Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The PERFECT WAR Mod: What is the Vision?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: The PERFECT WAR Mod: What is the Vision? Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The PERFECT WAR Mod: What is the Vision? - 9/9/2011 9:41:28 PM   
John 3rd

I do and have a somewhat clear idea as to the nightmare doing this would be. We'll have to see. FatR: YOUR Thoughts here?

JWE: How did you do your research? What sources did you use? Sorry--it is the historian coming out...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 421
RE: The PERFECT WAR Mod: What is the Vision? - 9/10/2011 9:52:37 AM   
FatR

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

I LIKE THAT IDEA!

FatR???

No problem with that. Extra flexibility will be welcome. I'd like to see the feedback from potential players about whether they want a pure PBEM scenario, though. (But I'm not sure if major changes to the air side won't break the AI anyway).

< Message edited by FatR -- 9/10/2011 9:54:49 AM >

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 422
RE: The PERFECT WAR Mod: What is the Vision? - 9/10/2011 3:25:17 PM   
JWE

quote:

JWE: How did you do your research? What sources did you use? Sorry--it is the historian coming out...

There’s an excellent survey of the DEI campaign by L. Klemen, Forgotten Campaign: The Dutch East Indies Campaign 1941-1942. http://www.dutcheastindies.webs.com/ Very well researched, very well presented. Has good information for both sides and I recommend it as a starting point.

The Japanese details came from the Japanese Monographs series. A good source for who was where, and when, and with what stuff. Mainly from the “biggie”
No 116 – IJN in World War II:
.. Part I, Organization of the Fleets
.. Part II, Organization of the Area Fleets
.. Part III, Organization of the Naval Air Fleets
This guy has it “all”, in an excellent graphical form. Includes the complete unit component (Ground, Admin, Naval and Air) of every Base Force of all the Area Fleets; their activation/deactivation dates, content evolution, individual unit transfer history, month by month from Dec. 41 to Aug. 45. No 116 has tons more stuff in 8 more Parts: 300 pages so chock full of raw data it will keep you thrilled for a year or more. Individual operational details came from a few other Monographs.
No 16 – Ops Record: Amboina and Timor Invasion
No 28 – Ops Record: Tarakan Invasion (Sakaguchi-a)
No 29 – Ops Record: Balikpapan Invasion (Sakaguchi-b)
No 30 – Ops Record: Bandjermasin (Sakaguchi-c)
No 66 – Invasion of Netherlands East Indies
No 67 – Ops Record: Palembang and Bangka Islands
No 80 – IJN OpSit in Philippine Invasion Ops
No 92 – Southwest Area Naval Ops
No 101 – Naval Ops in Invasion of Netherlands East Indies
No 105 – General Summary, Naval Ops, Southern Force
No 113 – Task Force Ops, Nov. 41 – April 42

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 423
RE: The PERFECT WAR Mod: What is the Vision? - 9/13/2011 5:30:12 AM   
John 3rd

FatR: What is our status? I believe you said you had a busy schedule last week and this one.

Do we want to send the turn files over to our French and Thai expert--Skyland? He could get those added and then we can finish the Japanese additions. I can handle the Allied additions as we've settled on the other thread.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 424
RE: The PERFECT WAR Mod: What is the Vision? - 9/13/2011 9:16:13 AM   
FatR

quote:

FatR: What is our status? I believe you said you had a busy schedule last week and this one.

Yes, unfortunately. I'm still working on cruisers, so, as you can see, there is still a lot to do. I can send files to Skyland, if he agrees.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 425
RE: The PERFECT WAR Mod: What is the Vision? - 9/13/2011 6:04:30 PM   
Skyland

Ok for me. pm sent.

(in reply to FatR)
Post #: 426
RE: The PERFECT WAR Mod: What is the Vision? - 9/13/2011 6:18:01 PM   
John 3rd

GREAT!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Skyland)
Post #: 427
RE: The PERFECT WAR Mod: What is the Vision? - 9/20/2011 5:57:53 AM   
John 3rd

Work continues. FatR has been quite busy and trying to knockoff portions of the actual editor work reflecting what we've settled upon for Japan at this point. Skyland has been tackling the French and Thai and so this is a valuable portion that promises some surprises for both sides.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 428
RE: The PERFECT WAR Mod: What is the Vision? - 9/26/2011 3:08:15 PM   
John 3rd

Skyland: How are things coming along?

FatR: Thought. When you get the files back from Skyland you send them over to me. How about you keep working on the Fleet and I'll work on the Allied air, ground, and base changes? We can speed things up that way.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 429
RE: The PERFECT WAR Mod: What is the Vision? - 9/27/2011 10:02:32 AM   
FatR

Now that bug-fixing in RA is finally done, I'm ready to resume work on this mod, but still no answer from Skyland after I've sent him the files...

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 430
RE: The PERFECT WAR Mod: What is the Vision? - 9/27/2011 3:10:19 PM   
John 3rd

That was a pain wasn't it? Wonder how the errors got back into the Mod? Mine with Bill doesn't SEEM to have an issue.

Skyland? What is your status?

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to FatR)
Post #: 431
RE: The PERFECT WAR Mod: What is the Vision? - 9/29/2011 5:21:34 PM   
John 3rd

FatR: Looks like you will get the files back from Skyland this weekend. Do you want to work on the ship files while I tackle the changes to Allied LCU, bases, and aircraft? Is yes, then please send the updated files once you have them from Skyland.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 432
RE: The PERFECT WAR Mod: What is the Vision? - 10/4/2011 3:15:02 PM   
John 3rd

YES! Skyland has sent the files to FatR. Well done Sir and thanks for the work. Looking forward to seeing the new artwork once you've got it complete.

Stanislav: How about what I suggested earlier? You continue working on the ship files and I'll work on Allied air, LCU, and base stuff. WE can then switch when finished and I can work on Allied ships and you do the other for the Japanese. How does that sound? If good, send my the updated files when you get the chance. THANKS!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 433
RE: The PERFECT WAR Mod: What is the Vision? - 10/8/2011 5:08:27 AM   
John 3rd

I've got the game files right now and am doing mainly Allied changes that we've agreed upon in the other Thread.

Big question that I have is what can/could be done with the IJA on the ground? We've examined some ideas regarding the IJN creating more CD and 'Atoll Defense Forces' but haven't really said a thing for the Army. Thoughts and/or Comments?

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 434
RE: The PERFECT WAR Mod: What is the Vision? - 10/8/2011 10:40:43 PM   
John 3rd

Ground Forces for the IJA are now mine to work with. FatR and I chatted over the email regarding this and he thinks it is a good idea sooooooo we need to get started there. Current Plans:

1. Creation of Japanese "Atoll Defense Forces" based on withdrawal of SNLF units beginning in mid-to-late 1942 returning about six months later.
2. A totally revamped China scenario where the Japanese start WAY back from the normal beginning lines. This is an area that I dread. Is there someone out there with sufficient China knowledge to take this theatre over for the Mod work?
3. What new units--if any--should we create for the IJA?
4. Should there be changes to Japanese equipment? We've had Tank Proposals and some comments about different guns... What is good, solid and dare I say realistic things that could be done?

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 435
RE: The PERFECT WAR Mod: What is the Vision? - 10/14/2011 5:50:37 PM   
FatR

Just notifying that my leave from forums is, hopefully, ending. Will need some time to catch up with the discussions. So far John 3rd and Skyland (thanks for his work!) have all the files.

A quick note on atoll defense forces John - I imagine introducing an improved NavGuard TOE with a handful of mortars and AAMGs added in 1943 might be helpful there. Withdrawing SNLFs and introducing naval garrizons is something I agree with.

And before I forgot - what do you thing about the proposal to split naval base forces into separate units, that was given above? I like it, but don't think that it is worth breaking AI...

The Reluctant Admiral mod team.

Take a look at the latest released version of the Reluctant Admiral mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 436
The Imperial Army - 10/14/2011 10:14:16 PM   
John 3rd

FatR! Good to see you emerging from your life excitement. Like the idea of the TOE upgrade. Have already written down some ideas there. Good thoughts.

We have a gentlemen who has volunteered to takeover China. He has IDEAS! I have asked that we bring the discussion here due to needing to figure what we will do with the IJA in the two years they get BEFORE attacking China in 1939.

The discussion has focused SOOOO much on the Fleet that we do need to work this angle. Some opening thoughts:

1. A more air-minded Army that has two additional years to see development across the world before launching its attack into China in 1939. More R&D for airframes that might emerge in 1941/42 perhaps?

2. Perhaps the creation of Tank Divisions earlier. What about starting with the 1st and 2nd TK Divisions already fighting in China? New Tanks?

3. Would it be the same size? Perhaps the creation of more Brigades like the 35th/65th?

I have NOOOOO vision here but really want to kick start a discussion. This needs to be realistic and happen for the Mod to truly reflect the full picture...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to FatR)
Post #: 437
manchuria - 10/14/2011 10:29:18 PM   
John 3rd

We also need to settle on what we'll do with Manchuria during those two years. Discussion of the following has occurred:

1. Anshuun Development along the lines of RA with a refinery and additional oil there.
2. More HI and LI
3. Several more Aircraft plants at Harbin. WE split the single one into two with RA perhaps we should turn Harbin into a major Army research and building center for the IJA?
4. Increase Shipyards at Pt Arthur and Fusan

What else is there to look at and what would be practical?

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 438
RE: The Imperial Army - 10/15/2011 12:09:03 AM   
kfsgo

"Gentleman" is pushing it a bit, I think. I suppose I should take the compliments where I can get'em...ok:

I am still going through the literature I have on China; actually I've barely scratched the surface of what I have - I got through the interesting parts of 'Britain and the Sino-Japanese War 1937-1939' and 'The United States and the Far Eastern Crisis 33-38' yesterday and today - I thought I'd get those two done with, just to get my bearings before starting on the purely China-focused stuff I got out - but I will comment on how the 'stock' scenario feels, bearing in mind that I basically know very little about Japanese ground stuff and that the DBB setup may change this in ways that aren't immediately apparent:

- The Japanese effectively have the ability to - in a line-up-every-soldier-in-a-field sort of way - conquer China. In real life it wasn't as simple as that, since you can't just line up every soldier in a field - the Japanese mostly reached the positions they occupy in 1942 in mid-1938, after which although the war continues there's not much movement, for a bunch of reasons including logistical and supply problems, domestic political doubts, bargaining with China, international pressures one way or the other, whatever. The point is that there were brakes on the Japanese ability to just turn up and say "we'll have that" - some that evaporate once the wider war starts, some that don't - that aren't represented in game, so the way to go as Japan is to just turn everything up to 11 the moment the game starts and unless you do something really daft or your opponent does something really bright, that's about the end of it - the Japanese either break through to Chungking, or they seal the Chinese up in the mountains, from where the can't really leave (except via Burma, which is perhaps as a consequence pointed at as the place the Japanese "can't win"). Either way you have a significant release of forces after everything's done.

- The reverse applies, though it's harder to do - if the Japanese do something really daft, or the Chinese do something really brilliant before everything congeals, the NRA can move to exploit it on a wide scale - and while that may have been technically possible up to a point there seems to have been absolutely no will to do so on the part of the KMT, particularly after Dec. 7 - the leadership was absolutely war-weary and really just wanted someone else to do the heavy lifting for a while, with most of the world's cajoling supply expended on the part of the US & UK in trying to get any offensive action in China to relatively little effect.

So - by late 42 you'd expect the constantly shrinking remnants of the Chinese army to be holed up on a line +- Baoshan-Kunming-Guiyang-Patung-Xi'an, unable to do much beyond replace the casualties they're taking - and that's if they're lucky. Bit odd. I suppose the problem is that the game isn't scaled quite right for China - there's no "duck into the hills and then jump onto the enemy supply lines" option - and that's basically everyone's M.O, in theory - since doing that means weeks of marching, during which you're being watched all the time and bombed incessantly, if you're the Chinese. These are not insoluble problems, even if you don't change the setup much:

* You can proliferate bases; more prefortification options mean campaigns go slower.
* You can increase garrison requirements; the IJA and Chinese both have several thousand AV in theatre surplus to their garrison needs, hence you get these massive blocks of troops stomping around - keep more of them at home and the ones that can shift about will have a more sensible time of it. This will also mean the war in China heats up gradually, rather than immediately - with Chinese recovery from disablement and new Japanese units enabling garrison requirements to be met more easily as time goes by.

Do both of those and things start to get a little more sensible - is denying the enemy 20 resources a day worth tying up half a division on garrison duty? Are you willing to pay the political price of leaving all your Zaibatsu shops unprotected against terrorism to go off and fight a campaign in the mountains?

Anyway - bedtime soon. None of this even begins to address what to do in an alternate history scenario - changing the setup should to a certain extent mean changing the road and railway situation, for example, and I think there's a way to handle the Yangtze's navigability more usefully than it's done at present - but really what China will look like depends greatly on what the Japanese army - and Japan proper - look like.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 439
RE: The PERFECT WAR Mod: What is the Vision? - 10/15/2011 2:30:24 PM   
MateDow

I hadn't seen anything about changes to the Japanese war plan, so I'll jump in, and I apologize if I missed something there.

Based on the assumption that Japan wants to utilize 100% of their force effectively (Army-Navy Cooperation), and that the Navy wants to hand the US as close to a knock out blow that they can in the opening weeks of the war...

Have invasion forces following the KB with the targets of Midway, Kauai and Hawaii. The KB should be able to knock out the fleet at PH, contain the air resources of Oahu and prevent the US carriers from intervening. If the US carriers do intervene, that is their loss. Utilize this chain to transfer aircraft into the theater. This will set up a blockade that will starve the US forces in PH. It should also provide a path for resupply that is protected by air cover. Use the battleships that are currently held in reserve in Japan for fire support and to engage any US battleships that might be stupid enough to try and sortie to interfere.

The troops for this movement would come from the Philippines invasion. The Japanese would realize that the air forces based in the Philippines are no threat to the seaborne supply lines and use the troops and transports from those operations to support the Hawaiian operations. Use the light carriers assigned to those invasions to cover the Malay operations and maybe a mini-PH at Singapore.

Wheel off the Malay operations into the DEI to capture resources needed to maintain the economy. Air cover will protect convoys from the air threat from the Philippines.

With all of the important stuff captured (DEI), you can conquer the Philippines at your leisure. It isn't like the US is going to be able to reinforce any better than they are with the initial invasion. If they do, that is less stuff that they are going to have available for later operations.

This would be a radical deviation in strategy for the Japanese, but would knock the Pacific Fleet back to the US coast, still knock the British back to India, and eventually capture the Philippines which have little value other than propaganda.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 440
RE: The PERFECT WAR Mod: What is the Vision? - 10/15/2011 3:59:18 PM   
mike scholl 1

quote:

ORIGINAL: MateDow

Have invasion forces following the KB with the targets of Midway, Kauai and Hawaii. The KB should be able to knock out the fleet at PH, contain the air resources of Oahu and prevent the US carriers from intervening. If the US carriers do intervene, that is their loss. Utilize this chain to transfer aircraft into the theater. This will set up a blockade that will starve the US forces in PH. It should also provide a path for resupply that is protected by air cover. Use the battleships that are currently held in reserve in Japan for fire support and to engage any US battleships that might be stupid enough to try and sortie to interfere.

This would pretty much "put paid" to ANY chance of "First Turn Surprise". While it's perfectly feasible to slip a well manned and trained force of warships across the northern Pacific in December, it's quite another to slip several large, waddling convoys of troopships through those seas. They would have to come farther south into the trade lanes, be spotted, and give away the whole show because there is no earthly explanation for their presense except war.

(in reply to MateDow)
Post #: 441
RE: The PERFECT WAR Mod: What is the Vision? - 10/15/2011 5:02:11 PM   
JWE

I agree Mike. Also disagree with;
quote:

The troops for this movement would come from the Philippines invasion. The Japanese would realize that the air forces based in the Philippines are no threat to the seaborne supply lines and use the troops and transports from those operations to support the Hawaiian operations. Use the light carriers assigned to those invasions to cover the Malay operations and maybe a mini-PH at Singapore.

Japan was very concerned with having the Philippines on the flank of their movement South. They would have had to hit the PI regardless of whether or not they hit PH. This was 1941, and the capabilities and limitations of modern weapons systems were still nothing but theory. Japan was scared poopless by the thought of large numbers of long-range bombers based in the locked and loaded Philippines. Whatever else happens, the PI ops are mandatory for Japan if they wish to go South.

(in reply to mike scholl 1)
Post #: 442
RE: The PERFECT WAR Mod: What is the Vision? - 10/15/2011 5:33:46 PM   
ny59giants

I have talked with John 3rd about what additional roads and rails will be available at start in China, but we did not get into details. What would be feasible?? What about later war having the Burma RR completed to connect Moulmein with Bangkok?? Will new map panels be needed along with modified Pwhex files??

Too much re-positioning of Japanese forces or having too many at sea on Dec 7th would have been picked up via radio intercepts. IMO, you cannot go too far in this direction.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 443
RE: The PERFECT WAR Mod: What is the Vision? - 10/15/2011 6:04:21 PM   
JWE

Hi, ny59giants.

China is a dicey proposition because there's several factors that come into play. Look at manual 4.2.1.1 and you see that clear-developed, clear-cultivated, urban, etc., hexes are "assumed" to have major or secondary roads going in all directions. If you hit the "R" key you will see this has been done explicitly in the map data and most of China looks like a spider's web of roads already.

The problem with dinking with it is that you have several algorithms working (movement, supply flow, (and stacking)). Some are coded in accord with 4.2.1.1, others look at the pwhexe data. If they don't match up, things may not work as desired. So please be very judicious with your changes.The Law of Unintended Consequences is seriously waiting to bite someone on the butt, on this one.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 444
RE: The PERFECT WAR Mod: What is the Vision? - 10/15/2011 6:35:49 PM   
kfsgo

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

I have talked with John 3rd about what additional roads and rails will be available at start in China, but we did not get into details. What would be feasible?? What about later war having the Burma RR completed to connect Moulmein with Bangkok?? Will new map panels be needed along with modified Pwhex files??

It depends what the starting situation is, really. There may be more, but there also may be less - the railways between Canton and Kukong, Changsha and Wuhan, Loyang and Xi'an may be damaged to a greater or lesser degree depending on how far the Japanese have reached - there is the point to bear in mind that the Chinese would generally rip them up ahead of Japanese advances, so repairing them may or may not be sensible. Japan may also have been able to get more or less done in two years of war vs four, so you might have gaps in Japanese-occupied areas.

If graduated pwhex files are an option, you also have options in Burma - the Thailand-Burma and Burma-Yunnan railways, and the Ledo, Arakan and Tiddim roads - and India (upgrades to the railways through Assam etc) along with Alaska (ALCAN) and stuff like improvements to the Alice Springs-Darwin land routes, the Pakanbaroe railway in Sumatra, the removal of the eastern railway in Malaya...

Rivers are another possibility. At the moment you either have navigability to 15,000t ships or none at all - there's no helping that, but you can fudge it a bit with coral reefs - add some in an appropriate place and you've got a river with a limit of 100t on navigation, which is not perfect but would at least permit usage by barges, MGBs etc, along with 'fudged' larger river gunboats. Useful in China (the upper Yangtze from Hankow-Changsha-Hengyang and Hankow-Ichang-Chungking), Burma (Irrawaddy), Vietnam (Mekong) and probably others I can't think of. Caveat is that I'm not sure whether navigable rivers are distinct from major rivers for combat purposes - that might be an issue, or it might not.

So, yeah. Options! None of them are capital-C Critical, but it's nice to have'em, since you can take them as far as you want. Personally what I'd do in China is expand navigability on the Yangtze and then deteriorate the road network, which would slow non-rail routes down and push stuff onto boats, but I'm not sure how you'd keep the Japanese from just sailing up to Chungking - Chinese armed junks?

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 445
RE: The PERFECT WAR Mod: What is the Vision? - 10/15/2011 6:58:48 PM   
MateDow

quote:

ORIGINAL: mike scholl 1

This would pretty much "put paid" to ANY chance of "First Turn Surprise". While it's perfectly feasible to slip a well manned and trained force of warships across the northern Pacific in December, it's quite another to slip several large, waddling convoys of troopships through those seas. They would have to come farther south into the trade lanes, be spotted, and give away the whole show because there is no earthly explanation for their presense except war.

Why not transports? No different that running convoys across the North Atlantic in December in terms of stationkeeping and vessel damage.

Position them north of their targets to descend on Day 4 or whenever. Even with the increase in US vigilance, there won't be anything in the area to oppose them. Surveillance from KB will ensure that there are no merchant vessels in the area to detect their approach.

Even if there is no surprise, if assume that the US had two days of notice, what would they have been able to do? Recall the Enterprise and Lexington? Once again, you have the US carriers rushing to their doom. Sortie the battleships? Battleships without sufficient air cover trying to engage KB would be suicidal. Air losses for the Japanese would have been more severe, but probably wouldn't change the probability of success.

We always hear what a gambler Yamamoto is; this would allow him to prove it. Success would allow the Japanese to keep the US at arm's length into 1943 as the US strives to build up their carrier fleet. This would allow the Japanese to finish some of that new construction, and keep the US away from the Home Islands longer.

Would it change the ultimate outcome? Probably not, but the Allied player would have to play a much more careful game with all of those new toys.

(in reply to mike scholl 1)
Post #: 446
RE: The PERFECT WAR Mod: What is the Vision? - 10/15/2011 7:03:50 PM   
ny59giants

quote:

The Law of Unintended Consequences is seriously waiting to bite someone on the butt, on this one.

John - 6 years in USN followed by another 6 building part of the fuel systems for the B-1 & B-2 bombers for a government contractor taught me this Law very well. I will not be doing any of these changes myself, but wanted to mention the possibility of them happening.

(in reply to kfsgo)
Post #: 447
RE: The PERFECT WAR Mod: What is the Vision? - 10/15/2011 7:12:47 PM   
MateDow

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE

I agree Mike. Also disagree with;
quote:

Japan was very concerned with having the Philippines on the flank of their movement South. They would have had to hit the PI regardless of whether or not they hit PH. This was 1941, and the capabilities and limitations of modern weapons systems were still nothing but theory. Japan was scared poopless by the thought of large numbers of long-range bombers based in the locked and loaded Philippines. Whatever else happens, the PI ops are mandatory for Japan if they wish to go South.

I'm not saying that they ignore the Philippines. Use the real life air assets to suppress the Philippine air fields. After one week, those airfields would be incapable of effective operations. Plus the knowledge that 4E bombers are not effective for anti-shipping operations, would help in this regard. There is no reason to use a large quantity of troops to occupy the ground in the early stages of the war.

Keep the focus on capturing resources and oil quickly, that is what the war was about.

With Malaya and the DEI occupied, there will be no way to keep the Philippines supplied with aircraft and fuel in the quantities needed.

If we assume that the time used for Malaya and the DEI takes until April 1942, would that decrease the chances of the Japanese to capture the Philippines? I don't think it will.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 448
RE: The PERFECT WAR Mod: What is the Vision? - 10/15/2011 8:46:18 PM   
FatR

Answering the non China-related questions first...

quote:

4. Should there be changes to Japanese equipment? We've had Tank Proposals and some comments about different guns... What is good, solid and dare I say realistic things that could be done?

The thing to remember here - all weapons in the game just cost points in the armaments pool. As the result, once a device is available, it will very quickly fill all available slots. Consequently, Japanese forces will have a lot of Type 1 medium tanks and modern radars in 1943 already... This can be counteracted by only allowing a handful of units to use new devices.

Simplest and most logical ways to utilize the certain increase in production capacity that we postulate I can think of:

1)Speeding up replacement of 6.5-mm infantry weapons with 7.7-mm ones.

2)Introducing a maximally simplified and spartan SMG model into mass production. As a note, a change like this most like requires a serious initial investment into building a large factory to start paying off, a design suited for speedy mass production won't be easy to make in small workshops and factories. Together with the change #1 it should serve to make firepower reduction of the Japanese infantry squad in 1943 less severe.

3)Disbanding separate mortar units and attaching mortars to regiments/batallions normally (introduce them into infantry TOEs, I think primarily to second-rate divisions in place of extra artillery they don't have). This is not so much a change in production as adopting a more sensible approach to deployment.

4)Standardizing weapons calibres and ammo used between IJA and IJN when possible. In Scen 70 we already started doing it, regarding airplaces. Probably accept Army-type flanged 7.7 cartridge (and rifle-calibre machineguns of IJA design for aircraft), 13.2 as the unified HMG calibre for various purposes (as IJA already used some 13.2 weapons, why keep rounds of different calibres in production?). I'm not sure about what calibre use for light AA guns. For those who didn't know, the only relatively mass-produced IJA flak machinecannon, 20mm Type 98, was very similar to IJN's 25mm Type 96, derivative of the same Hotchkiss design in fact. But even Type 98 was produced in really small numbers, less than 1/10th of Type 96 production run, so I'm inclined to think that just developing a mobile carriage for the Type 96 barrel might be the most efficient decision.

5)Continuing this policy, the new 76/60 AA gun roughly based on the design of guns that were installed IRL on Aganos, whuch is discussed in my fleet armament proposal above, probably should be adopted by the Army instead of copying the old German 88mm gun that became Type 99. However, producing this relatively cutting-edge design won't be as simple, so at the beginning of hostilities IJA probably should have only a couple of these guns, much fewer than Type 99s in stock, with the numbers gradually increasing over the war. Considering deficiencies in fire control, this gun won't have more than mediocre stats, but considering what pieces of junk old Japanese 76mm AA guns are...

6)Adding a bit more of AA machinecannons and 47mm Type 1 AT guns to TOEs, particularly in 1943 and later. Don't bother with bigger dedicated AT guns (at least with producing them in numbers warranting inclusion in the game), due to their relatively low priority - extra resources will be better spent producing AA guns. Also, small and relatively easily transortable guns are more suited for conditions of the theatre. Following the same logic, produice more infantry AT weapons, including 20mm Type 97 AT rifles, and Type 4 rocket launchers (the latter entered mass production IRL, but produced units were hoarded for the mainland defense and apparenrtly saw no real combat), giving late-war Japanese infantry squads slightly higher anti-armor rating as well.

7)As about tanks, placing the barrel from 47mm AT gun on the chassis of the obsolete Type 95 can probably be done earlier than 1945, with addition of the resulting SP gun to Japanese armored units (primarily those that don't have Type 1 tanks) around early 1944. Don't really see much changes here - armor is not only low on the list of priorities, but expensive as well. The game already gives Japanese more than they had, particularly if a player rebuilds all three (four in Scen 2) tank divisions.

quote:

1. A more air-minded Army that has two additional years to see development across the world before launching its attack into China in 1939. More R&D for airframes that might emerge in 1941/42 perhaps?

More on that when I finally gather enough strength to finish the preliminary air proposal.

The Reluctant Admiral mod team.

Take a look at the latest released version of the Reluctant Admiral mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 449
RE: The PERFECT WAR Mod: What is the Vision? - 10/15/2011 9:27:40 PM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants
quote:

The Law of Unintended Consequences is seriously waiting to bite someone on the butt, on this one.

John - 6 years in USN followed by another 6 building part of the fuel systems for the B-1 & B-2 bombers for a government contractor taught me this Law very well. I will not be doing any of these changes myself, but wanted to mention the possibility of them happening.

Oh, yeah. You know.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just providing a caution. Lots of people have good ideas, but the Law raises its ugly head in many areas. Frankly, I think your idea is a good one; we have played with some similar things, but didn't want Babes to depart that far from standard.

But if you are willin', and if John 3rd is willin', then I'm willin'.
Just give me weed, whites, and wine, and show me a sign.

If it is something you think important to do, I would be pleased to walk you through the ins and outs of stuff. Just shoot me a pm. I'll be your huckelberry.

Ciao. John

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 450
Page:   <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: The PERFECT WAR Mod: What is the Vision? Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI