Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Entrenchment level vs. fortified status+AT/AP

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> TOAW III Support >> Entrenchment level vs. fortified status+AT/AP Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Entrenchment level vs. fortified status+AT/AP - 10/3/2011 8:16:46 AM   
drdru7029

Hi, there's a question that's always been bothering me. What's the difference between the 'entrenchment level' of a hex and the fortification status (defending, entrenched, fortified) of the units in that hex? Are the effects cumulative or could I just move a non-entrenched unit into a 100% entrenchment level hex and derive the same benefits as a fortified unit would?

Also, are the AT/AP (I assume these stand for anti-tank/anti-personnel) percentages also cumulative, and if not, how do these work?

Thanks for the help!
Post #: 1
RE: Entrenchment level vs. fortified status+AT/AP - 10/3/2011 4:29:56 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: drdru7029

Hi, there's a question that's always been bothering me. What's the difference between the 'entrenchment level' of a hex and the fortification status (defending, entrenched, fortified) of the units in that hex? Are the effects cumulative or could I just move a non-entrenched unit into a 100% entrenchment level hex and derive the same benefits as a fortified unit would?

The entrenchment level affects the speed that a unit in that hex can dig in - the higher the faster. There is no other benefit or effect.

quote:

Also, are the AT/AP (I assume these stand for anti-tank/anti-personnel) percentages also cumulative, and if not, how do these work?

What AT/AP percentages are you refering to? Unit strengths, equipment parameters, terrain benefits, ??

(in reply to drdru7029)
Post #: 2
RE: Entrenchment level vs. fortified status+AT/AP - 10/4/2011 10:06:56 AM   
drdru7029

Thanks for the response!
quote:

The entrenchment level affects the speed that a unit in that hex can dig in - the higher the faster. There is no other benefit or effect.

So I can assume that for a large infantry corps that always goes from D->E->F in three turns, the entrenchment level just doesn't matter. But for smaller units which have more difficult times moving up that latter, entrenchment levels are quite important. Is this correct?

quote:

What AT/AP percentages are you refering to? Unit strengths, equipment parameters, terrain benefits, ??

When I hover over a terrain hex several pieces of information show up, such as the terrain type, entrenchment level, etc. Sometimes, when hovering over urban areas, fortified lines etc, I'll also see values such as "AT=800%, AP=500%". What do these mean, and how do they work in conjunction with fortification status, etc?

Thanks again!

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 3
RE: Entrenchment level vs. fortified status+AT/AP - 10/4/2011 4:19:35 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: drdru7029

So I can assume that for a large infantry corps that always goes from D->E->F in three turns, the entrenchment level just doesn't matter. But for smaller units which have more difficult times moving up that latter, entrenchment levels are quite important. Is this correct?

It might even skip one of the D or E steps. I don't think unit size matters in digging in. If the scenario has a reduced entrenchement factor, though, the effects may become more significant.

quote:

When I hover over a terrain hex several pieces of information show up, such as the terrain type, entrenchment level, etc. Sometimes, when hovering over urban areas, fortified lines etc, I'll also see values such as "AT=800%, AP=500%". What do these mean, and how do they work in conjunction with fortification status, etc?

You're talking about the Tool Tips. I don't use them, so take that into consideration. But I assume the values are the terrain benefits. So the figures above would equate to a x8 benefit against AT and a x5 benefit against AP. As of 3.4, terrain benefits combine with deployment benefits as the squareroot of the sum of the squares. See section IV. 11 of the 3.4 part of the What's New document.

(in reply to drdru7029)
Post #: 4
RE: Entrenchment level vs. fortified status+AT/AP - 10/5/2011 3:56:11 PM   
drdru7029

Thank you, that clears things up for me.

Post #: 5
RE: Entrenchment level vs. fortified status+AT/AP - 10/6/2011 1:58:35 AM   
rgflores

I´d like to add another question in this thread.
While playing TOAW ME I always order my units that they are in front of the enemy to dig to defend just in case the enemy decide to attack my units in front of him. I do it even when I am in the offensive. Just wondering if it is a wise tactics since it could waste supply.
Thank you!

(in reply to drdru7029)
Post #: 6
RE: Entrenchment level vs. fortified status+AT/AP - 10/6/2011 11:13:25 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: rgflores

I´d like to add another question in this thread.
While playing TOAW ME I always order my units that they are in front of the enemy to dig to defend just in case the enemy decide to attack my units in front of him. I do it even when I am in the offensive. Just wondering if it is a wise tactics since it could waste supply.

Digging in doesn't expend supply - or readiness, for that matter. So long as you don't intend to launch any more attacks with them that turn there's no reason not to dig in.

(in reply to rgflores)
Post #: 7
RE: Entrenchment level vs. fortified status+AT/AP - 10/10/2011 6:35:22 PM   
rgflores

Thank you Curtis that´s the answer I was looking for

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> TOAW III Support >> Entrenchment level vs. fortified status+AT/AP Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI