Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Review of WITP:AE

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Review of WITP:AE Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Review of WITP:AE - 8/31/2011 2:41:09 AM   
Riva Ridge

http://night-misfit-toys.typepad.com/blog/2011/08/review-gary-grigsbys-war-in-the-pacific.html

I don't post much here but I thought I would share this review that I put up of WITP:AE on my Blog. It is near 8 years after I first started playing but hey, I really like this game! Given the professional circles that I belong too, I thought there would be some interest in this game and doing my part to getting some new blood interested.

Regards

RR
Post #: 1
RE: Review of WITP:AE - 8/31/2011 2:48:30 AM   
Blackhorse

Very nice. Thanks for posting.

Btw, why is your blog called "Night of the Misfit Toys"? Great name, is there a story behind it?

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

(in reply to Riva Ridge)
Post #: 2
RE: Review of WITP:AE - 8/31/2011 2:58:03 AM   
Riva Ridge

There is kind of a story. My last posting before the school house was as a Battalion Executive Officer and I use to threaten my Staff Officers by telling them I was going to banish them to the Island of Misfit Toys. When I last got back from Afghanistan, I thought about the quote as I was watching Toy Story 3 with the kids and thought it would be a good blog name.

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 3
RE: Review of WITP:AE - 8/31/2011 3:48:01 AM   
ilovestrategy

I love the picture on your blog page. I cannot stop laughing!

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Riva Ridge)
Post #: 4
RE: Review of WITP:AE - 8/31/2011 4:04:35 AM   
Riva Ridge

Thanks, I change it every so often but I happen to like this one. It is from the movie 'Dogma'. Recommend you check it out.[/quote]

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 5
RE: Review of WITP:AE - 8/31/2011 5:32:40 AM   
witpqs

Very nice! Quite a recommended reading list, too. Anyone who gets through all that is serious about learning in their profession.

BTW, yellow on black is tough on the eyes. White on black isn't really a whole lot better. I know you're trying to make it stand out. I suggest looking at it (a preview or something) in black text on white background and then experimenting from there to find some combo that's just about as easy on the eyes.

(in reply to Riva Ridge)
Post #: 6
RE: Review of WITP:AE - 8/31/2011 10:11:44 AM   
n01487477

Interesting review. Felt myself wanting to know more about the 2 games you've played.

If I had a slight criticism it would be that you make no differentiation between the original and Admiral's Ed. I'm still not sure which game you're reviewing.

And for new purchasers maybe they wouldn't understand either ... they are very different beasts now.

Cheers

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 7
RE: Review of WITP:AE - 8/31/2011 2:08:55 PM   
Riva Ridge

witpqs, thanks for the commentary and the reading list was something that I recently posted. I had to pick 20 books so I picked books that I have read that have covered an array of topics rather than specialized matters. As far as the blog layout, it is a grand debate and I am constantly changing it. It is funny because the original incarnation of the blog actually was white with dark blue lettering and had complaints to go black background with white lettering. I will relook to see if there is a better solution that the black and yellow.

no1487477, I am open to answer questions on either game. I ought to write a summary AAR at some point of the first game. I do acknowledge the point about original vs admirals ed. The first game was played under the original and the current long-term game I am playing is under AE. Given that this interview is meant for someone coming at the game for the first time, I thought it would be confusing to state the difference. I would have to look at the website but I am not sure you can buy the first WITP anymore but I could be wrong. I was just assuming that people would gravitate towards the AE option as presented.

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 8
RE: Review of WITP:AE - 8/31/2011 11:00:25 PM   
Riva Ridge

Thanks all for the huge boost to my personal website and setting the one day traffic record. Between the link here and another site that I linked this review too, I had 370 views of a single article blowing a previous record out of the water and setting a new record. You guys rock! Hope you come back to the Blog for other posts!

(in reply to Riva Ridge)
Post #: 9
RE: Review of WITP:AE - 9/1/2011 12:34:52 AM   
Cruiser87

Read the review yesterday and got around to the book list today. 

I've read several on the list, but won't read the economics book (got the degree :) ).  I'll definitely look into several others though.

Thanks for sharing!

(in reply to Riva Ridge)
Post #: 10
RE: Review of WITP:AE - 9/1/2011 6:35:57 AM   
Pascal_slith

Hey, liked the review. Just enough to give a taste and want to know more.

Definitely agree that the AI is pretty easy to beat (I've never lost against it, which ended up being boring; playing humans is much more challenging and fun).

Just a note: there are a few grammatical mistakes in the text. Try putting it in Word and it will probably pick them up.

I would also have mentioned the very active forum here.

So much WitP and so little time to play.... :-(

(in reply to Cruiser87)
Post #: 11
RE: Review of WITP:AE - 9/1/2011 8:22:44 AM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Very nice! Quite a recommended reading list, too. Anyone who gets through all that is serious about learning in their profession.

BTW, yellow on black is tough on the eyes. White on black isn't really a whole lot better. I know you're trying to make it stand out. I suggest looking at it (a preview or something) in black text on white background and then experimenting from there to find some combo that's just about as easy on the eyes.

Long time ago in computer terms, experts came up with yellow on blue as being the easiest on the eye but that was the days of 640x480 and no graphical user interface (Window etc).

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Review of WITP:AE Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI