Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Modder's Masterlist

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: The Modder's Masterlist Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Modder's Masterlist - 5/5/2011 4:33:54 AM   
torrenal

Some things I'd like to see for modding:
An ability to designate items in the economy.
An ability to designate tech that allows (perhaps costly or slow) conversion between two different items.
eg: Ocean world XYZ has water.
With "Mass Electrolysis Tech", they can break down water into Oxygen, and Hydrogen (oh hey look! Fuel!).

(Of course, it'd be really really neat if economies also treated currency as an item -- transforming the economy into a true barter-capable economy... but that gets at ugly questions like "what is the value of a Dollar")
//Torrenal

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 151
RE: The Modder's Masterlist - 8/8/2011 8:31:25 AM   
RHoenig

Copied from the master wishlist (after a hint from Data)

As far as I understand it, there is a single file, that holds all ships names, the game uses.
Would it be possible to have several (many) different files, that I could select one at games start?

Say, I want to play a human "Romans in space" race, so I can select a shipnames file with names like Mars, Juppiter, Agrippa, Legionarii and so on.

This would give the ability to chose between different themes for the ships names.

"Tell the King: After the battle my head is at his disposal, during the battle he may allow me to use it!
GenLt. Seydlitz to Frederik the Great after disobeying an order to attack

R. Hoenig, Germany

(in reply to torrenal)
Post #: 152
RE: Modders Wishlist - 8/10/2011 8:28:56 PM   
Sonic

Greetings! Here such offer - to reduce speed of space engines to give to flights realness. I think that moving between systems occupies not enough time in this connection, speed of expansion of the nations increases... Also I would lower that of growth of populations, except insects, and would add more than planetary events - a plague, earthquake and other... However, I don't know, whether it is possible - I am not familiar with a game code.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 153
RE: Modders Wishlist - 8/10/2011 9:08:31 PM   
Data

Hi Sonic and welcome to the forum. This is not something that can be modded atm so better post it on the general wishlist; btw, the slower hyperspeed request has been made before and already implemented in ROTS, in vanilla DW ships were even faster

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Sonic)
Post #: 154
RE: Modders Wishlist - 8/10/2011 10:19:11 PM   
Igard

Hi Sonic welcome to the forum. You're from the USSR? Well,it's nice to have a time traveller here with us. Don't mind me, I'm not from this planet at all!

You can tweak the hyperdrive speed by changing the Startup.ini file located in the games main directory. I think it goes from about 0.8 to 2.0. You'd have to play with it a bit to figure it out, because I'm afraid I just can't remember. I didn't like the effect of changing it. Was either too fast or too slow, but maybe you'll find a good balance for yourself.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 155
RE: Modders Wishlist - 8/10/2011 11:52:44 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sonic

Greetings! Here such offer - to reduce speed of space engines to give to flights realness. I think that moving between systems occupies not enough time in this connection, speed of expansion of the nations increases... Also I would lower that of growth of populations, except insects, and would add more than planetary events - a plague, earthquake and other... However, I don't know, whether it is possible - I am not familiar with a game code.

Plagues, Earthquakes, Volcanoes, comet/meteor strikes...all things I'd love to be able to script, or have happen randomly.

Mini-stories within the main story would be extremely awesome, and how you handle it will affect happiness and reputation...example:

Advisor Badnews informs you that an extremely virulent plague has broken out on planet X. Our health officials have already placed a planetary quarantine in effect to prevent the spread. We have three options, we can do nothing and see if the emergency passes, we can sink all of our research (at a cost of 1 million credits) into finding a cure, or we can simply bombard the planet to prevent infected persons from breaking the quarantine and spreading the disease through the galaxy. What is your choice?

• Do nothing. -costs you nothing, has a mild negative effect on empire happiness
  • Research. - costs you 1 million credits, you can do no other research until it completes, has postive effect on happiness, and eventually give you a cure that returns the colony to its previous productiveness, and increases your galactic reputation.
  • Bombard. -annihilates all possible disease vectors, decreases happiness, negative reputation, costs nothing

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Sonic)
Post #: 156
RE: Modders Wishlist - 8/10/2011 11:58:32 PM   
Sonic

Well, I have understood. Thanks.
I will download that of fashions if that - itself I will try
Oh, it is a pity that game is difficult for editing...

Shark7, I would try to create a medicine, but before it is necessary to enter quarantine to prevent infection distribution...

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 157
RE: The Modder's Masterlist - 8/31/2011 6:55:16 PM   
Jounk33

My big concern, planets in conjunction with the races.
I find the whole concept is a disaster.
Point 1:
You should set concrete which planetclasses can be colonized by a race. E.g. Ocean Planet and marsh Planet, swamp and desert planet and Continentalplanet. So far it is only possible up to 2 class of planets to colonize and is always the Continentalplanet with it, this means that Continentalplanets are somewhat overrated.
Point 2:
There is no reason why all the planets classes for all races have the same quality.
If a race has an ice planet as homeworld, then this race have, for a newly discovered ice planet, exactly the same poor quality as a race that's homeplanet is a desertwolrd.
In addition of that, the balance of the game suffers.
Iceplanets has over the galaxy no better quality than 40%. Races that Colonize only on ice and then Continetalplanets can have a major disadvantage compared to the races who can Colonize desert planet, because they have very more quality.
Point 3:
I have also always the question why a planet has just this quality, it would be much better when determining gravity, temperature and atmosphere if a race can colonize the planet or not. But that is no more concern for the modders wish list, but it is just a logical and gamefriendly interaction between racial differences and the planets.

For me, this is really a dark spot for DW. Actually, you can not modify the game to do anything big, if not even a race has the possibility to change the way you want. It is currently limited by this lack from the outset rather.

So my wishes:
- We should not only set the homeworld for a race, but also much more, which planetclases can colonize by which race, without restriction. Even gasplanets and rockyplanets should be possible, then the imagination of modders would be no limits.
- The planetclasses should have different qualities for each race and not ONE quality for all races. So we can adjust in "races.txt" how a race tolerates a planets environment.

< Message edited by Jounk33 -- 8/31/2011 6:58:21 PM >

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 158
RE: The Modder's Masterlist - 8/31/2011 9:57:50 PM   
Igard

Added section 1L. Define what planet types are colonisable by each race and their respective quality.

That's great Jounk. I've added that to the masterlist.

(in reply to Jounk33)
Post #: 159
RE: The Modder's Masterlist - 9/1/2011 8:24:49 AM   
Data

woot, woot, new section....how thick will it be in the end?

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 160
RE: The Modder's Masterlist - 9/14/2011 11:48:53 PM   
Cykur

I always wanted to be able to mod the resource model and construction requirements. DW has this fabulous economic simulation happening, but for the most part once you get access to a resource, you have enough of it. You just have to wait for it to get carted around for new spaceports on fringe worlds.

It would be nice to see a progressive model where resources were a bit more of a limiting factor for key technologies without completely shutting down your entire economy. Where you could make the cheaper ship modules out of the more readily available stuff, but advanced techs required specific more rare materials.

There is a little bit of that going on in DW, but more often I found that if you ran out of something, it could just completely shut down your economy because there is so much overlap with how the materials are used.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 161
RE: The Modder's Masterlist - 9/15/2011 7:03:03 AM   
Data

Not sure how easy will this be to mod, better post it in the general wishlist as well. Once we have it in the game it would be indeed great if we could mod it as well.

(in reply to Cykur)
Post #: 162
RE: The Modder's Masterlist - 12/11/2011 12:54:08 PM   
Nedrear

Something that itched me since I first modded a race:

We got negative skills with the characters, but why can't we apply negative values ot the race characteristics?

It would help me make my races more individualistic if I could reduce the mining rate by 10% or if I could make them pay extra for ships and troops if they are a sea race, fighting on continental worlds or elsewhere- since its only 1 of X planet types I would increase the cost in general and argue as they need to get the equipment and train for it anyway.

One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 163
RE: The Modder's Masterlist - 12/11/2011 1:36:24 PM   
feelotraveller

Ability to mod government types.

If already asked for (too lazy to read entire thread) put me down for +1.

Edit: To make clear, I want to be able to change the bonuses governments give.

< Message edited by feelotraveller -- 12/14/2011 6:22:20 AM >

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 164
RE: The Modder's Masterlist - 12/12/2011 10:07:39 AM   
Nedrear

Since I am modding the general features of races more seriously now, I will collect all things I am bothered with:

1. No negative values for race effects like mining rate or trade income. Characters can have them, so the game seems to support it already. Just add it.
2. Limited amount of ressource effects (I would like to combine "mined at" and "present" in two different ways while maintaining boni through special breweries etc. For that I need more than 3 slots!)
3. Deciding if a character can die and his age and rough life expectancy... dieing is important.
4. More event choices in case of characters and populations... for example you can gain traits, but not lose them in an event? Why not let a character die in a race event? I can create races that would get rid of old for new...  there is a lot of space.
5. More event slots for races...

Why ask for all that? Let's just say my races are extremly individualistic and I would like to make them that way ingame too. If I have to scratch race characteristics because I can't put the necessary events in or anything similiar is bad.

< Message edited by Nedrear -- 12/12/2011 10:09:13 AM >

One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 165
RE: Modders Wishlist - 1/4/2012 12:22:02 PM   
Arcatus

A current flag doesn't do what you would expect:

Expanding        ;Y/N

Sure, it stops the empire from using colonizers but it also enables the characteristics used by the ancient guardian race.
Instead of this flag I propose to break it up into the functions that is now indirectly enabled by this toggle:

"Expanding Y/N" - Should only do what it is supposed to - prevent the empire from using colonizers and troops to acquire new planets.
"Isolationists Y/N" - the race does not migrate to other empires worlds, but can still travel between their own worlds (currently the expanding flag disables all population transports. The transports are not even used to relocate populations)
"Influence factor 0.5 - 2" - Reduces or increases the size of influence spheres
"Pirates can copy designs Y/N" - Prevents pirates from copying and using this race designs

If a flag is still needed to enable other minor "behind the scenes" functions for the Ancient protectors, then it should be called "Ancient Protector Y/N"  

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 166
RE: Modders Wishlist - 1/17/2012 6:51:04 PM   
Arkblade

character files "Appearance order" expand.
if you use "?" instead of number. that character Appearance order is randomly change when each game started.

You can change the characters to immortal.
They don't die. but when placed in the die situation, they take injured or MIA and can't be used a while.

can add races & character description. and that add to galactopedia.

< Message edited by Arkblade -- 1/18/2012 3:36:16 AM >

(in reply to Arcatus)
Post #: 167
RE: Modders Wishlist - 1/18/2012 3:40:48 AM   
Arkblade

Moddable galactopedia.
you can add/delete category/topic.

(in reply to Arkblade)
Post #: 168
RE: Modders Wishlist - 1/18/2012 2:01:57 PM   
Kalthaniell

Just one question

Since some of the modding possibilities from the wishlist were implemented in Legends, shouldn't they be taken off the list??? Or am I missing something?

(in reply to Arkblade)
Post #: 169
RE: Modders Wishlist - 1/19/2012 12:38:47 AM   
Arkblade

random characters can use random portraits.
(that random portraits can be defined by race)
and provided gender to the names and random portraits.

can define "reappear".
When a character with this flag is removed from the game,
he putting to last(or random) "Appearance order".
and can reappear in the games. (any number of times)

predefined and random hybrid.
if you use "?" instead of number/text.(appearance order, name, portraits, skill, trait)
that value is randomly change when each game started.
(More precisely, each time when they appear in the game)

< Message edited by Arkblade -- 1/19/2012 12:39:52 AM >

(in reply to Kalthaniell)
Post #: 170
RE: Modders Wishlist - 1/20/2012 1:21:13 AM   
Igard

Updated for Legends!

Removed several sections that have now been implemented in Legends.

Altered section 1a. Ability to set a race's homeworld to ALWAYS be it's starting homeworld. My pet hate is starting each game with some random home system.

Added section 1e. Negative values for race stats.

Altered section 1g. Pre-space/Pre-industrial civilizations. I replaced 'Space Ogres' with this. Just makes things more clear I think.

Added section 8c. More resource slots.

Added section 8d. More resource effects.

Added section 10d. More Events.

Added section 10e. More Event Slots.

Added section 1k. Fix the Expanding Y/N flag.

Added section 19b. Character files Appearance order.

Added section 19c. Character Status. [Arkblade suggested making characters immortal, but I think that could be addressed better with the life expectancy characteristic, previously suggested. However, the idea of a char being injured, or MIA for a period of time, is a good one.]

Added section 9c. Galactopedia Character descriptions.

Added section 19d. Random Portraits.

Added section 19e. Re-appearing Characters.

Added section 19f. Ability to Enter Random stats.

(in reply to Arkblade)
Post #: 171
RE: Modders Wishlist - 1/20/2012 4:32:05 AM   
Arkblade

thx for adding to the list.

new suggestion.

- increase the limit number of races/ship families/flags/characters.

they increase to the 128/256/512...
if possible to infinity, is better.

-adding to more color to the flags.
can select from web safe colors.
also if can use #RRGGBB like format, is better.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 172
RE: Modders Wishlist - 1/22/2012 1:59:16 AM   
Arkblade

- can make an absolute leader.
He does not lose the leader position.
coup can't happen. and always win the election.
but War and the assassination, also life affects him.
(if he is not immortal)

- Multiple Dialogs.
can define Multiple Dialogs for one situation.

< Message edited by Arkblade -- 1/22/2012 7:04:23 AM >

(in reply to Arkblade)
Post #: 173
RE: Modders Wishlist - 1/23/2012 12:04:57 AM   
Igard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arkblade

new suggestion.

- increase the limit number of races/ship families/flags/characters.

they increase to the 128/256/512...
if possible to infinity, is better.

It is valid, but I wouldn't worry about this too much. Elliot always seems to push the game to it's limits by adding more races. I expect he'll continue to do so.

Appended section 1f. A different image format for Race Flags.

Added section 19g. Absolute leadership.

Added section 1l. Multiple Dialogs. (EEK! And I'm having trouble enough writing dialogue for all the situations we have already!!)

Arhggg! After writing that, I can't remember the idea I came here to add!

(in reply to Arkblade)
Post #: 174
RE: Modders Wishlist - 1/23/2012 3:17:31 PM   
Harry2

quote:

Would this not be applicable only to non-democratic type governments?

The whole idea of an empire leader in DW is a bit puzzling to me. If there is a Leader, then what is the Player? The faceless powerful group that holds the real power behind the politicians that we all suspect exists?

(in reply to Arkblade)
Post #: 175
RE: Modders Wishlist - 1/23/2012 8:44:02 PM   
Arkblade

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry2

quote:

The whole idea of an empire leader in DW is a bit puzzling to me. If there is a Leader, then what is the Player? The faceless powerful group that holds the real power behind the politicians that we all suspect exists?

I assume political form for both.(democratic and non-democratic)
and should be Optional.
It is for people like you that want to change a game design.
or devised for such races. (Borg Queen)
and for Hero of the story. you can play DW as a character-driven games a little.
(like japanese strategy games. these hero characters can't purge from games without "dramatic story event" )

Thus I am writing to Modders Wishlist.

(in reply to Harry2)
Post #: 176
RE: Modders Wishlist - 5/26/2012 3:58:22 AM   
MartialDoctor

Basically, I want to make refined products more expensive (e.g. making ships and stations more expensive), increasing maintenance costs for research labs and manufacturing plants, and decreasing the value of diplomatic trading of technologies, disputed stations, and wars.

So, I'm hoping that these things can be moddable in the near future. It would make for some great mods, I feel!

(in reply to Arkblade)
Post #: 177
RE: Modders Wishlist - 5/26/2012 4:41:01 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry2

quote:

Actually it is quite applicable to democratic forms of government. One good example is a constitutional monarchy, where the king or queen (a leader, just with very limited powers) is a hereditary, for life position. Meanwhile, the actual business of running the country is done by the elected parliament and prime minister (bet yall figured out what a good example is by now) .

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Harry2)
Post #: 178
RE: Modders Wishlist - 5/26/2012 4:42:56 PM   
Shark7

As always, my expanded economy is on my wishlist: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3101641

Figured it would be easier to just link to it as opposed to typing it all out again.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 179
RE: Modders Wishlist - 5/30/2012 8:22:12 PM   
rogerbacon51

I'd like the ability to sort by more than one column. Currently you can sort by any one column but when you try to sort by a second one it forgets the sorting of teh first one. It would be nice to be able to sort by ship type, and then by location or whatever. Adding the ability to hold down shift key and have multiple levels of sorting would help in navigating the spreadseet-like data charts a lot.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: The Modder's Masterlist Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI