Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Das darf nicht var sein!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Das darf nicht var sein! Page: <<   < prev  44 45 [46] 47 48   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 8/6/2011 2:48:58 PM   
Nemo121

Dan,

1. Steve won't recover, no. I've been saying this for 4 to 5 months of gametime. Another player taking over who has the discipline to conduct a root and branch strategic re-analysis might recover and be able to take Sumatra through an isolation + later invasion strategy.

Attacking the Kuriles and taking them all wouldn't change his strategic situation at all. Taking the Kuriles won't save his economy or gain him ground you MUST retake.

If he tries to move vs Southern Sumatra I think you'll break him. Why? He'll be too direct with too little force. He could either be less direct ( but I don't think he's tricky enough ) or bring more force ( but he squanders it in side-efforts which rob his main thrust of the necessary weight ).

2. Hmm, well you know I think that I think that there are a lot of abusive people on the forum who would simply love to twist anything I say in response to that and misrepresent it as some sort of narcissistic rant. What I will say is that I believe an isolate and invade strategy backed with sufficient force would succeed in trapping and destroying your force in Sumatra - at which time one could take care of the Kuriles at one's leisure. Any player who could appropriately and ruthlessly prioritise their strategic planning, concentrate forces and carry it through with a modicum of operational and tactical ability would be able to isolate and take Southern Sumatra. It would take so long that that would mark their culmination point though. I do not believe many players on the forum have shown the necessary strategic prioritisation, focus and insight to do that though. I believe that there are about 8 or 9 who could do this. Your opponent is not, IMO, one of those 8 or 9.

3. Or you could land on the Western Malaysian coast - that would create significant problems for the troops in both Northern Sumatra and Burma and would raise the spectre of cutting his troops in Burma off from their land-locked supply lines as well as forcing him to either commit more of his reserves to stabilise Malaysia OR draw troops from the Northern Sumatran thrust back into Malaysia to stabilise Malaysia. Whatever he does you will get to kill troops and ships at sea - which is always the easiest place to kill them.

In my game in a similar situation I blocked in Northern Sumatra and landed in Malaysia. Once that happened my opponent quit because, I believe, he had no significant reserves left to throw in and thus I was about to break out and create a contiguous Allied landbased line of communication running all the way from India uninterruptedly to Shanghai - in Mid-42.

4. When I defended in Palembang I took huge pains - not mentioned in my AAR since I was concerned about FatR being his normal cheating self and spilling my plans to my opponent - to build up the Cocos Islands in order to enable me to continue bringing troops into Southern Sumatra even if the Japanese took bases in Java etc. My thinking was to ship them into the Cocos Islands, unload them under a large CAP and then fly them into Southern Sumatra. It also invited his SC TFs to come into MY air range and outside of his LRCAP to tangle with my shipping. Even a 1:1 exchange rate would work in my favour since I'd be able to improve it by killing cripples with airstrikes the next day.

John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1351
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 8/6/2011 8:40:31 PM   
desicat

Nemo brings up an interesting concept but for the sake of accuracy I will elaborate a little bit on what he brought up.

Culmination point is an interesting concept that is one of the main building blocks behind the works of Clausewitz. Clausewitz concept is slightly different than what Nemo is talking about as Clausewitz refers to the Culminating Point of Victory.

".....In the progress of action in war, the combatant force is incessantly meeting with elements which strengthen it, and others which weaken it. Hence it is a question of superiority on one side or the other. As every diminution of power on one side is to be regarded as an increase on the opposite, it follows, of course, that this double current, this ebb and flow, takes place whether troops are advancing or retiring...." There is more to this concept than the part I clipped, follow the link below to read the whole chapter.

http://www.clausewitz.com/readings/OnWar1873/Bk7ch21.html

I would surmise that Steve has been off balance since the loss of his fast AO's immediately following the attack at Pearl Harbor has has never been in a position to get the upper hand let alone reach a culminating point. To reach the culmination point of victory (in a historical context for Japan) Steve would have to be on the offensive yet for most of the game he has been in a reactive posture.

CR's latest question to Nemo suggests that CR feels Steve could still be in a position to gather sufficient force to still achieve some sort of victory (at least in Sumatra). IMHO the only thing Japan can still accomplish in the game would be to further their "High Water Mark", victory is no longer possible and a culminating point is no longer attainable. The U.S. could in theory reach a culminating point at some later point in the game by suffering a reversal so disastrous that it would allow Japan to survive late into 1946, but I don't foresee this outcome.

< Message edited by desicat -- 8/7/2011 10:45:29 PM >

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 1352
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 8/6/2011 9:01:39 PM   
desicat

CR I want to thank you for writing this AAR, I have really enjoyed this contest.

I think you should not be too humble when taking note that folks on the boards regard your play very highly.

When I first started playing I really wanted to be a Japanese Fan Boy because of the challenge, but the inability to really "win" the game was a nagging problem for me. Without a political aspect of the game forcing the Allies to contest Japan's early advances I soon lost interest in playing. I hated pilot training and working the economy, it became a chore instead of a game. So I moved on to play the Allies.

As an Allied player you know you will win, the only question is when. So where lies the greatest challenge? I have always felt that the "Sir Robin" approach was not only completely Politically unacceptable but boring for both sides, it really cheats the Japanese player of an opportunity to enjoy the game. This game has been exciting and challenging for the Allied player, all your moves have been fraught with peril. You still are using poor quality land, sea, and air units in your forward defense and taxing your imagination and ability to implement and execute stratagems throughout the entire map.

Because of this I have always been amazed when folks state that this game should end. Don't they understand the tension of taking on the Japanese at the height of their power? To deny yourself the opportunity to see the results of your forward defense would be a true tragedy. Winning is nice but the joy of the game and its inherent interactions is where the fun truly is.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1353
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 8/6/2011 9:35:29 PM   
Cribtop

Desicat, I fully agree with your assertion that CR has played a masterful game. Quite an achievement we will all remember for a long time.

For months I thought as you did about the Japanese situation, but now I am not so sure. Read Nemo's Downfall AARs. If he can stonewall the Big Green Machine with the poo available to Japan in 1945 (in fairness some of the late war stuff isn't poo, but in relative terms it pales to the Allied might), I am re-evaluating the strategic possibilities of Japan in the late war period. It is still true that Japanese victory is nigh impossible, but I actually am looking forward to the later stages of my game with Cuttlefish to see what can be achieved against the odds.

(in reply to desicat)
Post #: 1354
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 8/6/2011 10:23:50 PM   
Nemo121

Hmm, I think my use of culmination point accurately reflects Clausewitz's usage and intention.

I don't think Culmination Points are necessarily limited to the offensive and they certainly aren't limited just to victory. A good definition follows:
quote:

Culmination Point is the point at which a force no longer has the capability to continue its current form of operations, offensive or defensive.

A. In the offence, the point at which continuing the attack is no longer possible and the force must consider reverting to a defensive posture or attemping an operational pause.
B. In the defence, the point at which counteroffensive action is no longer possible.

So, utilising the portion of the definition in A above. Steve's culmination point happened during the Kuriles/Aleutians operation and he failed to recognise that he culminated. Since then he hasn't gained anything but lost far more than he would have had he, properly, transitioned to the defensive at that point in time.

I'd offer a counter-quote from Clausewitz to illustrate this:
quote:

The natural goal of all campaign plans therefore is the turning point at which the attach becomes defence. If one were to go beyond that point, it would not only be a useless effort which could not add to succsss. It would in fact be a damaging one...

Since the Aleutians Steve hasn't achieved anything strategically decisive but he HAS suffered excessive losses which will damage his ability to maintain a strong defence once he transitions to that stance.

quote:

This is why the great majority of generals will prefer to stop well short of their objective rather than risk approaching it too closely and why those with high courage and an enterprising spirit will often overshoot it and fail to attain their purpose. Only the man who can achieve great results with limited means [i.e., the military genius] has really hit the mark.

Desicat,
Culmination points don't equate to victory. Offensives and defensive operations reach culmination points when they are no longer tenable. The Culmination Point of Victory which Clausewitz spoke of is a possible end state of offensive action but it is only one of the possible end states. If Culmination Point of Victory could be rephrased as "The Culmination Point which occurs when an offensive succeeds and you transition to the pursuit" another possible end state is that culmination point of the offensive when your offensive clearly won't succeed and you have to transition to the defensive.

Also Clausewitz's writing assumes zero sum game theory applies to war. While, in the end, that may be true it isn't necessarily true of all operations. E.g. A force can transition from a formed defence to a guerilla type defence not because its defensive operations have culminated and they no longer have the ability to resist and, as a corollary, the offensive force has reached a culmination point where its offensive has succeeded and can transition to a pursuit. This is the zero sum outcome Clausewitz envisaged. In reality though forces can transition to other states BEFORE they reach their culmination points such that, e.g. The Taliban transitioned to very much a guerilla war as opposed to trying to take on Allied forces head-on long before they reached the culmination point of their head-on strategy. Why? They could see that culmination point coming and cut their losses before coming up with a new approach. Likewise no-one could successfully argue that Allied forces reached the culmination point of their offensive operations and achieved "victory" and forcing the Taliban to transition to a more guerilla-based engagement strategy than previously in 2003/2004.

Also Culmination points were eminently applicable to the operational level in Clausewitzes thinking so it would be natural that a long war would feature multiple culmination points. When you say:
quote:

IMHO the only thing Japan can still accomplish in the game would be to further their "High Water Mark", victory is no longer possible and a culminating point is no longer attainable.

I have to disagree strenuously. There is more than enough time for each side to achieve, pass or fail to achieve another 20 culmination points each. It isn't as though any one side only has one culmination point throughout the entire war. Only that very last offensive of the war which gains complete, strategic victory and fulfills national policy objectives has a final culmination point. I think you either misunderstand that or from what you've written it is unclear.

I'll quote from FM 100-5 here. It isn't perfect but it is a good document written by smart people in a manner designed to be easily understood - whereas Clausewitz's writings can be indecipherable unless you understand the literary context and social context within which he wrote.

quote:

Unless it is strategically decisive every offensive operation will sooner or later reach a point where the strength of the attacker no longer significantly exceeds that of the defender and beyond which continued offensive operations therefore risk overextension, counterattack and defeat. In operational theory, this point is called the culminating point. The art of attack at all levels is to achieve decisive objectives before the culminating point is reached. Conversely, the art of the defence is to hasten the culmination of the attack, recognise its advent and be prepared to go over to the offence when it arrives.

Transitioning this to the strategic level it is clear to me that by the end of the 1st week of April in-game Chez most definitely reached his culmination point ( attacking the AOs might be a bump in the road but most definitely wasn't even remotely close to a culmination point ). Canoerebel appears to have recognised this with prompting about 2 months later, CHez hasn't yet recognised it.

Obviously YMMV but the culmination point was clearly the 1st week in April with the fighting in the north of the map. You may argue it was actually mid-March when that decision was taken but I wouldn't have expected people to know that at the time. The end of the 1st week in April though was pretty clear as the culmination point. Since then Chez has achieved nothing but overextension at such cost that he is speeding his own coming defeat.

As to the Allies inevitably winning. Not necessarily so. In a long-term game ( Grand Campaign ) it should be possible for Japan to hold out with an intact perimeter and economy until the end of 1946. Unfortunately Allied players have always quit by the end of 1942 when such a stratagem was attemped. Even in 1945 though meaningful defence is possible - possible to such an extent as to inflict disproportionate losses and cause morale failure in opponents.

As to quitting now... Well, I agree winning is really an irrelevancy as far as I'm concerned. What matters is the challenge and being able to put good, skillfull plans into play. However, when an opponent will no longer provide a significant challenge it is better to accept a surrender and move onto another game. I think that Chez may well mount a solid defence but I don't think that solid defence will really challenge Canoerebel as much as he needs to be challenged to improve. IMO, right now, Canoerebel doesn't need to continue an average game vs a nice, solid player. He needs to take on someone at his own tier of the game or someone better. He can improve most, at this stage, by playing those as good or better than him. Given my view of the game my feeling is he should invest his time in what is most likely to improve his play over the decades of life he has left - and that would be taking on a game against someone really tough who will hand him some significant beatings or, at least, really challenge him even if that opponent loses.

Different strokes for different folks.

As an aside: For those looking for more reading on the issue I'd suggest:
1. Don't start with Clausewitz, it'll confuse you. He's brilliant but you need to read about his context ( social, philosophical and cultural ) for months before you can actualyl understand what he says. If you don't you'll THINK you get it and actually won't.

2. FM100-5 is good but I prefer the Marine equivalents. They're a bit more manoeuvrist and indirect while still hugely focussed by Clausewitz and the US Army philosophical precedent - Air Land Battle from the 80s - which got the idea out there but didn't really ensure small unit cohesion sufficiently for my tastes.

3. One lovely article I found online a while back is found at
Col Hall's Culminating Points PDF

He not only talks about culminating points but touches on how OODA loops and cognitive momentum play into the breach of culmination points. If there's interest that would be a pdf I'd be interested in discussing with others in one of my extant AARs. I think it is a very nice, succinct summary of the issues. There's also a very nice emphasis on the need to recognise your OPPONENT'S culmination point so you can transition onto the offensive ASAP before he recovers equilibrium. Vs Chez Canoerebel is fine because Chez keeps on not recognising he has culminated so the window of opportunity in which he continues to overbalance, overextend and fritter away forces is expanding. Against a good opponent Canoerebel's slowness in recognising the culmination point and his lack of reserves waiting to exploit said culmination point mean his opponent would have transitioned and recovered by now and the opportunity would have been lost. To be fair though Canoerebel wasn't, I believe, familiar with the concept of culmination points theoretically or practically and thus it cannot be expected that he would consciously prepare, promulgate and apportion forces to take advantage of the window of opportunity presented by his opponent's culmination point.

That's one reason why I think he needs to play top-notch people next. Right now even small misses like that are OK since his opponents make far, far bigger mistakes. Against a top notch player all these little issues will be exposed and since Canoerebel wants to improve once they're exposed he'll make a point of eradicating those little issues.

4. The absolute best sources for reading about Operational Art are, IMO, Soviet works on the subject. The Soviets had issues which turned their practice into something which was, at times, shoddy but their theoretical thinking was top-notch. Better than the Germans before WW2 and better than the Americans and Germans during the Cold War. So, read what you can get about it from House and Glantz. They've translated/written some good stuff focussing on the development of Operational Art - much of which deals with culmination points etc etc even if it doesn't use those terms.

Anyways, I've gotten too drawn back into the forum by this interesting issue. Lurk mode re-engaged.

< Message edited by Nemo121 -- 8/6/2011 10:42:14 PM >

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 1355
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 8/6/2011 11:27:56 PM   
JeffroK

When this is over you have to ask Chez what he was thinking, why diddnt he...........

As to he ability to recover , put yourself in his shoes as far as you can.

How can he hurt you in Sumatra, land attack from Sabang area, heavy bomber campaign from Singapore, Batavia/Merak, Carrier/SS Blocakde. (I would chose the latter and get my LCU into Burma to push north to cut acces to Burma)

In the Gilberts he can do the same, interdict your bases by air, get a small CV force across your LOC (I would get out of Pago Pago after developing a different line of defense)

Dont compile a list and worry that he can do everything, just make sure that you have a counter, as mentioned earlier have a reserve capable of deploying to a threatened point (A Bde and Air Transport hub somewhere)

I think you have done well in your style, Its nice for others to quote Clausewitz or Sun Tzu and use big words and prostrate themselves at your feet.But you still have a big battle ahead, and the loss of your CV force in the Indian Ocean could see your Sumatra force left in the lurch.

Make sure you are ready for it.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 1356
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 8/6/2011 11:35:22 PM   
Nemo121

quote:

Its nice for others to quote Clausewitz or Sun Tzu and use big words and prostrate themselves at your feet.

That's highly pejorative, unhelpful and a gross misrepresentation.

< Message edited by Nemo121 -- 8/6/2011 11:38:55 PM >

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 1357
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 8/7/2011 12:19:41 AM   
John 3rd

Chez lost this game in February-March 1942. Stated that then and I believe it even more strongly now. When he lost the initiative in one theatre he allowed it to expand into two and now three. Game, Set, Match.

You could use any terms you want but the simple reality is he NEVER effectively responded to Dan. Never concentrated once it became obvious that he should and had to. Never found ANY sort of method to regain the initiative in any way, shape, or form.

My question is WHY? We KNOW he is a good, experienced Japanese player. I stayed away from his AAR because it seemed the right thing to do. Now I'm filled to the brim with questions...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 1358
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 8/7/2011 2:23:09 AM   
desicat

Nemo, I don't think you understand the context from which I was approaching the question. I was diagnosing the Japanese operations from a Strategic perspective in a historical context.

In the historical context the Japanese could have been considered to have reached their culmination point somewhere before the battle at Midway due to the results of the battle itself. That was an occasion where a tactical operation had decisive strategic impact.

In this game Chez never brought his forces to bare in such a way to ever force the Allies into a decisive battle that had an impact on any of his theater campaigns, hence no Operational or Strategic opportunities for victory. In a historical context in late 41 and early 42 the Japanese had several campaigns where they had decisive victories and due to Allied weakness, they never approached a culminating point until the loss of their greatest strategic asset (the KB - their center of gravity).

I was only referring to the culminating point in the context of offensive operations because I was taking the case of Japanese historical operations vs their actions in this game.

It would have been imprudent for Steve to halt offensive operations after his setback in the Kurile Campaign because he still has the ability to achieve both tactical and operational superiority in any theater he chooses by committing the KB - hence CR's concern about potential Japanese operations in and around Sumatra.

This AAR has been so interesting and the only thing I can compare it to is the Winter War where Finland held off the USSR and really had no business doing so. In the long run Finland could not match the Russians military power, but the Russians failure to use that power effectively had more impact on events than the military efforts of the Finn's themselves.

I think Clausewitz is a great read if one Understands that it was a work in progress when he died. Some of the better sections bring out "light bulb" moments for folks who read it. The FM's are fine, but I would recommend Masters of War, by Michael Handel. Easy to understand, great historical reference to make his points.

http://www.amazon.com/Masters-War-Classical-Strategic-Thought/dp/0714681326

Glantz is a great reference book but I have found him to provide more Order of Battle information and skimp on any analysis.

So to sum it all up I don't disagree with you, I just think were are discussing different shades of the same color.

***It is very difficult to discuss culmination points in a war that has multiple campaigns and theaters, too easy to misunderstand what the point of the conversation is and at what level of war the discussion is centered***

JeffK - I don't think anyone here is prostrating themselves, there is just a different conversation going on that may or may not be of interest to everyone reading the thread.

< Message edited by desicat -- 8/7/2011 4:34:10 AM >

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 1359
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 8/7/2011 2:40:19 AM   
JeffroK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

quote:

Its nice for others to quote Clausewitz or Sun Tzu and use big words and prostrate themselves at your feet.

That's highly pejorative, unhelpful and a gross misrepresentation.

Too bad.

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 1360
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 8/7/2011 3:21:36 AM   
Nemo121

Desicat,

Jeffk is serving his own agenda with his posts. It is one in which the facts don't matter as much as the points which can be scored. It isn't worth engaging with him fully IMO.

As to different shades, I agree.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 1361
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 8/7/2011 5:52:19 AM   
whippleofd

To no one in particular:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwTGGHaCHAE&feature=related

Having said that, I respectfully recomend to let the AAR continue and take the other conversations elseware.

Whipple

MMCS(SW/AW) 1981-2001
1981 RTC, SD
81-82 NPS, Orlando
82-85 NPTU, Idaho Falls
85-90 USS Truxtun (CGN-35)
90-93 USS George Washington (CVN-73)
93-96 NFAS Orlando
96-01 Navsea-08/Naval Reactors

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 1362
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 8/7/2011 6:27:54 AM   
John 3rd

Thanks for the laugh Whipple but I have to say CR HATES that movie...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to whippleofd)
Post #: 1363
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 8/7/2011 7:10:12 AM   
JeffroK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

Desicat,

Jeffk is serving his own agenda with his posts. It is one in which the facts don't matter as much as the points which can be scored. It isn't worth engaging with him fully IMO.

As to different shades, I agree.

Huh, Sid was the last one to claim I have an agenda

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 1364
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 8/7/2011 7:19:52 AM   
JeffroK

Apologies CR, if you played lots more turns everyday I wouldnt be waiting for YOUR next post.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 1365
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 8/7/2011 8:40:40 PM   
Canoerebel

I think it is still possible that Steve could recover his equilibrium, pull together what's needed to deal with the sitautions in Sumatra and the Kuriles, and then dig in for an effective defense of the Japanese empire.  Not saying that's going to happen, but rather that it could.  I'm not ready to county my chickens.

Steve is very much his own man, but I can't dismiss the possibility that he's listening to good advice out there. For instance, the way he is handling his air force makes me wonder if he hasn't carefully read Nemo's AAR vs. One-Eyed-Jacks.  At one point, Nemo (and others) discussed at length how One-Eyed-Jacks might recover from his own setbacks.  One of Nemo's suggestions was to halt the air campaign long enough to train up the Japanese air force really well, and to then overhwelm the Allies. 

Steve essentially discontinued the air war back in March or thereabouts.  I feel sure he's doing just what Nemo suggested (possibly on his own initiative, but it's certainly possible he's a reader).

Bottom Line:  I have to be very careful with Sumatra.  If I win that, the Allies are in a position to win the war sooner (if Steve concedes) or a bit later (after moving forward through Borneo and Malaya into the Philippines and Vietnam).  If I lose Sumatra, though, I have to start from nearly the beginning (New Guinea, etc.) and work my way forward without all the forces I've expended in defending Sumatra.  High stakes.

As re:  Nemo's comment about Cocos Island, it is indeed a critical point in the Fortress Sumatra complex.  The Allies have 100 AV, three forts, and airfields built to two and increasing there.  A Port Service unit is on the way from Capetown to help with unloading.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 8/7/2011 8:41:34 PM >

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 1366
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 8/7/2011 9:29:58 PM   
Canoerebel

6/9/42

SoPac:  Hiei, Chikuma and Tone returned to bombard Pago Pago and tangled with a small American DD force and then a large cruiser/destroyer force.  One USN DD is heavily damaged, but CA New Orleans managed a penetrating hit and "critical damage" message on Hiei.  The transports carrying the RCT are just two hexes NE, but I'm going to hold all but one there tonight - the other will see if the port is clear to land a company.

CenPac:  Quiet this turn as more and more transports clear the area.  Japanese patrol activity (and interest) remains high.

NoPac:  A Tf of undefined composition, but likely to include CVE Hosho, is just SW of Amchitka Island.

DEI:  Quiet, though an important aircraft-carrying transport TF will arrive at Oosthaven tomorrow or the next day.  The port is guarded by two BB TFs.  The Mini-KB reported in the South China Sea yesterday is heading NE and is a hex from Jesselton.

Bay of Bengal:  The KB has pulled back from Sabang to Georgeotwn.  Three TFs totaling five CV and three CVE (and totaling 69 fighters, 192 bombers, and 70 auxilliary).

SEAC:  Mutsu, Nagato, Kumano, Atago and Takao bombard Pegu, which is essentially vacant now (one small Burma Army unit of 2 AV and a base force detachment.  Steve is bringing in troops to attack an army that has departed.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1367
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 8/7/2011 9:40:26 PM   
princep01

Princep slowly turned the doorknob hoping not to alert anyone lurking on the other side. His Browning 9MM was at his side. He cracked the door slowly. The room was still choked with smoke. A shadowy figure stood erect in the middle of the room with his back to the door. He was apparently surveying the wreckage and did not seem to have a drawn weapon.

Princep spoke in a firm voice...."Hands where I can see them, pal. I'm not here to make trouble." The figure turned slowly, hands empty and arms slightly outstetched. Princep asked, "And whom might you be"? The figure answered through the gloom, "I'm Canoerebel, author of this AAR. Mind lowering the gun? Besides, it seems there has been enough of trouble. My AAR is a wreck".

Princep nodded as he holstered his pistol. He looked around at the smoldering room. "Let me guess. Your AAR was visited by the Tome Writer and he pissed off a reader named, JeffK or FatR? It looks like their work".

Canoerebel nodded slowly confirming the guess. "They really left a mess this time", he said.

"Not the first time, huh"? asked Princep. "The sad thing my friend, it that they always seem to carry out these little vendettas in the best AARs. Sorry it happened here again. You think you can fix it this time"?

Canoerebel had a determined look on his face. "Yeah, it will take some time to clean this mess up, but yeah, I'm determined to carry on".

Princep, nodded. "Glad to hear it. This is a good one and you're one of the best we have around here. Have a good evening". They shook hands. Princep turned and walked out into the night.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1368
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 8/7/2011 10:36:13 PM   
Canoerebel

Princep, I see you are at heart a writer!  Your narrative reminds me of the beginning of Alistair MacLean's When Eight Bells Toll, when a British agent stealithly enters the statetroom of a ship only to find himself looking down the barrell of a Peacemaker Colt pistol.  :)

I was absent yesterday on a long hiking trip in the mountains, so I wasn't involved in the exchange of dialogue and even now haven't read all of it due to time constraints.  But I will say that I specifically asked Nemo's opinion, even putting him in the awkward position of having to tout his own ability.  He was kind enough to reply in detail, and yet also managed to do so diplomatically and graciously.

Nemo catches some heat from a few folks, in part because he is blunt enough to offer candid assessments of players' abilities (including my own).  That can make tough reading at times, or he may occasionally say things in a way that rubs some of us wrong, but I've found his analysis and insight very helpful and oftentimes quite remarkable. Given his contributions to the game, we need him around as much as possible.

All the ruckus that gets raised from time to time when Nemo states his opinion probably makes him loath to state his opinions in the forums, if doing so inevitably leads to contratemps (how's that for a word, Cribtop?), but I would very much like Nemo to feel welcome here and to continue with his insightful AARs.

P.S.  I can't think of a person that posts in here that isn't a good guy and most welcome.  Thank you all for contributing and the many kindnesses you've shown.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 8/7/2011 10:41:29 PM >

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 1369
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 8/8/2011 12:30:43 AM   
Cribtop

Contretemps. Very erudite indeed, counsel. We call that a ten dollar word in Texas.

Princep, are you a fan of Film Noir, per chance? Very Sam Spade.

< Message edited by Cribtop -- 8/8/2011 12:31:36 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1370
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 8/8/2011 12:39:54 AM   
princep01

Yes, Crib, I am. The use of shadow is a forgotten art in today's very graphic films. But, then I am a fan of films period.

I'll not hijack your great AAR, CR, but I saw one yesterday that really did it for me. Another Earth is, imho, a fantastic film about redemption told thru a rarely used medium (sci-fi). Acting is superior, particularly the female lead (Brit ?).

Okay, I'm done. No more about films from me.

Looking forward to the next installment

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 1371
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 8/8/2011 2:26:21 AM   
Paladin1dcs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I think it is still possible that Steve could recover his equilibrium, pull together what's needed to deal with the sitautions in Sumatra and the Kuriles, and then dig in for an effective defense of the Japanese empire.  Not saying that's going to happen, but rather that it could.  I'm not ready to county my chickens.

Steve is very much his own man, but I can't dismiss the possibility that he's listening to good advice out there. For instance, the way he is handling his air force makes me wonder if he hasn't carefully read Nemo's AAR vs. One-Eyed-Jacks.  At one point, Nemo (and others) discussed at length how One-Eyed-Jacks might recover from his own setbacks.  One of Nemo's suggestions was to halt the air campaign long enough to train up the Japanese air force really well, and to then overhwelm the Allies. 

Steve essentially discontinued the air war back in March or thereabouts.  I feel sure he's doing just what Nemo suggested (possibly on his own initiative, but it's certainly possible he's a reader).

Bottom Line:  I have to be very careful with Sumatra.  If I win that, the Allies are in a position to win the war sooner (if Steve concedes) or a bit later (after moving forward through Borneo and Malaya into the Philippines and Vietnam).  If I lose Sumatra, though, I have to start from nearly the beginning (New Guinea, etc.) and work my way forward without all the forces I've expended in defending Sumatra.  High stakes.

As re:  Nemo's comment about Cocos Island, it is indeed a critical point in the Fortress Sumatra complex.  The Allies have 100 AV, three forts, and airfields built to two and increasing there.  A Port Service unit is on the way from Capetown to help with unloading.

If in fact Steve is rebuilding his pilot cadres, is there any way to investigate this and confirm or reject this idea? After all, if he's attempting to rebuild as you believe, and has basically stood down his Air Force until the job is completed with the idea of overwhelming you once it's finished, then it would seem in your best interest to hamper this rebuilding as much as possible. As I'm new to the game, I don't know if there is a way to hamper a player's training program, but it's worth investigating.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1372
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 8/8/2011 3:15:57 AM   
Alfred

You can't disrupt an opponents pilot training program.

The most you can do is try to persuade him that he has to use his airforce in combat. Even then there are Japanese units which will not be in combat and their pilots will merrily continue training.

Alfred

(in reply to Paladin1dcs)
Post #: 1373
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 8/8/2011 3:44:07 AM   
Paladin1dcs

Can you force pilot losses on him by strafing his forces on the ground or must the kills be A2A?

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 1374
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 8/8/2011 3:52:32 AM   
Alfred

You have missed my point. There are too many Japanese units who are way beyond reach of Allied strikes.

Alfred

(in reply to Paladin1dcs)
Post #: 1375
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 8/8/2011 8:23:12 AM   
Smeulders

Even if the Allies could manage to force the Japanese to a fight, it will only hurt the Allies more. They are short of trained pilots as well and an offensive stance in the air will mean battles over Japanese bases, meaning the Allies will lose more pilots.

The AE-Wiki, help fill it out

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 1376
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 8/8/2011 9:48:05 AM   
CaptBeefheart

The only way to disrupt his pilot training is by invading Okinawa, Tanegashima and those Shimas and Jimas south of Tokyo.

I just want to chime in that I'm getting about as much out of this AAR as your other one, CR, which is to say quite a lot, and I'm much obliged.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 1377
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 8/8/2011 3:16:03 PM   
Canoerebel

6/10/42

Ten days into June and the Allies still hold Batavia and Merak on Java.  That and other little things do make you wonder if Japan has a well-thought-out plan to hammer the Allies.

CenPac:  I-175 scores its fourth strike in a week, putting a TT into BB Colorado, doing light damage.  The Colorado/Warspite TF is ready to withdraw, so it will move east a few hexes.  I have the Ocean Island-prepped RCT approaching the area - perhaps three days east of Tarawa.  I don't need her for Ocean, since a 32nd Div. battalion garrisoned it.  There are three possible uses for this new RCT - garrison vacant Abemama, reinforce the garrison at Tarawa (taking it up to about 450, which should be enough), or invade Mili if it is still vacant.  The latter is an enticing option - I would probably lose most of my transports to enemy air, but seizing Mili would ratchet up the stress-level for Steve.  Also, new patrols out of Wake sight the only remaining Allied ship - a PC that was patroling just to the south and west.  This will get Steve's attention.

SoPac:  A company of 19th RCT comes ashore at Pago Pago, increasing the garrison to 410 AV.  The rest of the transports will come in to port tonight with fingers crossed.  No sign of Hiei and friends at the moment.

NoPac:  The enemy TF near Amchitka vanished into thin air.

Mini KB and Wasp:  The Mini KB force seen two days ago near Kuching and a day ago at Jesselton is now a hex from Zamboanga (shame on Japan for allowing the Allies to still run patrols out of bases in these areas).  It is increasinly likely that this TF is bound for the Tarawa or Pago Pago regions.  I'll have to be careful not to let Wasp (or other valuable shipping) blunder into the path of a raid.  Wasp just arrived and is targeted to refuel at Christmas Island (well back from the front lines).  She may ultimately report for duty at PP or even in NoPac.

DEI:  B-17s from Palembang his the advanced enemy airfield at Kalidjati hard, then shifted base to Oosthaven.  Tomorrow, they'll hit the port facilities at Balikpan.  The Aussie TF carrying two fighter squadrons will arrive at Oosthaven tomorrow.

Bay of Bengal:  The Allied carriers are SSE of Sabang and should be south of Padang tomorrow.  So once again they are on patrol in the key theater.  The Allies took advantage of the lull in activity by upgrading or repairing many combat ships.  Perhaps 15 CL and DD plus BB Prince of Wales are coming back online at Colombo over the next few days.  The KB remains parked at Georgetown. 

Burma:  The enemy landed 33rd Div. at Pegu with other troops arriving in hex from Rangoon.  That's good - a big operation mounted to take a base that is essentially vacant.  The Allies troops are now in western Burma.

China: Still quiet as the Chinese evaluate the map and wait for the enemy to make the next wrong move (exposing a unit to attack piecemeal).

Summary:  As we've discussed, Japan still has a chance to isolate, concentrate and hammer Sumatra, though the ticking clock isn't Japan's friend.  If Japan is truly sending a Mini KB way off to CenPac or SoPac to deal with a comparatively unimportant threat there, and is going to commit divisions to action in Burma, and will mount a sizeable amphibious operation in NoPac (eventually), those do not seem like ingredients in the recipe for concentration.

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 1378
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 8/8/2011 4:12:17 PM   
ny59giants

How active has been his fighters lately?? I wonder like others, that he is resting them up (along with training) and if he was smart had invested in increasing Tojo R&D and should be getting them into production real soon. I got 180 into production in mid-June in my PBEM game.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1379
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 8/8/2011 5:25:28 PM   
Canoerebel

After taking heavy losses over Singapore, Palembang and Oosthaven early in 1942, Steve sat down his fighters.  They have been quiet ever since.  No doubt he is training in preparation for the ultimate push.

We are playing with PDU off, so that may affect how many squadrons he can upgrade to the Tojo.  I don't think we'll see the flood witnessed in games with PDU on.  However, I have a poor understanding of research and upgrades, so I could be wrong.

The Allies currently have 500 fighters in eastern Sumatra - well over half of these are American P-40E, P-39, Buffales, and Wildcats.  That will soon be augmented by a squadron of P-38E.  There are currently just three British Hurricane squadrons and a smattering of other nationalities - Dutch P-40E, Hurricanes, and inferior craft and a few Aussie and Kiwi fighters.  The Allies can augment this number by bringing in carrier fighters - roughly 150 American and 15 British.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 1380
Page:   <<   < prev  44 45 [46] 47 48   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Das darf nicht var sein! Page: <<   < prev  44 45 [46] 47 48   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI