Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

next newbie question.....Sea Supply

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> The War Room >> next newbie question.....Sea Supply Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
next newbie question.....Sea Supply - 9/8/2011 7:09:11 PM   
Limelight

I had 3 overseas spots that needed Supply. Total requested by those spots was 305 and I had 2 Cargo ships in my Supreme HQ (200 supply possible for each, 400 total right?)

Each spot got exactly 1/2 what it had requested (152 total). I lost no supply due to enemy interdiction. Plenty of Supply stocked up in my Supreme HQ, so that wasn't the issue.

What am I missing?
Post #: 1
RE: next newbie question.....Sea Supply - 9/8/2011 8:37:50 PM   
Keunert

cargo ship won't help you with this as far as i know. i guess you have ports on all continents? and your hq is in full supply range of this port?

(in reply to Limelight)
Post #: 2
RE: next newbie question.....Sea Supply - 9/8/2011 8:55:19 PM   
Limelight

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keunert

cargo ship won't help you with this as far as i know.

Hmm, The in game info on them says they count as an 'HQ'....wonder in what form they mean that. If cargo ships don't auto help with overseas supply - that means I have to manually load them and move them every turn? yikes.

quote:

i guess you have ports on all continents?

Yes - all sites I am discussing are cities on coasts (on the same ocean).

quote:

and your hq is in full supply range of this port?

Well no...there is a body of water in the way. One site is only 7 hexes away. How do I get it 'green' if not with Cargo Ships in the supplying HQ?

(in reply to Keunert)
Post #: 3
RE: next newbie question.....Sea Supply - 9/8/2011 10:48:42 PM   
Keunert

no as far as i know the supplies go overseas as long as there are ports and no interception. you don't need ships. i don't know about range penalties.

(in reply to Limelight)
Post #: 4
RE: next newbie question.....Sea Supply - 9/8/2011 11:00:31 PM   
RufusTFirefly

A city does not automatically have a port. That might be the reason why cargo ships dont transfer supplies.

You are right, cargo ships trasnport supply automatically. Normally you dont have to load and transport manually. And in case the supply transport is not sufficiant you can transport by using the transfer function (red arrow) to transfer supply between two HQs just like you would transfer SFTs between an HQ and a unit somewhere else.

(in reply to Keunert)
Post #: 5
RE: next newbie question.....Sea Supply - 9/9/2011 4:07:33 PM   
Josh

Hmm, it was my understanding that each city on a coastline automatically acts as a port? And cargo ships aren't needed for supplies at all, as far as I know, it all goes automatically. Unless you want to move it manually *then* you need cargoships the same as you need them for strategically moving troops across the ocean.

@Limelight; what do you mean by "spots" that can't get enough supply? Units? It might be that the harbour/city is damaged, thereby lowering the supply. Or, when the unit is subordinate to another HQ (not the SHQ) that is on another continent, then that unit won't get any supply too. That's the problem with an invading force as well, you need to transport them all at the same time, otherwise those left behind are considered to be out of supply. (for instance when their HQ is on a ship).

(in reply to RufusTFirefly)
Post #: 6
RE: next newbie question.....Sea Supply - 9/9/2011 9:29:33 PM   
Limelight

Josh, Appreciate the questions - made me think it thru again :)

The 3 Spots =

1) A single unit (20 Rifles - HQ is Supreme) on a coastal city of a 3 hex island. The unit is 7 sea hexes away from the Supreme HQ (also in a coastal city) that has 2 Cargo Ships in it. Using the Supply Overlay, the hex is a dark color (blue or black, don't rem atm). How do I get it to Green? Did just capture the city (was neutral), so it is 'damaged'. Does that stop it from being able to be 'in the green' supply-wise?

If so, I guess the solution would be to make sure I take a crapload of supply for an HQ depot and be forced to make a HQ just for that one unit/city?

2 & 3) Are similar but both on a main continent landmass across about 10-15 ocean hexes. Both of these Coastal Cities have HQ's in them that are under the Supreme. Although it (the SHQ) is on another continent (in a coastal city), I thought it would supply across water thru the ports since I have cargo ships.

It may boil down to the new 'ports' being damaged - never even thought of that being an issue. Guess I need to include some Engineers for hasty repairs (is that possible?) in my Naval Land Grab Forces lol.

Time to start up another water map and test this - thanks!

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 7
RE: next newbie question.....Sea Supply - 9/10/2011 10:34:54 AM   
Josh

1) the city you just conquered is 100% damaged, I think you receive supply accordingly, so that ain't much the first few turns. The city autorepairs itself ( you can check that out by clicking on the "location" tab under the minimap, located in your upper right screen). No need to build an extra HQ there. However... once your opponent, or the AI, has ships and intercepts your supply line ( a major pain in the ...) then it can be a good idea to do just that, build an additional HQ in that city overseas, you can then set that city subordinate to the new HQ. So the new HQ won't receive any supplies from the SHQ because it's selfdependent now (when creating that new HQ just press "escape" when asked for what SHQ that new HQ should  have, HQ's or even new units do not necessarily need an HQ), therefore no supplies can be intercepted.

2&3 same answer, conquered cities need time to autorepair. No, engineers can't aid you in that... anymore, since uhm a few patches ago. However, you can always sent some additional engineers to build an extra "port", and put the new HQ in that hex (so it will receive full supply), and only some Inf in the newly taken city to defend it.

I notice you haven't met with any enemy subs wreaking havoc on your supply lines yet.  hehehe. This always reminds me of the German Africa Korps, extremely low on oil and gas... 5 Oil tankers are sent from Italy and only one arrives...

(in reply to Limelight)
Post #: 8
RE: next newbie question.....Sea Supply - 9/10/2011 2:25:15 PM   
Limelight

Okay cool- least I finally figured out what I was missing in that...Damaged City. Much better than having to manually supply like I was worried about.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 9
RE: next newbie question.....Sea Supply - 9/10/2011 7:41:29 PM   
RufusTFirefly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Josh

Hmm, it was my understanding that each city on a coastline automatically acts as a port? And cargo ships aren't needed for supplies at all, as far as I know, it all goes automatically. Unless you want to move it manually *then* you need cargoships the same as you need them for strategically moving troops across the ocean.

Yes, you are right. I mixed up randam game and scenarios I actually play where a city does not automatically works as a port.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 10
RE: next newbie question.....Sea Supply - 9/10/2011 7:44:48 PM   
RufusTFirefly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Josh

I notice you haven't met with any enemy subs wreaking havoc on your supply lines yet.  hehehe. This always reminds me of the German Africa Korps, extremely low on oil and gas... 5 Oil tankers are sent from Italy and only one arrives...

Or think of the Malta convoys. Malta was nearly down to its knees when at least a convoy with a tanker managed to reach the save harbour.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> The War Room >> next newbie question.....Sea Supply Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI