Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

No break on upgrades?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps >> No break on upgrades? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
No break on upgrades? - 7/17/2011 9:20:04 PM   
GaryChildress

Am I seeing this right? If I go to upgrade one of my core units to a better unit, it appears to cost the same as if I purchased a new unit? Shouldn't it cost less to upgrade a Pz 1 to a Pz 2 than to buy a brand new Pz 2?

Post #: 1
RE: No break on upgrades? - 7/17/2011 9:37:07 PM   
vonRocko

That is strange. I hadn't noticed it before, but checking right before the french campaign, you seem to be right. My planes and artillery seem ok, but tanks and infantry appear to upgrade at full cost. Maybe it's different classes, like MKIII tanks are cheaper when upgrading to a later MKIII version. But if you want to change to a MKIV you pay full price? I'll have to watch more carefully.

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 2
RE: No break on upgrades? - 7/17/2011 9:37:26 PM   
Razz1

You are correct.

Only units in same class get a discount. Pz III to Pz III

Were the Pz 1's and 2's on different chassis?

Post #: 3
RE: No break on upgrades? - 7/17/2011 9:40:58 PM   
vonRocko

How about infantry? It looks like you pay full price to change a regular into a pionere, for example.

(in reply to Razz1)
Post #: 4
RE: No break on upgrades? - 7/17/2011 10:14:33 PM   
Razz1

Those are two different types.

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 5
RE: No break on upgrades? - 7/17/2011 10:27:53 PM   
GaryChildress

I had to go back and change my Poland strategy a little as a result. I had thought if I buy a couple towed 10.5cm howitzers I could upgrade them for cheap later, however, now I realize I should have bought two self propelled 10.5cms first. That makes it cheaper. The lesson seems to be, if you are going to purchase a new unit, purchase only the very best because second rate units are just going to cost you double in the long run when you go to upgrade them.

IMO upgrades should cost a little less. That way you can buy second rate equipment with the hopes of upgrading it later. As it stands now, it's a major drawback to buy any second rate equipment.

(in reply to Razz1)
Post #: 6
RE: No break on upgrades? - 7/17/2011 10:41:23 PM   
vonRocko

Yeah, time to start again. This makes those starting pzI and pzII a liability. I might not buy a new unit till France. Well, maybe a fighter.

Post #: 7
RE: No break on upgrades? - 7/17/2011 11:40:58 PM   
Jestre

The cost of a unit should reflect the equipment and the manpower/training. Upgrading a unit should only reflect the equipment cost.

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 8
RE: No break on upgrades? - 7/18/2011 12:32:59 AM   
Zakhal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

I had to go back and change my Poland strategy a little as a result. I had thought if I buy a couple towed 10.5cm howitzers I could upgrade them for cheap later, however, now I realize I should have bought two self propelled 10.5cms first. That makes it cheaper. The lesson seems to be, if you are going to purchase a new unit, purchase only the very best because second rate units are just going to cost you double in the long run when you go to upgrade them.

IMO upgrades should cost a little less. That way you can buy second rate equipment with the hopes of upgrading it later. As it stands now, it's a major drawback to buy any second rate equipment.

Good point.

When you upgrade to new unit you should always get "somthing" for the old unit too. Now you just pay full cost of new unit and give away the old for free.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 7/18/2011 8:37:02 AM >

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 9
RE: No break on upgrades? - 7/18/2011 1:34:00 AM   
Razz1

^ You do!

you keep your experience.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 10
RE: No break on upgrades? - 7/18/2011 3:15:56 PM   
colberki

I am happy that Lodz Studio designed PC as such - no more PG style gamey upgrade tactics. I myself bought a He III in Poland only to find its full price to switch to a Ju 88. Good game balancing - I like very much the tougher single player campaign.

I echo the comments of another gamer on the forum - build up a strong fighter force early - you need them in most scenarios and increasing so else you will be throwing a low experience fighter against increasing numerous Soviet air force which will result either in more prestige spent to maintain experience or a downward spiral if you take regular replacements.

I am thinking of restarting a new campaign after reaching Kiev. Due to lack of prestige, I have many unused cores slots. Difficulty is Colonel.

(in reply to Razz1)
Post #: 11
RE: No break on upgrades? - 7/20/2011 1:54:52 PM   
fsp

I like that change a lot as well. It forces you to have lots of different equipment instead of just state-of-the-art equipment, which simply feels nicer.

(in reply to colberki)
Post #: 12
RE: No break on upgrades? - 7/20/2011 3:21:08 PM   
Obsolete

quote:

Shouldn't it cost less to upgrade a Pz 1 to a Pz 2 than to buy a brand new Pz 2?

Well, yes, I do agree with you. Originally there was no discount, and I pushed during the beta to have some sort of discount because you even had a penalty for upgrading (losing exp). The developers then added a mechanic where you get a discount if you upgrade within the SAME CLASS.  So, Upgrading one model of a PzIII to another PzIII gives a discount, but upgrading a PzIII to a PzIV isn't going to give you such a deal.

Interestingly, a Tiger I does give an upgrade discount to a King, and that one is probably highly debatable.

In any case, upgrading your units in PC as much as in PG is probably going to find you with a much harder campaign.

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.

(in reply to fsp)
Post #: 13
RE: No break on upgrades? - 7/20/2011 3:54:40 PM   
Rudankort

quote:

ORIGINAL: Obsolete
Interestingly, a Tiger I does give an upgrade discount to a King, and that one is probably highly debatable.

Not any more.

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 14
RE: No break on upgrades? - 7/20/2011 5:40:19 PM   
Obsolete

Well as you can see, it was debatable :P

My problem now is my games are 100% online so I don't get much time to do any campaigning in the current distro. I'm sure there are many more changes I'm not fully aware, but I'm satisfied with still learning something new every day in the on-line scenarios.

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.

(in reply to Rudankort)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps >> No break on upgrades? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI