Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Your X-factor of 4X games

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Your X-factor of 4X games Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Your X-factor of 4X games - 9/24/2011 2:47:15 PM   
Webbco

While I'm eagerly awaiting an update from Erik, I've been looking for games similar to Distant Worlds on the interweb and I can't say I'm overly impressed with what there is on offer for a genre that, for me at least, has so much potential.

So whilst doing some food shopping I was thinking about what are my personal "requirements" that need to be met in order to create my ideal 4X space game, the "X-factor(s)" if you will. I also looked at how DW faired against my requirements!

These are some of my thoughts:

1) A universe that is alive, but where there is attention to detail. For example, planets have distinct characteristics and bonuses but also with flaws. The Star Wars universe has always struck me as a good a example - from the bustling metropolis of Coruscant where VIPs and dignitaries come and go, to Tatooine where humble moisture farmers try to scratch out a living. Each planet has different forms of life that need to be taken into account if and when the planet is invaded. Randomly generated galaxies probably don't add to immersion in this way as each planet is just another place to colonise and loosing one to the enemy doesn't feel like a big deal.

2) True exploration: I would love it if, when I build and send out an exploration vessel, I genuinely have no idea what I'm going to find. Strange creatures that only inhabit distant worlds, new undiscovered elements that could be researched over years to yield amazing finds, stuff that is simply not recorded on a galactopedia so I can be surprised throughout the game.

3) Expanded empire building: I've said it before many times on these forums but to interact some way with colonies on the planet surface would be great. If a colony was built by a certain race, I'd love to see how the style of the structures differ from those of another race. I want to build strategic defences on the planet surface, E.g. like the Rebel base during the Battle of Hoth...although better than their defences (Imperium Galactica 2 almost got this right for me!). To actually see a stationed garrison of troops and vehicles would make my day! (it's the little things )

4) Establishing Trade routes etc: Although I think it's a great idea, especially on such a large scale as DW, dividing stuff into public and private sector comes with some issues. I think a major part of a 4X game is actually planning effective/efficient trade and transport routes for haulers etc. E.g. If you know there is a thick storm nebula between a rare resource and your home colony, you could chart a safer path around the nebula, or build some buoys that help the transports navigate through it. Maybe an option to "Intervene with Private Sector" might be a good idea. This could also be the case for Passenger vessels - it could make things a lot more fun!

Anyway, these are some of my personal thoughts. It probably won't be the same for you guys, so what is the X-factor (or X-factors) for you?
Post #: 1
RE: Your X-factor of 4X games - 9/24/2011 3:22:57 PM   
Shark7

1. Expanded Logistics: I'm talking not just you need this resource to make this planet happy, but rather you need this resource to make widgets, and then transport the widgets to make people happy. It wouldn't have to be tracked down to every can of beans or lava lamp, but rather a broad category of 'Basic Necessities', 'Luxury Goods', etc. Basically just another step in the process.

2. A mini game for the ground invasion component could be fun (IE: Imperium Galactica 2), but it would likely have to pause the space portion of the game for a player to be able to handle it.

3. A trading market (IE Imperium Galactica 2) where I can both buy and sell goods. Not just resources (very handy if you need some that you are out of), but ships as well.

4. Expanded in depth diplomacy: A very intricate diplomacy system that gives you the nuances of the UN (as an example). The diplomacy should be a minigame in itself.

5. Random story lines not related to the main story: just something you can pursue to keep busy...again right out of Imperium Galactica 2.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 2
RE: Your X-factor of 4X games - 9/24/2011 6:02:44 PM   
Simulation01

I always liked the 3d interactive worlds in Spore.  That is the kind of planet system I want in a 4x game.  you zoom in on the surface which flattens out from space and you can see the cities and bases as well as the garrisons and fight RTS on the planet.  Basically I like 4x RTS a great deal.  I had high expectations for spore, but they were dashed against the rocks and de-brained.  Truly customizeable ships...in terms of hull configuration like spore or SOTS.

Also, I want diplomacy on steroids.  The ability to negotiate treaty's with multiple nations at the same time between all of you.  The ability to create grand alliances like NATO and the Warsaw Pact.  The ability to limit weapons and ships by treaty.  Lend lease agreements....gifting ships and weapons.  The ability to create terrorist groups to strike at your enemy from behind a veil of lies like Pakistan and India in Kashmir. 

These are just a few of my favorite things.

"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 3
RE: Your X-factor of 4X games - 9/25/2011 4:25:46 AM   
Facedrop

A few things i look for in a 4X game, off the top of my head would be.

No two galaxy's play out the same, I really enjoy seeing a game unfolding in a completely different way to the previous galaxy i played.

Wow moments, Playing a game with a randomly generated Galaxy and finding something that makes you pause and admire it.

Minor story arcs are also something I love to find in a game, hopefully these will be implemented in DW.

(in reply to Simulation01)
Post #: 4
RE: Your X-factor of 4X games - 9/25/2011 8:34:11 AM   
Data

quote:

Wow moments, Playing a game with a randomly generated Galaxy and finding something that makes you pause and admire it.

that's a definite must have for me as well

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Facedrop)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Your X-factor of 4X games Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI