Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Visibility of Damaged Rails

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> TOAW III Support >> Visibility of Damaged Rails Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Visibility of Damaged Rails - 9/27/2011 8:35:39 PM   
AndyH

I am playing the 'Gotterdammerung' scenario and a minor irritation is that I can't tell by looking at the map where railroads are broken/damaged. The only way I can tell if a railroad is broken is either by hovering over the hex (rather time consuming as this is a very large map), or by trying to run a train over it and being stopped dead.

My question: is this a bug or a feature? In other words: should I be able to tell by looking at the map whether a railroad is intact or broken, or is there some kind of 'fog of war' thing going on here?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: Visibility of Damaged Rails - 9/27/2011 9:44:46 PM   
Curtis Lemay

There is a different tile for broken vs. operational rail lines. (Dashed vs. continuous). Do you have a screenshot of what you're seeing?

(in reply to AndyH)
Post #: 2
RE: Visibility of Damaged Rails - 9/27/2011 10:35:05 PM   
Panama

Some people use edited rail graphics that have different colors for broken vs operational rail.

(in reply to AndyH)
Post #: 3
RE: Visibility of Damaged Rails - 9/28/2011 6:24:44 PM   
ogar

AndyH,

I've had a similar problem, and what worked for me was using some of the customized graphics. I'm using png for the most part. The damaged rail tile works okay, but to replace the undamaged tile, I used Silvanski's mod -- it is a bmp, but it works fine. And it's a clear difference. (I also use Telumar's damaged bridge tile - even I cannot miss that damaged bridge.)

Here's a link to the graphic mods thread -- you can find the links to Telu's and Sil's pages from there, if you want.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1161658

As always with graphics mods -- BACK UP your Graphics and AltGraphics directories first. And label/annotate what you change/when -- do not be an ogar and then return a month later to wonder and guess.
One other thing I do when trying out mods, is select which tiles I want to use, and copy those into the Scenario's own sub-directory in the Graphics directory -- that way I can use 1 or 2 scenarios as a test case. Later on, I decide about whether to make a global change by replacing a tile in the AltGrpahics directory or not.

HTH

(in reply to AndyH)
Post #: 4
RE: Visibility of Damaged Rails - 9/28/2011 8:54:06 PM   
AndyH

Thanks for all your replies.  I looked more carefully at the map last night and there is in fact a slight difference between the graphics for intact and broken railroads; in the graphics set for this scenario they are each a slightly different shade of reddish-brown!  They were just a little hard to distinguish in the heat of battle.

Ogar: thanks for your suggestions and advice concerning graphics mods for this.  Sounds a good idea; I'll take a look at that link.

Now I just need to set my rail repair units clearing a 3 week backlog in Eastern Poland!

(in reply to ogar)
Post #: 5
RE: Visibility of Damaged Rails - 9/29/2011 7:04:28 PM   
Anchovy

Thanks for the links that have graphic mods.

I have noticed that the type of computer display makes a difference. For example, I used to run ACOW on my old PC. It has old, bulky CRT screen. Because it is quite bright, I can tolerate viewing the default graphics for the most part. There are few exceptions: The default border, road, railroad, air/naval base graphics need to stand out lot more and I ended up downloading some mods to address these issues.

Fast forward, I have recently installed TOAW III on my new laptop. Unlike the old CRT screen, the laptop's LCD display is not as bright, which means I am less happy with the default graphics now. One of the things I did right away was to copy the modified border, road, railroad, air/naval base graphics from the old PC to the new laptop. Now I am looking for graphic mods to sort out other tiles that needs to be tweaked.

(in reply to AndyH)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> TOAW III Support >> Visibility of Damaged Rails Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI