Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Creature contest: The Crystallus

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Creature contest: The Crystallus Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Creature contest: The Crystallus - 10/2/2011 10:46:14 PM   
Kalthaniell

THE CRYSTALLUS

What's a crystallus?

Crystallus is an animated electromagnetic energy moving through space rather than a living organic creature. It’s intelligence is comparable to amoeba’s. Crystallus behavior is based solely on instinctive drive to consume and multiply. The smallest and most basic of the specimens are little more than a tiny bundle of electromagnetic energy, metals and crystals the size of a chestnut. Crystallus spends it’s life in the vacuum of space by absorbing solar energy from nearby stars and minerals from asteroids and space dust. Each creature grows as it absorbs more matter and, due to it’s inorganic nature, crystallus can grow for thousands of years. This means that, given enough time, the creature can become just as big as space caltors or other similar space monsters. New crystallus is born when a tiny portion of a larger specimen breaks off. If enough electromagnetic energy is preserved in the crystal it starts to absorb solar energy and begins to live on it’s own.

How does it move around?:/

The crystallus movement speed depends on it’s electromagnetic energy field strength. It takes ages for smaller crystalluses to move from one side of a solar system to another (they are in no hurry though ;). The huge ones however can travel just as fast as any spaceship and the biggest and most ancient specimens are even capable of travelling between the solar systems in search of new mineral deposits.

What does it do?

Although Crystallus is not a predator, it still is very territorial and dangerous. When two specimens meet near a mineral source they will try to fight for it. The electromagnetic nature of the crystallus enables it to project energy bursts and energy-deflecting shields in order to deter it’s opponent from trying to take over it’s feeding territory. Although those are harmless for other crystalluses and serve only for showing off each specimen’s strength and potential, the energy bursts can be quite deadly for spaceships. Due to the similar size and electromagnetic field all spaceships project, the creature mistakes them for other crystalluses trying to challenge them for their territory and attacks as soon as they come too close.

When can it be found?

Crystallus can be often found protecting the most abundant and precious mineral asteroids of a solar system. Sometimes one can be found feeding on a debris field or even chewing on an abandoned space station. As crystalluses require solar energy to live long and prosper ;P they can be encountered only in solar systems. The more suns a system has the bigger the chance some crystalluses will be there. Although this species is quite common in more mineral abundant parts of the universe, there are still some galaxies to which the crystallus had not yet migrated. How it travels between galaxies is unclear. It is speculated that when one specimen reaches a certain size it can actually absorb an entire sun and use the newly acquired energy to travel faster and further than ordinary crystalluses. This theory has not been confirmed however.

That's how I imagine a creature that could live in space. I made this image pretty much the way I imagined it in my head. A living asteroid travelling through space absorbing any minerals or metals it encounters. The shards on the sides of the creatures could be huge chunks of magnet pulled close by the electromagnetic field. What do you folks think?

< Message edited by Kalthaniell -- 10/2/2011 10:51:19 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Creature contest: The Crystallus - 10/2/2011 10:53:33 PM   
J HG T

Oh noes! The famous crystal monster I keep reading about! 
Still, great idea!
BTW. I assume you meant that bigger and more brighter suns attract more Crystallus, not systems with more suns. Other factor is the amount of minerals in the system I guess.

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to Kalthaniell)
Post #: 2
RE: Creature contest: The Crystallus - 10/2/2011 11:52:36 PM   
Webbco

Excellent, I really like this one.

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 3
RE: Creature contest: The Crystallus - 10/2/2011 11:56:22 PM   
bigbaba

great concept. i like the part in which they mistake spaceships for other crystallus and attack them. like sharks attacking fat humans because they mistake them for beeing fat seals.:)

also the idea of sweet and slow crawling baby crystallus growing over time and getting more dangerous for a star system (absorbing the sun sounds like a supernove and death for all planets in the system).

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 4
RE: Creature contest: The Crystallus - 10/3/2011 2:16:01 AM   
tjhkkr

How does it move around?:/
The crystallus movement speed depends on it’s electromagnetic energy field strength. It takes ages for smaller crystalluses to move from one side of a solar system to another (they are in no hurry though ;). The huge ones however can travel just as fast as any spaceship and the biggest and most ancient specimens are even capable of travelling between the solar systems in search of new mineral deposits.

That is an interesting idea...
And I like the picture...

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to bigbaba)
Post #: 5
RE: Creature contest: The Crystallus - 10/3/2011 8:12:45 AM   
Data

Mois has crystalline entity flashbacks
+1

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 6
RE: Creature contest: The Crystallus - 10/3/2011 2:20:02 PM   
2guncohen

I realy like the look of this Crystallus *thumbs upp*
How doest it makes new baby's ? 

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 7
RE: Creature contest: The Crystallus - 10/3/2011 2:22:38 PM   
Kalthaniell

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2guncohen

How doest it makes new baby's ?

The answer is : spontaneously ;)

(in reply to 2guncohen)
Post #: 8
RE: Creature contest: The Crystallus - 10/3/2011 2:43:50 PM   
2guncohen

Something like this => Exploding in a screen filling light show

< Message edited by 2guncohen -- 10/3/2011 3:07:36 PM >

Post #: 9
RE: Creature contest: The Crystallus - 10/3/2011 3:24:43 PM   
Kalthaniell

quote:

Something like this => Exploding in a screen filling Orgasm

hhehehe n1 but no :P

I meant that new crystalluses are 'born' when small chunks of an older one breaks off. Usually due to random events like collisions with asteroids or rapid acceleration to high speeds when starting a travel to a new solar system. The outermost parts of the creature might lack the structural integrity of the main body but still carry the animated crystallus electromagnetic charge necessary for a new one to begin a new mineral hunt. It wouldn't happen often but than again crystalluses have time :]

The main idea behind it is that I imagined a non-organic creature should have it's own uniqe way of multiplying. It had to be random just as crystal forming process is ( not the industrial one). Plus, can you imagine two gigant asteroids humping each other?

(in reply to 2guncohen)
Post #: 10
RE: Creature contest: The Crystallus - 10/3/2011 3:43:04 PM   
2guncohen

quote:

I meant that new crystalluses are 'born' when small chunks of an older one breaks off. Usually due to random events like collisions with asteroids or rapid acceleration to high speeds when starting a travel to a new solar system. The outermost parts of the creature might lack the structural integrity of the main body but still carry the animated crystallus electromagnetic charge necessary for a new one to begin a new mineral hunt. It wouldn't happen often but than again crystalluses have time :]

The main idea behind it is that I imagined a non-organic creature should have it's own uniqe way of multiplying. It had to be random just as crystal forming process is ( not the industrial one). Plus, can you imagine two gigant asteroids humping each other?

I really like the idea, It makes it hard to kill and you have to be sure that you did a good clean up or you get stuck with more of this creatures.

About the two giant Asteroids Humping each other I can only reply : God works in mysterious ways

Post #: 11
RE: Creature contest: The Crystallus - 10/3/2011 6:04:33 PM   
LoBaron

Nice idea, could be the base for interesting additional sound effects...

Post #: 12
RE: Creature contest: The Crystallus - 10/3/2011 7:50:44 PM   
bigbaba

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kalthaniell

quote:

Something like this => Exploding in a screen filling Orgasm

hhehehe n1 but no :P

very good way to handle this delicate question. otherwise the game would be 18+.:)

Post #: 13
RE: Creature contest: The Crystallus - 10/3/2011 8:19:49 PM   
2guncohen

quote:

ORIGINAL: bigbaba

very good way to handle this delicate question. otherwise the game would be 18+.:)

Every detail had to be adressed

(in reply to bigbaba)
Post #: 14
RE: Creature contest: The Crystallus - 10/3/2011 8:21:26 PM   
MaxyGamer

Nice idea. Always did find crystals quite intriguing and very 'space-like'.

(in reply to bigbaba)
Post #: 15
RE: Creature contest: The Crystallus - 10/5/2011 7:01:17 PM   
wisky4372

Hey I hope you don't mind, but I painted this image based upon your really intriguing concept. Maybe it will help sell the creature to the devs. Either way, it was very inspiring, and highly descriptive!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MaxyGamer)
Post #: 16
RE: Creature contest: The Crystallus - 10/6/2011 12:58:36 AM   
Kalthaniell

Thx Wisky! This picture is just stunning! This Crystallus looks way better than mine and the electromagnetic field is SPECTACULAR. That's some pro skills you have man. GJ

(in reply to wisky4372)
Post #: 17
RE: Creature contest: The Crystallus - 10/6/2011 10:22:59 AM   
Data

Wow, high praise coming from Kalthaniell....great to see we attract so many talented people

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

Post #: 18
RE: Creature contest: The Crystallus - 10/6/2011 10:48:43 AM   
MaxyGamer

Scary stuff!

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 19
RE: Creature contest: The Crystallus - 10/6/2011 2:47:46 PM   
Kalthaniell

quote:

ORIGINAL: Data

Wow, high praise coming from Kalthaniell....great to see we attract so many talented people

A couple more and just think how awesome mods could be created Data ;)

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 20
RE: Creature contest: The Crystallus - 10/6/2011 2:49:48 PM   
Data

Ooo yeaaaa, good times await

Post #: 21
RE: Creature contest: The Crystallus - 10/6/2011 3:21:56 PM   
wisky4372

My pleasure man- a lot of good ideas on the forums- do you think i should illustrate a few more (if I have time)? Dont want to step on anyone's creative toes...

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 22
RE: Creature contest: The Crystallus - 10/6/2011 3:57:05 PM   
Kalthaniell

I think it would be a great idea Wisky. I'm sure ppl would certainly appreciate it. I'm really looking forward to seeing any more of your drawings

(in reply to wisky4372)
Post #: 23
RE: Creature contest: The Crystallus - 10/6/2011 4:02:48 PM   
Data

Same here, go forth and step on toes

Post #: 24
RE: Creature contest: The Crystallus - 10/10/2011 11:03:31 AM   
MartialDoctor

I like this idea.  A very well thought up creature!  Reminds me a bit of the Chenjesu from Star Control.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Creature contest: The Crystallus Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI