Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

error 301

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tech Support >> error 301 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
error 301 - 8/24/2011 7:25:53 AM   
Hermann

couldnt upload my game got error 301 now i cant log into the server same error - ive the latest patch and have had no problems till now
Post #: 1
RE: error 301 - 8/24/2011 7:27:13 AM   
sillyflower

me too

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to Hermann)
Post #: 2
RE: error 301 - 8/24/2011 8:59:52 AM   
KenchiSulla

Same

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 3
RE: error 301 - 8/24/2011 10:26:37 AM   
Don77

ditto

(in reply to KenchiSulla)
Post #: 4
RE: error 301 - 8/24/2011 10:34:01 AM   
Empire101

The same, cannot log on.

Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Don77)
Post #: 5
RE: error 301 - 8/24/2011 11:03:06 AM   
KenchiSulla

Seems the PBEM server is down for maintenance up to 12:00 AM GMT!

http://slitherine.dyndns-ip.com/news/item394

< Message edited by Cannonfodder -- 8/24/2011 11:04:48 AM >

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

(in reply to Hermann)
Post #: 6
RE: error 301 - 8/24/2011 11:03:15 AM   
Empire101

It has now strangely changed to Query Challenges Failure : Error [1]

Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 7
RE: error 301 - 8/24/2011 11:19:40 AM   
Aussiematto

Query Challenges Failure : Error [1] +1 : I am at the mercy of robots....

I still remember cardboard!

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 8
RE: error 301 - 8/24/2011 11:30:29 AM   
Mazzah

Yes yes the dreaded internets!

(in reply to Aussiematto)
Post #: 9
RE: error 301 - 8/24/2011 11:37:56 AM   
olivier34

same here...Query Challenges Failure...

(in reply to Mazzah)
Post #: 10
RE: error 301 - 8/24/2011 11:41:47 AM   
zxr8421

same for me.

(in reply to olivier34)
Post #: 11
RE: error 301 - 8/24/2011 12:34:26 PM   
Aussiematto

wiorking now but be careful - just played part of a turn and am getting an upload file error!!!!

Fortunately, I was just doing a small portion of the turn but still :(

I still remember cardboard!

(in reply to zxr8421)
Post #: 12
RE: error 301 - 8/24/2011 2:08:42 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi everyone,

We were doing an upgrade to the server overnight to address some of the ongoing issues due to the high load on the server. Apologies for the disruption this caused. It should be all fixed now and the server should be improved.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Aussiematto)
Post #: 13
RE: error 301 - 8/24/2011 10:59:55 PM   
Michael T

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 14
RE: error 301 - 8/25/2011 2:50:38 AM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
We were doing an upgrade to the server overnight to address some of the ongoing issues due to the high load on the server. Apologies for the disruption this caused. It should be all fixed now and the server should be improved.

This is extremely irritating. Maybe a warning next time would be appropriate? I lost my turn when I tried to upload it and had to start over. I got the message below and clicked "yes" (to retry) several times, but always got the same message. When I tried to log back into the server, I got another error until I exited the game and started it again.

And there is another more serious problem: during my last turn, the game stopped showing all CVs and MPs, for both sides, and I cannot zoom in as far as usual. I thought this was a simple glitch that would go away when I re-entered the game, but it did not.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by 76mm -- 8/25/2011 2:51:40 AM >

Post #: 15
RE: error 301 - 8/25/2011 5:25:03 AM   
Erik Rutins

Hi 76mm,

A warning was supposed to be posted, in addition to the previous notice about a server upgrade in late August. It did go up on the Slitherine site, but for some reason was not posted here. I apologize for that, we were trying to avoid any lost turns.

Regarding the CVs and MPs, did you hit the "y" key by mistake?

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 16
RE: error 301 - 8/25/2011 6:10:44 AM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
A warning was supposed to be posted, in addition to the previous notice about a server upgrade in late August. It did go up on the Slitherine site, but for some reason was not posted here. I apologize for that, we were trying to avoid any lost turns.

Regarding the CVs and MPs, did you hit the "y" key by mistake?

OK, but I don't understand why in these situations I have only two choices--to try again (futile) or to lose the turn. Why not also a "cancel" to allow me to revert to where I was, in case the server comes back up later?

I thought the y key turned on a bar graphic instead of numbers--my counters had nothing at all, just blank space on the bottom. Through some combination of hitting the y and z keys, I got the numbers to reappear, but I had never seen this before, it is WAD?

Post #: 17
RE: error 301 - 8/25/2011 10:21:45 AM   
IainMcNeil

The main reason for this is to prevent cheating. If you could save locally people could make copies of the game, and keep trying it until they got a result they liked. Currently if you try this the server can see and we are tracking all downloads & uploads and if there is mismatch we can tell.

We're looking for ways to improve on this but it requires some complex changes to server and client to maintain the cheat protection.

I dont know about the key presses - can't help there.

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 18
RE: error 301 - 8/25/2011 10:39:14 AM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

The main reason for this is to prevent cheating. If you could save locally people could make copies of the game, and keep trying it until they got a result they liked. Currently if you try this the server can see and we are tracking all downloads & uploads and if there is mismatch we can tell.

I don't mean to save it to the desktop, I mean to leave the game unsaved on my desktop just the way it was before I tried to end the turn.

Alternatively, you could save the game to the desktop when players try to send to the server, but "lock" it so they can't change anything. This would also be helpful so that players could review the game situation during the other player's turn--this is currently my main frustration with server games...

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 19
RE: error 301 - 8/25/2011 4:51:08 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

Locking the save is not something that is easy to do and still maintain the cheat protection - the file needs to be able to be loaded back into the game at some point, which makes it vulnerable to manipulation and alteration. There are ways around it, but as Iain says, it requires some careful thought and alterations to both the client and server.

With regard to the first point, I'm not sure what you mean. If you had left the game running then (in theory) once the server came back up, you would be able to then retry again and it would probably have saved your game correctly.

Cheers

Pip

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 20
RE: error 301 - 8/25/2011 10:37:28 PM   
Michael T

76mm, what I do when I get the yes-no option is just leave it sit there. I wait for an hour or so an try again. Once I let it sit all night, got up the next morning and it worked. I have not lost a turn yet, except for a couple of crashes that were not the servers fault. If you can just be patient with it, it will eventually upload.

For me these inconveinience's are far outweighed by the extra security and the conveinience of not having to email save files.

Thanks Matrix/Slitherine for this feature. Please keep improving it. I think its great and the way forward for all people who want to avoid cheaters as much as possible.

(in reply to PipFromSlitherine)
Post #: 21
RE: error 301 - 8/26/2011 3:24:22 AM   
michaelm75au

It might be more user friendly, if the 'game' could pop up a message when the server was going and/or was down. Give it a dedicated error code and message that the game could interpret and show to the player when it happens or at the start of the turn.

At least that could warn the player and they may want to postpone doing their turn. Rather than spending sometime doing the turn and then finding it can't be uploaded due to the server being offline.

Trying to find local storage methods of protection can be difficult as I have found.

If this method of Player-to-Player is to be common to other games, it should try to build these types of 'helpful' items in to the structure now rather later.

< Message edited by michaelm -- 8/26/2011 3:27:02 AM >

Michael

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 22
RE: error 301 - 8/26/2011 4:55:39 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

We did consider it, but adding those kinds of features requires client changes and the timescale we had for the server move didn't give enough time for new versions from every developer. We are rolling out ingame messaging of the kind you suggest, and we could have used it in this instance, but as I say, we decided we didn't have time for the client changes.

We have hopefully moved to a server which gives us much easier upgrading and so won't need this kind of disruptive downtime again for a loooong time!

Cheers

Pip

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tech Support >> error 301 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI