Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Suggestion - Pretend the AI is a genius

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Suggestion - Pretend the AI is a genius Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Suggestion - Pretend the AI is a genius - 7/29/2011 3:58:12 PM   
Gargoil

This is just my 2 cents.

While I was following some AARs and other forum entries, I have detected a trend in many players to "Take Advantage" of the AI. Why would you do that?

The AI can simulate a pretty good game if you just play it with respect that you would play a good human player. If you wouldn't leave 2 hex gaps in your line against a human, why would you do it against the AI? If you would worry about a few devious moves that a human might make, you should do the same with the AI. Why?

As I say, the AI can simulate a pretty good game if you play "Honest" against it. If you do not, then you are essentially "cheatting yourself". You should play the best game you can under the assumption of good enemy play. You should avoid the "the best way to beat the AI" is to play differently than if playing a real opponent.

What do you do? What do you think?

< Message edited by Gargoil -- 7/29/2011 3:59:57 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Suggestion - Pretend the AI is a genius - 7/29/2011 4:20:37 PM   
davetheroad

OK to a point but in the '42 campaign I got sick of the AI teleporting dozens of units vast distances to block my panzer breakthroughs. As in lots of cases it would have been impossible to get the unit there in real life it ended up being a joke and I have essentially given up playing more than a few turns to try stuff out.

(in reply to Gargoil)
Post #: 2
RE: Suggestion - Pretend the AI is a genius - 7/29/2011 7:07:18 PM   
Redmarkus5

quote:

ORIGINAL: davetheroad

OK to a point but in the '42 campaign I got sick of the AI teleporting dozens of units vast distances to block my panzer breakthroughs. As in lots of cases it would have been impossible to get the unit there in real life it ended up being a joke and I have essentially given up playing more than a few turns to try stuff out.

+1

Playing the AI is like trying to punch a hole in a thick rubber bag. Every Panzer thrust is met by thick lines of Soviet units that swarm across the map like bees. You can treat the AI like a human if it has very obvious superhuman powers :)

WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2

(in reply to davetheroad)
Post #: 3
RE: Suggestion - Pretend the AI is a genius - 7/29/2011 8:02:15 PM   
Wild

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gargoil

This is just my 2 cents.

While I was following some AARs and other forum entries, I have detected a trend in many players to "Take Advantage" of the AI. Why would you do that?

The AI can simulate a pretty good game if you just play it with respect that you would play a good human player. If you wouldn't leave 2 hex gaps in your line against a human, why would you do it against the AI? If you would worry about a few devious moves that a human might make, you should do the same with the AI. Why?

As I say, the AI can simulate a pretty good game if you play "Honest" against it. If you do not, then you are essentially "cheatting yourself". You should play the best game you can under the assumption of good enemy play. You should avoid the "the best way to beat the AI" is to play differently than if playing a real opponent.

What do you do? What do you think?

This is how i play all the time. I play vs. the Soviet Ai and have a great time.

For those that say the Ai cheats or whatever, well what do you expect? It would be nice if we lived a hundred years in the future where computer opponents were genius but we don't. At least we don't live a hundred years in the past (Imagine how your computer opponent would play then).

All in all it's about expectations, if a person is realistic you can have a great time against the Ai. If not, it sounds like sour grapes to me.

Thanks to the developers for all the hard work you put in for Ai players like me.

< Message edited by Wild -- 7/30/2011 3:33:31 AM >

(in reply to Gargoil)
Post #: 4
RE: Suggestion - Pretend the AI is a genius - 7/29/2011 8:10:03 PM   
nedcorleone1

Okay then I advocate for two AI modes... the 'Unrealistic mode' for people like Wild who doesn't believe in feedback, innovation, and change and another AI mode for people like us who actually come here to voice our thoughts on how the game could be improved. Of course the former mode would block any and all game updates as well since there would be no reason to fix anything since it isn't already broken.

(in reply to Wild)
Post #: 5
RE: Suggestion - Pretend the AI is a genius - 7/29/2011 8:17:49 PM   
Wild

quote:

ORIGINAL: mr_flappypants

Okay then I advocate for two AI modes... the 'Unrealistic mode' for people like Wild who doesn't believe in feedback, innovation, and change and another AI mode for people like us who actually come here to voice our thoughts on how the game could be improved. Of course the former mode would block any and all game updates as well since there would be no reason to fix anything since it isn't already broken.

Jeez, This is probably one of the saddest excuses for a post i have ever read. How does one respond to such absolute drivel?
Please show me where i said i don't want improvements?? I simply am trying to make the point that the AI will not play like a human and people have to align their expectations accordingly, and a great time can still be had.

I'm use to to having my words twisted on this forum but this is a new low.

(in reply to nedcorleone1)
Post #: 6
RE: Suggestion - Pretend the AI is a genius - 7/29/2011 8:22:51 PM   
nedcorleone1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild
Jeez, This is probably one of the saddest excuses for a post i have ever read. How does one respond to such absolute drivel?
Please show me where i said i don't want improvements?? I simply am trying to make the point that the AI will not play like a human and people have to align their expectations accordingly, and a great time can still be had.

Drivel begets drivel. As someone who lives in the school of thought that the AI is not 'up to par' and could be improved, I do not make snide comments to people like you in the 'other school of thought' such as...

"if a person is realistic you can have a great time against the Ai." - Courtesy of Lava

Then to shine it off you leave a very supportive message for the devs

"Thanks to the developers for all the hard work you put in for Ai players like me." - Courtesy of Lava

Which taken out of context looks all fine and dandy but understood within the context... well it can be interpreted in different ways (a tactical mechanism I assume on your part).

None of this was intentional? Start by communicating more clearly. Just some advice.

(in reply to Wild)
Post #: 7
RE: Suggestion - Pretend the AI is a genius - 7/29/2011 8:31:23 PM   
Wild

Excuse me Mr. "Flappypants" hehe. If you can not understand what is being said in a simple forum, then it is no wonder you can't manage to play against the Ai without crying.

You might find this hard to believe, but i play this game to have FUN, and the devs have enabled me to have a lot of it and i am grateful (unlike yourself). Having said that, of course i want the game to be improved as much as possible. It is already a milestone in Eastern Front warfare and i expect it only to get better.

Now kindly get off your high horse. Oh yeah,... get a proper pair of pants.

< Message edited by Wild -- 7/29/2011 8:40:48 PM >

Post #: 8
RE: Suggestion - Pretend the AI is a genius - 7/29/2011 8:34:35 PM   
Gargoil

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild

Drivel begets drivel. As someone who lives in the school of thought that the AI is not 'up to par' and could be improved, I do not make snide comments to people like you in the 'other school of thought' such as...

"if a person is realistic you can have a great time against the Ai." - Courtesy of Lava

Then to shine it off you leave a very supportive message for the devs

"Thanks to the developers for all the hard work you put in for Ai players like me." - Courtesy of Lava

Which taken out of context looks all fine and dandy but understood within the context... well it can be interpreted in different ways (a tactical mechanism I assume on your part).

None of this was intentional? Start by communicating more clearly. Just some advice.

To mr_flappypants:

In all this, you have never said if you think the AI is to easy or hard to beat? I know there is no way any AI in any game is going to be as realistic and as good as playing against a real life von Manstien. Hell, it would not be even as good as my grandmother.

As for your objection to any praise being doled out the the devs - what, you don't think they deserve praise for the excelent work the have displayed? Even if it can be improved, I hardly think we should withhold all praise, and dole out only complaints until such time as the game is "PERFECT".

< Message edited by Gargoil -- 7/29/2011 8:35:17 PM >

Post #: 9
RE: Suggestion - Pretend the AI is a genius - 7/29/2011 8:42:05 PM   
nedcorleone1

quote:

Excuse me Mr. "Flappypants" hehe. If you can not understand what is being said in a simple forum, then it is no wonder you can't manage to play against the Ai without crying.

You might find this hard to believe, but i play this game to have FUN, and the devs have enabled me to have a lot of it and i am grateful (unlike yourself). Having said that of course i want the game to be improved as much as possible. It is already a milestone in Eastern Front warfare and i expect it only to get better.

Thank you for reaffirming my less-than-flattering opinion about you to not only myself but the rest of the community. I explained in full the basis for my original reply. What's sad is the fact that I had to explain to you the way your post came across. Any semi-intelligent being could interpret your message the way I had. I terminated my reply to yours with some advice about 'communicating more clearly next time' so you wouldn't come off as a jackass to someone like me. This was non-aggressive and left the door open for us to see over the misunderstanding, reconcile, move on, and get along on the forum. You however have taken the alternative approach in attacking me in such a childish way. I really hope it makes you feel better about yourself. Perhaps you are a bully in real life? May peace and love find its way to you and may your life be fruitful. I concede this quibble in lieu of more important and constructive things to do.

Okay so regarding the AI. I like the way redmarkus4 described it as trying to punch a hole in a rubber bag, a very thick one at that. I've set the game aside for now, not because I'm unable to have fun with the game, but because I want to discuss and see what changes may come about in the future (among other things). At the very least, this 'solid-wall' defense the the SU AI puts up just doesn't seem realistic at first glance.

(in reply to Wild)
Post #: 10
RE: Suggestion - Pretend the AI is a genius - 7/29/2011 8:46:38 PM   
nedcorleone1

quote:

To mr_flappypants:

In all this, you have never said if you think the AI is to easy or hard to beat? I know there is no way any AI in any game is going to be as realistic and as good as playing against a real life von Manstien. Hell, it would not be even as good as my grandmother.

As for your objection to any praise being doled out the the devs - what, you don't think they deserve praise for the excelent work the have displayed? Even if it can be improved, I hardly think we should withhold all praise, and dole out only complaints until such time as the game is "PERFECT".

1.) I've discussed on the forums in various threads multiple times about the Sov AI issue.

2.) Please refer to my statement where I said "taken out of context its all fine and dandy but put within the given context..."

Let me give you an example...

Citizen A of Group A is unhappy with the government and speaks up about how it can be improved. Citizen B of Group B who has the opposite opinion of Group A looks at this as an opportunity to undermine the ideas and mindsets of Group A and then decides to make them look bad by ass-kissing the government for their fine work.

Was that simple enough for you? This is close to how I took his comment and please don't BS me and say you can't see that as a viable interpretation of his words. I've witness attacks from 'the other side' already on this forum with people in the same school of thought as Wild suggesting that people like me are just a bunch of whiners.

(in reply to Gargoil)
Post #: 11
RE: Suggestion - Pretend the AI is a genius - 7/29/2011 8:54:13 PM   
Wild

quote:

quote:

You might find this hard to believe, but i play this game to have FUN, and the devs have enabled me to have a lot of it and i am grateful (unlike yourself). Having said that of course i want the game to be improved as much as possible. It is already a milestone in Eastern Front warfare and i expect it only to get better.

Thank you for reaffirming my less-than-flattering opinion about you to not only myself but the rest of the community. I explained in full the basis for my original reply. What's sad is the fact that I had to explain to you the way your post came across. Any semi-intelligent being could interpret your message the way I had. I terminated my reply to yours with some advice about 'communicating more clearly next time' so you wouldn't come off as a jackass to someone like me. This was non-aggressive and left the door open for us to see over the misunderstanding, reconcile, move on, and get along on the forum. You however have taken the alternative approach in attacking me in such a childish way. I really hope it makes you feel better about yourself. Perhaps you are a bully in real life? May peace and love find its way to you and may your life be fruitful. I concede this quibble in lieu of more important and constructive things to do.

Okay so regarding the AI. I like the way redmarkus4 described it as trying to punch a hole in a rubber bag, a very thick one at that. I've set the game aside for now, not because I'm unable to have fun with the game, but because I want to discuss and see what changes may come about in the future (among other things). At the very least, this 'solid-wall' defense the the SU AI puts up just doesn't seem realistic at first glance.

Flappypants, Yeah, you come across as all sugar and spice. Way to backtrack. You are the one who started the attack, perhaps you learned something and will think twice before spouting nonsense nextime. But if not i won't know it. Green Button.

Post #: 12
RE: Suggestion - Pretend the AI is a genius - 7/29/2011 9:00:16 PM   
nedcorleone1

Oh the drama continues...

PM sent to Wild:
Did it really have to come to this? The green button never even entered my mind as the 'concept' behind the green button weighs heavy even though in practice it is meaningless. Your inability to properly defend or explain yourself is supported by your use of the green button. Anyhow, it is probably for the better.
<end>

Yeah I don't plan on going anywhere.

< Message edited by mr_flappypants -- 7/29/2011 9:06:29 PM >

(in reply to Wild)
Post #: 13
RE: Suggestion - Pretend the AI is a genius - 7/29/2011 9:02:23 PM   
Gargoil

quote:

ORIGINAL:

quote:

To mr_flappypants:

1.) I've discussed on the forums in various threads multiple times about the Sov AI issue.

2.) Please refer to my statement where I said "taken out of context its all fine and dandy but put within the given context..."

Let me give you an example...

Citizen A of Group A is unhappy with the government and speaks up about how it can be improved. Citizen B of Group B who has the opposite opinion of Group A looks at this as an opportunity to undermine the ideas and mindsets of Group A and then decides to make them look bad by ass-kissing the government for their fine work.

Was that simple enough for you? This is close to how I took his comment and please don't BS me and say you can't see that as a viable interpretation of his words. I've witness attacks from 'the other side' already on this forum with people in the same school of thought as Wild suggesting that people like me are just a bunch of whiners.

Okay - I mean to get this under control. So let me make my position clear.

I respect and agree with your opinion - the AI needs improvement.
I have not seen anyone (Wild included) on this thread that disagrees with that assessment.

The only thing I take exception to is your tone. It was belittling and dismissive. Maybe you just having a bad day. Have a nice rest of the day mr_flappypants.

Post #: 14
RE: Suggestion - Pretend the AI is a genius - 7/29/2011 9:06:28 PM   
nedcorleone1

Thanks Gargoil. I'm actually having a very fine day. Wild's message was interpreted in a semi-hostile way due to other postings I've read regarding those of us who speak about AI issues as I have explained above. That being said, I was careful to the extent of my belittling and from a neutral standpoint you should be able to see how Wild's ultimatum was completely uncalled for. Anyhow, its no longer an issue. I've been blacklisted (oh no!) and we won't have the ability to continue on. But yes you are correct sir I was a belitting and dismissive (to what extent I'll leave for the readers to decide). I hope you sir are having a great one as well. When I return home I'll drink a cold one in your name.

(in reply to Gargoil)
Post #: 15
RE: Suggestion - Pretend the AI is a genius - 7/31/2011 7:39:23 AM   
56ajax

Well back to the original intent of this thread....when playing against the german AI I have a house rule that allows only max 3 displacements of AXIS HQs per turn...otherwise whats the point (and i dont allow my surrounded units to drive on Warsaw, berlin etc)

Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Suggestion - Pretend the AI is a genius Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI