Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Giving DW another whirl

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Giving DW another whirl Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Giving DW another whirl - 7/15/2011 9:21:22 PM   
jfpOne23

After waiting a long time for the dust to settle with this game, I'm trying it again. I bought it the day it came out, and "let it go" for a few weeks while reading the forums and knowing that I should wait for it to get the kinks out.

So I'm now wondering if the Shakturi "add on" is the key to getting this potentially amazing game to be what it was meant to be. Should I try the game again without Shakturi or is the experience just amazingly better with the expansion?

Thanks for opinions, Cheers!

Post #: 1
RE: Giving DW another whirl - 7/15/2011 9:31:48 PM   
Data

jfpOne23, I'm honestly telling you that you're asking the wrong crowd
the experience IS just amazingly better with the expansion

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to jfpOne23)
Post #: 2
RE: Giving DW another whirl - 7/15/2011 9:38:50 PM   
J HG T

I would recommend the expansion too. Fixes some issues and adds nice amount of new stuff.
If you aren't short on credits, RoTS is pretty much must-buy.

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 3
RE: Giving DW another whirl - 7/15/2011 9:47:15 PM   
Igard

I'd recommend the expansion also. It makes no difference to the campaign as you can select either DW campaign, or RotS campaign, OR both together for any game.

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 4
RE: Giving DW another whirl - 7/16/2011 3:51:33 AM   
Kayoz

Try the latest patch first. If you think the game is stable enough, then the expansion is probably worth it. If you're still unsatisfied with DW - then the expansion probably won't change your opinion.

That said, there isn't much out there in 4X land. The 4X development landscape is looking a lot like the sub-prime mortgage lending financial landscape.

(in reply to jfpOne23)
Post #: 5
RE: Giving DW another whirl - 7/16/2011 11:04:07 AM   
jfpOne23

Thanks for the "lowdown" gents. I've been wanting this game to be a winner since I first heard about it so I'm in for the expansion. I'm hoping RotS has cleared up some issues like this one:

Why can't you transfer ships between fleets from the "View Fleets" window? Really?

You know, all that little stuff that makes the original a bit rough to work with. But I haven't been staying on top of the forum chatter so maybe these kind of things have been requested already, talked to death, or in RotS already. Looking forward to the expansion, and another lost weekend :-)

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 6
RE: Giving DW another whirl - 7/16/2011 2:32:54 PM   
J HG T

There isn't ship transfer between fleets in RoTS. I haven't even thought about such feature TBH. I usually just go to a fleet, dispand ships needing transfer and assign them to a fleet of my choice at the same time. After that, if the ships are idlying, they just move to the new fleet. 

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to jfpOne23)
Post #: 7
RE: Giving DW another whirl - 7/16/2011 3:27:36 PM   
Spacecadet

quote:

ORIGINAL: jfpOne23

Thanks for the "lowdown" gents. I've been wanting this game to be a winner since I first heard about it so I'm in for the expansion. I'm hoping RotS has cleared up some issues like this one:

Why can't you transfer ships between fleets from the "View Fleets" window? Really?

You know, all that little stuff that makes the original a bit rough to work with. But I haven't been staying on top of the forum chatter so maybe these kind of things have been requested already, talked to death, or in RotS already. Looking forward to the expansion, and another lost weekend :-)

I don't believe you can do that from the "Fleets" screen, but you can reassign ships from the "Ships" screen.

You can also right click on a ship in a selected fleet and have it "Leave" the fleet.
Right clicking again I think allows you to have it join a fleet (from a list).

< Message edited by Spacecadet -- 7/16/2011 3:28:07 PM >

(in reply to jfpOne23)
Post #: 8
RE: Giving DW another whirl - 7/16/2011 4:56:44 PM   
MartialDoctor

Can't say I'd recommend it until they fix the Allies bug.  I just check the forums for more information on when it's going to be fixed...

(in reply to Spacecadet)
Post #: 9
RE: Giving DW another whirl - 7/16/2011 9:35:45 PM   
jfpOne23

hmmm. In the Ships screen I basically had to filter by "Military Ships", then scroll to find the ship I wanted to transfer to a fleet or new fleet. Is this the only way to assign ships to fleets besides right clicking each one?

(in reply to MartialDoctor)
Post #: 10
RE: Giving DW another whirl - 7/17/2011 3:01:02 AM   
Igard

Yes, that's correct, jfpOne23. However you can use 'shift + click' to select multiple ships from the list or I believe 'ctrl + click' to select each ship, then add your selected ships to a fleet. Or you can use a drag-box around multiple ships and right click.

I've never really found this to be problem myself, but any ideas for making it quicker and easier to organise fleets are always a good thing.

(in reply to jfpOne23)
Post #: 11
RE: Giving DW another whirl - 7/18/2011 3:48:25 PM   
jfpOne23

Well I just found it very tedious to go through a huge list of ships (I started a game with a somewhat "established" empire)and nothing like a "transfer" box (ie: [Fleet 1] < > [Fleet 2]). I had sent many ships to the same planet to refuel...and well you know how messy that can get.

Not having read all the posts in the "wish list" I'm sure something like that has been suggested, and with the Shakturi expansion I guess I was hoping in advance that something like this would have been implemented. Oh well.

Still I will support this game and it's dev's by buying in because it's the best 4x concept out there in almost all categories...but FFS, lets get the "little stuff" done like a Fleet Transfer Box eh?

Cheers!

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Giving DW another whirl Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI