Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

EiA and EiH

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> EiA and EiH Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
EiA and EiH - 9/26/2002 8:41:20 AM   
Treasure

Hi all,

It is a great pleasure to be able to participate on this project and I am greatly looking forward to it. Having EiA on the computer is something that I've dreamed about for several years.

The screenshots look interesting and I'm very impressed with the artwork on the map and for the counters that I've seen.

I am curious to hear thoughts as to particular differences/options of EiH that people would like or dislike to see in the game, and other ideas for new things to be added.
I think that by having EiA as a computer game, there are many things that can be done that would be rather difficult due to bookkeeping issues in a FtF or PBEM game.
I'd be curious for your input.

Mt
Post #: 1
EiH Options - 9/26/2002 10:35:35 AM   
Thresh1642

Hi Michael,

I'd like to have a choice between which land and naval combat charts to use (assuming they are integral to the game and I have a chit choice).

I'd also like to see the EiH Scenarios added, not all of us like to play the Grand Campaign each time.

Until we get more details about the game, their isnt much more I can ask about. Other than playtesting....hehe

(in reply to Treasure)
Post #: 2
- 9/26/2002 1:04:05 PM   
Treasure

Hi Todd,

I'd like to see those options as well. I'm going to look over the combat charts again, as some people have suggested that some of the new land tactics (versus the ones in EiA) aren't as balanced as they should be.

I also support having a variety of scenarios; the ones with the EiA rules as a minimum, and hopefully push it back to 1788 and include a few before 1805. Ideally some way for users to create/modify scenarios would be nice as well.

Mt

(in reply to Treasure)
Post #: 3
EiA and EiH ??? - 10/9/2002 7:53:50 AM   
mars

Hi All,
Unfortunately being new to this forum idea I certainly know what EiA is but what is EiH???

If someone could please enlighten me I could probably make some useful contribution:confused:

Many Thanks

(in reply to Treasure)
Post #: 4
- 10/9/2002 10:46:19 AM   
Treasure

Hi Mars,
EiH stands for "Empires in Harm", a sort of Advanced EiA that I've been working on for several years, together with input from a good number of people in the EiA community. If you are curious for more details, take a look at the [URL=http://empiresinharm.com]EiH Website[/URL] , and/or the [URL=http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eih]Yahoo egroup for EiH[/URL].
Mt

(in reply to Treasure)
Post #: 5
- 10/17/2002 6:46:15 PM   
strategy

Interesting to see a Boardgaming veteran like yourself on the project. Downloaded EIH back when I had time to play EIA, but never got around to ever playing it - too many new rules, exceptions, complications et al to make it possible to collect 5 guys to play the game (at least in my area - it was hard enough finding people for ordinary EIA).

Just one request: in everything you do, please consider - can this be done in some easier/better/more intuitive/less random manner on the PC? Boardgames and PC's are two very different media, and have very different strengths and weaknesses.

It's great to port a board game to the computer, but one really should avoid porting that boardgame's weaknesses on to the computer as well.

A very good example is the combat system, which is (quite frankly) rather awful in EiA. The idea of selecting tactics and having a morale/casaulty system is great, but the underlying combat system should, IMO, be significantly overhauled to produce more reasonable results.

Michael Akinde / Strategy
Imperium - Rise of Rome (http://www.fenrir.dk/imperium/)

(in reply to Treasure)
Post #: 6
- 10/17/2002 8:13:29 PM   
Repo Man

While in some ways, I love the ability to choose tactics for combat, as others have said it really is essentially an enhanced game of rock-paper-scissors. The other effect of this system is to base tactical results on the skill of the player, as opposed to the tactical rating of the field commander.
A while ago, I was tinkering with a system to remove the combat options, and base combat solely upon participating leader’s tactical ratings. Something along this line would probably expedite game play when players are not face to face or logged onto a server simultaneously.

Repo Man

(in reply to Treasure)
Post #: 7
- 10/23/2002 8:31:47 PM   
DodgyDave

well they could perhaps include that as an option, but the basic game of EIA should be there, not modified.

To include EIH is a must i say :)

(in reply to Treasure)
Post #: 8
- 11/28/2002 5:02:02 AM   
Reknoy

I have played with the Advanced Combat and Advanced Naval rules before and have to say they added a lot of complexity while not adding a lot of value.

There were several combat choices (Counter Echelon I think) that were over-powerful.

I like the concept put forth behind EiH. I just think a lot of playtesting would be needed to avoid imbalancing results...

Not as if I know anything. :)

(in reply to Treasure)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> EiA and EiH Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI