Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Latest Beta patch

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Latest Beta patch Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Latest Beta patch - 9/30/2011 7:05:00 PM   
steamboateng

I'm about to start a new Dec.8 Campaign.
However, Im at a loss wether to start it with the latest Beta patch which michaelm has worked so hard on.
No date for an 'official' patch yet, but I'd like to take addvatage of the new features Michael has put up.
Should I wait; starting a game with the present '6i' patch, or go for the Beta? Your opinion.

Post #: 1
RE: Latest Beta patch - 9/30/2011 7:34:02 PM   
witpqs

Definitely use the Beta, and upgrade as newer Betas come out.

(in reply to steamboateng)
Post #: 2
RE: Latest Beta patch - 9/30/2011 7:51:56 PM   
DivePac88

Yes Agreed... I would use the latest beta. Which is very stable, and I am using in two PBEM games with no problems.

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3
RE: Latest Beta patch - 9/30/2011 11:13:55 PM   
JeffroK

Ive waited to use the beta, working well PLUS some other goodies need you to be at the latest beta

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 4
RE: Latest Beta patch - 9/30/2011 11:43:08 PM   
zuluhour

Beta, no doubt

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 5
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/1/2011 4:59:03 PM   
bush

Where is it located for download?

Thanks!

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 6
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/1/2011 6:11:06 PM   
Numdydar

Under tech support. You cannot miss the thread lol.

(in reply to bush)
Post #: 7
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/1/2011 6:31:16 PM   
steamboateng

OK, I've downloaded and installed the 1108q patch. I've even figured out how to get it to run full screen. Because my computer's cpu is an i7, quad core, I set up the game to run w/the -cpu3 -multiaudio -dd-sw options, I also set it up to run the -altFont, as it's much easier on these tired eyes.
Now that I got the game to run the way I want, I fully expect, with the help of Nimitz, Halsey, Sruance and gang, to run the Yellow menace back to the land of Nippon in no time at all!!!!
Thanks all, for your input.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 8
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/2/2011 5:34:13 PM   
steamboateng

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

Ive waited to use the beta, working well PLUS some other goodies need you to be at the latest beta

What other goodies would you reccomend?

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 9
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/2/2011 6:21:51 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: steamboateng

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

What other goodies would you reccomend?

What a loaded question!

Well, for starters you simply must look at DaBabes scenarios. If you are playing as Allies then you should be able to use them against the AI. Any that won't support the AI will be noted in the write up on the web site. There are so many improvements in DaBabes over the basic scenario that covering them here is a bit much. AFAIK they are discussed in the descriptions on the web site. Ground units re-worked, ships' guns, and on and on.

Next, the 'c' variant of DaBabes has the cargo carrying capacity of many ships reduced. This is done to bring the scenario closer to the historical demands on shipping. Try as they might there are just many people and things not represented in the game (eventually they would require a computer the size of the earth to run the thing, eh?). So this change compensates for that.

Next, 'they' have worked up a new pwhex file that, in concert with the latest Beta, provides limits of a sort on the number of troops that can be supported in the various terrain types - stacking limits. It does this by penalizing supply, similar to the method already used for small islands. Too many troops = supply penalty. Way too many troops = massive, unsustainable supply penalty.

Next, there is also a modified map for DaBabes, with some nice improvement in certain areas. This is integrated with the stacking limits just mentioned.

Next, Andrew Brown has made some modifications to the map & pwhex also, which are also integrated with those noted above. Some of this is pretty recent, so check DaBabes threads to make sure they finished ironing out the kinks. For example Andrew's latest changes modified the area between Aden and Abadan to put the route between the two on-map (and therefore vulnerable). That slightly moved the hex coordinates of those two bases, and DaBabes had to be modified for that.

Once you look at the added realism corrections/additions in DaBabes you would have to be dragged kicking and screaming back to the basic scenarios.

Post #: 10
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/2/2011 7:13:03 PM   
steamboateng

witpqs, while I've had the colloquialism'loaded' applied to my person, on a few (hic) occasions. It's the first time I've had it applied to my questions!!
I always appreciate your input, though often I'm not steeped enough in the game's mechanics to always understand your points. It's you and the other developers that have prodded me to look deeper into the game.
I know you have been working hard on DaBabes for some time now. However, I've avoided it until such time as I could get a grasp on the basic game, which is plenty complicated as it stands.
I don't know that I've got the basics down enough to tackle DaBabes, at this point. But it certainly has been at the back of my mind.

I'm going to investigate your mod right now, though it will probably be a difficult task today; I got football on the TV (Pittsburg Steelers vs Houston Texans......a hellovagame!), the forums on the computer, and a refrigerator full of beer (life IS good), and I fear that oversensory whateveritscalled will further complicate an overcoplicated day!

I'm off to the Google button (one more time!).

Regards

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 11
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/2/2011 8:25:39 PM   
witpqs

Oops - I'm not an AE developer nor Babes developer (nor have I played one on TV but that sounds like it would be fun!).

There really isn't much extra to take on board with Babes, just that 'Shore Party' will sometimes show up on the base screen when some of the squads present have that characteristic. And it is Shore Party that helps load and unload ships faster, not Naval Support as in basic scenarios. Naval Support is still very important for all the other stuff (repairs, rearming). Most of the changes they have made just move stuff closer to reality so you can enjoy without learning new rules.

I also plum forgot to include the web site link, didn't mean to make you go searching!

https://sites.google.com/site/dababeswitpae

I believe JWE has put links to Andrew's new map stuff there. If not I will find it.

Post #: 12
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/3/2011 3:24:39 AM   
steamboateng

Sorry, witpqs, for some reason I confused you with JWE. Pobably because I had one eye on the football game and the other on the forums.
I found the DaBabes website and tagged it.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 13
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/3/2011 8:52:02 AM   
Reg

Are you using the updated artwork?? They are just eye candy (but oh so pretty) which work just fine with the standard scenarios. They only affect the display on your machine and don't affect the underlying game or PBEM.

See: AE artmod sampler

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

Post #: 14
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/3/2011 1:42:50 PM   
dr.hal

Witpqs, does this "https://sites.google.com/site/dababeswitpae" work with the latest beta and can you upload and use it in the middle of a PBEM game? Thoughts?

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 15
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/3/2011 3:08:09 PM   
Shark7

Use the beta, it is stable, and has a lot of nice features not available in the official patch.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 16
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/3/2011 5:03:33 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

Witpqs, does this "https://sites.google.com/site/dababeswitpae" work with the latest beta and can you upload and use it in the middle of a PBEM game? Thoughts?

You can not change scenarios in the middle of a game, because the scenario is the game you chose to start! As far as the Beta goes, yes you should only use the Beta (and latest at that) with DaBabes.

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 17
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/3/2011 5:27:56 PM   
bk19@mweb.co.za

quote:

<snip> ... to run the Yellow menace back to the land of Nippon in no time at all!!!!

その男の平手打ちを与える

スラップ

Post #: 18
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/3/2011 5:37:42 PM   
steamboateng

quote:

ORIGINAL: bk19@mweb.co.za

quote:

<snip> ... to run the Yellow menace back to the land of Nippon in no time at all!!!!

‚»‚Ì’j‚Ì•½Žè‘Å‚¿‚ð—^‚¦‚é

ƒXƒ‰ƒbƒv

I take it this a comment regarding my blatent political incorrectness!

(in reply to bk19@mweb.co.za)
Post #: 19
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/3/2011 5:41:30 PM   
bk19@mweb.co.za

Hell no!!!

Just an average response from a Japanese player......

You might want to refer to Google Translate and perform a bit of reverse engineering!!!!

Edit:

I should emphasise: Japanese side, not Japanese by descent/race et al.

< Message edited by bk19@mweb.co.za -- 10/3/2011 5:42:36 PM >

Post #: 20
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/3/2011 5:58:21 PM   
steamboateng

In the spirit of the game, I understand, though I still don't know what it means.
Apparantly a Nipponese ploy to confuse my OODA thingy.............!

(in reply to bk19@mweb.co.za)
Post #: 21
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/3/2011 6:00:13 PM   
Shark7

quote:

In the spirit of the game, I understand, though I still don't know what it means.

I believe you have been issued a challenge the old fashioned way...with a slap.

Unless I got the translation wrong.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Post #: 22
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/3/2011 6:14:59 PM   
bk19@mweb.co.za

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

quote:

I believe you have been issued a challenge the old fashioned way...with a slap.

Unless I got the translation wrong.

The translation is sound.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 23
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/3/2011 6:29:12 PM   
steamboateng

Yes, Mr. Google says it means "give that guy a slap".
Obviously he means to sail Yamato and Musashi into Los Angeles harbor, to serve up sushi and rice!
Us 'Mom and Apple Pie' guys aren't buying that!

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 24
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/3/2011 10:09:58 PM   
steamboateng

I have looked at the artwork referenced. I am contemplating adding some of it. But I'll hold off 'till we get all of michaelm's Beta changes into a Matrix patch. I'm an old guy, doing so now will only make me more confuseder than I presently am.
One must be cautious of JFB ploys to obfuscate Allied technical proficiencies.

Post #: 25
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/5/2011 6:52:58 AM   
Numdydar

It's really not that hard to us the betas.

Download it from the beta thread and unzip in your AE dir

A new folder is created called 'Betas' which contains two files a new exe and a dll.

Either a) make a complete copy of the AE folder and then copy the exe and the dll to the main AE dir (overwriting the existing files). This way you will now have two AE folders, one that uses stock and one that uses the betas.

or b) Just copy the dll and exe into the AE folder which is what I do as I have no intention of going back to stock .

There has been no issues with the betas that I have had with existing games in progress, both PBEM and against the AI.

There is NO ETA of any 'official' patch by Matrix. Mater of fact, the 'betas' may NEVER be official. So you may be waiting forever and miss out on the really awesome changes that have been made to the game. You can check out the beta thread under the tech section to see all the major changes that have been made to stock.

While it is up to you to decide, I wanted to at least give you an idea of how simple it is to be able to use the betas.

Post #: 26
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/5/2011 8:34:47 AM   
Roger Neilson II

Second the comments in the last post here, the Beta is stunning in the improvements it gives. Would not go back.

3 ongoing games in PBEM, two using the BETA, much more fun that the one still using the official one.

Roger

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 27
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/5/2011 9:03:37 AM   
steamboateng

Yes, I got the Beta q6 loaded and I'm using it to set up a Dec8 campaign. I even have a separate shortcut made-up which will load updated Beta's with my own screen, cpu, and font settings. You all have been quite helpful. Thanks!

(in reply to Roger Neilson II)
Post #: 28
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/5/2011 9:29:02 AM   
byron13

Don't laugh. I'm still playing a scenario under 1.03.1102. Can I overlay all of the updates onto the game without screwing up the scenario? I recognize some of the features of the patches may not work on an existing scenario. I'm primarily concerned with the scenario being broken or not playable upon loading updates.

BTW, it should be obvious that I'm playing against AI.

< Message edited by byron13 -- 10/5/2011 9:31:39 AM >

Post #: 29
RE: Latest Beta patch - 10/5/2011 4:36:03 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: byron13

Don't laugh. I'm still playing a scenario under 1.03.1102. Can I overlay all of the updates onto the game without screwing up the scenario? I recognize some of the features of the patches may not work on an existing scenario. I'm primarily concerned with the scenario being broken or not playable upon loading updates.

BTW, it should be obvious that I'm playing against AI.

Well, AFAIK there would be two parts to it for you. First, the code should be no problem. BTW, the Beta is only code changes.

The second part is that you are also behind on 'official' updates, not just Betas. I think one or more of those had (in addition to code changes) some data changes. Those will be optional in the sense that you will be queried when you load the save game that first time.

Here is a bit of potentially useful info - when the data changes were first introduced, the code had trouble fitting some of them into ongoing games and some folks had trouble. Michael has made a bunch of fixes in that area in the Betas. So, if you want to get some of the data changes (mostly corrections), I advise that you:

- First get fully up to date with the official patches.
- Second load the latest Beta patch.
- Only then load your save game, and answer yes to any query about data changes.

Of course make sure you keep a backup copy of your save game just in case you see something really messed up and want to go back to it 'before' any data changes.

BTW, I think 1106i (which is the latest official patch) was also a 'comprehensive' patch, meaning that it included all prior patches. If I am wrong about that, you have to find the most recent official comprehensive patch and apply it, followed by the remaining official patches.

< Message edited by witpqs -- 10/5/2011 4:37:24 PM >

(in reply to byron13)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Latest Beta patch Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI