead of the boring one in the game? Katyushas sound great, but the Nebelwerfer sounds sooooo boring. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z8bl7UVxz8

>>> You are deceived that video sound is fake, it is in fact a typical Katyusha sound of rockets leaving a rail, put on top of a Nebelwerfer video!
The whining mimi`s made a high screaming sound just before they fell to the ground, not when leaving their tubes, the typical high sound you here in this movie, is from friction between the rail and the rocket leaving at high speed. Somehow in the course of history people are expecting this to be the correct sound, but you are being fooled! Mundus vult decipi ergo decipiatur!

With the Nebelwerfer, the rocket leave the tube, not a rail, and yes they screamed when coming down, but not when leaving. Well just some research we did and we asked the Royal Armouries Museum for some advise how to best reproduce this sound, so we are pretty sure about it, our sound is closer to reality.

< Message edited by Lord Zimoa -- 7/12/2011 12:17:25 PM >

(in reply to fsp)
Post #: 15
RE: I'm Impressed, and 10 Reasons Why - 7/12/2011 2:00:26 PM   
fsp

haha you know what I had that hunch for about a year...
I came so accustomed with the screaming sound that I thought it was real
later, I learned that all sound in the German "Wochenschau" newsreels was added after the filming had been done

a bit later even more, I found videos like this on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34xz-WPVZqg&feature=related

it sounded quite differently than the screaming I was used to

point taken, your research is very probably correct. katyushas sound way cooler though

(in reply to Lord Zimoa)
Post #: 16
RE: I'm Impressed, and 10 Reasons Why - 7/12/2011 2:38:32 PM   
ccsdc83

katyusha and stuka combat sounds are probably my favorite right now

(in reply to fsp)
Post #: 17
RE: I'm Impressed, and 10 Reasons Why - 7/12/2011 4:46:27 PM   
willgamer

I'm impressed this board is so quiet...

I suspect it's the ultimate complement to the devs: far more people are playing than posting!

A rare release of a polished, engaging product.

WELL DONE

Rex Lex or Lex Rex?

(in reply to ccsdc83)
Post #: 18
RE: I'm Impressed, and 10 Reasons Why - 7/14/2011 5:52:54 AM   
Razz1

This should be stickied due to the first post.

The Dev team worked hard to get it right.

(in reply to willgamer)
Post #: 19
RE: I'm Impressed, and 10 Reasons Why - 7/14/2011 7:56:32 AM   
IainMcNeil

We are actually stunned by the lack of tech support, and general feedback issues. Its outsold our previous best release by about 4 to 1 and yet the forums are manageably quiet. We can only assume the same thing - everyone is too busy playing!

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to Razz1)
Post #: 20
RE: I'm Impressed, and 10 Reasons Why - 7/14/2011 4:10:12 PM   
sabre1

Yep, playing for hours at a time, and not one ctd/lockup. Amazing programming Slitherine.

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 21
RE: I'm Impressed, and 10 Reasons Why - 7/14/2011 4:16:57 PM   
Mart.n

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

We are actually stunned by the lack of tech support, and general feedback issues. Its outsold our previous best release by about 4 to 1 and yet the forums are manageably quiet. We can only assume the same thing - everyone is too busy playing!

Congratulations :) I am really looking forward to play on after work.. damn work... ;)

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 22
RE: I'm Impressed, and 10 Reasons Why - 7/14/2011 4:28:03 PM   
ccsdc83

I haven't  had any issues at all yet which is very good considering most games released now are patched on the first day or within the week.

I have been leaving a link and brief description on various boards that are not always strictly wargaming, but people who play so called war games like "COD, Battlefield, etc ) so hopefully more people pick up on this. Plenty of easy ways to get used to the game and it's not always brutally hard when certain options are toned down.

(in reply to Mart.n)
Post #: 23
RE: I'm Impressed, and 10 Reasons Why - 7/15/2011 4:15:35 AM   
Razz1

Maybe it's the beta testers fault?

They did too good of a job testing!

(in reply to ccsdc83)
Post #: 24
RE: I'm Impressed, and 10 Reasons Why - 7/15/2011 4:17:26 PM   
phatkarp

Here's a reason I'm impressed:

- anti-tank is much better than in the original PG's.  I love the 88.  It is a killer on the attack, which makes it a very useful gun (IIRC, the AT in PG was not very effective on the attack).  And I love the "switch" button that transitions it from AAA to AT. 

(in reply to Razz1)
Post #: 25
RE: I'm Impressed, and 10 Reasons Why - 7/16/2011 10:11:59 PM   
Hex

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

Good job Matrix and Slitherine.

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Well done Matrix and Slitherine.

quote:

ORIGINAL: sabre1

Yep, playing for hours at a time, and not one ctd/lockup. Amazing programming Slitherine.

All credits to Slitherine and Matrix, but I find it a little sad to give them all the credit, when the game was actually developed by The Lordz Games Studio who are totally being ignored, especially when you consider that their own CEO replied to this thread.

< Message edited by Hex -- 7/16/2011 10:12:25 PM >

(in reply to phatkarp)
Post #: 26
RE: I'm Impressed, and 10 Reasons Why - 7/16/2011 11:07:32 PM   
IainMcNeil

It was actually developed by Alex Shargin, who is an independent programmer. The Lordz provided the art, sound and other assets that make it the wonderful looking game it is.

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to Hex)
Post #: 27
RE: I'm Impressed, and 10 Reasons Why - 7/16/2011 11:28:05 PM   
Lord Zimoa

A game is a joint effort lads, many good fellows worked on this and it all came together quite nicely: Alex, Lukas, Kresimir, Vince, Mariusz, Abhinav, Iain, Alessandro, Michel, Tim, Frank, Pip, myself and many others, including a lot of testers, we all did our part, great or small. It is teamwork.
We are all very proud and thankful you all like and appreciate our efforts and hard work and enjoy the game so much. In the end that is the greatest award for all of us.

Cheers,

Tim aka LZ

< Message edited by Lord Zimoa -- 7/16/2011 11:33:38 PM >

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 28
RE: I'm Impressed, and 10 Reasons Why - 7/16/2011 11:42:17 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Well - initially I didn't think going back to the rock, paper, scissors method of Panzer General was going to be much fun but I have to say this is a very polished game. High quality art, great game mechanics and sound game system ...

I had enjoyed PG, and was briefly enamored of PG Forever, but it soon grew tiresome; is PC really that good?

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 29
RE: I'm Impressed, and 10 Reasons Why - 7/16/2011 11:46:36 PM   
Lord Zimoa

A player described it this week best as:

Panzer Corps is dangerously addictive!

I really liked that one.

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps >> I'm Impressed, and 10 Reasons Why Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI