Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Latest news...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Latest news... Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Latest news... - 8/27/2011 11:21:07 AM   
ASHBERY76

I hope leaders and admirals have some sort of personality traits like in the Totalwar games,just having flat stats like wargames and EU3 has is very dull.I would also like to see the Admiral name in the fleet UI as that screenshot does not have one.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 61
RE: Latest news... - 8/27/2011 11:53:55 AM   
Igard

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

I hope leaders and admirals have some sort of personality traits like in the Totalwar games,just having flat stats like wargames and EU3 has is very dull.I would also like to see the Admiral name in the fleet UI as that screenshot does not have one.

Yes, give our characters some 'character'. Make them more than just assets. Make us actually care about them.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 62
RE: Latest news... - 8/27/2011 11:59:26 AM   
Data

Care enough to make beards for them

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 63
RE: Latest news... - 8/27/2011 2:43:20 PM   
Igard

I was just wondering about something. How do we all feel about having a portrait for each character? I know the total wars games pull this off really well, but could the same thing be done here? With a new artist coming on board, this might be something worth considering.

Or, does this really matter? I'm not sure if it does to me TBH. For modding purposes, it presents some problems. I'm not sure if it's worth the effort.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 64
RE: Latest news... - 8/27/2011 2:44:57 PM   
Data

imho it's worth it only if that portrait can be used for skill management somehow....kinda like in rpg games. Aside from that it's just eye candy.

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 65
RE: Latest news... - 8/27/2011 2:57:23 PM   
adecoy95

portraits are fun, doesn't need to be too many per race, if you can customize the picture.

but its not a huge deal breaker for me, does not really effect game play

< Message edited by adecoy95 -- 8/27/2011 2:59:32 PM >

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 66
RE: Latest news... - 8/27/2011 7:57:15 PM   
nammafia

Yes, characters without traits, personalities are dull and bring the game down. I hope they implement a few of the suggestions in the wish list. I here hope characters assassination and defection are allowed. Rebellious characters are also fun. I really hate 100% royal characters.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 67
RE: Latest news... - 8/27/2011 8:08:02 PM   
Sithuk

Data: I recall the polls had the ability to mod/tweak the game as the number 1 request.

Question 1) How do you feel about the game devs adding extra features instead of focusing on dumping all the game stats/variables into an easily edited external file?
Question 2) How late do you think the devs can wait before the opportunity to interest the most skilled modders is lost?

The expansion after next will likely be ten to twelve months off. I fear the window will be closed and the more skilled/dedicated modders will have moved on.

Modding topped the poll for this next expansion. The ability to mod the newly added characters and governments has been mentioned.
Question 3) (to game dev) Will any of the existing game variables be exported to easily edited files in the next expansion?

(in reply to nammafia)
Post #: 68
RE: Latest news... - 8/27/2011 8:20:05 PM   
ASHBERY76

To be honest I would never buy an expansion that did not have lots of new gameplay features.This community is too small for modders in my view.One needs a Totalwar size community to make mods worth it.SpaceEmpires5 was totally open for modders to do total conversions but you never saw anything done with it.

I think that Elliot does not want to open up the game anyway,that is pretty clear by now.

(in reply to Sithuk)
Post #: 69
RE: Latest news... - 8/27/2011 8:20:10 PM   
Zakhal

quote:

I do not like the idea of culture or having loads of population giving any increase to a sphere of influence.That is an unrealistic concept without any frame of reference or basis in reality.

Indeed. I think it depends on both type of culture and size of population. Look at china for intance. It didnt make much of influence for hundreds of years even though they had huge population. But I remember that it was like part of their culture to mind their own business only. In example they had the means to sail the seas before columbus even but didnt really bother with it. And then some small country like portugal goes and takes it all.

Only lately has china started to expand their border of influence. Ive heard they have som projects in east-africa.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 8/27/2011 8:22:50 PM >

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 70
RE: Latest news... - 8/27/2011 8:23:21 PM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zakhal

quote:

I do not like the idea of culture or having loads of population giving any increase to a sphere of influence.That is an unrealistic concept without any frame of reference or basis in reality.

Indeed. I think it depends on both culture and size of population. Look at china for intance. It didnt make much of influence for hundreds of years even though they had huge population. But I remember that it was like part of their culture to mind their own business only. In example they had the means the sail the seas before columbus even but didnt really bother to do it. And then some small country like portugal goes and takes it all.

Indeed I hate gamey systems just added for no realistic reason.Things have to make sence in games or you lose the immersion.Kinda like a culture spacestation parked by Earth would convert it to an Alien empire,yeah right.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 71
RE: Latest news... - 8/28/2011 12:25:41 AM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard
I was just wondering about something. How do we all feel about having a portrait for each character? I know the total wars games pull this off really well, but could the same thing be done here? With a new artist coming on board, this might be something worth considering.
Or, does this really matter? I'm not sure if it does to me TBH. For modding purposes, it presents some problems. I'm not sure if it's worth the effort.

Personally, I would enjoy this... but is it necessary like you ask?
Really the question on the table is: how many portraits would you have to have??? It would depend on how many different characters you have. If you have 5 Admirals, 5 Scientists, 5 Generals, 5 Spies... that could end up to be a whole lotta portraits.
Multiply that for each race!!!!

Might be a resource hog... diskspace wise that is

I really like the idea, but it would be a HUGE undertaking.
Of course, not so hard for US to mod...

< Message edited by tjhkkr -- 8/28/2011 12:29:33 AM >

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 72
RE: Latest news... - 8/28/2011 7:13:25 AM   
Data

quote:

Data: I recall the polls had the ability to mod/tweak the game as the number 1 request.

Yap, that was my first vote....as the mooniac that I am I really want to see good / well designed characters in the game.

(in reply to Sithuk)
Post #: 73
RE: Latest news... - 8/28/2011 3:26:41 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

quote:

Really the question on the table is: how many portraits would you have to have??? It would depend on how many different characters you have. If you have 5 Admirals, 5 Scientists, 5 Generals, 5 Spies... that could end up to be a whole lotta portraits.

If nothing else it would be nice to have at least two, 1 male generic and 1 female generic for each race. Just saying.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 74
RE: Latest news... - 8/28/2011 5:56:07 PM   
Harmonious Hegemony

I have to disagree with ASHBERY76's comment about mods for SEV. IMHO, Cap'n Kwok's Balance Mod saved the game. One good mod can really make a difference, and I think that based on many of the comments that appear in this forum most can imagine a place for a really good mod in DW as well. The hardest part is to find someone who has the time, imagination and dedication to put in all the effort that it requires.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 75
RE: Latest news... - 8/28/2011 6:39:12 PM   
Data

I would say time is the only problem but imagination and dedication? So many names spring to mind.

(in reply to Harmonious Hegemony)
Post #: 76
RE: Latest news... - 8/28/2011 9:04:52 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7
quote:

quote:

If nothing else it would be nice to have at least two, 1 male generic and 1 female generic for each race. Just saying.

Shark: Now that is an excellent idea... give us two generic (and then adding to your idea) but leave it open to add a few more!

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 77
RE: Latest news... - 8/28/2011 9:05:42 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Data
I would say time is the only problem but imagination and dedication? So many names spring to mind.

I agree, there are many talented people on this forum...

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 78
RE: Latest news... - 8/28/2011 11:07:52 PM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

Pictures a Dhayut with a blonde wig.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 79
RE: Latest news... - 8/29/2011 12:37:51 AM   
Shark7

quote:

quote:

Pictures a Dhayut with a blonde wig.

Isn't that just a Dhayut spy?

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 80
RE: Latest news... - 8/29/2011 6:37:12 AM   
Facedrop

Perhaps if only the generic ones were added in the beginning, more could simply be patched in over time?

< Message edited by Facedrop -- 8/29/2011 10:36:46 AM >

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 81
RE: Latest news... - 8/29/2011 7:05:25 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Facedrop

Perhaps if only the generic ones were added in the begging, more could simply be patched in over time?

If coded right, the structure could be made to support as many as a player wants to add. Its just a matter of how Elliot goes about it. It would be like the ship families, you could add in a structure for character pictures that allows a number range of 1 through whatever, or even be grouped such as Character_01a through Character_01z for a single family folder.

We'll just have to wait and see what is done.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Facedrop)
Post #: 82
RE: Latest news... - 8/29/2011 10:15:14 AM   
Simulation01

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Facedrop

Perhaps if only the generic ones were added in the begging, more could simply be patched in over time?

If coded right, the structure could be made to support as many as a player wants to add. Its just a matter of how Elliot goes about it. It would be like the ship families, you could add in a structure for character pictures that allows a number range of 1 through whatever, or even be grouped such as Character_01a through Character_01z for a single family folder.

We'll just have to wait and see what is done.

That could have been done for the initial race pictures too, but it wasn't. There is very little that is race specific. I think that he is concerned with bringing conceptual changes and features....not a depth of graphical content for it's own sake or for the delight of a few forum denizens ( me included ). He may also not have the resources. Wasn't something said to the effect that the guy/company that created the initial ship images was busy or otherwise engaged.

"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 83
RE: Latest news... - 8/29/2011 10:58:16 AM   
Data

Yap, that's why they're looking for one here.

(in reply to Simulation01)
Post #: 84
RE: Latest news... - 8/30/2011 5:52:55 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

I think that Elliot does not want to open up the game anyway, that is pretty clear by now.

Maybe, maybe not... I think the platform is now relatively stable. I think the next release will show what direction we are heading in.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 85
RE: Latest news... - 8/30/2011 5:57:56 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: nammafia
Yes, characters without traits, personalities are dull and bring the game down. I hope they implement a few of the suggestions in the wish list. I here hope characters assassination and defection are allowed. Rebellious characters are also fun. I really hate 100% royal characters.

Yes, I agree... Now there are characters that I would not want to have the ability to defect.
At least in the Star Wars universe, there are characters that would always be loyal, and I presume that is true in the Star Trek universe as well... at least so long as they are not assimilated by the Borg... But in truth, I think certain attributes in the Borg would be difficult to model.
There was the ability to defect in the Rebellion platform, but the developers did not use it. When I was able to edit the characters, I did implement it and shockingly enough, the game system could handle it, so I do not know why it was not used.

(in reply to nammafia)
Post #: 86
RE: Latest news... - 8/31/2011 12:40:07 AM   
nammafia

Yes, I agree. Defection should not be easy. I also like to have missions and scenario within the game like this:

"My Lord! One of your CHARACTERS is defecting. We should send a fleet to intercept the traitor."

"My Lord! A fleet of alien empire is awaiting the traitor. We should prepare to attack." --> This will not lead to war, just diplomacy hit.

"My Lord! A CHARACTER from THIS EMPIRE would like to defect. Should we send a ship to THIS COORD to welcome the CHARACTER? We also detect an alien ship in pursue of the defector" --> no war if ships engage in combat, diplomacy hit. Characters can be taken back for trial and public execution.

This is fun.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 87
RE: Latest news... - 8/31/2011 5:19:57 AM   
tjhkkr

quote:

Yes, I agree. Defection should not be easy. I also like to have missions and scenario within the game like this:
"My Lord! One of your CHARACTERS is defecting. We should send a fleet to intercept the traitor."
"My Lord! A fleet of alien empire is awaiting the traitor. We should prepare to attack." --> This will not lead to war, just diplomacy hit.
"My Lord! A CHARACTER from THIS EMPIRE would like to defect. Should we send a ship to THIS COORD to welcome the CHARACTER? We also detect an alien ship in pursue of the defector" --> no war if ships engage in combat, diplomacy hit. Characters can be taken back for trial and public execution.
This is fun.

Excellent notion!
I still think that they should be able to get out without that, that would give your internal counter-espionage guys something to do... but yes, I could see that happening, and it would be cool.
OR Captain, one of our intelligence operatives is being pursued and asks for a rendezvous...
Kind of reminds me of the ST:TNG 3rd Season story: the defector... Admiral Aladale Jerrock

(in reply to nammafia)
Post #: 88
RE: Latest news... - 8/31/2011 8:06:21 AM   
Data

When it comes to rping the potential is huge. You're making me drool over the perspectives

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 89
RE: Latest news... - 8/31/2011 5:47:56 PM   
Shark7

quote:

quote:

Yes, I agree... Now there are characters that I would not want to have the ability to defect.
At least in the Star Wars universe, there are characters that would always be loyal, and I presume that is true in the Star Trek universe as well... at least so long as they are not assimilated by the Borg... But in truth, I think certain attributes in the Borg would be difficult to model.
There was the ability to defect in the Rebellion platform, but the developers did not use it. When I was able to edit the characters, I did implement it and shockingly enough, the game system could handle it, so I do not know why it was not used.

Simply needs a loyalty trait added. If loyalty is 150 in game terms, no chance of defection, 135-149 is a very low chance of defection (No more than 1-5%), etc. Once you get down to loyalty 50, you get a 50/50 chance they will defect.

Loyalty could be bolstered by an 'Indoctrination' research tech, available about halfway through the high tech research table. The government techs would be prerequisites of course.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Latest news... Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI