Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

*really* stupid question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> *really* stupid question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
*really* stupid question - 8/27/2011 2:26:00 AM   
alarikf

Ok, so, the subject line is accurate, don't flame me, but I have a *really* stupid question: what does the number after the planet type indicate?

For example, in the manual it notes "Lambda 4, continental planet, 29.1K, 88% quality."

What does the 29.1K refer to?

I repeat: I *know* this is a stupid question. I blame my inadequacy on beer. But...help?

Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: *really* stupid question - 8/27/2011 6:16:45 AM   
vince0018

That number is your colonies annual tax revenue, of which the total of all your colonies can be found
on your empires revenue page, which is your flag at the top of the screen.

(in reply to alarikf)
Post #: 2
RE: *really* stupid question - 8/27/2011 3:38:10 PM   
adecoy95

its the size of the planet, its one of the factors that determines the maximum population the planet can support. as far as i know, it is not a reference to income, that is the GDP further down.

(in reply to vince0018)
Post #: 3
RE: *really* stupid question - 8/27/2011 7:51:44 PM   
Harmonious Hegemony

OK, as long as we are owning up to embarrassingly basic questions, I have one; Do the dotted lines between colonies, trade routes I think, have any meaning to me as a player? Expressed another way, should they affect anything in my strategy or tactics as I play? (I am posting this here so that alarikf won't feel so bad about his question.)

(in reply to adecoy95)
Post #: 4
RE: *really* stupid question - 8/27/2011 7:58:08 PM   
Igard

HH and alarikf. The only stupid question is the one you never asked.

HH, the dotted lines are purely to help the player see their empire more clearly. They don't affect anything gameplay wise.

(in reply to Harmonious Hegemony)
Post #: 5
RE: *really* stupid question - 8/27/2011 9:31:34 PM   
Harmonious Hegemony

Igard - Though so but wasn't sure and would have felt really dumb if I played for another few months only to find out they were important somehow.

Thanks!

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 6
RE: *really* stupid question - 8/27/2011 11:51:26 PM   
adecoy95

i have a dumb question too, is there a game setting that will remove lost colonies? i want to play a pauper game where its a feat for anyone to afford, well, just about anything. and lost colonies make that kinda difficult to pull off.

(in reply to Harmonious Hegemony)
Post #: 7
RE: *really* stupid question - 8/28/2011 5:25:42 AM   
Shark7

You'll also note that the dotted lines will change as new starports come online. Eventually you will see that your largest starports have several dotted lines pointed back to them. It's just a visual representation of a transit 'hub'.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to adecoy95)
Post #: 8
RE: *really* stupid question - 8/29/2011 6:34:51 PM   
alarikf

Thanks!

Next stupid question(s): what are the numbers for weapons range and speed denominated in? Are they kilometers? Hundreds of kilometers? Knowing these things helps me get a handle on the general scale of things. For that matter, what is the scale of the planetary size number I asked about above? Is that the cricumference of the planet, or perhaps usable land area?

thanks, and sorry for the stupid questions. I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around some things about this game...

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 9
RE: *really* stupid question - 8/29/2011 7:22:24 PM   
Data

For these we have to resort to rping. Whatever works for each of us is good enoug; for example, I tend to think the planetary size number relates to the circumference.
And welcome to the forum alarikf, hope you have fun with this gem.

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to alarikf)
Post #: 10
RE: *really* stupid question - 8/29/2011 7:47:25 PM   
alarikf

Are weapons ranges in light-seconds and speed in light-seconds per....day? Or is it unspecified?

thanks

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 11
RE: *really* stupid question - 8/29/2011 8:26:53 PM   
Data

unspecified...I haven't found any piece of info pertaining to this.

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to alarikf)
Post #: 12
RE: *really* stupid question - 8/31/2011 2:17:08 PM   
alarikf

Ok, a few more stupid questions, if y'all don't mind.

1) Can I build colony ships *only* at colonies? Not at space ports above those colonies?
2) Only one space port per colony is allowed?
3) What does the 'speed' of a construction yard indicate (and is there a rationale for my planet of 20 billion people having only one yard with a speed of 18 while my space port has a speed of 200 for four yards?)
4) What would be the likely reasons I can't change my colony ship's orders right at the start of the game?

Thanks, sorry for the stupid questions...

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 13
RE: *really* stupid question - 8/31/2011 2:29:14 PM   
Data

Let's see:

1) yes, only colonies build them and no other.

2) Yap

3) it's the speed with which the construction yard assembles the components provided by the manufacturers. Those make the components from the basic resources and are pretty fast so the construction yard is not affected by this. But yes, it doesn't matter how much pop you have, only the level of the construction yard.

4) Something affecting this is not on manual, either the ship itself or colonization. Make sure the ship is on manual, this will override everything else. For the colonization and other factors check the empire options and the policies.

(in reply to alarikf)
Post #: 14
RE: *really* stupid question - 8/31/2011 2:38:38 PM   
alarikf

Thanks! You rock.

And, I am sure I will have many more stupid questions in the near future that I will pester you with.

:)

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 15
RE: *really* stupid question - 8/31/2011 3:35:00 PM   
Data

Go right ahead, we encourage this overhere.

(in reply to alarikf)
Post #: 16
RE: *really* stupid question - 8/31/2011 5:51:09 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: alarikf

Are weapons ranges in light-seconds and speed in light-seconds per....day? Or is it unspecified?

thanks

I just accept that it is a really long distance and that beams eventually lose focus, missiles and torpedoes 'go stupid' and self destruct. It is a realistic way of thinking about it (true to physics actually, light tends to diffuse over distance and modern missiles and torpedoes do self destruct if they fail to reach their target before running out of fuel).

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to alarikf)
Post #: 17
RE: *really* stupid question - 8/31/2011 8:19:34 PM   
qqqqqq666

Something that i am trying to figure out. Regarding the very rare luxury resources (korrabian spice etc) when is it wise (if it is wise) to share with other races? Can sharing help increase our income or something? Or to just improve relations?

< Message edited by qqqqqq666 -- 8/31/2011 8:20:29 PM >

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 18
RE: *really* stupid question - 8/31/2011 8:22:53 PM   
Data

Both actually, the income increase in particular is huuuge. But it also helps their development and thet might end up getting more of them than you which could hinder your own development. They get very upset if you don't give them those three but if they're weak enough who cares.

(in reply to qqqqqq666)
Post #: 19
RE: *really* stupid question - 8/31/2011 9:25:26 PM   
tjhkkr

Can you MANUAL order that these items be traded. I have often seen that we are or are not trading these items, and I have had the question asked in a dialogue, but can we in some way order that we trade whatever luxury items we have?

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 20
RE: *really* stupid question - 9/1/2011 8:28:48 AM   
Data

aside from that checkbox in the diplomacy screen (which applies only for the korabian, zentabia and loros btw) we have no other option.
We have the trade agreement and mutual defense pact which boost the revenue from trade and the embargo which can cut it off but nothing more granular than that. Trade is pretty much outside our control, just like the civilian sector in general.

< Message edited by Data -- 9/1/2011 8:33:16 AM >

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 21
RE: *really* stupid question - 9/6/2011 7:23:06 PM   
alarikf

Ok, next in the series of stupid questions:

1) If I tell two or more exploration ships at the same location to "explore all systems in quadrant XX" is the AI smart enough to have them go to different systems? Or will they both go to the same places? I seem to have a lot of exploration ships being built at the same time, and want to use them effeciently...
2) Can I set some message option so that I am informed when a space monster or pirates are sighted? I hate discovering that a space monster is hanging out...I mean, if my space pilots discovered a giant kaltor a few solar systems away, that sounds pretty important, no? :)
3) When I get a message "Pirates are attacking base XXX" isn't there a way to send a fleet to attack the pirates? I have a fleet ready, but the orders that come up (with right-click) don't include "attack enemy" - just things like refuel, etc... seems a bit silly.

thanks!

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 22
RE: *really* stupid question - 9/7/2011 8:26:02 AM   
Data

1) They will start with the same targets but after a while they get smarter and choose different locations. We've signaled that the auto exploration needs more fine tuning, atm if you spam lots of them (like I do) they will eventually get the job done but it's still better if this is improved.

2) Atm you get the warning when they attack you....which may be too late. Also, considering the amount of stuff that takes place in the DW universe you are bound to miss some of them....or pause a lot. Not sure if anyone of us requested yet this early warning system, you can wishlist it so that Elliot can consider it. I think it's a good idea.

3) That one is tricky, given how many targets we have we'd have a mile long list. In the ROTS expansion the sidebar has the option to send a fleet to attack a particular (or close by) target. You right click on the target and the closest fleet will attack it iirc. This would be good for pirates as well, not sure if it can be done now tbh.
If not, wishlist this as well...this is even a better idea than the previous one.

(in reply to alarikf)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> *really* stupid question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI