Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

'The Biggest & the Baddest'

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> 'The Biggest & the Baddest' Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
'The Biggest & the Baddest' - 7/10/2011 1:54:25 PM   
falco148

Have two questions regarding the aforementioned scenario. Ric Creighton and myself have just finished playing the scenario PBEM. However the game finished very abruptly with either side possibly having the potential to secure a decisive victory. What exactly is the criteria for the AI to end a battle?? I thought the scenario was about halfway through when 'bang', everything was all over! Also the final percentage score was very odd. I got a 56% score as Germans with my opponent receiving a 45%. However the AI gave my opponent a minor victory with myself ending up with a minor loss. Maybe someone involved with development of this otherwise fine game can enlighten me??

Post #: 1
RE: 'The Biggest & the Baddest' - 7/10/2011 2:05:11 PM   
junk2drive

quote:

The game ends once either player’s Victory Point gauge reaches the top. On each game map,
a flag indicates a Victory Objective; the flag color and symbol (Soviet or German) indicates
current ownership. Each of these locations is worth Victory Points, the exact number can be
found by clicking on the flag in the main view window.
Victory Points Awarded:
Objective Flag Captured = Flag Value
Unit Destroyed = Unit Point Value
Unit Damaged = ½ Unit Point Value
Defenders generally start each scenario with a significant VP advantage, since they own all of
the Victory Objectives. In some scenarios, an attacker will want to capture one of the objectives
quickly to ward off a quick defeat due to his losses. The defender’s victory points can quickly
mount if the attacker is being destroyed or damaged without taking a single objective away
from the defender.
In some scenarios, the defender can earn bonus victory points each turn after a certain time
limit is reached. While slow, methodical attacks may be the safest option, they are not always
the most successful if the scenario victory conditions call for speed on the attacker’s part.
Ownership of a Victory Objective is based on the total forces within 100 meters of the objective;
you need 20% more points within this area than your enemy to capture the objective. Contested
flags – those where neither side has 20% more points than the other within the 100m objective
zone – do not generate victory points.
At the beginning of a Multiplayer game, each side will see the flags as their own. This will not
change until after one full turn and the game can recalculate the disposition of the flags. To
win you need to get to reach the 75% mark and be 10% ahead of your opponent. If after 20
turns, one side gets to 90% of the points total for their pool and is not 10% ahead, then the
game will end as a draw. In a campaign, a draw is treated as a victory to allow you to advance
to the next battle.
Based on your victory point ratio vs. your opponent, the quality of your victory (or defeat) will
be determined. This can range from a Marginal up to a Legendary rating. Your performance in
each campaign scenario is tracked and stored. At the end of the campaign, a campaign rating
and rank is assigned to you based on your performance.

If you go back into that game and go to the battlefield screen, hover your mouse over the cross and star in the HUD above the needles and see what that percent shows. That is the score that determines a battle ending. The AAR screen score includes off map assets (I think) and may look weird sometimes.

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

(in reply to falco148)
Post #: 2
RE: 'The Biggest & the Baddest' - 7/11/2011 12:00:21 AM   
falco148

Aha....I did that and my opponent got 75% with myself at 63%. However both our victory needles were nowhere near the top of the gauge. Also I wasnt aware of any off-map 'assets' belonging to either of us.

Nevertheless I took a look at the scenario information amd it did say the expected length of it was 15 -20 turns. I guess it would pay to look more closely at this info next time...lol.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 3
RE: 'The Biggest & the Baddest' - 7/11/2011 12:05:38 AM   
junk2drive

With the old system the needle would get near the top and you would have both sides afraid to move. The new system helps by not requiring a total victory adds a way to end the battle after 20 turns.

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

(in reply to falco148)
Post #: 4
RE: 'The Biggest & the Baddest' - 7/11/2011 12:09:43 AM   
junk2drive

I just looked at the xml and there are not any off map assets. Were there any flags contested/neutral at the end?

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 5
RE: 'The Biggest & the Baddest' - 7/11/2011 1:19:48 AM   
Rik81

As the Russian part of this discussion I can report that we were each shown to be in possession of two flags when the scenario ended. Are flags awarded on the "point value" of near (what ever that means) assets? The reason is on the turn before the surprise ending the German player "Rushed" an AC to one of the flags I controlled thus ending closer to it (like right next) in spite of my closest T34/85 trying to pop him on the way by.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 6
RE: 'The Biggest & the Baddest' - 7/11/2011 2:10:07 AM   
junk2drive

From above Victory conditions quote
quote:

Ownership of a Victory Objective is based on the total forces within 100 meters of the objective;
you need 20% more points within this area than your enemy to capture the objective. Contested
flags – those where neither side has 20% more points than the other within the 100m objective
zone – do not generate victory points.

You should not show both of you owning the flags.

Edit or are there 4 flags and you each own 2? You can click the base of a flag to see the value.

< Message edited by junk2drive -- 7/11/2011 2:11:13 AM >

(in reply to Rik81)
Post #: 7
RE: 'The Biggest & the Baddest' - 7/11/2011 10:32:29 AM   
falco148

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rik81

As the Russian part of this discussion I can report that we were each shown to be in possession of two flags when the scenario ended. Are flags awarded on the "point value" of near (what ever that means) assets? The reason is on the turn before the surprise ending the German player "Rushed" an AC to one of the flags I controlled thus ending closer to it (like right next) in spite of my closest T34/85 trying to pop him on the way by.

Yes, I was lookin foward to seeing how that would end up. Now we'll never know!.....

(in reply to Rik81)
Post #: 8
RE: 'The Biggest & the Baddest' - 7/25/2011 9:06:11 AM   
pinwolf

Great scenario, I had much fun playing this one. Picture shows some 'bug' I recognized when playing 'The Biggest & Baddest'. On the northern end of the map same thing occurs.

(in reply to falco148)
Post #: 9
RE: 'The Biggest & the Baddest' - 7/25/2011 12:16:26 PM   
Mad Russian

Okay, I'll have to take a look at that and see what happened. Those sections of rail line certainly shouldn't be laying on their sides.

Thanks for letting me know about that. Glad you liked the scenario other than that issue.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to pinwolf)
Post #: 10
RE: 'The Biggest & the Baddest' - 7/25/2011 2:41:49 PM   
JMass

I loaded the scenario but the rairoad seems in order...

Attachment (1)

"Klotzen, nicht Kleckern!"Generaloberst Heinz Wilhelm Guderian

My boardgames collection: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/JMass?own=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 11
RE: 'The Biggest & the Baddest' - 7/25/2011 3:11:00 PM   
oldspec4

Railroad graphic ok for me too...

(in reply to JMass)
Post #: 12
RE: 'The Biggest & the Baddest' - 7/25/2011 3:16:43 PM   
junk2drive

3 Maus lost in one phase... ouch

(in reply to oldspec4)
Post #: 13
RE: 'The Biggest & the Baddest' - 7/25/2011 6:55:09 PM   
pinwolf

I played the Campaign. I have also the setup of this battle as save file and there all rail tracks are still placed correctly. The bug seems to occur when T-34 are driving over the rail tracks.
I have attached the save file of later stage of battle with 'rail track bug'.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Smaragdadler -- 7/25/2011 6:57:47 PM >

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 14
RE: 'The Biggest & the Baddest' - 7/26/2011 2:17:06 AM   
Mad Russian

Man those T-34's must be heavy if they can flip those tracks like that. I only thought the Maus was heavy.

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to pinwolf)
Post #: 15
RE: 'The Biggest & the Baddest' - 7/26/2011 8:16:14 AM   
pinwolf

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

3 Maus lost in one phase... ouch

Just three PzKpfw IV Ausf. J. No Mousie hurt...

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 16
RE: 'The Biggest & the Baddest' - 7/26/2011 12:47:25 PM   
Mad Russian

Thanks for the save game file.

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to pinwolf)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> 'The Biggest & the Baddest' Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI