Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Editor map

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Editor map Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Editor map - 10/19/2011 9:03:13 PM   
Kaiser85

Hello, How can I create a new map or to modify the existent? It is possibile to do it?
Post #: 1
RE: Editor map - 10/19/2011 11:10:29 PM   
dwbradley

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kaiser85

Hello, How can I create a new map or to modify the existent? It is possibile to do it?

You could start with this:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2922596

Dave Bradley

(in reply to Kaiser85)
Post #: 2
RE: Editor map - 10/25/2011 12:44:26 PM   
Kaiser85

Hi, first of all, thanks for the link. I have read the pdf file and the other documents which explain how the map editor works.
I think that I understood how the map is structured, how many hexagons are in the map, rows, columns etc..
Now I would like to have a small example how to edit a single hexagon. For instance, how can I transform the Singapores' hexagon from land to ocean?? or a single ocean's hexagon to land?
I used this editor PWHEXE_Editor_0.7 in order to transform a group of hexagons (from 0:0 to 10:10) but the only result is that they are not more selectable.
My english is terrile, so pls have patience.

(in reply to dwbradley)
Post #: 3
RE: Editor map - 10/25/2011 4:03:18 PM   
dwbradley

quote:

Hi, first of all, thanks for the link. I have read the pdf file and the other documents which explain how the map editor works.
I think that I understood how the map is structured, how many hexagons are in the map, rows, columns etc..
Now I would like to have a small example how to edit a single hexagon. For instance, how can I transform the Singapores' hexagon from land to ocean?? or a single ocean's hexagon to land?
I used this editor PWHEXE_Editor_0.7 in order to transform a group of hexagons (from 0:0 to 10:10) but the only result is that they are not more selectable.

Kaiser85,
Your English is fine, more than sufficient for the task at hand.

The pwhexe.dat editor is a small, simple program and is perhaps not the easiest to use. Based upon your description of the problem I would say that the most likely cause of your problem is that you have not saved your changes. I will try to explain and then create the example you talked about. The program is deliberately made to err on the safe side so that you will be less likely to mix up changed files with unchanged files. Don Bowen thinks I overdid this and he has an arguably valid point. At any rate we must use the program as it is until the next revision (no definite plans at this point). The normal procedure for using the editor to edit a single hexagon would be:

1. Move a copy of pwhexe.dat into the folder with the editor.
2. Start the editor.
3. OPEN the pwhexe.dat file (indicator turns green)
4. Set the START location to the desired hexagon.
5. READ the location.
6. Change the fields to the desired values.
7. WRITE the location.
8. SAVE the file (this may be the step you omitted).
9. Close the editor.
10. Move/Copy the pwhexe.dat to the AE root directory and start AE (the original is saved, right?). You should be able to see the changes in the game at this point.

To change multiple locations in the same way you would add a FINISH location to step four above. Try the above sequence of steps and tell me if you are successful. If not successful please let me know what you see that is wrong.

Good luck with this. We are all modders at heart and I want this tool to be useful and effective for all of the great modding to come.

Dave Bradley

(in reply to Kaiser85)
Post #: 4
RE: Editor map - 10/25/2011 7:18:12 PM   
Kaiser85

quote:

ORIGINAL: dwbradley

quote:

Kaiser85,

The pwhexe.dat editor is a small, simple program and is perhaps not the easiest to use. Based upon your description of the problem I would say that the most likely cause of your problem is that you have not saved your changes. I will try to explain and then create the example you talked about. The program is deliberately made to err on the safe side so that you will be less likely to mix up changed files with unchanged files. Don Bowen thinks I overdid this and he has an arguably valid point. At any rate we must use the program as it is until the next revision (no definite plans at this point). The normal procedure for using the editor to edit a single hexagon would be:

2. Start the editor.
5. READ the location.
7. WRITE the location.
9. Close the editor.
10. Move/Copy the pwhexe.dat to the AE root directory and start AE (the original is saved, right?). You should be able to see the changes in the game at this point.

To change multiple locations in the same way you would add a FINISH location to step four above. Try the above sequence of steps and tell me if you are successful. If not successful please let me know what you see that is wrong.

Good luck with this. We are all modders at heart and I want this tool to be useful and effective for all of the great modding to come.

Dave Bradley

Dear Dave

Thank for the explanation, but I did not reached a positive effect.
As in my previous experiments, I followed your steps:

2. Start the editor.
4. Set the START location to the desired hexagon. (I set up start location 0:0, finish location 12:12, so 12x12=144 hexagons)
5. READ the location.
6. Change the fields to the desired values. (I changed "hexagoin type" in Land and "terrain" in Mountain)
7. WRITE MULTIPLE the locations.
8. SAVE the file.
9. Close the editor.

Now, I saw that the 12x12 hexagons correspond to the Italian East Africa zone (top left corner), because these exagons are not selectable with the mouse, but they are not changed in mountain, they are always the same original hexagons.
What's the problem? Thanks

(in reply to dwbradley)
Post #: 5
RE: Editor map - 10/25/2011 7:52:44 PM   
dwbradley

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: dwbradley

quote:

Kaiser85,

2. Start the editor.
5. READ the location.
7. WRITE the location.
9. Close the editor.

Dave Bradley

Dear Dave

Thank for the explanation, but I did not reached a positive effect.
As in my previous experiments, I followed your steps:

2. Start the editor.
4. Set the START location to the desired hexagon. (I set up start location 0:0, finish location 12:12, so 12x12=144 hexagons)
5. READ the location.
6. Change the fields to the desired values. (I changed "hexagoin type" in Land and "terrain" in Mountain)
7. WRITE MULTIPLE the locations.
8. SAVE the file.
9. Close the editor.

Now, I saw that the 12x12 hexagons correspond to the Italian East Africa zone (top left corner), because these exagons are not selectable with the mouse, but they are not changed in mountain, they are always the same original hexagons.
What's the problem? Thanks

Hi Kaiser85,
Just to be sure I wasn't missing something I tried changing the 12 x 12 block in the upper left hand corner to all land/mountain. It worked fine for me. You can see that it is changed if you hit the 1 key to display terrain (within the AE game). I am wondering if you are confusing map data with map art.

The AE map consists of two parts. The map data contained in the pwhexe.dat, pwzone.dat, and pwzlink.dat files are the data part. The art is contained in the map panels found in the ART sub-folder (such as WPEH00.bmp which would contain the art for the 12 x 12 area under discussion by us). The AE program uses both parts to generate the scrollable display we see in the game.

My editors allow you to change the map data (within limits – you need a binary editor to be able to change all data to all possible values). To change the map art you would use the paint program of your choice.

Cheers!

Dave Bradley

(in reply to Kaiser85)
Post #: 6
RE: Editor map - 10/25/2011 10:17:46 PM   
Kaiser85

Ahhhhh now it's clear (almost all clear).
I need to edit the art files in the ART folder for the graphic part of the map (yes I had already made this with GIMP) and to use your editor for the date part (road, rr and so on).
Ok, however if I press 1 within the game, the hexagons that I have edited are marked with "Uh" and are not selectable again, how you can see in the image. If I press 4 the hexagons are marked with red XX (maybe I forgot some parameter in the editor?).

Last question is: How can I understand, to which coordinate, corresponds a precise hexagon? for example, which are the coordinate that I must type in the editor in order to edit San Francisco or PH?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Kaiser85 -- 10/25/2011 10:27:12 PM >

(in reply to dwbradley)
Post #: 7
RE: Editor map - 10/25/2011 10:28:00 PM   
Kaiser85

This is when I hit 4..

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Kaiser85)
Post #: 8
RE: Editor map - 10/25/2011 11:41:02 PM   
dwbradley

Kaiser85,
I'm glad to hear that this is helping. And now I understand your earlier comments.

There are keyboard shortcuts that reveal certain information about the map data, such as the 1 and 4 keys. I think there is a list near the front of the manual, although I am not certain if it is 100% up to date. Not every parameter can be shown using the keyboard shortcuts but they are a big help.

To try to deal with your specific questions. When you changed the 12 x 12 block of hexagons using WRITE (Multiple) I can see that you did not lock out any of the fields. That means that all of those hexagons were overwritten with the same data as 0,0. Since 0,0 is an off-map location it is not selectable. As are all of the locations in the 12 x 12 block. The red XX you see when you press 4 identifies the off-map hexagons. You can limit which fields are changed during a WRITE (Multiple) operation by using the lockout feature(s). There is some discussion of main map, sub-map, and off-map areas in the .pdf file.

So, to modify the data for a hexagon such as Pearl Harbor or San Francisco you need to know the location. And these hexagons are selectable and in the header above you can see the location data. In the screen shot you provided the location 13,10 is selected and you can see its coordinates in the header.

Dave Bradley

(in reply to Kaiser85)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Editor map Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI