Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: February 25, 1942

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: February 25, 1942 Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: February 25, 1942 - 7/7/2011 9:33:00 PM   
Cuttlefish

February 26, 1942

Aboard USS Gridley

Course: None
Attached to: Disbanded in port
Mission: None
Ship's Status: Sys damage 9
Fuel: 525 (100%)

“Now this,” Reedy said in satisfaction, “is a gun!” He was looking in admiration at the 20mm Oerlikon, still shiny and new, that had replaced his old .50 caliber machine gun. It was bolted to the deck in a tub installed just abaft of the stack on the starboard side. He stepped into the gunner’s position and, fitting his shoulders into the curved, padded braces, peered through the optical sight mounted on the 8-foot barrel.

Gus Becken grabbed a rag and mopped a trace of cosmoline off the gun mount.

“I hear the magazines weigh 60 pounds,” he commented.

“It’ll be good for you,” said Reedy with a grin. “You’re starting to look a little scrawny anyway. Pack on some muscle to go with those soulful brown eyes and the ladies won’t be able to resist you.”

“I do all right,” protested Becken. “Anyway, I do better than you.”

“I’m not looking,” said Reedy. “I’ve got a girl back home, remember?”

“Ah yes,” said Becken. “The famous Cathy, she of the hot cross buns. Has it occurred to you that Cathy is thousands of miles away and that what she doesn’t know won’t hurt you?”

Reedy didn’t reply. In truth that thought had occurred to him, though so far he had resisted temptation. He changed the subject by gesturing to the cable and pulley system attached to the gun.

“Sucker has to be cocked before it can fire,” he said. Becken squinted at it, and at the heavy recoil spring

“That’s a two-man job,” he said. Reedy nodded.

“We’re going to need at least one more man,” he said, “maybe two. And a lot of practice with everything. I bet as soon as we…” He was interrupted by the arrival of Greg Belchik, a member of the crew of one of the five inch guns. Belchik regarded the new gun.

“Very nice,” he said. “For a toy.” White teeth showed through his neatly trimmed black beard.

“You’ll appreciate this toy when those Jap planes come calling,” said Reedy. Belchik gave an acknowledging nod.

“Could be,” he said. “Hey, I just heard. The British have called for a cease-fire at Singapore. They’re going to surrender.”

“Damn,” said Reedy with feeling. “You sure?”

“Yep,” said Belchik. “So much for the impregnable fortress, huh?” He shook his head and strolled along.

“Well, that’s a real unpleasant surprise,” said Becken after he had gone.

“Yeah,” said Reedy. “Just imagine how the Brits feel.”

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 211
A Note - 7/19/2011 10:17:42 PM   
Cuttlefish

I apologize for the lack of updates lately. I have been unusually busy lately. But things are getting back to normal and I should be able to resume (almost) daily updates again.

CF

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 212
RE: February 27, 1942 - 7/19/2011 10:27:32 PM   
Cuttlefish

February 27, 1942

Aboard USS Gridley

Ship's Status: Sys damage 9

Installing the radars aboard Gridley was the easy part. More difficult was deciding where to put the CIC that would be needed to get the best use out of them and the information they provided.

Captain Stickney wanted the displays to be available but after talking with the technicians he and the ship’s other officers agreed that there was no practical way to put them on the bridge. It was already too crowded, too exposed to the elements, and too bright. They decided to turn the charthouse, one level below the bridge, into the CIC.

To this end the large, heavy chart table was unbolted from the corner where it sat and moved far enough out into the room to allow access from all sides. Into the top of the table was set a translucent screen, with a projector beneath that would show Gridley at the center of the display with the radar image continuously updated around it. At one end was set the circular SC radar display.

Gridley had no general phone system but the charthouse was connected to the bridge by voice tube. This would be used in preference to the sound-powered phone system, as using talkers would introduce too many delays in communication and none of the officers involved would have a hand free for a phone handset.

Two status boards, which would be used to keep track of station assignments, ship’s code-names, and other vital information, were mounted on the forward bulkhead. There would be just enough light to read them by.

It would require training and practice to get the most out of the new equipment. Old officers assumed new duties and some of the new officers aboard joined them as part of the CIC team. Gridley’s men were extremely pleased with the system from the first day it was operational. It now seemed to them that they had been sailing with one eye shut, so much better was their view of the world around them now.

Neither the ship nor most of the crew was ready to leave Pearl yet and head back into the war. But with the new equipment and a bit of rest already the prospect seemed a little less daunting.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 213
RE: February 28, 1942 - 7/21/2011 1:28:19 AM   
Cuttlefish

February 28, 1942

Aboard USS Gridley

Ship's Status: Sys damage 8

The place was called The Sugar Bowl, and it was packed with sailors. The band was good, the women were pretty, and the beer was cold. There were three tables filled with Gridley men, and none of them could ask for anything more.

Bill Bonderman, Jake Reedy, and Rudy Bronkhorst sat at one table. They were watching Gus Becken, who was out on the dance floor with a woman he had just met. The band was playing Artie Shaw’s “Summit Ridge Drive” and Becken and the young lady were putting on a pretty good show. Becken was good and his partner was laughing as he spun her through the moves. Reedy tapped his feet to the rhythm as they watched.

“Wish I could dance,” said Bronkhorst. Reedy nodded.

“Show a woman a good time on the dance floor,” he agreed, “and the next thing you know she’s making you breakfast.”

“Ask Becken,” suggested Bonderman. “Bet he’d teach you.”

“That’s a good idea, Texas,” said Reedy with enthusiasm. “In fact, we could talk to Steubens about dance classes aboard ship. Becken’s really good, and I know that one of the C and S guys is really good too.”

“Hell, I couldn’t do that,” Bronkhorst said. “Tanner and them guys would laugh at me.” Reedy drank some beer and set down the bottle.

“You’d get the last laugh when you showed up with some beauty on your arm,” he said. Further conversation was forestalled by a commotion behind them.

Reedy turned his head and saw a woman trying to rise from a chair next to a large, ruddy-faced sailor with a shock of blond hair. The sailor had a hand on her arm and was trying to keep her from leaving. The woman was trying without success to peel his hand from her arm.

“Let go of me!” she demanded. She was short and, Reedy thought, quite pretty. She had a snub nose and a scattering of freckles and a neat bob of auburn hair. She might have almost seemed to be a mere girl if it weren’t for her decidedly grown-up curves. She was wearing a blue blouse and skirt.

“Aw, June, we were just getting acquainted,” complained the sailor. His hand remained clamped on her arm.

“My name is Joan!” snapped the woman, and sank the red-polished nails of her left hand into the restraining wrist. The sailor yowled and drew back his free hand.

Reedy didn’t see Bonderman move. One moment the tall Texan was sitting down, the next he was standing there holding the big sailor’s upraised left arm in his right hand. The sailor glared and tried to free his arm, but he might as well have been trying to yank it out of a vise. The woman took advantage of his distraction to pull her hand away. She rubbed her reddened wrist where she had been held.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?” snarled the blond sailor at Bonderman.

“My Daddy,” said Bonderman in his slow drawl, “always told me that it’s a cowardly thing to strike a woman. Now, I know none of you boys are cowards.” His grip remained implacable upon the sailor’s arm. “What ship are you boys all from?”

“Pyro,” said one of the men sitting across the table. He and his friends had pushed back their chairs.

“Pyro!” said Bonderman. He suddenly released the sailor’s arm and, hitching a foot around the leg of his own abandoned chair, drew it to him. He turned it around and sat, right between Joan and her would-be assailant.

“Why, it takes guts to crew one of those ammunition ships, sure enough,” he said. “Am I right?” The Pyro men looked and each other. There were a few nods and assents. “I never did figure you all got enough credit,” Bonderman continued. “Tough, dangerous work and few enough thanks. Well, I’m here to thank all of you and buy you a round, if you’re willin’.”

“Well…sure,” said one of the sailors. Reedy blinked at how quickly the attitude at the other table had changed. He had been poised to jump up but now leaned back and motioned to the others to do the same.

Bonderman signaled a waitress and ordered the drinks. He got the men talking about their work, listening mostly, asking a few questions and making a few comments. Becken and the lady they were dancing with came over and sat downnext to Reedy. Speaking in a low voice, Reedy filled Becken in.

“Well, said Bonderman finally. “I figure I’ve taken up enough of your time. You fellows keep up the good work, you hear?” Several of the men protested at his departure, but Bonderman raised a hand. “Duty calls,” he said, and stood up. He extended a hand to the woman beside him. “It’s been a pleasure, Miss,” he said as he helped her rise. “May I see you out?” The woman stared at him for a moment, then shook her head.

“No thanks,” she said. “I think I’ve had my fill of sailors for the day.” She picked up her handbag and walked out. Bonderman watched her go, then returned to his shipmates.

“Thought for a moment we were going to have a brawl,” Reedy said.

“A soft answer turneth away wrath,” Bonderman murmured, “but a grievous word stirreth up anger.”

“Aw, we could have taken them,” Bronkhorst said. Bonderman didn’t say anything, but Reedy saw his gaze stray back to the door through which the woman had disappeared.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 214
RE:March 1, 1942 - 7/22/2011 3:32:14 AM   
Cuttlefish

March 1, 1942

Aboard USS Gridley

Ship's Status: Sys damage 7

“The shells come up here,” Starkweather said, indicating the passing scuttle in the shelter built into the aft end of the deckhouse. “Your job is going to be to grab them, carry them over here and hand them off to the fuse setter, then go back for another shell.” He and Joe Beaumont were standing just forward of turret 54. Around them the ship rattled to the sound of pneumatic hammers and other equipment.

“Where do the shells come from?” asked Beaumont.

“We get ours from the lower handling rooms,” said Starkweather. “It’s nice and quiet down there, and well lighted. Lots of guys volunteer for that duty.” He grinned at Joe. “None of that peace and quiet for you and me.” He gestured at the passing scuttle.

“What I want you to do may sound easy,” said Starkweather, his grin now gone. “It isn’t. The shells weigh 54 pounds. You can lift that, sure, but we average twenty shells a minute in loading drills. You have to be more than just strong to keep up, you have to be quick and you have to be tough.”

“I can do it, Mr. Starkweather,” said Beaumont.

“Wait, it gets better,” said the gun captain. “The powder man is following the same path you are, carrying the cartridges to that rack, there. At night you’ll be doing it in the dark, on a pitching deck – and this one will probably be wet. You’ll be blinded and deafened by the firing of the gun. It isn’t pitching bales of hay back home.” Joe looked at him curiously.

“How did you know about the hay?” he asked. Starkweather’s piratical grin returned.

“Lucky guess,” he said. “So there you have it, Joe. I want us to be the best damned gun crew on this ship. You help me get there and you’ll earn your rating.

“I’ll help you, Mr. Starkweather,” Beaumont said with quiet confidence.

“We’ll see,” Starkweather said. “We’ll start tomorrow morning, after muster, at the practice loading machine. It’s amidships, just above the machine shop.”

After Beaumont had departed Dan Rucker came over.

“Seems like a good kid,” he said. Starkweather nodded.

“Yeah,” he said, “it’s hard not to like him. Pass the word. No one takes it easy on him tomorrow. I want to push him, push him hard right from the start.”

“You got it, Harry,” Rucker said.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 215
RE: RE:March 1, 1942 - 7/23/2011 10:58:05 PM   
House Stark

Fun AAR as always. Felt I couldn't let a Cuttlefish AAR get so far down the page. A month ago or so I noticed this AAR, and wasn't too terribly interested by the style, but I noticed a bunch of people were raving about a previous AAR following some ship called Hibiki. The first time I saw that AAR I decided I wasn't reading 200 pages. The second time I tried the AAR I read the whole thing in a week, and then went back to this one. Now I guess I'm a Cuttlefish AAR fan, and noticing the Hibiki and Gridley in my games.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 216
RE: RE:March 1, 1942 - 7/24/2011 11:35:14 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: House Stark

Fun AAR as always. Felt I couldn't let a Cuttlefish AAR get so far down the page. A month ago or so I noticed this AAR, and wasn't too terribly interested by the style, but I noticed a bunch of people were raving about a previous AAR following some ship called Hibiki. The first time I saw that AAR I decided I wasn't reading 200 pages. The second time I tried the AAR I read the whole thing in a week, and then went back to this one. Now I guess I'm a Cuttlefish AAR fan, and noticing the Hibiki and Gridley in my games.

Welcome aboard, and thanks for the post!

(in reply to House Stark)
Post #: 217
RE: RE: March 2, 1942 - 7/24/2011 11:37:37 PM   
Cuttlefish

March 2, 1942

Aboard USS Gridley

Ship's Status: Sys damage 6

Night lay over Pearl Harbor. There were few lights showing. Nothing really seemed to be beyond the capabilities of the Japanese at the moment, so blackout restrictions remained in effect to guard against the possibility of another attack. The moon was full though, bathing the huge naval facility in pale light. A gentle breeze wafted down from the island heights, bringing scents of sugar cane and tropical flowers to mingle with the more familiar smells of oil, creosote, and harbor mud.

Jake Reedy, who had come out on deck for some fresh air before turning in, thought it was a fine night. He strolled forward along the starboard rail, looking out over the ghostly forest of masts sprouting from the waters of the South Loch. Ahead another man stood leaning against the rail, head down. There easily enough light for Reedy to see that it was one of the new recruits. Reedy didn’t know the guy’s name yet but he was a big man.

Another man emerged from the shadows forward and approached the new guy. Reedy recognized Al Tanner and pulled back into the shadows by the aft deckhouse. He did not like Tanner. He peered beyond Tanner and, sure enough, saw Tanner’s usual shadows, Ranker and Vick, lurking further forward. Tanner was a weasel of a man, Reedy knew, small and mean, but he liked to surround himself with larger, tougher men, easily manipulated fellows who he kept close with flattery and favors. Rudy Bronkhorst had been part of that crowd but was rarely seen with them anymore since striking for Radioman.

“Hey there, kid,” Reedy heard Tanner say. “You look bushed. Tough day?” The big recruit raised his head.

“Yeah,” he said. His voice was deep and slow. “I lifted about five hundred shells today, I bet.” He pronounced “about” as “aboot.”

“”Sounds tough,” said Tanner sympathetically. “Big guy like you, though, you bet they’ll work you like a draft horse. By the way, I’m Al Tanner.” He extended his hand and the recruit shook it.

“I’m Joe Beaumont,” said the recruit.

“Look, kid,” said Tanner. “I hate to see a nice guy like you get a raw deal. Those gunners are a heartless bunch. Now, over in the deck force we take care of our own. If you were with us I could see you got some breaks. If you wanted I could pull a few strings, get you out of that crew and in with me.” Beaumont stood silently for a moment. Reedy couldn’t see his face well enough in the moonlight to be able to tell his expression.

“Well, what do you say?” Tanner said after a moment. “There’s no point in killing yourself, is there? If you want to catch any slack in this man’s Navy you’ve got to look out for yourself, and that’s a fact.” Beaumont was silent a moment longer.

“Well, I want to thank you,” Beaumont finally said. “But I signed on to do a job and I figure Mr. Starkweather, well, he needs me. And I don’t mind hard work. I’m used to it.” He spoke quietly but firmly. Tanner shrugged.

“Suit yourself,” he said. “But if you change your mind, look me up. It pays to have friends on this ship, you’ll see.”

“Thank you,” Beaumont said. “I do appreciate your kindness. You have a good night, now.”

“You too, hayseed,” said Tanner dismissively. He picked up his two shadows and went below.

Good for you, Beaumont, Reedy thought to himself. He faded back the other way. After a last look at the full moon he too headed below.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 218
RE: RE: March 3, 1942 - 7/25/2011 11:10:22 PM   
Cuttlefish

March 3, 1942

Aboard USS Gridley

Ship's Status: Sys damage 6

While Gridley and her crew rested the war continued outside the confines of Pearl Harbor. From the news that reached the destroyer’s men, it was not going well.

In the Pacific the Japanese were staying mostly quiet, though they were consolidating their hold upon the Gilberts, the Solomons, and New Guinea. But in the Dutch East Indies the Dutch were bracing for the blows that were certain to fall up Java and Sumatra now that Singapore had capitulated. British forces were in full retreat in Burma. The Japanese had already driven as far as Mandalay against almost no opposition as their foes sought to escape across the frontier into India. Japanese paratroops had captured Akyab in a daring raid and so far the Japanese had held against efforts to retake it by poorly led and poorly equipped Indian troops.

In China Japanese forces had inflicted a major defeat upon the Chinese in the north and were preparing to lay siege to the key city of Sian. Reports told of Chinese troops massing to make an attack in the south in an effort to relieve pressure on Sian but few thought they stood much chance against the invincible Japanese.

The forces of the United States were quiet. There were four carriers in Pearl Harbor. One of them, Saratoga, was undergoing refit. A fifth carrier, Hornet, was en route from the Atlantic. Several of the battleships damaged in the attacks three months ago had been patched up enough to make the journey to the mainland for repairs, though none of them were expected back in the war for at least six months. Efforts were underway to refloat West Virginia.

Steps were being taken to build up bases in the South Pacific, and places like Pago Pago and Vava’u were becoming well known to sailors as convoys called there carrying troops and equipment. In the north the Japanese had tightened their grip on the western Aleutians and there was fear back home that an invasion of Alaska was imminent. Dutch Harbor was fast becoming the major forward American bastion of the Aleutians, though there were still too few troops there to resist a determined attack.

So far the recapture of Canton Island remained the lone bright spot of the war for the Americans. Amid fear and speculation about Japan’s next targets, demands were increasing upon the Navy to take the war to the Japanese and strike back. But the men at Pearl Harbor knew that while the Navy’s strength was increasing almost daily they were not yet ready to take on the seemingly unstoppable Japanese fleet.

Though the Japanese might force the issue by striking at a target that had to be defended, such as Australia, Alaska, or Fiji. Their armed forces, once the subject of jokes, now seemed to be capable of almost anything. They held the initiative, and no one seemed able to take it away from them.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 219
RE: RE: March 4, 1942 - 8/2/2011 1:36:15 AM   
Cuttlefish

March 4, 1942

Aboard USS Gridley

Ship's Status: Sys damage 4

No one could have blamed Gridley’s medical officer, Dr. Albert Corwin, if he had been a bit bored. Corwin was a fully qualified surgeon, with a medical degree from the University of California San Francisco. A naval reservist, he had left his practice in the Bay Area and joined Gridley’s crew a couple of months before the outbreak of the war. So far, though, the bulk of his duties had consisted of treating seasickness, the common cold, and a few cases of venereal disease.

Corwin wasn’t bored, though. He wished he had more chance to practice his surgical skills. In fact he had taken to doing card tricks as a way to keep his fingers nimble. But he wasn’t bored.

The doctor took a keen interest in all facets of Gridley’s operation. He followed the installation of the new radars, stood watches with the officers, and wandered the ship talking to the men about their work. It fascinated him how all facets of the destroyer’s operation meshed together to produce a smoothly functioning warship.

He also spent some time pondering what might happen when his skills were needed. If Gridley was ever hit by enemy fire he might find himself suddenly confronted with a good many trauma cases, perhaps even dozens of them. He had two pharmacist’s mates. Both were capable men. But they could be overwhelmed by a rush of casualties.

In talking with his counterparts on other destroyers Corwin had heard of a program started on one or two of them to give some of the crew medical training, enough at least to triage a group of wounded men and keep the badly injured ones alive until a doctor could get to them. This struck Corwin as a profoundly good idea and he resolved to discuss the matter with Captain Stickney. A dozen men, ones with compassion, steadiness, and intelligence, might make a huge difference in a crisis.

With luck they would never be needed. But Dr. Corwin had already grasped that naval duty in wartime was composed of long periods of boredom and short intervals of action. The trick was to be ready for action when it came.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 220
RE: RE: March 5, 1942 - 8/3/2011 8:09:11 PM   
Cuttlefish

March 5, 1942

Aboard USS Gridley

Ship's Status: Sys damage 3

It was widely believed by Gridley’s crew that their captain, Lt. Commander Stickney, was incapable of smiling. And it was true that his usual expression was serious, even dour. It was often hard to tell whether he was pleased, angry, or somewhere in between. Some of the new officers aboard ship found this rather unnerving.

More experienced hands had learned to read the subtle signs. When a slight furrow appeared between Stickney’s brows the barometer was dropping and the wise treaded softly. If the edges of his prominent ears began to turn read then the storm was upon you. Not that Captain Stickney yelled, or raged. But many men would rather face a firing squad than be subject to one of his flat-voiced, biting dressing-downs.

It would have astounded many of the crew, therefore, to see their captain in one of the officer’s clubs at Pearl Harbor, laughing heartily with several of his friends. These were former Annapolis classmates, and the fact that so much of the fleet was currently gathered at Pearl gave them a chance to get together and reminisce about old times.

At the moment the subject of discussion was Harold “Hal” Tiemroth, currently captain of destroyer Balch. Stickney had run track with him at Annapolis. Tiemroth was shaking his head but laughing with the others as they recalled the day he had appeared in formation without a shirt.

“I can still hear old Painter,” said George Quillman, now gunnery officer aboard Chicago. “ ‘Mr. Tiemroth, you seem to be out of uniform.’ He never even blinked.”

“I never did find those shirts,” said Tiemroth when the laughter died down. “Or figure out who did it.”

“It’s just one of those mysteries, I guess,” said Stickney. The corners of his mouth twitched as he looked down at his glass of scotch. Tiemroth had been in the class just ahead of his at the Naval Academy and had delighted in tormenting the serious young Stickney when Stickney was a plebe.

The conversation became more serious as it moved from tales of the past to the current war situation. Everyone knew that the Japanese would be difficult to stop and that there would be hard fighting ahead.

“I hear,” said Quillman, “that they are thinking of trying to send a small convoy to the Philippines. Volunteers only.” The Japanese had the combined US/Filipino forces on Luzon bottled up around the Bataan peninsula and seemed content to starve them out. By the sound of things it was working. Starvation and disease were rampant among the defenders, who nonetheless still held their lines with determination.

“It would be a one-way trip,” someone said. “You might get there, with a lot of luck. You’d never get back.”

“It would have to be via a northern route,” Stickney said. “Above the Marshalls and past the Marianas. The only reason it might work is that the Japs might not be looking for us to try anything so desperate.”

“Yeah,” said Tiemroth. “Get close, beach the ships, and try to unload as much as possible before the Jap bombers found them.”

“They say,” Quillman said, “that there’s no lack of volunteers.”

“The Japs have guts,” said Tiemroth. “But if they think they’re the only ones they have another think coming.”

“Luck to them if they try it,” said Stickney sincerely. He raised his glass. “Here’s to guts.” And the men raised their glasses and drank.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 221
RE: RE: March 10, 1942 - 8/4/2011 9:01:25 PM   
Cuttlefish

March 6-10, 1942

Aboard USS Gridley

Ship's Status: no damage

After several more days in port the refit is complete. In addition to the new equipment a host of minor repairs have also been done. The somewhat battered destroyer that arrived at Pearl Harbor sixteen days ago now gleams with new fittings and fresh paint.

The crew is also noticeably less battered. Days off from long days at sea and the constant blare of the general quarters klaxon has put a spring in the step of the men that had been noticeably lacking. Time ashore hasn’t hurt, either.

As is often observed, however, the Navy’s reward for completing one job is another job. Gridley is no sooner pronounced ready for service when a flash message addressed to the destroyer arrives in the radio room. It is quickly decoded and handed to Captain Stickney. Several officers, sensing that the captain is looking at their next assignment, gather nearby as Stickney reads the message. When he is done he looks up.

“Convoy duty,” says Stickney. “We’re to serve as the flagship on an outbound troop convoy.” This is not bad news. Convoy duty is often boring but it also offers a less hectic pace than escorting, say, an aircraft carrier.

The question is, where are they going? To some exotic Polynesian island? To Australia, perhaps? Stickney listens to the speculation for a moment and then holds up a hand.

“Check the cold weather gear,” he says. “We’re going to the Aleutians. Dutch Harbor.”

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 222
RE: RE: March 11, 1942 - 8/5/2011 8:56:37 PM   
Cuttlefish

March 11, 1942

Aboard USS Gridley

Attached to: TF 107
Mission: Amphibious

The force that Gridley will lead north consists of two other destroyers, Worden and Dale. They will escort four troop transports; President Madison, Sarpedonia, Rangitiki, and Rangitata. In addition there is one freighter, Chios.

Until a few months ago the four troop transports were all civilian passenger liners, plying the peaceful waters of the Pacific. President Madison with the American Presidents Line, Rangitiki and Rangitata with the New Zealand Shipping Company, and Sarpedonia as part of the Blue Funnel Line. Drafted into the war effort along with many other civilian ships, they now carry men and supplies to many far-flung outposts.

The troops these ships will be carrying are the more than 4000 men of the 161st Infantry Regiment. Dutch Harbor has engineers, artillery, and anti-aircraft guns. What it lacks are enough trained troops to repel a Japanese attack. These men are intended to address that lack.

All day long troops file aboard their ships while their gear and other supplies are also loaded. By nightfall the operation will be complete and the eight ships of Task Force 107 will depart Pearl for the long voyage north. Dutch Harbor is almost 2300 miles away. This, Gridley’s crew knows, will not be a milk run. There will be danger from submarines all along the route and at Dutch Harbor they may face air attack from the Japanese-held islands to the west. And, of course, there is the climate, which in the Aleutians can be a bigger danger than the enemy.

SS Rangitiki:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 223
RE: RE: March 11, 1942 - 8/5/2011 9:09:51 PM   
terje439

Have to say, again I am compelled to check the AAR section daily for an update of your tale. Excellent reading

Terje

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 224
RE: RE: March 12, 1942 - 8/6/2011 10:10:35 PM   
Cuttlefish

March 12, 1942

Aboard USS Gridley

Course: North
Fuel: 510 (97%)

Captain Stickney stands in the dimly lit charthouse gazing down at the radar plot. The eight ships of the task force stand out clearly, the blips of the transports noticeably larger than those of the escorting destroyers. The four troop ships are in line behind Gridley, with freighter Chios bringing up the rear. Worden and Dale are out on the flanks.

The new radar gear makes keeping station and monitoring the task force a snap, even in darkness. If one of the transports lags or one of the destroyers strays too far afield it can be spotted and reported immediately. Not that there has been much of that so far, just one day into the long voyage north.

Stickney looks up from the display and murmurs for the men in the room to carry on. He climbs back up to his accustomed place on the bridge. The new gear, he thinks, is no substitute for vigilance and seamanship, but there is no doubt that it’s handy to have.

Gridley’s captain is used to being responsible for the over 220 men that now comprise the destroyer’s crew. But now he is responsible not only for his crew but the crews of all the other ships, and over 4000 soldiers – soldiers badly needed to guard against a Japanese incursion in the north that is already troublingly close to the United States and Canada. Stickney feels the pressure keenly.

So far he has resisted the impulse to monitor and correct every little error in the task force. The crews of Dale and Worden know their business, and the merchies would not appreciate being constantly chivvied back into position like sheep being herded by an overly enthusiastic sheepdog. But Stickney understands the urge to control every little thing that turns some officers into petty tyrants, indeed he does.

He reflexively checks the ship’s course and speed and then stands in apparent serenity, hands clasped behind his back, gazing ahead at the sunlight dancing on the waves. It is a fine warm day here in the waters around Hawaii. Stickney doubts they will find conditions nearly so pleasant at Dutch Harbor.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 225
RE: RE: March 13, 1942 - 8/7/2011 8:17:28 PM   
Cuttlefish

March 13, 1942

Aboard USS Gridley

Fuel: 489 (93%)

Shoulder to shoulder in a common cause, the men aboard the ships of Task Force 107 sail north to the Aleutians.

Well, mostly shoulder to shoulder. The regular Navy officers regard themselves as a bit better than the reservists. All the officers, regulars and reservists alike, know that they are a cut above the able seamen and ratings that they command.

The officers and men of the US Navy regard themselves as better than the members of the merchant marine. The merchant mariners (while resenting the Navy men as mincing prima donnas) look down their noses at the soldiers they are carrying. To them the soldiers are just cargo, cargo that complains and pukes a lot.

The soldiers, for their part, view all the sailors with equal loathing. The sailors aren’t responsible for getting them assigned to the Aleutians, or for the wretched rolling of the sea, but they are the instruments inflicting all of these indignities upon them.

But all the men, of whatever rank or service, are united in one sense at least. All of them want to beat the Japs. It isn’t personal for all of them, not yet anyway. But it is the Japanese who started this war through an act of treachery, the Japanese whose conquests and cruel deeds are the reason they are out here.

So - shoulder to shoulder in a common cause, the men aboard the ships of Task Force 107 sail north to the Aleutians.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 226
RE: RE: March 14, 1942 - 8/9/2011 9:28:30 PM   
Cuttlefish

March 14, 1942

Aboard USS Gridley

Fuel: 468 (89%)

With Gridley’s crew well on their way to Dutch Harbor now is probably a good time to produce the first list of our cast of characters so far.

Lieutenant Commander Fred Russell Stickney. Gridley’s captain, an intelligent, serious, dedicated officer.

Lieutenant Frederick Steubens. The ship’s executive officer, a little green but enthusiastic.

Lieutenant JG Coszyk, ship’s communication officer.

Lieutenant JG Cameron, gunnery officer.

Dr. Albert Corwin, ship’s medical officer. Naval reservist, had a practice in the Bay Area prior to the war.

Jake Reedy: Gunner’s Mate 1/c. From Scranton, Pennsylvania. Short, stocky, and quick-witted. Has a girl named Cathy back home.

William “Bill” Bonderman, radioman 1/c. From Lubbock, Texas. Long, lean, and taciturn, joined the Navy as a result of trouble and settled down. Formerly served aboard West Virginia.

Joe Beaumont, Seaman 2/c. Farm boy from northern Michigan, enlisted after Pearl Harbor. Striking for loader on turret 54. Very large and strong, a little slow of thought but very steady.

Gus Becken, Gunner’s mate 2/c. Loader for Reedy’s 20 mm. Short and a bit brash, fancies himself a ladies’ man.

Morris Crenshaw, quartermaster division.

Jerome “Marbles” Jenks, signalman. Teller of tall tales.

Earl “Fish” Herring. 20mm gunner.

Edward Barnecott. Engineering, striking for gunner. A small, wiry, quiet man, formerly served aboard Reuben James.

Al Tanner, deck force. An unpleasant trouble-maker.

Rudy Bronkhorst, deck force, striking for radioman. A large man without much education and a reclamation project of Bonderman’s.

Gus Belchik, loader on turret 52.

Dan Rucker, fuse setter on Turret 54.

Chief Petty Officer Marcus "Black Mark" Helquist, engineering. There is little he does not know about Gridley’s engines.

Chief Petty Officer Odell. An old navy hand, master of the deck force.

Harry Starkweather, gun captain of turret 54. Shrewd and determined to make his gun crew the best on the ship.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 227
RE: RE: March 15, 1942 - 8/10/2011 10:16:00 PM   
Cuttlefish

March 15, 1942

Aboard USS Gridley

Fuel: 447 (85%)

Joe Beaumont had begun to think that sea sickness was not going to be a problem for him. He had not been troubled by it on the peaceful voyage from San Francisco to Pearl Harbor, nor during Gridley’s first few days out on this mission. In fact he rather enjoyed the gentle motion of the sea.

But on the fourth day out of Pearl the weather had turned a little worse. The skies were mostly clear but the wind had kicked up to force 5, edging towards force 6. The old hands on board scarcely noticed. But Joe no longer thought sea sickness was not going to affect him.

He lay in his bunk, one listless hand keeping a grip on the handy nearby pail to keep it from sliding away. His ruddy complexion was an unhealthy color and actually did appear greenish in the light from the steel-caged bulbs. Nor was he the only one; most of the new hands were suffering. The Gridley-class destroyers were not known for their stability in rough weather and in fact had a tendency to roll quite a bit even in moderate seas.

Jake Reedy and Gus Becken came clattering into the bunkroom, talking animatedly to each other. On his way to his locker Reedy stopped and looked down at Beaumont.

“Hey, Big Joe,” he said, “you don’t look so good. How are you feeling?” Joe turned a stolid face towards him.

“I’m okay,” he said, his voice lacking its usual strength. “I sure do wish things would stop moving around, though.”

“You’ll get used to it,” Reedy assured him. “Give it a day or two, you’ll be just fine.”

“Yeah, probably,” Becken called over from his locker. “Most guys do. Of course, there are a few that just never get over it.”

“Shut up, Gus,” said Reedy affably. Beaumont struggled to sit up.

“I have to get better!” he said. Worry overrode the misery on his pleasant features. “Mr. Starkweather, he needs me! He told me to rest today, but I can’t lay around too long, no matter how bad I feel.”

“Relax,” said Reedy, motioning for Joe to lie back down. “You’ll be fit as a fiddle in no time.” Becken strolled over.

“Yeah,” he said helpfully. “Why, pretty soon you’ll think this is nothing! Wait until you see a real storm. When you walk down a companionway you walk on the walls as much as on the floor. Left wall, floor…right wall, floor…left wall, floor…” His litany was interrupted by Joe clutching hastily for the pail and retching noisily into it. Reedy and Becken looked on in silence for a moment. When Beaumont had finished and collapsed weakly back onto his bunk Reedy turned to his friend.

“Nice work, Gus,” he said. He picked up the bucket and handed it to Becken. “Here. You get to go empty this.” He glanced as Beaumont stifled a moan. “And hurry,” he added.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 228
RE: RE: March 14, 1942 - 8/11/2011 3:13:54 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

Harry Starkweather, gun captain of turret 54. Shrewd and determined to make his gun crew the best on the ship.

Nice roll call so far. If I'm not mistaken, AE records enough detail so that damage to each individual turret is displayed, but not enough so that hits from individual turrets are noted. We'll have to see what damage is taken, but you should have a free hand as to success in combat.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 229
RE: RE: March 16, 1942 - 8/11/2011 10:26:33 PM   
Cuttlefish

March 16, 1942

Aboard USS Gridley

Fuel: 426 (81%)

Between the Hawaiian Islands and the Aleutians the waters of the North Pacific are unbroken, marred by no reef, island, or islet. Most of the sea floor is a vast abyssal plain, three miles or more below the surface. Atop this wilderness of water steam the eight Allied vessels, less than specks in the vast emptiness.

Gridley has now led them past the halfway point. Dutch Harbor is less than one thousand miles away. So far the voyage has been completely without incident. There have been no sub contacts and few false alarms. There has been no hint of recent Japanese activity in these waters or in the Aleutians. There have not even been any major mechanical difficulties aboard any of the ships.

Not everyone aboard is happy, of course. The weather gets no worse, but it does not improve, either. Hundreds of soldiers share Joe Beaumont’s misery, and many are worse off than he is. For these men being stalked and sunk by a Japanese I-boat would seem like a merciful end to a voyage of unending misery.

But thus far the Japanese do not seem inclined to be so obliging. The ships toil northward, undisturbed in a wide and empty sea.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 230
RE: RE: March 17, 1942 - 8/13/2011 12:18:12 AM   
Cuttlefish

March 17, 1942

Aboard USS Gridley

Fuel: 408 (77%)

Al Tanner was the kind of guy who would, if you were carrying a full tray of food in a cafeteria, trip you and then bray with laughter as milk sprayed everywhere and you sat up with mashed potatoes on your chest. He would do it, that is, if he thought he could do it without fear of retribution. Al Tanner’s first concern, always, was the safety and well-being of Al Tanner.

In the small, enclosed community of a warship such as a destroyer, it is not possible to hide unpleasant character traits for long. Most of the crewmen aboard despised Tanner, and some hated him. Tanner knew this. He was, however, one of those men with a knack for manipulating people. He maintained a cadre of friends through a combination of favors and threats. The weak he could bully and intimidate; the strong he could cajole or avoid. The purpose of all of this was to ensure that he got the easiest and safest jobs and did as little work as possible.

On a lax ship he would have had an easy time. Unfortunately, he was aboard Gridley. His chief nemesis was Captain Stickney; the ship’s commander terrified him. Just behind Stickney was Petty Officer Masterson, a grizzled veteran and former boxer, his immediate supervisor in the deck force. Masterson kept a sharp eye on him and time and again thwarted his efforts to slack off.

There were several crewmen he had also been unable to get around. Among these was Jake Reedy, who made no secret of his contempt for Tanner. Reedy was very popular with his shipmates, however, which made him difficult to work against openly. Tanner was pretty sure he could take Reedy in a fight; Tanner was tough and nasty. And if he couldn’t, his buddies “Beans” Ranker and George Vick could. But it would cause too much trouble.

What Tanner really needed was an “in” with the officers. He needed someone under his influence who could intercede for him with Masterson. In the tight-knit ship’s company as it existed before the war, this was impossible. In fact, Tanner would have been appalled if he had known the extent to which Stickney and Steubens were aware of his corrosive influence on the crew and worked to minimize it. But the war, while bringing more work and more danger, had also brought new opportunities.

One of these was Ensign Lawrence Courtney. Courtney was fresh out of OCS and Gridley was his first assignment. He had joined the crew during the recent refit and Tanner, with his ability to sense weakness in others, was already eyeing him with speculation. Courtney’s bluster and tension betrayed a lack of confidence and, perhaps, fear and loneliness. These were traits Tanner could exploit and use. Courtney might just need a friend aboard, someone who could give him a sympathetic ear.

Al Tanner kept his head down but his eye on the green young officer. He had a suspicion he would not have to wait long for an opening.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 231
RE: RE: March 18, 1942 - 8/14/2011 5:12:51 AM   
Cuttlefish

March 18, 1942

Aboard USS Gridley

Course: Northwest
Fuel: 387 (73%)

Elkton “Elk” Bowers, ship’s baker, did much of his work at night, after the last of the crew had been fed and the galley was empty. He and his assistants had their own work area on the port side of the galley, but since they used the same ovens as the rest of the cooks most of the bread, biscuits, and other baked goods needed for the following day were prepared the night before. The finished products were stored in the bread locker at the starboard end of the galley passageway, to be pulled out and served as needed on the following day.

At the moment Bowers was putting the finishing touches on the last of two dozen apple pies. He crimped the crusts on the last of them, then looked over his work. He sprinkled a little more cinnamon on one or two pies and indicated to his men that they were ready to go into the big oven. The crew did not get pies every day, of course, but Bowers liked to bake them at least once or twice a week. Cakes and other pastries were also often prepared.

While the pies baked Bowers and the others cleaned up. At least it wasn’t too hot. It was almost chilly above decks this evening and cool air gusted down the galley passage every time a sailor came in from the night to snag a cup of coffee.

By the time the pies were ready to come out of the oven and go into the bread locker the galley was spotless. The countertops and fixtures gleamed. Bowers always took pride in leaving the galley cleaner than he found it.

One man remained on duty to ensure that the vital supply of coffee did not run out during the night. Bowers and the others departed for their bunks. Before he fell asleep the baker thought of his wife, Elizabeth, back home in Kokomo, Indiana. Liz was probably about to wake up and start her day, he thought. He sure did miss her. He touched the gold band he wore on his left ring finger, as he often did when he thought of her, then lurched upright, whacking his head on the bunk above him. This brought a sleepy mutter from the man asleep there.

Bowers hardly noticed the blow. He gazed at his hand in the dimness, spreading his fingers. Where was his wedding ring?

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 232
RE: RE: March 18, 1942 - 8/14/2011 4:29:22 PM   
RHoenig

It took me weeks, no months, to get over my withdrawl syndrome after "small ship" ended.

Unbelievable, I missed this one for so long.

Definitely subscribed!

Oh, and I´d like to add myself to the list for a release of "small ship" as a bood/e-book (again) !

PS:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish

“That,” he drawled, “is the stupidest story I ever heard.”

Hilarious, simply hilarious !!!

"Tell the King: After the battle my head is at his disposal, during the battle he may allow me to use it!
GenLt. Seydlitz to Frederik the Great after disobeying an order to attack

R. Hoenig, Germany

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 233
RE: RE: March 19, 1942 - 8/15/2011 9:32:30 PM   
Cuttlefish

March 19, 1942

Aboard USS Gridley

Course: Northwest
Fuel: 367 (69%)

As the task force drew near to the Aleutians the weather went from partly clear to gloomy and from cool to downright cold. Nighttime temperatures dipped towards freezing. Gridley's sailors above decks shivered through night watches that held a damp chill no amount of hot coffee seemed able to ward off.

At least the seas remained somewhat calm, though they were rough enough to create endless misery aboard the transports. The clouds overhead were heavy and low. This was not entirely a bad thing. The task force was close enough now to the Aleutians to be sighted by long-range Japanese flying boats out of Amchitka or Adak.

The ships plowed their way north through gray seas and under gray skies. By tomorrow they would finally reach Dutch Harbor.

Rudy Bronkhorst loved apple pie. His mother used to make it a lot. She had been born in the Netherlands and so made them Dutch style, with raisins and cinnamon. They were still the best pies Rudy had ever eaten. But the ones Elk Bowers made were pretty good. He used cinnamon too, when he had it.

There was enough pie for all the enlisted men to have a generous slice. Rudy gobbled his quickly, hoping to snag a second slice from someone who didn’t want theirs. It was a small chance, but you never knew. The big radioman took big bites, pausing just long enough to savor the taste of every fork full.

As he was in a hurry he didn’t bother much with chewing. As one of the last bites slid down his throat, however, a funny look came over his face. He made a sort of “urk” noise and then swallowed convulsively and with obvious difficulty. Bill Bonderman, across the table from him, looked up from his own slice of pie.

“You okay there, Rudy?” he asked. Bronkhorst put a hand over his chest and looked up at him.

“Oh hell,” he said. “I think I just found Elk’s ring.”

(in reply to RHoenig)
Post #: 234
RE: RE: March 19, 1942 - 8/15/2011 9:34:25 PM   
Canoerebel

I hate to tell you this, but Gridley is going to be sunk by I-5 south of Pearl Harbor on June 17, 1942.  You ask:  "How can you know this?" 

All I can tell you is:  "I know this from personal experience."

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 235
RE: RE: March 19, 1942 - 8/15/2011 9:37:02 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I hate to tell you this, but Gridley is going to be sunk by I-5 south of Pearl Harbor on June 17, 1942.  You ask:  "How can you know this?" 

Hm, remind me to have Gridley avoid those waters when June rolls around...

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 236
RE: RE: March 19, 1942 - 8/16/2011 5:59:12 AM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I-5 did have a pretty good day that day, didn't she? She got the AP George Elliott that turn too.

One of the few success stories for me in our game...<sigh>

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 237
RE: RE: March 19, 1942 - 8/16/2011 8:23:08 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

I hate to tell you this, but Gridley is going to be sunk by I-5 south of Pearl Harbor on June 17, 1942. You ask: "How can you know this?"

All I can tell you is: "I know this from personal experience."

Sending Gridley to San Diego in May for ASW training might not be a bad idea . . .

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 238
RE: RE: March 19, 1942 - 8/16/2011 9:46:07 PM   
jmalter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish
March 19, 1942

Aboard USS Gridley

“Oh hell,” he said. “I think I just found Elk’s ring.”

& here i was thinking that Tanner had prob'ly stolen it! Still, he's the front-runner in the Gridley's "Jonah's Lift" sweepstakes - or mebbe he's fated for redemption during combat?

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 239
RE: RE: March 19, 1942 - 8/17/2011 1:09:03 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmalter

& here i was thinking that Tanner had prob'ly stolen it! Still, he's the front-runner in the Gridley's "Jonah's Lift" sweepstakes - or mebbe he's fated for redemption during combat?

Time will tell. I almost never plan where the story is going to go ahead of time.

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: February 25, 1942 Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI