Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Crushing the Soviet Hydra:- Sveint (Sov) vs Empire101 (Axis)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Crushing the Soviet Hydra:- Sveint (Sov) vs Empire101 (Axis) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Crushing the Soviet Hydra:- Sveint (Sov) vs Empire1... - 7/26/2011 11:40:26 AM   
Empire101

I've been too slow

Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Manstein63)
Post #: 31
RE: Crushing the Soviet Hydra:- Sveint (Sov) vs Empire1... - 7/26/2011 11:50:16 AM   
Empire101

Army Group North

Situation Report:-

Leningrad has fallen!!. Now vital assets are being diverted to AGC, but my time is nearly up. Bad weather will be here in a couple of turns.

Attachment (1)

but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 32
RE: Crushing the Soviet Hydra:- Sveint (Sov) vs Empire1... - 7/26/2011 11:55:12 AM   
Empire101

Army Group Centre:

AGC have hit a brick wall, and cannot make much headway. My inability to encircle early on as the Soviets just kept falling back is now so serious that that even with the fall of Leningrad, my morale is low. I have'nt even hit 2million casualties yet, so I think I'm doomed.

Attachment (1)

- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 33
RE: Crushing the Soviet Hydra:- Sveint (Sov) vs Empire1... - 7/26/2011 11:57:04 AM   
Empire101

AGC part II, again slow progress against massive Soviet fortifications.

Attachment (1)

- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 34
RE: Crushing the Soviet Hydra:- Sveint (Sov) vs Empire1... - 7/26/2011 12:05:29 PM   
Empire101

Army Group South

This is where I'm doing depressingly worst, and I am now regretting naming this AAR 'Crushing the Soviet Hydra', as the reverse is true.
Soviet defences are so massive that it burns all my mps very quickly, so no encirclements.
My opponent has played extremely well in timing his fallbacks while always planning lines of defence well in advance.....
I don't know what to do as the bad weather is close and I have performed so poorly that I'm close to awarding my opponent total victory and leaving the stage with my tail between my legs.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Empire101 -- 7/26/2011 12:06:36 PM >

- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 35
RE: Crushing the Soviet Hydra:- Sveint (Sov) vs Empire1... - 7/26/2011 12:09:01 PM   
Empire101

The only light for AGS ( and a very low light I might add ), is they across the Kerch straits

Attachment (1)

- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 36
RE: Crushing the Soviet Hydra:- Sveint (Sov) vs Empire1... - 7/26/2011 12:11:39 PM   
Empire101

The most depressing screen of all, with only large encirclements at the start, I have miserably failed to inflict enough casualties on the Red Army.

Attachment (1)

- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 37
RE: Crushing the Soviet Hydra:- Sveint (Sov) vs Empire1... - 7/26/2011 1:53:26 PM   
Klydon

Welcome to September when massive numbers of Russians show up and forts sprout like weeds all over the front. It is a big issue with the game right now imo.

Also, please turn on fort levels when you do screen shots so we can see who is dug in where, etc.

I don't claim to be an "expert" anything on this game, but a few observations from what I have also learned, etc.

First, I think you are correct in your assessment that your advance was slower than it should/could have been. Congrats; this is what newer Axis players generally do. It takes experience and work to learn what to do when, etc for good results. I have no doubt your next campaign will be better from the lessons learned in this one.

Second; I would urge you to hang in there. One of the most important lessons for the Axis is the first winter. While prep work and plans are helpful, there is nothing like going through it first hand and learn what happens. Should you resign now, you will not get that experience and will have to face it in a future game.

Third: While you have not caused a lot of Russian casualties, you have not taken much for casualties either. The winter can change that, depending on what your opponent does and how well you make it through the winter.

As far as winter itself goes, there are several other AAR's to look at for tips on what the Axis may do along with War Room threads. For this particular situation, some suggestions I would have would be to pull a "Pelton" and start digging for winter. You will want multiple lines of level 3-4 forts and fort digging doesn't work as well in bad weather. You want your lines as straight as possible, etc. The other thing is to identify some elite moral level (86+ moral) units to withdraw and winter in Germany. This should include mostly panzer/motorized units (those that are not withdrawn are preferable over those that get withdrawn), but having some infantry units there as well is helpful too. I would also look to withdraw your two German mountain divisions to refit up to full strength and then add in 3 support units to each. Pioneer and/or Stugs work the best. These will be the only two German units not blasted by the blizzard effects and can actually be beasts during the winter to help counter attack Russian spearheads. The Rumanian mountain brigades and Hungarian mountain brigade should be pulled, put on refit and rested as well. While they can't have support units attached to them, they are more than a speed bump to deal with since they are not affected by the blizzard either.

Hang in there and welcome to the school of hard knocks on the Eastern Front. The advance course (blizzard) is just around the corner.

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 38
RE: Crushing the Soviet Hydra:- Sveint (Sov) vs Empire1... - 7/26/2011 3:04:30 PM   
Reedster

Thanks for the pointers Klydon, good stuff.

I will soon face my first PBEM blizzard too, and blizzard advice is something you can't get enough of.

Quick question, would you recommend changing TOEs during this time? For example, support units and airbases get 50%, while panzers/mot and infantry stay at 100%?

< Message edited by Reedster -- 7/26/2011 3:07:28 PM >

'Well, Comrade Boldin, this is the third time you've gotten yourself encircled by the Germans. Don't you think that's a bit much?' - Zhukov, late 1941

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 39
RE: Crushing the Soviet Hydra:- Sveint (Sov) vs Empire1... - 7/26/2011 4:59:58 PM   
Klydon

Some like changing ToE values. I don't to be honest.

Part of the issue is "refit" doesn't really work that hot in Russia during mud and blizzard. If you want a unit brought up to strength, then I would send it back to Germany, put it on refit and let it rest a turn. Rail cap limits this a lot. Even panzer units sitting in cities don't really get much benefit except from rest in terms of getting replacements, etc.

For winter, I probably do something that many would decry as "gamey" but I set all HQ units to 0 support and funnel support units back to OKH in Germany. They suffer blizzard and moral attrition like anything else in the open blizzard and there isn't enough room in towns/cities for combat units, let alone HQ units, so this is a way I try to reduce the amount of overall attrition, especially since many support units are armaments rich units that include artillery, etc.

(in reply to Reedster)
Post #: 40
RE: Crushing the Soviet Hydra:- Sveint (Sov) vs Empire1... - 7/27/2011 9:39:31 AM   
Peltonx

How many arm pts and hvy pts have you destoryed? Personally I shot for 3 million dead Reds by turn 30. Its more important long term how many production pts you take out then how many Russians you kill.

You should have a blizzard line goal set before you start turn 1 of any game. At some point around turn 15 you should start digging in along areas of the front that have become inactive and by turn 18 you should be digging in along 100% of the front. Now you can still conduct operations beyond those lines, but with draw back behind them.

Pelton

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 41
RE: Crushing the Soviet Hydra:- Sveint (Sov) vs Empire1... - 7/29/2011 2:17:16 AM   
Empire101

quote:

ORIGINAL: Klydon

Welcome to September when massive numbers of Russians show up and forts sprout like weeds all over the front. It is a big issue with the game right now imo.

Also, please turn on fort levels when you do screen shots so we can see who is dug in where, etc.

I don't claim to be an "expert" anything on this game, but a few observations from what I have also learned, etc.

First, I think you are correct in your assessment that your advance was slower than it should/could have been. Congrats; this is what newer Axis players generally do. It takes experience and work to learn what to do when, etc for good results. I have no doubt your next campaign will be better from the lessons learned in this one.

Second; I would urge you to hang in there. One of the most important lessons for the Axis is the first winter. While prep work and plans are helpful, there is nothing like going through it first hand and learn what happens. Should you resign now, you will not get that experience and will have to face it in a future game.

Third: While you have not caused a lot of Russian casualties, you have not taken much for casualties either. The winter can change that, depending on what your opponent does and how well you make it through the winter.

As far as winter itself goes, there are several other AAR's to look at for tips on what the Axis may do along with War Room threads. For this particular situation, some suggestions I would have would be to pull a "Pelton" and start digging for winter. You will want multiple lines of level 3-4 forts and fort digging doesn't work as well in bad weather. You want your lines as straight as possible, etc. The other thing is to identify some elite moral level (86+ moral) units to withdraw and winter in Germany. This should include mostly panzer/motorized units (those that are not withdrawn are preferable over those that get withdrawn), but having some infantry units there as well is helpful too. I would also look to withdraw your two German mountain divisions to refit up to full strength and then add in 3 support units to each. Pioneer and/or Stugs work the best. These will be the only two German units not blasted by the blizzard effects and can actually be beasts during the winter to help counter attack Russian spearheads. The Rumanian mountain brigades and Hungarian mountain brigade should be pulled, put on refit and rested as well. While they can't have support units attached to them, they are more than a speed bump to deal with since they are not affected by the blizzard either.

Hang in there and welcome to the school of hard knocks on the Eastern Front. The advance course (blizzard) is just around the corner.

Thanks for the encouraging note... I needed to dig deep to find my hidden Soviet/Nazi persona, and carry on regardless of losses, casualties, daft plans, rug chewing, etc!!

Will be posting updated AAR tomorrow!!

- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 42
RE: Crushing the Soviet Hydra:- Sveint (Sov) vs Empire1... - 7/29/2011 2:34:48 PM   
Empire101

Army Group North.

XXVI Korps is moving into Karelia to support the Finns. The rail network has not been repaired much and only now after the fall of Leningrad can I utilize a FBD to repair the rail lines round to Karelia. AGN finally links up with Finns near Volkov.

Barbarossa has failed, and the German Army begins to dig in for the winter. In OKH's view it is futile to carry on advancing with the bad weather coming, so preparations are trying to be made to offset the worst of the winter effects.

Attachment (1)

- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 43
RE: Crushing the Soviet Hydra:- Sveint (Sov) vs Empire1... - 7/29/2011 2:39:50 PM   
Empire101

Army Group Centre.

Bryansk falls at last, but elsewhwere, as in the north, preparations are being made to dig in.

Attachment (1)

- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 44
RE: Crushing the Soviet Hydra:- Sveint (Sov) vs Empire1... - 7/29/2011 2:44:09 PM   
Empire101

Army Group South.

Again mostly tidying up, but a final push is under way to secure Zaporozhye ( I think I've spelt it right )

Attachment (1)

- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 45
RE: Crushing the Soviet Hydra:- Sveint (Sov) vs Empire1... - 7/29/2011 2:46:27 PM   
Empire101

Army Group South ( pt 2 ).

XIV Panzer Korps and LI Korps push Soviets back to Tamryuk, and start digging in.

Attachment (1)

- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 46
RE: Crushing the Soviet Hydra:- Sveint (Sov) vs Empire1... - 7/30/2011 6:05:59 PM   
Empire101

Well all quiet on the Eastern Front, turn 18 has arrived and General Mud is in command,....everyone is digging in like mad, and waiting for the Blizzard.

Some preparations have been made to offset the worst of the winter. ( I hope ).

One good piece of news... Zaporozhye falls without a fight

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Empire101 -- 7/30/2011 6:06:35 PM >

- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 47
RE: Crushing the Soviet Hydra:- Sveint (Sov) vs Empire1... - 7/30/2011 6:16:46 PM   
Klydon

My 2 cents, but I think I would consider looking at your Crimean defenses. The Russians have a lot of places to launch invasions that would cut a lot of your troops off, especially those east of Kerch. That and a push from the east would result in a lot of surrendered units.

I would recommend a more defensive posture and send your panzer units to go relax someplace warm.

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 48
RE: Crushing the Soviet Hydra:- Sveint (Sov) vs Empire1... - 7/30/2011 7:24:46 PM   
Empire101

You are right...I never really think of amphibous invasions in WitE.... but a devious opponent might just use it against those vunerable ports.

But do you not think I should hold onto the land east of the Kerch Straits...it would mean alot of blood to be spilt in the summer of 42 to regain it.?

< Message edited by Empire101 -- 7/30/2011 7:26:18 PM >

- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 49
RE: Crushing the Soviet Hydra:- Sveint (Sov) vs Empire1... - 8/6/2011 6:53:07 PM   
Empire101

Been a bit quiet on the Eastern front. Have'nt posted any reports or pics as only the odd bombing mission against industry is going on while everyone still frantically digs in. My opponent has been suspiciously quiet, and air recon indicates a build up outside Moscow, and Zaporozhye. Looks like its my last turn of 'snow' and the blizzard will start next turn.

Will keep you posted.

- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 50
RE: Crushing the Soviet Hydra:- Sveint (Sov) vs Empire1... - 8/7/2011 4:37:07 PM   
Empire101

Well here we are in Blizzard, and the Soviets are attacking across the entire front, and have pushed back a few units...some advance Soviet elements have moved into these gaps but almost all were successfully counterattacked and pushed back....but I've lost those forts, so I have'nt re occupied them.

The only really dangerous move was way down south, but more on that later!!

AGN Situation report:- Very quiet, although a Static Div got pounded that I had missed in the line up

Attachment (1)

- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 51
RE: Crushing the Soviet Hydra:- Sveint (Sov) vs Empire1... - 8/7/2011 4:38:57 PM   
Empire101

Army Group Centre.

Situation Report:- A few attacks, but nothing to worry about so far.

Attachment (1)

- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 52
RE: Crushing the Soviet Hydra:- Sveint (Sov) vs Empire1... - 8/7/2011 4:39:56 PM   
Empire101

And the rest of AGC!!

Attachment (1)

- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 53
RE: Crushing the Soviet Hydra:- Sveint (Sov) vs Empire1... - 8/7/2011 4:41:29 PM   
Empire101

Army Group South.

Again a few attacks, but most successfully rebuffed

Attachment (1)

- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 54
RE: Crushing the Soviet Hydra:- Sveint (Sov) vs Empire1... - 8/7/2011 4:44:55 PM   
Empire101

This is the dangerous one. I had forgotten to post a unit across the strait, so a Soviet unit has walked straight across

Have had to recall a Panzer Korps back from Germany to ensure nothing too serious develops

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Empire101 -- 8/7/2011 4:46:03 PM >

- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 55
RE: Crushing the Soviet Hydra:- Sveint (Sov) vs Empire1... - 8/15/2011 11:53:22 AM   
Empire101

Well here we are at turn 30, and to be honest, its not as bad as I envisaged. AGN and AGC have held their ground mostly, although a nasty breakthrough near the Crimea is upsetting AGS's summer plans.

AGN

Situation Report:- All pretty quiet, front seems to be stable, but no real threat seems to be developing.
Luftflotte 4 has picked up no real Soviet troop concentrations when flying PR.
AGN's 4th Panzer Armee is going to AGS, as troops are sorely needed to cut off the Soviets when the good weather comes.

Attachment (1)

- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 56
RE: Crushing the Soviet Hydra:- Sveint (Sov) vs Empire1... - 8/15/2011 11:55:42 AM   
Empire101

AGC (pt1) Turn 30

Again, fairly quiet, Soviets pushing but no real problems as yet.
I think I shall have to withdraw from Rzhev next turn though.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Empire101 -- 8/15/2011 11:57:08 AM >

- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 57
RE: Crushing the Soviet Hydra:- Sveint (Sov) vs Empire1... - 8/15/2011 11:59:36 AM   
Empire101

AGC (pt2) Turn 30

Do not think I will be able to hold Bryansk for much longer.

Attachment (1)

- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 58
RE: Crushing the Soviet Hydra:- Sveint (Sov) vs Empire1... - 8/15/2011 12:02:06 PM   
Empire101

AGS (pt1) Turn30

One or two localised withdrawals will be in order next turn, but not too much to worry about.

Attachment (1)

- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 59
RE: Crushing the Soviet Hydra:- Sveint (Sov) vs Empire1... - 8/15/2011 12:06:05 PM   
Empire101

AGS (pt2) Turn30

Situation Report:

This area has been where the Soviets have concentrated their winter counteroffensive.
I have'nt the troops to cover the entire area, so have opened up an inviting hole that I hope the Soviets will start filling.

Only 3 more turns of blizzard left, most of my troops are in good shape, and then I'm hoping I will be able to turn them back.

Attachment (1)

- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Crushing the Soviet Hydra:- Sveint (Sov) vs Empire101 (Axis) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI