Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Alternative "PG" like Campaign

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps >> Mods and Scenarios >> Alternative "PG" like Campaign Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Alternative "PG" like Campaign - 7/19/2011 7:41:19 PM   
Locarnus

EDIT: 2011.08.02 new version 0.34
changes v0.34:
finally in zip format (as suggested by GSlapshot) with backup and campaign tree, thanks to Dragoon
& another bugfix thanks to el_cid17
changes v0.33: corrected a typo, which prevented you from going to bagration...
changes v0.32:
You will go to Norway regardless of your Poland performance, which makes more sense after all...
some better fitting Campaign debriefings have been linked
no Prestige or further changes

I read about the problems with the dynamic campaign (e.g. that it is too short when you are too good).
Then there were suggestions of a historical campaign.

Personally I like the old PG campaign, it is long and you have some impact on the war.
And if you are very good, you can do some bonus scenarios.

So I sat down and created an PG like campaign for PC.

As of now (v0.3) I just made the "new" campaign tree and connected the scenarios in this order.
I didnt tingle with the scenarios, or the descriptions/messages whatever.
Also I just made some very rough Prestige adjustments, mainly when I made a scenario connection that did not exist before.

So expect the scenarios/prestige points to be unbalanced and the messages to be misleading.

I do not think that I will put much effort in it, so if you want it more balanced, contribute by making suggestions in this thread, eg by uploading a new campaign file with better balanced prestige.

INSTRUCTIONS:
The attachment below contains a zip including the new campaign.pzdat, copy the campaign.pzdat to ..\Panzer Corps\Data and overwrite.
A backup of the old campaign.pzdat, campaign tree & instructions are included.
The zip-architecture came from Dragoon, thanks very much.

The old form of txt file only can be found in the second post.

PC-alt-campaign-path-PGC-v0.34.zip

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Locarnus -- 8/2/2011 10:06:39 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Alternative "PG" like Campaign - 7/19/2011 7:43:58 PM   
Locarnus

Of course to make sense, the story has to be adjusted.
Like when you take Moscow and perform Sealion, then somewhere it should say eg "although your operation was succesfull, the navy was unable to hold off the Royal Navy and US Navy, supply lines are breaking down, so we had to retreat to avoid being trapped there."

edit: The same goes for the Moscow 41 capture, either after Sealion you get the notice that you wasted too many resources for Sealion and Moscow was recaptured, or right after Moscow 41 marginal, you just couldnt hold on to it...
Also there needs to be a second Sealion after Overlord and before US, but I dont have time to adjust the scenario accordingly, so "you" just were ill and a fellow general took over for this second Sealion ;-) ...

The code of the alternative PG like 0.31 campaign.pzdat is also listed here, if you dont want to download stuff, just backup the old file and replace the contents:
edit: Hm, if I add the code in code tags, then the code is displayed all over the place, instead with scrollbars like on the paradox forum...

for those who want to take a quick look at the changed file, I provide here the old form (txt) for download/opening (v0.34):

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Locarnus -- 8/2/2011 10:05:46 PM >

(in reply to Locarnus)
Post #: 2
RE: Alternative "PG" like Campaign - 7/20/2011 2:38:53 PM   
flankspeed

Very cool. Love this idea.

Just one question. Where is the Sealion 40 scenario?

(in reply to Locarnus)
Post #: 3
RE: Alternative "PG" like Campaign - 7/20/2011 4:24:31 PM   
Locarnus

Sealion 40 is the only scenario besides Moscow Rush, that I entirely left out.
The reason is basically the same for both. It would have created an early branching of the campaign tree, thus creating quite some work for me yesterday and possibly much more work in the future, when prestige levels and texts might be adjusted.

The branching at Kiev was avoided by basically reverting your gains story-wise. And it even makes sense (that you are overextended at this point and cant hold on to it, remember that the german economy was not in "war mode" until late in ww2). Also in 42 the USNavy would add their weight, so that holding on to oversea territory gets much more complicated compared to 40.

(in reply to flankspeed)
Post #: 4
RE: Alternative "PG" like Campaign - 7/20/2011 9:48:41 PM   
Dragoon.

Nice work, I love how you branched the campaign tree. Going right in for an other playthrough. Thank you.

(in reply to Locarnus)
Post #: 5
RE: Alternative "PG" like Campaign - 7/22/2011 2:47:47 AM   
GSlapshot

Locarnus
Enjoying the campaign mod but you need to need to re upload the files for the pzdat file and the scenario map. Since you uploaded a .txt file some members may have file contentions since their browsers will try and open it as a text file or their extensions will not save the name correctly. i suggest you but them in a zip file and upload again since they won't have to rename the file and you can elaborate on how the campaign flows.

(in reply to Dragoon.)
Post #: 6
RE: Alternative "PG" like Campaign - 7/22/2011 6:48:17 PM   
Locarnus

quote:

ORIGINAL: GSlapshot

Locarnus
Enjoying the campaign mod but you need to need to re upload the files for the pzdat file and the scenario map. Since you uploaded a .txt file some members may have file contentions since their browsers will try and open it as a text file or their extensions will not save the name correctly. i suggest you but them in a zip file and upload again since they won't have to rename the file and you can elaborate on how the campaign flows.

I thought about a zip file, which is a must if more than 1 files are included anyways.
I dont find the renaming too problematic at the moment (just copy paste the name from the attachment window), and it adds the benefit of being able to see the internals before downloading.
In other forums (eg paradox) I like it when modders post their stuff as code, if possible. So that someone else can look at it without the hassle of downloading and extracting.
But since the code tags in this forum do not work, this is my workaround until it gets more complicated...

(in reply to GSlapshot)
Post #: 7
RE: Alternative "PG" like Campaign - 7/24/2011 12:06:31 PM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Locarnus

Of course to make sense, the story has to be adjusted.
Like when you take Moscow and perform Sealion, then somewhere it should say eg "although your operation was succesfull, the navy was unable to hold off the Royal Navy and US Navy, supply lines are breaking down, so we had to retreat to avoid being trapped there."

edit: The same goes for the Moscow 41 capture, either after Sealion you get the notice that you wasted too many resources for Sealion and Moscow was recaptured, or right after Moscow 41 marginal, you just couldnt hold on to it...
Also there needs to be a second Sealion after Overlord and before US, but I dont have time to adjust the scenario accordingly, so "you" just were ill and a fellow general took over for this second Sealion ;-) ...

The code of the alternative PG like 0.31 campaign.pzdat is also listed here, if you dont want to download stuff, just backup the old file and replace the contents:
edit: Hm, if I add the code in code tags, then the code is displayed all over the place, instead with scrollbars like on the paradox forum...

I love this campaign layout! This makes a lot of sense and looks like it has a lot of replayability. Of course I'll do some tweaking of my own...

(in reply to Locarnus)
Post #: 8
RE: Alternative "PG" like Campaign - 7/24/2011 1:27:19 PM   
flankspeed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

I love this campaign layout! This makes a lot of sense and looks like it has a lot of replayability. Of course I'll do some tweaking of my own...

Gary tweaking? Inconceivable
Aren't you AWOL from the War in the Pacific forum. They are sure to send out search parties soon.
Kidding man. I admire your work, no matter what game it's in.

< Message edited by flankspeed -- 7/24/2011 1:33:19 PM >

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 9
RE: Alternative "PG" like Campaign - 7/24/2011 1:39:18 PM   
Locarnus

I have thought about a very dynamic campaign path, which includes sealion 40 and rush to moscow (and would need a scenario like sealion 44...), but it includes nearly 60 entries, instead of the ~30 that are needed for the campaign path above.

In this version it would eg really make a difference how stalingrad ends, and it would even make a difference whether you took Moscow or London or Norway before reaching Stalingrad.

There would be 7 different situations from which you can get to one of 4 situations for Stalingrad, and 7 situations you can get to from the 4 situations of Stalingrad...

For Italy its even 9-5-8
You can imagine how the campaign path looks like...

The downside is, you can not play (nearly) all the scenarios in 2 run-throughs like you can with the campaign path above, where you only miss variations of moscow, sealion and germany in the 2 runs...

edit:
So the version above is the "simplyfied" one, for which I have/had time.
However I could open a thread and post the dynamic campaign tree there, if someone is interested (or even has the time and is willing to implement it or something similar and think about the prestige values and all that stuff...)

< Message edited by Locarnus -- 7/24/2011 4:58:38 PM >

Post #: 10
RE: Alternative "PG" like Campaign - 7/24/2011 2:04:00 PM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: flankspeed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

Gary tweaking? Inconceivable
Aren't you AWOL from the War in the Pacific forum. They are sure to send out search parties soon.
Kidding man. I admire your work, no matter what game it's in.

Many thanks!! I'm also AWOL from the Civilization III forums.

(in reply to flankspeed)
Post #: 11
RE: Alternative "PG" like Campaign - 7/24/2011 8:30:14 PM   
Locarnus

new version, you always go to Norway now and some debriefings are changed to more fitting ones
no other changes like Prestige

Post #: 12
RE: Alternative "PG" like Campaign - 7/24/2011 8:45:47 PM   
Dragoon.

Thanks

(in reply to Locarnus)
Post #: 13
RE: Alternative "PG" like Campaign - 7/25/2011 1:35:49 AM   
GaryChildress

Hey Locarnus, looks good! I like your latest campaign tree. I'm going to do some play testing to see if I can come up with a good balance of prestiege.

(in reply to Locarnus)
Post #: 14
RE: Alternative "PG" like Campaign - 7/25/2011 3:28:05 AM   
strykerpsg

I can't get your file to work. I cut and pasted the original campaign file onto desktop and inserted your file. I also removed the txt ending, but it still won't work. What am I doing wrong?

Matt

(in reply to Locarnus)
Post #: 15
RE: Alternative "PG" like Campaign - 7/25/2011 3:49:21 AM   
Razz1

You probably did not remove .PGCv0.32

Before you replace:
Make sure you copy the existing file and save as.
It will say Copy of xxxxxx
Then you can rename it as campaignOrginal or just remember it is the original campaign file.

Then paste the file here into the folder and rename it by removing .PGCv0.32.txt

(in reply to strykerpsg)
Post #: 16
RE: Alternative "PG" like Campaign - 7/25/2011 5:03:51 AM   
strykerpsg

Razz,

It doesn't like the txt file. I remove the .PGCv0.32.txt, but it still associates the original file as a text document, even though I rename it as described. It might be nice if there were a complete walkthrough for the more challenged folks, like myself. I really dig the game and agree the campaigns are a bit short. So, looking forward to this add on.

Matt

(in reply to Razz1)
Post #: 17
RE: Alternative "PG" like Campaign - 7/25/2011 9:56:28 AM   
Dragoon.

quote:

ORIGINAL: strykerpsg

Razz,

It doesn't like the txt file. I remove the .PGCv0.32.txt, but it still associates the original file as a text document, even though I rename it as described. It might be nice if there were a complete walkthrough for the more challenged folks, like myself. I really dig the game and agree the campaigns are a bit short. So, looking forward to this add on.

Matt

I suspect you have "Hide extensions for know file types" turned on in you folder options.
Anyway I uploaded the file as zip archive for you. I included the original file that came with the game in the backup folder for you convenience.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to strykerpsg)
Post #: 18
RE: Alternative "PG" like Campaign - 7/25/2011 3:25:25 PM   
Locarnus

quote:

ORIGINAL: strykerpsg

I can't get your file to work. I cut and pasted the original campaign file onto desktop and inserted your file. I also removed the txt ending, but it still won't work. What am I doing wrong?

Matt

Sorry, I added the version number only in the latest release and didnt correct the instructions, until now.

Thanks Dragoon, adding the original file is a good idea, since it would not be the first time that a backup is forgotten/erased.

(in reply to strykerpsg)
Post #: 19
RE: Alternative "PG" like Campaign - 7/25/2011 3:41:43 PM   
GSlapshot

Thanks for the zip file.  I use Firefox as my web browser and you really have to know how to save files since it wants to make it a FF document rather than a text file.  Great job also of including the original file.

(in reply to Dragoon.)
Post #: 20
RE: Alternative "PG" like Campaign - 7/26/2011 4:07:06 AM   
strykerpsg

Dragoon,

Thanks for adding files in the zip file as you did, made the save much easier for a computer challenged person like myself. When I select new game, should there be a new campaign splash or do I just play the long campaign 39-45? I was of the impression that the modded file would have its own selector. Anyway, looking forward to trying it out.

Matt

(in reply to GSlapshot)
Post #: 21
RE: Alternative "PG" like Campaign - 7/26/2011 4:48:30 AM   
Dragoon.

Hey Matt,

Locarnus great mod replaces the long campaign, so it's important to preserve the original file (included in the zipfile) if you ever want go back.
BTW, you don't have necessarily start a new game. If you got an earlier save, say no later than France you can pick up there without missing anything. Except you had only a marginal victory in Poland which resulted in skipping Norway.

< Message edited by Dragoon -- 7/26/2011 4:49:09 AM >

(in reply to strykerpsg)
Post #: 22
RE: Alternative "PG" like Campaign - 7/26/2011 2:25:34 PM   
Locarnus

With small modifiction, you can jump in from any point.
You just have to go to the original campaign file and find out where you are.

eg you won a decisive victory in Low Countries (LC) and are now in France. Then in the orignal campaign you are now in the line starting with "FranceD".
Then open the modded campaign file and copy the line "France" so it exists twice. Change the Label of one of the 2 lines from "France" to "FranceD". Now you do not have to restart France or refinish the Low Countries to get to the modded campaign path.

This is how the campaign file works, so essentially you can jump in from anywhere.

(in reply to Dragoon.)
Post #: 23
RE: Alternative "PG" like Campaign - 7/27/2011 4:51:59 PM   
Locarnus

new version 0.33
typo corrected, which prevented you from going to bagration.

Also I m at stalingrad now (just finished sealion42 - General, all decisive), and I feel like I m having way too much prestige (over 9000...)
In the beginning it was rather tight, but now I seem to swim in it, I dont have to think about how to invest it, which takes out some fun...

Can others please post their prestige levels with their difficulty levels, their force compositions and so on for some scenarios?
I d like to balance it so that you dont swim in prestige and really have to think about what to buy.

(in reply to Locarnus)
Post #: 24
RE: Alternative "PG" like Campaign - 7/27/2011 10:32:40 PM   
GSlapshot

Locarnus;
I suggest you upload a zip file with the new file, original file and the campaign map. This text file is very tricky for some users since file associations and browsers treat text files very differently which this is not. Have you download your text file? Just a suggestions from an IT Professional who has to work with newbees.

(in reply to Locarnus)
Post #: 25
RE: Alternative "PG" like Campaign - 8/2/2011 2:13:57 PM   
el_cid17

I have played through your campaign but could not get to Begration even with your updated campaign.pzdat v0.33. Here is what I did:

From Kursk decisive to Moscow 43. I wanted to get to Begration so Loss but it took me to Italy M (???) because after Gustav Line and loosing at Overlord it took me to Ardennes and Germany-West, Berlin! No Begration and Balaton again.

(in reply to GSlapshot)
Post #: 26
RE: Alternative "PG" like Campaign - 8/2/2011 9:51:02 PM   
Locarnus

@el_cid17:
Thanks for the feedback, that is indeed another bug.
I just uploaded the new campaign file v0.34. It should have taken you to Italy instead of ItalyM if you lost Moscow.

What is your latest savegame up to Overlord? The later the better, because if you have a savegame anywhere during Overlord, I could just modify a special campaign file for you, so that you can jump from your Overlord (M) to Bagration and follow the campaign path normally from there on, without replaying until Overlord.

edit: I added such a special campaign path for an Overlord(M) savegame to the attachments of this post, essentially treating OverlordM as if it is Overlord. If you only have an earlier savegame, please contact me.
Thanks again for the bugreport.

@GSlapshot & Dragoon:
Finally in zip archive. Thanks for the suggestion and for the zip and zip-architecture.

This attached special campaign file is only for people who need OverlordM treated as Overlord to make up for the bug, the normal v0.34 campaign is in the first or second post!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Locarnus -- 8/2/2011 10:14:39 PM >

(in reply to el_cid17)
Post #: 27
RE: Alternative "PG" like Campaign - 8/3/2011 3:48:06 AM   
Dragoon.

Thanks for the update!

(in reply to Locarnus)
Post #: 28
RE: Alternative "PG" like Campaign - 8/3/2011 8:56:13 AM   
el_cid17

@ Locarnus:

Thank you very much. I have already finished this campaign. Couldn't resist to save my hometown Berlin! Was too easy. The Americans couldn't cross the "Rhein".
Next time I will give your updated file a go. Thanks for your long campaign.
I love it!

(in reply to Dragoon.)
Post #: 29
RE: Alternative "PG" like Campaign - 8/4/2011 9:13:01 PM   
Stonewall1971

Hi all,

first I will say taht this MOD will be very good thanks for this but i played it and after the victory in Greece normally you get the order to take Crete...so I get the order but it didn´t start ??? Where is the problem ??

Many thanks
Gerd

(in reply to el_cid17)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps >> Mods and Scenarios >> Alternative "PG" like Campaign Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI