Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Latest news...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Latest news... Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Latest news... - 8/31/2011 10:07:05 PM   
ASHBERY76

I do not think a Human Admiral commanding a fleet would suddenly defect to another Alien Empire just because he is pissed off.A civil war situation within an empire or an Alien leader in your Human Empire would be more realistic in my view.

Some details about the leader system would be nice.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 91
RE: Latest news... - 9/1/2011 4:56:20 PM   
nammafia

Yes, we would like to have something on the leader system to gnaw and debate. Please Erik, make it so. Just one sentence is enough for now.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 92
RE: Latest news... - 9/2/2011 4:28:26 AM   
ehsumrell1

Concerning portrait files for characters, as long as png file format is used instead of jpeg,
a number of character portraits should be able to be used. Remember when Igard and others
enhanced the 10 different planet type images? At least on my system, even when I used all
of the enhanced ones I did not see a major use of resources. Although the game load time
at start up was slightly longer.

I can see my research levels increasing tenfold with one of Dr. Jekyll's descendents involved!

Attachment (1)

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to nammafia)
Post #: 93
RE: Latest news... - 9/2/2011 6:43:54 AM   
samspackman

I thought there would be 'more information in September'? Well, it's September and no new information!

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 94
RE: Latest news... - 9/2/2011 8:00:53 AM   
Data

It just began, you hungry pack of wolves
So, any news yet?

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to samspackman)
Post #: 95
RE: Latest news... - 9/2/2011 8:14:19 AM   
vince0018

There's a 99% chance I'm gonna buy the next expansion and I don't even know what's in it yet.
Though please fix the lag in the game.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 96
RE: Latest news... - 9/2/2011 10:56:35 AM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

ORIGINAL: vince0018

There's a 99% chance I'm gonna buy the next expansion and I don't even know what's in it yet.
Though please fix the lag in the game.

Elliot is not going to supply a better CPU as part of the expansion.

< Message edited by ASHBERY76 -- 9/2/2011 10:57:01 AM >

(in reply to vince0018)
Post #: 97
RE: Latest news... - 9/2/2011 11:35:06 AM   
vince0018

Lol

You're talking to someone who runs Shogun 2 on ultra with 40fps

< Message edited by vince0018 -- 9/2/2011 11:42:37 AM >

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 98
RE: Latest news... - 9/2/2011 11:40:15 AM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

Lol

You're talking to someone who runs Shogun 2 on ultra with 50fps

DW does not use the GPU at all.It is all CPU.

(in reply to vince0018)
Post #: 99
RE: Latest news... - 9/2/2011 11:50:24 AM   
Simulation01

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

quote:

Lol

You're talking to someone who runs Shogun 2 on ultra with 50fps

DW does not use the GPU at all.It is all CPU.

Thats....... Well...... Strange to me.

"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 100
RE: Latest news... - 9/2/2011 12:07:19 PM   
vince0018

Sure.
But I still don't see how being zoomed into a sun on Distant Worlds would be using up so
much CPU that it causes such a framerate drop. Or even worse being zoomed into a gas cloud.

edit:
I was trying to use FRAPS to record the framerate but for some reason it's not working for DW.
But another example is Star Ruler which I can run equal size or larger galaxies in full 3D as well as rotate and
zoom around all parts of the galaxy with no lag.

However that game is far inferior to DW so I will stick with this one anyways.

< Message edited by vince0018 -- 9/2/2011 12:14:29 PM >

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 101
RE: Latest news... - 9/2/2011 12:31:22 PM   
ASHBERY76

It is tracking all those freighters in DW that causes the lag in mid to late game from my experience on larger map sizes.The game needs to be balanced for less but more expensive freighters with more space for goods in the expansion pack in my view.

(in reply to vince0018)
Post #: 102
RE: Latest news... - 9/2/2011 1:24:03 PM   
vince0018

Hmm, I haven't had a chance to get too far in the game yet to have that many freighters.
But the lag I'm having happens even if the games paused, when zooming in and out of large objects such
as gas clouds, or even just zoomed into a gas cloud the game slows down. Also if there are lots of
objects on screen I get lag. Also when zoomed out on the galactic map the game slows to a crawl.

If I stay away from gas clouds or other huge objects like suns I'm usually ok.
But if there's a battle happening in a gas cloud and I want to watch it I have to endure my eyes
burning. lol.

It almost seems like the more surface area of images there are the more the game slows down for me. If I could
somehow do a video to show you I would.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 103
RE: Latest news... - 9/2/2011 1:55:56 PM   
Data

fraps?
there are many others, some freeware

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to vince0018)
Post #: 104
RE: Latest news... - 9/2/2011 2:48:02 PM   
Shark7

quote:

Hmm, I haven't had a chance to get too far in the game yet to have that many freighters.
But the lag I'm having happens even if the games paused, when zooming in and out of large objects such
as gas clouds, or even just zoomed into a gas cloud the game slows down. Also if there are lots of
objects on screen I get lag. Also when zoomed out on the galactic map the game slows to a crawl.

If I stay away from gas clouds or other huge objects like suns I'm usually ok.
But if there's a battle happening in a gas cloud and I want to watch it I have to endure my eyes
burning. lol.

It almost seems like the more surface area of images there are the more the game slows down for me. If I could
somehow do a video to show you I would.

It's a graphics bottleneck most likely. Big battles will do it to mine.

What's your CPU, GPU, RAM and VideoRAM? If any of those is minimum or not much above it, it would have an effect.

I've got an I-7 core with 12 gb of RAM and 1 gb of VideoRAM through a Geforce GTS250, and I'm easily able to play 1400 star galaxies with 30 empires...though I will get slowdowns when there is a lot of stuff moving around on the screen (I turn off visual display of civvie ships on the galaxy map and turn down starfield density for improved performance).

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to vince0018)
Post #: 105
RE: Latest news... - 9/2/2011 3:40:06 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76
It is tracking all those freighters in DW that causes the lag in mid to late game from my experience on larger map sizes.The game needs to be balanced for less but more expensive freighters with more space for goods in the expansion pack in my view.

If we do that I hope we arm them... mine already get shot up when the local trouble maker wants to start a war...

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 106
RE: Latest news... - 9/2/2011 3:46:16 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi guys,

Let's start a separate thread on the performance optimization questions. Vince, there is some good advice on the tech support forum for that as well. Have you tried turning down some of the graphics settings, like the system nebula graphics, setting a fixed frame rate, changing star density, adjusting the settings for which ships are displayed at which zoom level? Please start a new thread if you need more help with this.

Back to the expansion, I can announce that the official name for this release is "Distant Worlds: Legends". We will also be starting the contest for the new Space Creature shortly, so get your proposals ready!

Also, here's something from one of the design documents, as always what you see here may differ from the final game as we are still working on getting to beta. We expect to be able to start the internal beta test within a week or two.

Faction Differences and Victory Conditions

Victory Value: A new game concept, which creates a value from all the chosen victory conditions. This is active once the faction-specific victory conditions are turned on. Each faction has a set of victory conditions that contribute to this value. The faction with the highest total victory value is considered the winner.

Faction-Specific Victory Condition: Defines what contributes to the faction-specific victory value for each faction. Should be visible to all players unless noted as hidden. Each victory condition is listed with a percentage that it contributes to the faction-specific victory value total. Some are binary, but most should contribute some part of their potential total value depending on how the faction is progressing towards that goal.

Faction-Specific Resource Bonuses: The critical resources for each faction offer different bonuses, rather than all contributing to the same bonus. Each of the colonies of the faction that earns these bonuses uses a quantity of each resource each month in order to maintain the bonus, so without either external or local replenishment, the resources will eventually be consumed and the bonus (or bonuses) will end.

Faction-Specific Events: Support for minor unique storyline events for each faction.

Faction-Specific Rules: Suggestions for new rules to make each faction more unique.

Here's are a couple of examples, you can guess which factions each applies to:

Victory Conditions:

1. 25%: Exterminate or Enslave more population of other factions than any other faction in the galaxy

2. 25%: Own the largest Capital Ship

3. 25%: Be the least technologically advanced faction

4. 25%: Build the Universal Hive

5. 25%: Keep your Leader alive – this condition starts as fulfilled and is set to 0 if the xxxx Leader is ever killed.

6. 25%: Earn Trade and Tourism income from other factions

7. 25%: Lose fewer ships than any other single faction

8. 25%: Do not break treaties, unless they are first broken by others.

9. 25%: Have the most experienced General and Admiral

10. 25%: Destroy more Sand Slugs than any other faction

11. 25%: Be the first to explore more systems and locations than any other faction

Events:

1. Warrior Wave: +10% to Troop Strength and -20% to Troop Recruitment time for the next year

2. Security Concerns: One random xxxx character is eliminated and replaced by a new Espionage Agent.

3. Natural Harmony: A random continental planet controlled by the xxxx gains one point of quality
Rules:

4. Never Surrender: After each year of war, there is a chance that xxxx war weariness will be decreased by a random amount up to 50% to reflect the tenacity of the xxxx.

5. Isolationists: A small chance each year that the “first contact” penalty to diplomacy will be increased or restored to its full level.

6. Lucky: Each time a disaster event should happen to a xxxx colony, there is a 50% chance that it will not happen after all.

7. Death Cult: A random xxxx colony with a non-xxxx population changes its policy to Exterminate for the next year.

8. Migration: Small chance each year that the xxxx Capitol moves to a different colony, as long as there is more than one world with at least 500 million xxxx.

9. Cannibalism: During the last month of each change cycle, the xxxx become so crazed that they consume each other, leading to a brief period of negative population growth but even higher aggressiveness.

10. Xenophobia: For the next year, the “Assimilate” option is not available to the xxxx as an immigration policy choice.

11. Creative Re-engineering: A small chance that increases with the number of xxxx. A High Tech/Industrial technology that is currently being researched receives the benefits of a “crash research project” until it is complete.

Resource Bonuses:

1. Nepthys Wine: +5% Happiness on each colony with access to this resource

2. Aculon: +5% to Troop Strength (when recruited) on each colony with access to this resource

3. Megallos Nut: +10% Reproduction Rate on each colony with access to this resource

4. Wiconium: -5% War Weariness for each colony with access to this resource

Rules:

1. Scientist characters should be more likely to have a Construction research bonus

2. Desert and Volcanic Colonization requires 50% more research than normal

3. Significantly more difficult to assimilate, increased unhappiness when part of a colony that is not part of a xxxx-ruled faction

4. xxxx receive an additional cumulative bonus of +10% to any research directed to the colonization branch

5. Much more likely to generate Generals

6. Ambassadors start off with the “Linguist” trait which increases their diplomacy bonus

7. Underground Spaceyards: Spaceports have +10% to total Armor strength.

8. xxxx colonies that have non-xxxx races with a policy set to exterminate will increase their population growth on that colony by +10% until no alien colonists remain.

9. Undersea Tunnels: Good chance to avoid natural disasters on Ocean planets

10. Start with knowledge of two unique locations of galactic history, rather than one

11. Disallowed tech should be "Space Commerce"

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 9/3/2011 12:53:03 AM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 107
RE: Latest news... - 9/2/2011 4:01:46 PM   
adecoy95

looks awesome, will all luxury resources have a bonus like that?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 108
RE: Latest news... - 9/2/2011 4:34:59 PM   
dazoline II

7. Death Cult: A random xxxx colony with a non-xxxx population changes its policy to Exterminate for the next year.

Looks like we can wipe out the citizens of a colony once we take it over. Great, no more bugs!

Moscow by winter? Only if you send Fast Heinz to Kiev.

(in reply to adecoy95)
Post #: 109
RE: Latest news... - 9/2/2011 4:38:20 PM   
Data

Wow, so many things to dig into and I just have to leave from the office. Darn it.
Natural disasters on ocean planets....ok, I'll stop since I'll only end up pasting the entire post from Erik all over again.

(in reply to adecoy95)
Post #: 110
RE: Latest news... - 9/2/2011 4:57:31 PM   
Shark7

I see many, many things I like.

Factions: Interesting since this word is used and not races or species. One wonders where this will lead.

Exterminate, Enslave, Assimilate are all mentioned...this can only mean one thing...conquer/migration policies. No more bugs in my empire!

Random Events! Random Events! RANDOM EVENTS!!!!

Many types of leaders, with specific bonuses.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 111
RE: Latest news... - 9/2/2011 4:59:52 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Data

Wow, so many things to dig into and I just have to leave from the office. Darn it.
Natural disasters on ocean planets....ok, I'll stop since I'll only end up pasting the entire post from Erik all over again.

Emperor, I have bad news...

Some crazed naturalist opposing our utilization of the Ocean planet Oceana has pulled the giant stopper plug out at the bottom of the ocean...the planet is now a barren desert since all the water drained into the planet's core...

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 112
RE: Latest news... - 9/2/2011 6:48:53 PM   
Data

Call the master pipeman, reverse the spill....locate those underwater tunnels

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 113
RE: Latest news... - 9/2/2011 7:40:48 PM   
ehsumrell1

Nicely planned Erik! Can't wait to leave the Briar Patch for this mission!

< Message edited by ehsumrell1 -- 9/2/2011 7:41:15 PM >

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 114
RE: Latest news... - 9/2/2011 7:48:36 PM   
ASHBERY76

Some good stuff there.Racial policies,events,a sim galaxy leader system.etc.

I am not understanding this

"Megallos Nut: +10% Reproduction Rate on each colony with access to this resource"

Why would eating nuts do this? Seems a bit random.Natarran Incense would be better suited.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 115
RE: Latest news... - 9/2/2011 9:52:00 PM   
tjhkkr

Thank you, Erik!

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 116
RE: Latest news... - 9/2/2011 9:56:38 PM   
Data

That's nasty of you, Ash
And why would nuts not help with this?

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 117
RE: Latest news... - 9/2/2011 10:35:12 PM   
Igard

Lots of great looking stuff here!

Alot to digest. I think I'm most excited by the prospect of having unique things for each empire. This is a big step forward IMO.

Some really fun victory conditions there. Good job whoever thought up those.

One thing is really bothering me though and perhaps I'm just not understanding properly...

Random characters eliminated and replaced by an espionage agent? Not sure if I like the sound of that one. If I understand correctly, it's basically one of your advisors telling you that they have security concerns and will replace your greatest general with a new spy? Why would I run my empire like this? Sorry, I don't get it.

I think the trick of random events is that these are things that happen outside of our control as galactic overlords. We still need an element of choice with how our empire is run. Don't make these things random chance.

All in all, looking really good. This has got me really stoked! Can't wait to play this now!

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 118
RE: Latest news... - 9/2/2011 10:44:54 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard
Random characters eliminated and replaced by an espionage agent? Not sure if I like the sound of that one. If I understand correctly, it's basically one of your advisors telling you that they have security concerns and will replace your greatest general with a new spy? Why would I run my empire like this? Sorry, I don't get it.

Maybe he means that one of your guys like a general or a scientist is a traitor and reports back to some other empire. You know, like the KGB or the CIA or any of the other infernal intelligence services like the Romulan... what are those guys called... umm umm umm oh yeah, Tal Shiar might turn another sovereign nation's person...

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 119
RE: Latest news... - 9/2/2011 10:48:21 PM   
tjhkkr

Who knows, the Orions might turn a certain Android...

Sorry Data, I just think that picture and that Episode was cool!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by tjhkkr -- 9/2/2011 10:49:19 PM >

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Latest news... Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI