Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Creature Contest: "Quagnii Swarms!!"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Creature Contest: "Quagnii Swarms!!" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Creature Contest: "Quagnii Swarms!!" - 9/29/2011 12:43:59 AM   
Webbco

Quagnii Swarms (pronounced: “Qwagnai”)

[Singular: Quagnox]

“It is well known that in those early days of galactic exploration, the Zenoxians were the proud pioneers in safer inter- and intra-stellar travel. The peak of their domination (and their perceived arrogance by other races) was accomplished with the invention of their advanced Megatron Z4 shielding system. But decades of success turned sour remarkably quickly for our ancestors – all because of those pesky deep-space critters, their great numbers resembling flickering, shifting walls of doom. A great fall from the lofty heights of Zenoxian pride...”

- Extract from “Myths turned Truths: Zenox and the Quagnaii” by unknown Zenoxian bard

“....and every form of quantative and qualitative empirical study we have tried has not yielded satisfactory conclusions on their origins, even with our best scientists on the case. Could this be another Sluken experiment gone Lorus-shaped and tossed out into the void? Inorganic composition analysis will begin shortly, maybe we'll observe some more fruitful readings...”

-“Reflections on Interstellar Biodiveristy: The Quagnox Problem” by unknown Kaidan Public Interpreter.

Background:

Current theory suggests creature developed in systems where the local star has unusual gravitational and radioactive characteristics thus influencing planets inhabited by the Quagnaii in bizarre ways. Such planets would have rapidly expanding and contracting atmospheres due to extreme photo-dissociation and photo-ionization in the ionisphere. This would often force the Quagnaii to experience huge amounts of radiation due to their exposure to geospace. Eventually they somehow migrated into outer space, possibly hitching a ride on silica asteroids passing close to their home planet.

Key features:

1. Silica-based (rather than the standard carbon-based) organisms that inhabit nests on silica-rich asteroids in the voids of deep space. Nests are clearly visible on asteroids and look a bit like a Rakk nest from Borderlands (see pic).

2. They have what appears to be an organic propulsion system that moves them through the vacuum of deep space. Recent analyses revealed that the emissions of the Quagnaii prepulsion component resemble volcanic gases – presumably from ingestion of silica asteroids.

3. Commonly seen in varying-sized groups: from as small as 5-6 all the way up to several hundred (although this number is rare).

4. Although vicious when they attack, an onslaught will only usually last for a short period (max of 1-2 mins) and then they will retire to their nests as they must conserve precious energy. They rely on quick, focussed attacks on ships that contain silicon-based components. They will attack in waves and are able to disrupt ships hyperdrives, forcing vessels out of hyperspace near their nests in the void of deep space.

5. Unfortunately I'm not a great artist, but in my imagination, they look a bit like a Combine gunship from the Half Life universe (with the emphasis on organic-mechanised hybridisation - see pic below) mixed with something like a Nautilus (emphasis on it's jet propulsion “hyponome” - see pic). They move together in a synchronised, darting fashion, similar to schooling fish called a “swarm”. Their propulsion system are a series of holes along it's dorsal side, with organic-looking flaps that control manoeuvring. They also have two long “tentacles” that are used to disrupt ships from hyperspace (these act similarly to existing hyperdeny weapons).

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Creature Contest: "Quagnii Swarms!!" - 9/29/2011 12:46:37 AM   
Webbco

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 2
RE: Creature Contest: "Quagnii Swarms!!" - 9/29/2011 12:47:09 AM   
Webbco

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 3
RE: Creature Contest: "Quagnii Swarms!!" - 9/29/2011 5:34:25 AM   
tjhkkr

Interesting...
Navigational Hazard to be sure...

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 4
RE: Creature Contest: "Quagnii Swarms!!" - 9/29/2011 7:34:25 AM   
Data

Webbco, that last one is it from Borderlands? The graphic is very similar.

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 5
RE: Creature Contest: "Quagnii Swarms!!" - 9/29/2011 7:35:47 AM   
J HG T

Very good idea and interesting backstory. Reminds me a bit of those rock-creatures from Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space.

EDIT:
@Data
Yeah, it's Rakk hive from Borderlands. As a side note, can't wait for Borderlands 2.

Also, grammar police! It's Kiadian, not Kaidan.

< Message edited by J HG T -- 9/29/2011 7:37:20 AM >

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 6
RE: Creature Contest: "Quagnii Swarms!!" - 9/29/2011 11:52:31 AM   
Webbco

Tj - I think a "navigational hazard" is probably the best way to sum up their influence in the galaxy!

Data - yeah, that last picture is a Rakk hive from Borderlands (at least the top bit anyway ;)). I imagine Quagnaii nests to look similar on the asteroids.

J HG T - thanks! I have never played (or heard of) Weird Worlds...is it good? Also, I'm a bit of a grammer snob and I took "Kaidans" from the Race artwork in this thread: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2386321&mpage=1&key=races&#2386321. Maybe that early artwork was incorrect.

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 7
RE: Creature Contest: "Quagnii Swarms!!" - 9/29/2011 12:18:31 PM   
Data

ohooo, what times....that art was not and it will never be incorrect
It was just the begining of the adventure and lots of things changed since than.

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 8
RE: Creature Contest: "Quagnii Swarms!!" - 9/29/2011 12:42:35 PM   
J HG T

@Webbco
The Weird Worlds is kinda like coffee break length space adventure; SciFi fans Solitaire. Longest playthroughs are rarely longer than 30-45mins. And that's with biggest map.
Very enjoyable and fun game to play every now and then. The main hook is to improve your scores and find more and more rare stuff on each playthrough.
The game still costs about 20$, but luckily € was doing strong when I bought it. Honestly, I didn't regret buying it one bit.

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 9
RE: Creature Contest: "Quagnii Swarms!!" - 9/29/2011 1:48:58 PM   
Igard

Great backstory! I can see this one easily being implemented as well, so the concept is probably quite attractive to the devs.

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 10
RE: Creature Contest: "Quagnii Swarms!!" - 9/29/2011 9:19:21 PM   
Webbco

Thanks Igard.

@J HG T: I'll check it out...although I usually prefer the long, epic games that can last for hours

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 11
RE: Creature Contest: "Quagnii Swarms!!" - 10/4/2011 11:37:15 PM   
wisky4372

Their silica basis may also have a detrimental effect on targeting systems, making them even more of a danger. Nice concept on this one man.

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 12
RE: Creature Contest: "Quagnii Swarms!!" - 10/6/2011 10:00:57 PM   
wisky4372

Hey Webbco- here is my take on your concept- hope this image fits in with what you envisioned- great idea man!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to wisky4372)
Post #: 13
RE: Creature Contest: "Quagnii Swarms!!" - 10/6/2011 11:14:10 PM   
Webbco

Wisky, that's really kind of you to do some artwork for the Quagnaii! Definitely some similarities on what I imagined...never thought about the wing-like protrusions though and love the bulbs on their backs.

If I was going to be picky, I would love to see a bit more emphasis on the
organic-mechanised hybridisation aspect....but don't get me wrong, I REALLY love what you've done!!

(in reply to wisky4372)
Post #: 14
RE: Creature Contest: "Quagnii Swarms!!" - 10/6/2011 11:29:28 PM   
wisky4372

My pleasure sir, it was fun to do! Sorry about the hybridization aspect, maybe on the next go around!

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 15
RE: Creature Contest: "Quagnii Swarms!!" - 10/7/2011 1:57:25 PM   
Kalthaniell

quote:

ORIGINAL: wisky4372

Hey Webbco- here is my take on your concept- hope this image fits in with what you envisioned- great idea man!

OMG, you blew my mind with this one Wisky! If this pic was any bigger I'd use it for my deskop wallpaper! From now on, Quagnii Swarms are my favourite creature, man.
Man, the stuff you are drawing here is just plain EPIC

(in reply to wisky4372)
Post #: 16
RE: Creature Contest: "Quagnii Swarms!!" - 10/7/2011 2:17:13 PM   
Data

There you go, now we'll have a bigger version of it for sure
We need to get on the same stuff wisky uses...though I can't imagine what it is

(in reply to Kalthaniell)
Post #: 17
RE: Creature Contest: "Quagnii Swarms!!" - 10/7/2011 2:26:12 PM   
wisky4372

Im on lack of sleep, excessive coffee and two daughters who always force me to be imaginative...anything else falls under the fifth amendment

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 18
RE: Creature Contest: "Quagnii Swarms!!" - 10/7/2011 2:42:18 PM   
Data

Damn, your two daughters beat my one and a half year old boy any day; but I share your lack of sleep....and without a drop of coffee, never developed a taste for it.
Still our minds go full throttle when we get inspired so in the end it's all worth it

(in reply to wisky4372)
Post #: 19
RE: Creature Contest: "Quagnii Swarms!!" - 10/7/2011 3:23:24 PM   
Webbco

Wisky, have you done any concept art for game devs?

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 20
RE: Creature Contest: "Quagnii Swarms!!" - 10/7/2011 4:16:41 PM   
wisky4372

No not really, but ive done a lot of illustration work, matte work for commercial animatics and some comics...I currently work as a graphic designer, but I always wanted to do concept art.

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Creature Contest: "Quagnii Swarms!!" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI