Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Has anyone seen this? Hitler discussing tactics with Mannerheim

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Has anyone seen this? Hitler discussing tactics with Mannerheim Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Has anyone seen this? Hitler discussing tactics with M... - 8/9/2011 2:34:34 PM   
nedcorleone1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClR9tcpKZec&feature=player_embedded#at=130

Really cool to hear about some of the things they discuss about the USSR. It really sheds some light on how the German high command underestimated the strength of the Russians.

Some things to take note... Hitler talks about how:

-A two front war would have broken Germany
-Even if they knew of the real strength of the USSR, he would have invaded anyway because they had no choice
-The German armaments were 'good-weather' armaments which work very well in the West but it was 'impossible' to conduct a 'winter war'
-The German tanks were not tested for a winter war
-Hitler wanted to eliminate France in '39 but bad weather (rain) prevented him from doing so delaying him an extra year and thus delaying the Russian invasion
-The weakness of the Italians in North Africa and in the Grecian area hindered the German invasion as they had to split their air and tank forces

There is more but I'll leave the rest up to what is said in the video.

< Message edited by mr_flappypants -- 8/9/2011 2:44:13 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Has anyone seen this? Hitler discussing tactics wi... - 8/9/2011 2:43:20 PM   
Priapus1

wow, what a fascinating exchange. Thanks so much for sharing this!

(in reply to nedcorleone1)
Post #: 2
RE: Has anyone seen this? Hitler discussing tactics wi... - 8/9/2011 2:56:39 PM   
Captain

apparently, that recording was made without Hitler being aware of it. It is supposedly the only recording of him speaking in a normal voice and is often used by actors who play him to get a sense of his voice, notably, the actor who played Hitler in "Downfall".

It was recorded in june 1942 when Hitler visited Marshal Mannerheim for his 75th birthday:

quote:

During the visit, an engineer of the Finnish broadcasting company YLE, Thor Damen, succeeded in recording the first 11 minutes of Hitler's and Mannerheim's private conversation. This had to be done secretly, as Hitler never allowed others to record him off-guard. Damen was given the assignment to record the official birthday speeches and Mannerheim's responses and following those orders added microphones to certain railway cars. Unfortunately, Mannerheim and his guests chose to go to a car that didn't have a microphone in it. Damen acted quickly, pushing a microphone through one of the car windows to a netshelf just above were Hitler and Mannerheim were sitting. After 11 minutes of Hitler's and Mannerheim's private conversation, Hitler's SS bodyguards spotted the cords coming out of the window and realized that the Finnish engineer was recording the conversation. They gestured to him to stop recording immediately, and he complied. The SS bodyguards demanded that the tape be immediately destroyed, but YLE was allowed to keep the reel, after promising to keep it in a sealed container. It was given to the head of the state censors' office Kustaa Vilkuna and in 1957 returned to YLE. It was made available to the public a few years later. It is the only known recording of Hitler speaking in an unofficial tone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Gustaf_Emil_Mannerheim#Visit_by_Adolf_Hitler

(in reply to Priapus1)
Post #: 3
RE: Has anyone seen this? Hitler discussing tactics wi... - 8/9/2011 4:57:32 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Very interesting - thanks!

BTW, I was not aware of that recording...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to nedcorleone1)
Post #: 4
RE: Has anyone seen this? Hitler discussing tactics wi... - 8/11/2011 12:17:01 AM   
Pascal_slith

There is a tv documentary that goes into a number of these unofficial recordings of AH. There are a few existing from Berchtesgaden.

So much WitP and so little time to play.... :-(

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 5
RE: Has anyone seen this? Hitler discussing tactics wi... - 8/12/2011 3:40:45 AM   
Caltone

I had read somewhere that this tape existed but had never listened to it. Thanks for sharing the link, fascinating stuff.

"Order AP Hill to prepare for battle" -- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Pascal_slith)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Has anyone seen this? Hitler discussing tactics with Mannerheim Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI