Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Combat Command v1.02 Public Beta Now Available!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Combat Command Series >> Combat Command v1.02 Public Beta Now Available! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Combat Command v1.02 Public Beta Now Available! - 7/21/2011 6:15:28 PM   
Andrew Loveridge

Hello all,

We have a beta version of v1.02 for you to give a try. It is available in the Members Club. It addresses many, if not all, of the outstanding issues raised since release, as listed below.
Please check it over, and reply with any feedback you might have. Please remember this is a beta version, and in applying it the updater will no longer work properly, until the next official version.

V1.02 – July 18, 2011
    Changes

• Victory Screen: Added a line for the effect of the Reserve Points on the victory
      level (-1, -2, +1, +2) Also corrected coloring issues with the text background for
      summer and winter scenarios.
    • Editor: Added Ability to move a unit to a new hex, rather than deleting/recreating.
      Can now select "Move Units Mode" under Scenario Setup menu. Left click a hex
      to select and highlight a unit and then left click a hex to move the unit there.
      When a unit is selected, right click the mouse to cancel the move selection.
    • Added a Finished button at the end of the Assault Execution phase so that the last
      assault result can be read.
    • Text now appears black below names hexes in Winter scenarios.

Bug Fixes

• Disappearing Wadi, Jungle, and Salt Marshes bug fixed.
    • Can now toggle the unit display on/off with the U key
    • Game appearing to hang while AI is moving, is fixed. Windows messages (screen
      updates) and checked after each unit move (so there still might be a *slight* delay
      before the screen refreshes)
    • All hexes should now be properly available to withdraw through. The game has
      logic to prevent a unit from burning withdraw MPs by going back and forth
      between two hexes. This was preventing the unit from withdrawing to the last hex
      it moved from before the withdraw took place.
    • Bug fixed so that supply lines can no longer cross rivers except at roads/bridges.
      Less often, this bug could also cause other units NOT to be in supply when they
      should be.
    • Bug corrected so that enemy units will now block a friendly supply source.
    • Hot-key '6' now shows units with movement available, it wasn't working for Side
      B armies when playing both sides.
    • Corrected hot-key "1" that draws lines from any unit to it's supply source. And the
      screen centers at the top left corner. If there is nothing to center on, reports will no
      longer move to the top left corner.
    • Graphical Glitch with the OOB window and the In Command icon has been
      corrected. The icon is now drawn below like non-reinforcement units.
    • Issue with Unit dropping off map while withdrawing, causing the Game to stop
      has been corrected.
    • A subordinate can no longer use its leader as a supply source if the HQ is not in
      supply.
    • Tilde (~) opens the OOB dialog and now closes the dialog box as well. Note that
      the Cancel and Enter button also close all the extra dialogs.
    • Withdrawing Unit improperly being eliminated on map edge corrected.
    • Tebourba Gap Scenario now ends.
    • End of PBEM game now sends final turn to opponent.
    • When attaching units to a new leader, the regiment numbers now change on the
      unit.

Post #: 1
RE: Combat Command v1.02 Public Beta Now Available! - 7/22/2011 12:32:05 PM   
mgarnett

Well done guys, great work and much appreciated.

(in reply to Andrew Loveridge)
Post #: 2
RE: Combat Command v1.02 Public Beta Now Available! - 7/22/2011 2:47:03 PM   
PirateJock

Great and thanks

Have Beta testers had a go at the patch yet or are we the first? As they say ... something for the weekend Sir ... or does that only work for people in the UK?

Cheers

(in reply to mgarnett)
Post #: 3
RE: Combat Command v1.02 Public Beta Now Available! - 7/22/2011 3:18:50 PM   
junk2drive

You got it same as us. Weekend works for me.

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

(in reply to PirateJock)
Post #: 4
RE: Combat Command v1.02 Public Beta Now Available! - 7/28/2011 10:55:04 AM   
PirateJock

Have played a few games and had a play with the Editor. Overall most things are working fine and the improvements are very useful .., particularly like the U toggle and moving units on the Editor.

However, with ...

AI hanging bug
I haven't seen this bug in previous versions, i.e. game freezing when AI is *MOVING*, but what I have seen is game appearing to hang during the Direct Fire phase and then unhanging when that phase is complete. I know the game is running during the hang as direct fire results are shown in the combat info box. The game is still doing this in v1.02.

I wonder if definition of the bug was correct. Was the hang definitely in the Movement Phase? Looking at the reporting post it's not too clear.

Withdrawal bug
Withdrawal still does not appear to be working as intended. For example, severely disrupted units (Disruption 3 & 4) are not withdrawing from the frontline even when there are no enemy units to their rear and their flanks are covered by friendly units.

For example see post in thread

Editor - move unit improvement
Needs a way of seeing the unit you have selected for movement, possibly add text to status bar? I know when have stacked units you get option of which one to select but no idea on single units

Cheers

Edits: added further comments

< Message edited by PirateJock -- 8/1/2011 11:15:30 PM >

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 5
RE: Combat Command v1.02 Public Beta Now Available! - 8/6/2011 2:09:20 PM   
Fred98

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Loveridge

• Game appearing to hang while AI is moving, is fixed. Windows messages (screen updates) and checked after each unit move (so there still might be a *slight* delay before the screen refreshes)

• This issue is not corrected.

I see it in PBEM games and also in games v the AI.

-

(in reply to Andrew Loveridge)
    Post #: 6
    RE: Combat Command v1.02 Public Beta Now Available! - 8/9/2011 7:27:10 AM   
    Obsolete

quote:

Withdrawal still does not appear to be working as intended.

In theory this SHOULD be already fixed and available in the 1.03 binary, which SHOULD be available when Andrew compiles it.

So therefore, we will be posting in a NEW patch-thread and I hope to God this is the LAST time a withdraw issue ever pops up again!  Grrrrr.

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.

(in reply to Fred98)
    Post #: 7
    RE: Combat Command v1.02 Public Beta Now Available! - 8/9/2011 6:13:36 PM   
    MichaelCooney

As Obsolete mentioned, I put together a v1.03 build.  Here are the release notes:

Release 1.03
    -----------------------------------------
    1) Last Withdraw Unit not withdrawing
       Description:
           The last withdraw unit is being skipped during the withdraw phase.
       Resolution:
           This was a bug.  Code corrected.

2) Units not withdrawing when it seems they should
       Description:
           Withdraw is coded so that units can only move to hexes that are further from the one they're in.  This can stop a unit short in withdraw.
       Resolution:
           A unit can now withdraw through a hex that is the same distance from the enemy as the one the unit is in, if there isn't a better choice.  Only the hex furthest from the enemy as a whole is available to be withdrawn through in this case.

3) Editor Move Unit Enhancement:
       Unit name selected to be moved is now displayed in the status bar at the bottom.

You can see I'm not worrying about the screen refresh during AI/replay.  That issue should only occur if you tab away from the the game and then tab back, so I put my efforts into the most aggravating area.

Boku Strategy Games, Developer of Combat Command and Horse & Musket

(in reply to Obsolete)
    Post #: 8
    RE: Combat Command v1.02 Public Beta Now Available! - 8/9/2011 6:31:01 PM   
    PirateJock

Superb - thanks Michael Hopefully this will nail the withdraw issue! And nice to see you included the unit name in the status bar enhancement

Any ideas when we'll be able to get hold of v1.03?

Cheers

(in reply to MichaelCooney)
    Post #: 9
    RE: Combat Command v1.02 Public Beta Now Available! - 8/11/2011 12:14:33 AM   
    Fred98

quote:

ORIGINAL: MichaelCooney

You can see I'm not worrying about the screen refresh during AI/replay.

That issue should only occur if you tab away from the the game and then tab back, so I put my efforts into the most aggravating area.

I dont tab away and tab back. The issue happens all the time.

In a PBEM game an opponent made a commment. But I am unable to watch out for the point, because the screen freezes.

WIN 7
    Home Premium
    64 bit
    -
    -

Post #: 10
    RE: Combat Command v1.02 Public Beta Now Available! - 8/11/2011 9:19:32 AM   
    PirateJock

Hi Joe

Does the screen freeze for the whole turn or does it only happen in the direct fire phase? For me it only happens in the direct fire phase and only sometimes.

Cheers

(in reply to Fred98)
    Post #: 11
    RE: Combat Command v1.02 Public Beta Now Available! - 8/11/2011 7:37:05 PM   
    MichaelCooney

I guess I should ask what your definition of "screen freeze" is since I was assuming you got a white screen that didn't refresh/redraw.  Being a Windows GDI app, the game maintains a (very large, at times) bitmap of the entire battlefield in memory, updating it and copying those parts to the screen as it changes.  This is in (vast, vast) contrast to how games are typically done, redrawing what you see 30+ times a second.  So when the AI is thinking or units are moving or firing "behind the scenes" (due to line of sight or fog of war) you won't see the screen update or move - even though you might be hearing something.  It's not frozen, there's just nothing new for you to see (user controls are disabled during these times as well.)

Could this account for your frozen screen?  If not, how would you describe it?

Boku Strategy Games, Developer of Combat Command and Horse & Musket

(in reply to PirateJock)
    Post #: 12
    RE: Combat Command v1.02 Public Beta Now Available! - 8/12/2011 12:27:24 AM   
    Fred98

It looks looks this:

I am running v 1.02 but the screen is the same

And yes it commences during the direct fire phase of my opponents turn and continues till my opponents turn is complete.

-

-

< Message edited by Joe 98 -- 8/12/2011 12:28:40 AM >

Post #: 13
    RE: Combat Command v1.02 Public Beta Now Available! - 10/23/2011 11:47:59 AM   
    Fred98

quote:

ORIGINAL: MichaelCooney

Posted: 12 August 2011

Happy Birthday Michael Cooney!

-

Post #: 14
    Page:   [1]
    All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Combat Command Series >> Combat Command v1.02 Public Beta Now Available! Page: [1]
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI