Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Race Text error

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Race Text error Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Race Text error - 10/7/2011 3:34:02 AM   
Tirane

I started to playtest my game hand selecting the 17 races I had modified. I was playing race 0 and ran into race 3 who had their homeworld system named after race 0 homeworld. Race 0 (the race I was playing) had a random system name. What gives? Again I picked my race and also the races of the others....

Ouch 5 of 6 starts and the system is not named after the home one on the table. I have checked and rechecked my race table.

< Message edited by Tirane -- 10/7/2011 4:05:00 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Race Text error - 10/7/2011 7:23:15 AM   
Data

Maybe it's some editing problem, a space where should not be one. Can you upload your races.txt file? It may help with the storyline not deactived thread as well.

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Tirane)
Post #: 2
RE: Race Text error - 10/8/2011 12:52:49 AM   
tjhkkr

It could also be that the systems.txt file is missing a comma... that to me seems a good possibility. So whatever that system name is that it is 'stuck' on, check it in the systems.txt and see if there is something wrong with the file syntax, which should name1, name2, name3...
The other thing I do which helps me to make sure things are okay is to place one name per line...

name1,
name2,
name3,

My home world is NEVER the name in the races.txt file.

There are also two tests you can run... you can pull out either of these files (one at a time) out of the mod and see what happens when you start the game...
Hope this helps

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 3
RE: Race Text error - 10/9/2011 1:15:49 AM   
Tirane

I did not modify the systems text file in my mod (yet). Do I need to add the names of the home systems to the systems text file? Here is my race text file:
Thanks!!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Tirane -- 10/9/2011 1:16:32 AM >

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 4
RE: Race Text error - 10/9/2011 4:05:35 AM   
tjhkkr

Yes, they need to be in the systems.txt file. Some of those system names may already be in there though.
I took a quick look at your races.txt file... looks okay to me... someone else should look at it though...

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Tirane)
Post #: 5
RE: Race Text error - 10/9/2011 10:41:42 AM   
Data

I've also looked at it and it seems ok to me too but I'm no modder, just another pair of eyes...weak ones, at that

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 6
RE: Race Text error - 10/9/2011 1:37:03 PM   
tjhkkr

As I said, I have NEVER EVER had my homeworld the same as the one in the races.txt.
Has anyone else ever had that problem other than the two of us?

NOW: when I have encountered systems who, according to the races.txt file, are home worlds for a given race, I have found that THOSE worlds are OFTEN inhabited by the race in the races.txt, but I do not think that I have ever started a game and had my homeworld be the one in the races.txt.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 7
RE: Race Text error - 10/9/2011 2:01:50 PM   
Data

I've never set it explicitly so I can't confirm on this.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 8
RE: Race Text error - 10/9/2011 2:33:59 PM   
WoodMan

I have had my planet as the homeworld set.  Your race does not always start on it's homeworld.  That system could belong to another empire of your same race, or to an independent planet of your race.

I have also started in a foreign races home system

For example, I'm playing as Mortalen or something and I start in the Atuuk race files home system.  My homeplanet has a large population of not only Mortalen but Atuuk too.

I don't think it is a bug I think it is this way by design, I quite like finding my races original homeworld and colonizing it, afterall it fits the story of DW.  I can see how it is annoying for mods though

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 9
RE: Race Text error - 10/9/2011 7:14:16 PM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

As I said, I have NEVER EVER had my homeworld the same as the one in the races.txt.

NOW: when I have encountered systems who, according to the races.txt file, are home worlds for a given race, I have found that THOSE worlds are OFTEN inhabited by the race in the races.txt, but I do not think that I have ever started a game and had my homeworld be the one in the races.txt.

Yes TJ, Elliot told me during early ROTS testing that the 'Homeworld/System' name setting in the races file is NOT for your actual starting Homeworld.
I asked him back when I was working with a particular Romulan on compatibility changes for the Star Trek mods. The Homeworld/System name in the races file is mainly for the DW back-story to be more immersive. Since you can use the game editor to name/rename any planet, star or system even to your liking, it makes sense to me. Especially for modding purposes.

I can see, for instance, that if I wanted to make a Babylon 5 variation mod, I could have the Sol
system as the 'Humans' main system, yet make the planet 'Babylon 5' my current homeworld. I agree
with Elliot in using this variation. Remember, Elliot and Erik are BENDING OVER BACKWARDS to allow
DW to be more and more moddable each build that comes out. I salute them for it. It will eventually
make DW the game the majority of us want it to be.

I can't say anything more at the moment, but after you see this next release, you'll begin to see some
of the fantastic ideas taken from our community that are being included into this game. One personal
comment also (just to get it off my chest). I'm hoping that people will spend more time playing and enjoying the DW game than regularly initiating or continuing the flame wars found occasionally in this forum. I have been a member of other forums, SpaceSimCentral, GalCiv2, just to name a couple, and
I have never seen as much disrespect. Its a shame too, because although I've never met him personally,
Elliot Gibbs is one heck of a creator, innovator and programmer.

I salute his work wholeheartedly, and anyone who can't grasp that is welcome to a tour of my medical lab on my homeworld Ba'ku and a seat in my infamous face-stretching chair!

< Message edited by ehsumrell1 -- 10/9/2011 7:16:18 PM >

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 10
RE: Race Text error - 10/10/2011 8:54:56 AM   
Data

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

I salute his work wholeheartedly, and anyone who can't grasp that is welcome to a tour of my medical lab on my homeworld Ba'ku and a seat in my infamous face-stretching chair!

Very well put, Ed. I'll give you a hand for this when needed....and I don't mean it literally

< Message edited by Data -- 10/10/2011 8:56:09 AM >

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 11
RE: Race Text error - 10/11/2011 7:43:58 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1
quote:

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

quote:

Please... I am not criticizing his work... this game is phenomenal...
I was trying to explain to Tirane what I had encountered. I came from a programming/MIS/Data Processing background... I am in awe of his work.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 12
RE: Race Text error - 10/11/2011 11:50:38 PM   
ehsumrell1

My comments were not directed at you TJ. Any Jedi is cool with me. I just
get frustrated with some of the tirades that I see on this forum, that's all.

I'll be fine after my daily face-stretching session, then back to beta testing.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 13
RE: Race Text error - 10/12/2011 5:25:55 AM   
Tirane

I think everyone has high emotions over this game simply because it is so close to perfection. It is like a 5 carat diamond about to be cut and everyone wants a say on where it will be. But it is the craftsman who will decide.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 14
RE: Race Text error - 10/12/2011 5:30:26 AM   
Tirane

Well maybe it is more like a Bris (though i am not Jewish) as emotions are higher. Steady hands Mohal Gibbs!

(in reply to Tirane)
Post #: 15
RE: Race Text error - 10/12/2011 6:38:11 AM   
Data

quote:

I think everyone has high emotions over this game simply because it is so close to perfection. It is like a 5 carat diamond about to be cut and everyone wants a say on where it will be. But it is the craftsman who will decide.

This needs to be framed and put on every game as a "disclaimer" for it's fans, I could not have said it better.

(in reply to Tirane)
Post #: 16
RE: Race Text error - 10/12/2011 6:42:04 AM   
ehsumrell1

+1

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 17
RE: Race Text error - 10/18/2011 4:18:30 AM   
tjhkkr

High emotions? On this game site? Nah... more propaganda from the Android with a beard...

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 18
RE: Race Text error - 10/18/2011 8:02:51 AM   
Data

Always at your service, ready to deliver

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Race Text error Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI