Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Distant Worlds: Legends Characters

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds: Legends Characters Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Distant Worlds: Legends Characters - 10/22/2011 10:27:58 PM   
adamsolo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

quote:

ORIGINAL: adamsolo

That better fleet management and more intelligent fuel management should be enough. For instance right now on Shakturi you know that sometimes ships don't refuel in resupply ships. And they head to other places than to the resupply ship on their own fleet when we instruct them to refuel at nearest point (yes, re-supply ships are deployed). Regarding the need of a tanker, don't feel it here. That need did cross my mind once or twice I confess, but I do like the idea of having to establish re-supply stations in gas giants or stars.

As for new models and graphics. The race pictures looks new and improved. And I would be surprised if a hard working Woodman has left many models untouched. But I would never expect DW to look better than an improved DW. And I think it looks just fine apart from somewhat dullish menu graphics and a selection of rather horrible original models.

Again, let's see what Legends brings. Erik said:

quote:

ORIGINAL Erik
[Legends will feature] 22 new high resolution ship sets in the game (added to the existing ones from Distant Worlds and Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi), including the one for the hidden faction, all commissioned from one of our favorite Distant Worlds players, artist Martin Wood.

What exactly "ship sets" mean here? 22 new types of models. This could be like 100 new models, is that what it means? On the other hand if 22 ship sets mean "22 models" it would be safe to assume that the majority of the models stay the same (space ports, cruisers, etc, etc). And those don't look nice, not in my neck of the woods.

How many new of these high-resolution ship individual models are we talking about here?

SpaceSector.com
Your source for Space & Sci-Fi Strategy Games

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 61
RE: Distant Worlds: Legends Characters - 10/22/2011 10:40:06 PM   
Bingeling

A ship set is the ships and bases for humans. There are 22 races, humans are one of them.

22 ship sets should be some 200++ new ships and bases.

Head to the mod forum. Look up diverse worlds. That is Woodman. He has been hired to update ships, and have improved and completed his mod sets. As you can see, it is a bit more than 22 new ships in that mod, and there are more stuff added to the game.

Expect every ship and base on the game map to be new. I am not sure about all items in the menus and planetish stuff.

(in reply to adamsolo)
Post #: 62
RE: Distant Worlds: Legends Characters - 10/22/2011 10:44:23 PM   
adamsolo

quote:

A ship set is the ships and bases for humans. There are 22 races, humans are one of them.

22 ship sets should be some 200++ new ships and bases.

Head to the mod forum. Look up diverse worlds. That is Woodman. He has been hired to update ships, and have improved and completed his mod sets. As you can see, it is a bit more than 22 new ships in that mod, and there are more stuff added to the game.

Expect every ship and base on the game map to be new. I am not sure about all items in the menus and planetish stuff.

Wow! Sorry about my misunderstanding about the number of new ship models. You can scratch that need then Erik. Although planets and ruins could also be worked out. Currently when I see Petra's monument found in another galaxy my immersion level drops to 0 right there :)

< Message edited by adamsolo -- 10/22/2011 10:49:13 PM >

SpaceSector.com

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 63
RE: Distant Worlds: Legends Characters - 10/22/2011 11:05:33 PM   
WoodMan

If you have never used the mod, then you should see approximately 600 new ship/base images in Legends

If you have used the mod you will be familiar with quite a few of them, but still in for some nice surprises

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to adamsolo)
Post #: 64
RE: Distant Worlds: Legends Characters - 10/22/2011 11:16:24 PM   
Stormy Fairweather

Sorry if this is a stupid question; but any word on release date? (looked around briefly but saw nothin')

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 65
RE: Distant Worlds: Legends Characters - 10/22/2011 11:17:14 PM   
Gareth_Bryne

Yay for the ships, but isn't there a mod with improved planets too? Space Rangers planets seem more interesting for the moment, as a possible example...

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 66
RE: Distant Worlds: Legends Characters - 10/22/2011 11:38:54 PM   
Bingeling

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stormy Fairweather

Sorry if this is a stupid question; but any word on release date? (looked around briefly but saw nothin')

I think they have said November previously.

On the first page, our resident beta tester said:

quote:

You guys better spend the next week or two with your loved ones, or whomever
you hold dear to you......

Which hints at maybe thing going along quite nicely. A proper announcement was delayed until over the weekend, so maybe that will include something. If it is only a week or two away they should have a pretty complete product by now.

(in reply to Stormy Fairweather)
Post #: 67
RE: Distant Worlds: Legends Characters - 10/23/2011 12:18:56 AM   
Shark7

quote:

quote:

quote:

That better fleet management and more intelligent fuel management should be enough. For instance right now on Shakturi you know that sometimes ships don't refuel in resupply ships. And they head to other places than to the resupply ship on their own fleet when we instruct them to refuel at nearest point (yes, re-supply ships are deployed). Regarding the need of a tanker, don't feel it here. That need did cross my mind once or twice I confess, but I do like the idea of having to establish re-supply stations in gas giants or stars.

As for new models and graphics. The race pictures looks new and improved. And I would be surprised if a hard working Woodman has left many models untouched. But I would never expect DW to look better than an improved DW. And I think it looks just fine apart from somewhat dullish menu graphics and a selection of rather horrible original models.

Again, let's see what Legends brings. Erik said:

quote:

ORIGINAL Erik
[Legends will feature] 22 new high resolution ship sets in the game (added to the existing ones from Distant Worlds and Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi), including the one for the hidden faction, all commissioned from one of our favorite Distant Worlds players, artist Martin Wood.

What exactly "ship sets" mean here? 22 new types of models. This could be like 100 new models, is that what it means? On the other hand if 22 ship sets mean "22 models" it would be safe to assume that the majority of the models stay the same (space ports, cruisers, etc, etc). And those don't look nice, not in my neck of the woods.

How many new of these high-resolution ship individual models are we talking about here?

Not 22 models, 22 separate sets. Also, those who have not modded might not know there is also a set of ships that is used only by the AI for pirates or derelicts etc, though these are not a full ship set.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to adamsolo)
Post #: 68
RE: Distant Worlds: Legends Characters - 10/23/2011 12:35:09 AM   
nammafia

I love this feature: inactive Admiral can turning into an addict.
I have a question: can this Admiral be forced into early retirement?
I love this advancement: better memory management system. Good for you and brighter future to Distant Worlds.

Great game and only game for me now since SOTS II goes the way of Steam.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 69
RE: Distant Worlds: Legends Characters - 10/23/2011 12:54:26 AM   
Simulation01

quote:

ORIGINAL: nammafia

I love this feature: inactive Admiral can turning into an addict.
I have a question: can this Admiral be forced into early retirement?
I love this advancement: better memory management system. Good for you and brighter future to Distant Worlds.

Great game and only game for me now since SOTS II goes the way of Steam.

SOTS II is also for sale on Gamersgate

Or will be on October 28th. I intend to have both games....I'm guardedly optimistic about getting what I want from both games.

< Message edited by Simulation01 -- 10/23/2011 12:59:45 AM >

"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson

(in reply to nammafia)
Post #: 70
RE: Distant Worlds: Legends Characters - 10/23/2011 4:19:14 AM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
quote:

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr
- Can characters be assassinated? I did take a second look through the forum, and did not see anything about that...

Erik Rutins: Yes, there are two new intelligence missions.

Then I think emperor Palpatine had better watch out because I have a few missions for DW version of the Assassin.

Thank you for answering our questions.

< Message edited by tjhkkr -- 10/23/2011 4:22:58 AM >

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

Post #: 71
RE: Great stuff - 10/23/2011 4:28:23 AM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik
Right now it's based on the majority species, but that's a great idea. I'll see if we can get that in before release, as long as we can connect it to the new assimilate/enslave/exterminate policies.

Me: Egad, that is one harsh empire... but then the Shakturi (The SW Galactic Empire) would be like that.

quote:
ORIGINAL: WiZz
I have one question. If my empire is multiracial can I hire characters from other races?
Erik:
Not yet, but I'd like that to be possible. We would need to integrate it with the new empire policies towards other species as well.
Me:
You mean I cannot hire Boba Fett to blow the snot out of Emperor Palpatine... drat...
That would be fun though!

< Message edited by tjhkkr -- 10/23/2011 4:30:46 AM >

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

Post #: 72
RE: Distant Worlds: Legends Characters - 10/23/2011 8:26:28 AM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
quote:

I would like to see leaders age and home birth planet on the UI and maybe getting some influence in the system.

What do you mean by influence?

Regards,

- Erik

For situations like rebellions and civil wars a character and his armies,fleets,ect would turn to his homeplanets side.The immersion factor of having a homeworld planet and age is good for the game I feel.

I am a bit sad that there is no loyalty factor with the leaders,with double agents, planet governers and the like could be turned to your agenda.

Post #: 73
RE: Distant Worlds: Legends Characters - 10/23/2011 9:09:43 AM   
profanicus

quote:

SOTS II is also for sale on Gamersgate

FYI the GamersGate version still requires Steam. Not a problem for me, I will be getting both :)

(in reply to Simulation01)
Post #: 74
RE: Distant Worlds: Legends Characters - 10/23/2011 9:29:08 AM   
Sarkus

Not to derail things further, but SOTS2 is NOT a Steamworks game, meaning it will run without it. All they are doing is making Steam the sole provider of updates and patches.

(in reply to profanicus)
Post #: 75
RE: Distant Worlds: Legends Characters - 10/23/2011 10:13:53 AM   
Bingeling

Just to probably explain a bit further on Sarkus.

I bought EU3 over Steam. It had no copy protection, and I could "extract" it from its install directory within steam and have it free of Steam just like for instance this game. That is, I could copy it to another computer and run without starting Steam. For that game Steam was just a sales channel, and an easy way to get non beta updates. To run beta updates I had to run it outside Steam.

As for this game? I want this expansion, steam or not :)

(in reply to Sarkus)
Post #: 76
RE: Distant Worlds: Legends Characters - 10/23/2011 10:50:30 AM   
Brainsucker

Ok, I want name my admiral "Jonathan Archer" could I do it? I means rename his in in game?

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 77
RE: Distant Worlds: Legends Characters - 10/23/2011 10:57:57 AM   
profanicus

I believe you also need Steam to validate the serial the first time the game is run.

< Message edited by profanicus -- 10/23/2011 10:59:12 AM >

(in reply to Sarkus)
Post #: 78
RE: Distant Worlds: Legends Characters - 10/23/2011 11:02:42 AM   
Bingeling

For EU3 I could get the serials from a choice in Steam. I think it was used for patches, and surely for forum registration.

So it depends on how they choose to do it. They can be closely interwoven in Steam, or loosely.

(in reply to profanicus)
Post #: 79
RE: Distant Worlds: Legends Characters - 10/23/2011 3:49:01 PM   
ASHBERY76

Back to the actual topic.

If you can purchase the spys directly for little money doesnt that kinda suck for the Ketarov who are more likely to generate spy characters naturally when they do not need too for any real game benefit when you can buy them cheap anyway?

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 80
RE: Distant Worlds: Legends Characters - 10/23/2011 5:07:32 PM   
Sithuk

Erik: I'm trying to drum up interest in the game and the upcoming expansion. Sadly the videos available of the gameplay are putting prospective players off. Can you please invest some time in making interesting gameplay videos for the Legends expansion so we can point prospective Space 4X players to them.The lag in previous videos has been mentioned. I don't have a link to the exact one which the forum poster watched but they weren't impressed. We all know the great game that lies beneath, please showcase it with some great videos that we can then post links to on our favourite forums.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 81
RE: Distant Worlds: Legends Characters - 10/23/2011 5:27:33 PM   
YourConscience

Actually, I don't think videos can help here, since this really is not a game about funny screenshots. I think let's play threads do a much better job for games like this. But I am no beta tester, so cannot do that...

Also, developer diaries help with games like these.

(in reply to Sithuk)
Post #: 82
RE: Distant Worlds: Legends Characters - 10/23/2011 5:36:31 PM   
ASHBERY76

Yeah indepth AAR reports are the best sellers for strategy games in my view.A video is never going to impress casual players with it being a 2d top down game.

(in reply to YourConscience)
Post #: 83
RE: Distant Worlds: Legends Characters - 10/23/2011 6:00:24 PM   
adamsolo

Will there be new music added in Legends? I love RotS music, hope to see more in Legends.

SpaceSector.com

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 84
RE: Distant Worlds: Legends Characters - 10/23/2011 6:12:00 PM   
LoBaron

Great update Eric!

Really looking forward to the expansion.

Only thing I hope is that late game the Character part doesn´t end in a micro management clickfest and can be automated as well
as the rest of DW.

Post #: 85
RE: Distant Worlds: Legends Characters - 10/23/2011 9:20:08 PM   
Cauldyth

Man, can't wait for this game. A couple quick questions in the meantime:

1) Can we see a screenshot of what's in Show Event History for a character?

2) Do you mind if I name my firstborn Kweeki Woppit?

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 86
RE: Distant Worlds: Legends Characters - 10/23/2011 10:12:33 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cauldyth
Do you mind if I name my firstborn Kweeki Woppit?

If you are from America, I think the only person who would object is your first born.

It is a cool game, and there is a lot of excitement about it, as well there should be!

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 87
RE: Distant Worlds: Legends Characters - 10/23/2011 11:14:43 PM   
Evil Steve

looking good!

quote:

I think your DW resources (strategic and luxuries) are great. And the technology dependence on certain resources (components dependence on resources) is brilliant. However, in my view you don't take advantage of all that power. In my games I never feel any lack of resources (it's just a matter of time till freighters get them around). So, I was never not allowed to build whatever I wanted. This seems like fun because there are no restrictions, but in a strategy game it is in fact the opposite. Resources need to be scarcer and possibly spread unevenly throughout the galaxy. This would lead to more careful trading decisions and to war (and this is why in my opinion some people complain that DW is still too peaceful). So, in order to spice up the game and turn it even more strategically-rich the game should feature an option at game start to instruct the game how rare resources should be and possibly also how uneven they should be spread across the galaxy. If more-peaceful folks want it like it is now, then they would not need to tweak these options. I know this is not something that can be implemented over night. There's a ton of balancing that would need to be done to make it work. I guess this is something that could be considered for DW2.

i'm a definite +1 to the above.

very much looking forward to Legends

< Message edited by Evil Steve -- 10/23/2011 11:17:06 PM >

(in reply to adamsolo)
Post #: 88
RE: Distant Worlds: Legends Characters - 10/24/2011 4:17:47 AM   
feelotraveller

Niiiiiice. [Runs offstage to rearrange life for next year...]

@AdamSolo & Evil Steve - As a player I too would like a more challenging resource distribution. I think the problem comes from the ... computer... not having the capacity to deal with this. If it comes down to a slight challenge for me versus a massive handicap for the computer I'll want to stick with the way it is.

(in reply to Evil Steve)
Post #: 89
RE: Distant Worlds: Legends Characters - 10/24/2011 4:32:16 AM   
feelotraveller

Erik,

There are some nice looking new icons above the mini-map. Care to fill us in on their function?

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds: Legends Characters Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI