Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: May Flowers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: May Flowers Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: May Flowers - 11/1/2011 10:45:43 PM   
Lecivius

As another totally random thought regarding Tarawa, by now you have 2 marine squadrons of Coronado supply planes, with another that can be converted.  These are REALLY nice in that you get a lot of them, they are only used by marines, and can resupply by air across a long range, and be supported by tenders.  They also do pretty good in moving smaller ground units.  These guys can help keep Tarawa supplied while your esteemed opponent gnashs his teeth trying to starve you out.  I don't see how he can LRCAP you at this point, so your losses should be sustainable.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 301
RE: May Flowers - 11/1/2011 11:29:39 PM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

As another totally random thought regarding Tarawa, by now you have 2 marine squadrons of Coronado supply planes, with another that can be converted.  These are REALLY nice in that you get a lot of them, they are only used by marines, and can resupply by air across a long range, and be supported by tenders.  They also do pretty good in moving smaller ground units.  These guys can help keep Tarawa supplied while your esteemed opponent gnashs his teeth trying to starve you out.  I don't see how he can LRCAP you at this point, so your losses should be sustainable.

Mili, Makinn, Nauru. See posts #283 and #286.

Alfred

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 302
RE: May Flowers - 11/2/2011 12:00:22 AM   
Crackaces

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

Mili, Makinn, Nauru. See posts #283 and #286.

Alfred

IJ is devleoping Milli is developing as we speak .. Makinn is going to be harder as the IJ fears the Dutch submarines and it is harder to project ASW everywhere but eventually teh Ij will develop Makinn . Nauru is still empty ..

In the meantime we position forces to support more atoll landings with BF's. I can eventually get more crap in the air and start fighting the war of attrition. Not so much airframes but supply. His foray into Oz is using 10 xAK's a day for example, 5 xAK's to China ,.. So far about 10xAK's of various types move in and out of Marshall's ... I need to drive this demand even higher ..

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 303
Sorting out Commands - 11/2/2011 4:14:13 PM   
Crackaces

The Allied HQ's are begining to come into theater. I have spent some time this turn dividing the world up into commands. The obvious commands are apparent. 10th AAF for example in India. But I have decided to station this group specifically at Cox's Bazzar and bring Ragoon into range for late '42. 5 Figher groups and the bomber groups are moving into postion. The II fighter group is moving to Ndeni ... You get the picture. This probably should have happened turn one but I just did not have a feel for how the plan would develop. Now its getting solidified at the operational level for 1942 - 1943.

A lot of work this turn operational planning the Gibert's. Three BF's are unloading at Canton Island. Each one is of the 720 troop zero cargo type. I have some CB's coming in 5 days. We are probably going to be forced to execute a mission like Nemo suggested. Bring the CV's in close loaded with nothing but fighters and amphibiously land some CB's on my atolls. FT is not going to work because we need the bulldozers to create airfields. The other possibility is to land on Kuria which is under cover from Nounti build the base over two weeks and move to Albemama .. slower because extracting the CB's and equipment will be under constant threat.

Then there is the hope that the IJ just decide to go somewhere else ...

Well we have 2 weeks here in Jun to continue to stage these forces. The ADP's are ready to FT when forces arrive.

This turn we will get a feel for how many Nell's can sustain pounding Tarawa ..about 3 -4 are damaged each raid but so far I am not seeing Nell operations losses from these raids yet.

More later ..

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 304
RE: Sorting out Commands - 11/2/2011 5:11:25 PM   
Crackaces

************************************************* 27 MAY 1942 ************************************
We begin with yet another attack on a CV with duds .. two hits no explosions ...

Sub attack near Roi-Namur at 130,117

Japanese Ships
CV Junyo
BB Mutsu
BB Nagato
CL Yubari
CS Chiyoda
DD Kuroshio
DD Asagao
DD Mochizuki
DD Kawakaze

Allied Ships
SS Gato

SS Gato launches 6 torpedoes at CV Junyo

The IJAAF decide to shift targets ..

Night Air attack on Dacca , at 56,38

Weather in hex: Light rain

Raid spotted at 16 NM, estimated altitude 5,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 13

No damage ..

The IJNAF is very serious about attacking Tarawa:

Morning Air attack on Tarawa , at 136,128

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid spotted at 31 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M2 Nell x 15

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 1

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M2 Nell: 2 destroyed

No Allied losses

Airbase hits 3
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 15

This pilot was left behind with a mission and when his plane was repaired he wnet to work killing 2 Nells ..But his sucess was short lived ..

Afternoon Air attack on Tarawa , at 136,128

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid spotted at 39 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 14 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 40
B4Y1 Jean x 3
B5N2 Kate x 54
D3A1 Val x 60

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 1

Japanese aircraft losses
D3A1 Val: 6 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
P-40E Warhawk: 1 destroyed

Allied ground losses:
5 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Airbase hits 13
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 37
Port hits 2

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 4
B5N2 Kate x 3
D3A1 Val x 7

No Japanese losses

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 4

6 Vals damaged is always good ...

Something I have not been posting is that my boys have been practicing bombing runs on Tulagi in preperation of bombing LYB's in Oz ..plus I wanted some recon on this island ..

Morning Air attack on 82nd Naval Guard Unit, at 114,137 (Tulagi)

Raid spotted at 28 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 8 minutes

Allied aircraft
B-17D Fortress x 4
B-17E Fortress x 6

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
11 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

We get another tank at Lashio and experience ..:

Morning Air attack on 1st Tank Regiment, at 63,46 , near Lashio

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid spotted at 17 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Allied aircraft
Blenheim IV x 49
Hudson IIIa x 12
Wellington Ic x 16

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
Vehicles lost 11 (1 destroyed, 10 disabled)

IN looking at the ASW contacts this turn [many!] it looks like Tarawa will experience multiple Bombardment attacks followed by air raids. I am dropping mines and patroling with the Dutch O class subamrines around Tarawa. The 'KX' class submarines continue concentric rings around tarawa at 8 hex ranage while the USN form multiple patrols in the area. Over 30+ submarines patrol this area looking for targets.

On the surface it looks gloomy for my boys .. but .. I have had 2 Submarine attacks on a CV in 2 days. An anology is playing JTs vs. AA in Texas Hold'em poker. Lots of flops are not very good for the hand and one folds whne the aces make a big bet ..Its 4-1 against ... but there are a few conditions where the Aces are trapped and the rewards are usually the entire stack .. . this is such a condition .. I just keep playing that JTs until it hits and the IJ goes all in ... we bag a CV in the confines of the Gilbert's ...

In the meantime it looks like the IJ will make this place a very difficult place to reinforce ...The Wasp is sailing to San Diego to join up with the group there ..and join the frey ... July might be interesting in the Gilbert's

< Message edited by Crackaces -- 11/2/2011 6:05:13 PM >

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 305
RE: Sorting out Commands - 11/2/2011 11:20:34 PM   
Lecivius

I hate dudding on carriers

And since my ignorance is showing, I thought LRCAP was effective proportional to distance.  Am I mistaken?  Otherwise only Makin will pose a serious LRCAP threat.  If I am mistaken, I'll go back to skulking in the shadows.

In any event, play on Ace.  Great stuff here

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 306
RE: Sorting out Commands - 11/3/2011 1:28:23 AM   
Crackaces

quote:

I hate dudding on carriers

And since my ignorance is showing, I thought LRCAP was effective proportional to distance.  Am I mistaken?  Otherwise only Makin will pose a serious LRCAP threat.  If I am mistaken, I'll go back to skulking in the shadows.

In any event, play on Ace.  Great stuff here

I have no clue how effective LRCAP is really .. in Burma I have been LRCAP'ing my bases without any success ..or interceptions . but the distance might be the problem ..

Makin has yet to be developed and so far the stuff has come from the Marshall's ..I am thinking this will be the continuing theme along with the KB .. unitl I wack a CV that is ..

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 307
RE: Sorting out Commands - 11/3/2011 7:20:43 AM   
DOCUP

LRCAP hasn't been that great for me.  But that just may be me.  Yes every AFBs dream of hitting a Jap carrier in 42 with a TT that goes boom.  The pilot training isn't bad if you look at it as another game.  I'm starting to like it.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 308
RE: Sorting out Commands - 11/3/2011 11:04:47 AM   
ny59giants

Allied Command HQs - I would have either the Central Pacific or South Pacific HQ prepping for your next invasion in the Gilberts. Get it to within the magical 18 hexes or closer so it can add a potential 90% increase in Assault Value.

Port Service Units - I would use these six units wisely. If you plan to unload your bulldozers at a base with a small or non-existing port, then I would Fast Transport them in to speed up the process. 30 Naval Support per unit does wonders for unloading Engineer Vehicle and Motorized Support.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 309
RE: Sorting out Commands - 11/3/2011 2:37:18 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Allied Command HQs - I would have either the Central Pacific or South Pacific HQ prepping for your next invasion in the Gilberts. Get it to within the magical 18 hexes or closer so it can add a potential 90% increase in Assault Value.

Port Service Units - I would use these six units wisely. If you plan to unload your bulldozers at a base with a small or non-existing port, then I would Fast Transport them in to speed up the process. 30 Naval Support per unit does wonders for unloading Engineer Vehicle and Motorized Support.

I did try to unload the Pacific Ocean Areas HQ at Tabetituea .. but the KB disrupted the adventure ... Mac is headed to a secret undisclose location ... But .. Question . I guess I need to RTFM but the HQ's have a 5 hex radius .. there is a different 18 hex radius with amphib effects including what you mentioned?

I have 3 units deployed right now ..2 enroute in Caton Island for further deployment into the Gilberts. One is on Tarawa, One is on Ndeni, one is on Luganville ...

Thanks for the post NY59giants .. discussion is good .. that is a good way for everybody to leatn ..

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 310
RE: Sorting out Commands - 11/3/2011 3:07:48 PM   
DOCUP

I keep forgetting about the HQs.  I need to find out which HQs have the 18 hex or the 5 hex range.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 311
RE: Sorting out Commands - 11/3/2011 3:59:27 PM   
ny59giants

Manual - page 178

Headquarters (8.1.1)

"Command - Helps in several ways. They help in giving a bonus to ground combat. If no Corp HQ is in range of a ground unit, the Command HQ can give a bonus like a Corp HQ if it is in range of a ground unit. If there is a Corp HQ withing range of the battle, and the Command HQ is within 2 times its command range of the battle, it can add up to an additional 90% bonus to the Assault Value of the attacking forces for odds calculations. The bonuses are impacted by the leadership rating of the commander of the HQs. Command HQs are also important for air replacements and upgrades."

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 312
June Swoon - 11/3/2011 5:53:54 PM   
Crackaces

********************************************************* 28 MAY 1942 ********************************

First I made a really dumb error. I let a returning convoy from Sydney sail on the northside of Tabeteua ... I should have intervined and rerouted the convoy ..

Morning Air attack on TF, near Nikunau at 140,131

Weather in hex: Heavy rain

Raid spotted at 10 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 3 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 4

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
xAP Nightingale, Torpedo hits 4, and is sunk

Then .. the Dutch let me down ..

Submarine attack near Makin at 136,124

Japanese Ships
AK Azumasan Maru

Allied Ships
SS KXVII

SS KXVII is sighted by AK Azumasan Maru
SS KXVII attacking on the surface

No hits .. here come the airplanes now from Makin ...

The IJNAF & KB do thier thing ..

Morning Air attack on Tarawa , at 136,128

Raid spotted at 16 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 7
G3M2 Nell x 13

No Japanese losses

Airbase hits 1
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 7

Raid spotted at 30 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 48
B5N2 Kate x 113
D3A1 Val x 108

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 6 damaged
D3A1 Val: 5 damaged

Allied ground losses:
10 casualties reported
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Airbase hits 8
Airbase supply hits 7
Runway hits 45

Then at SF we do some ASW work .. but the IJN get a DD ..

Sub attack near San Francisco at 218,72

Japanese Ships
SS I-27, hits 1

Allied Ships
DD Reid
DD Lamson
DD Dent
DD Schley

Sub attack near San Francisco at 218,72

Japanese Ships
SS I-27

Allied Ships
DD Reid, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Lamson
DD Dent

One redeeming event this turn ..

Submarine attack near Brisbane at 97,160

Japanese Ships
SS I-9, hits 13, and is sunk

Allied Ships
DD Nizam
DD Nestor

SS-I-9 surfaced after a critical hit and then the 4" guns started pelting her .. she was onfire when she "slipped below the surface". I suspect she is really really sunk.

Where the Nightengale was sunk is distrubing .. that means getting into an island at night only and dropping off BF's. Or .... starting another front .. Forces are still deploying for the Southwest Pacific under Mac .. we have to see how this develops.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 313
RE: June Swoon - 11/3/2011 10:36:09 PM   
DOCUP

Nice you got a sub.  I would love to start putting some dint and holes in a few.  I keep geting reports that my A20s are dropping 500lbers on them.  I think the guys are telling to many stories at the O club.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 314
RE: June Swoon - 11/3/2011 10:53:04 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

ORIGINAL: DOCUP

Nice you got a sub.  I would love to start putting some dint and holes in a few.  I keep geting reports that my A20s are dropping 500lbers on them.  I think the guys are telling to many stories at the O club.

Usually I find within two weeks I get a "sunk" report if the attack really happened and put a bomb home. Then sometime later a report that the sub is really really not sunk. Still a 500 pounder will hurt a submarine cripplng is great becauseit takes forever for them to make it to a port. Every once in awhile in 1942 I see something like above where teh subamrine sufaces and slips away ..

There is a quote in this forum from an experinced player that discusses that DC's get more powerful. I would assume Brit because I do not see anymore improvements in US DD's after they upgrade to ASW 6..

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 315
RE: June Swoon - 11/4/2011 6:15:21 PM   
Crackaces

************************************ 29 MAY 1942 ****************************************

Alfred is right .. I opened a theater that allows the IJ to use thier strategic assests and have in a way led the IJ player toward better play. My strategic assests needed to support this operation are far below what is required or is being demanded .. and that is without teh resistance of the IJ.

That said, I stubbornly hang on to the hope that my calcualtions are correct. I can hold out at Tarawa long enough to support the operation and have a little war of attrition .. and one of my submarines is going to bag a capitol ship in this very submarine dense environment. I look at the map and lots of subs occupy spaces with enemy ships but .. no contact today ..

That said .. Tarawa takes its lumps ..

Raid spotted at 33 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 6
G3M2 Nell x 13

No Japanese losses

Airbase hits 4
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 7

fternoon Air attack on Tarawa , at 136,128

Raid spotted at 7 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 2 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 17

No Japanese losses

Airbase hits 2
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 26

I was hoping for more operation losses from those Nell's by now ..today 2 Lilly's in Oz are scrapped.

Ok Tarawa ....I have 20K supply on the nose. I will start tracking my estimates of supply loss over time.

Now speaking about Oz .. the IJ has committed a bunch of bombers to the frey ..

Morning Air attack on NW Australia Base Force, at 76,131 (Daly Waters)

Raid spotted at 17 NM, estimated altitude 6,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 41

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-48-Ib Lily: 13 damaged

Allied ground losses:
41 casualties reported
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 5 disabled

Meanwhile we stage 400AV at Tennet Creek. This will take a week of movement ...I sure hope I understand how supply works ...

There is a bunch of activity in the DEI but to me it is insignificant .. I predict this mop up operation will complete next month and the IJ will head toward taking Cocos Is and points west. I susepct they ... like most IJFB's I have come to know through this forum believe that a god offense makes a great defense .. and then reality comes along in terms of Allied reinforcements ...

More later ..

< Message edited by Crackaces -- 11/4/2011 7:23:20 PM >

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 316
RE: June Swoon - 11/4/2011 7:37:58 PM   
Crackaces

******************************************** 30 MAY 1942 *************************************

My submarines have been effective at one thing so far .. recon. I count 10 BB's in 3 TF's. The IJ has committed a lot of forces to the Gilbert's. The IJ player is doing what Alfred suggested and that is to build Malkin as a base. We will have to figure out a way to build up some bases around Tarawa in the meantime. At least before the supplies run out. The sucessive bombings have used up about 1K of supplies in a week but that included the KB's effort.

The other role for my submarines have not been as effective as I hoped. As one can see I have submarines sharing space with the enemy but no contacts for attacks this turn. I still contend it only takes one torp to change this theater.

As a side note .. Burma is devleoping quite well. We should have what it takes to counter-offense by December. In the meantime we keep attacking units moving in the open.

I let the supply at PH drop a little low .. but convoys are coming as I write this .. for the next 4 turns we should see convoys dropping of good's ...

More later ..

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 317
RE: June Swoon - 11/4/2011 9:19:28 PM   
Crackaces

There is an excellent thread going on in GreyJoy's AAR. He is playing scenrario #2. [BTW) Why introduce a newbie Allied player to the game using scenrario #2? The good news is . GreyJoy is kicking butt! ]

Anyway.. we are playing scenrario #1. Following the links I have come to discover that the IJ pilot pool looks like this:

quote:

inqistor:

Scenario 1:
year Army Navy
pool 2202 1700
1941 195 150
1942 185 150
1943+ 615 480

The IJ between December of 1941 and June 1 1941 have lost about 2000 aircraft of which about 1K is A2A and flak over my land ... Most of these aircraft are 2 engine bomber type airframes. This I understand from the thread is the total numbers in the school pool and does not include reserve and replacement pools. What this tells me that unless I understand this wrong .. the IJ is about 1/2 was down the starting pool given he is replacing units, and some units have to be training in the field !?! This also tells me that a sub hit on a CV is going to be devastating at this point ..a risk for sure in the Gilbert's...

What will unfold is the ability for the IJ economy to sustain the level of operations out here and in Oz .. and in Burma ... that as a newbie I am quite uncertain ..

Ok more later ..

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 318
RE: June Swoon - 11/4/2011 9:32:58 PM   
DOCUP

Where is Waldo?

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 319
RE: June Swoon - 11/4/2011 9:45:27 PM   
Crackaces

Where is a damn Dutch sub commander that can get a torp on target when I need it! Note the color difference between submarine tokens and you can see I have the Dutch well positioned ... but they have yet to hit anything ..

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 320
RE: June Swoon - 11/4/2011 11:09:06 PM   
Crackaces

************************************************ 30 MAY 1942 ********************************************

100% moonlight target rich environment ....and the no less than 10 submarines just let the SAG walk on by .. I might have based my orginal assumptions not understanding how the game works

Night Naval bombardment of Tarawa at 136,128

Japanese Ships
BB Haruna
BB Kongo
CA Kako
CA Furutaka
CA Kinugasa
CA Aoba

Allied ground losses:
311 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 5 destroyed, 18 disabled
Engineers: 10 destroyed, 9 disabled
Vehicles lost 5 (2 destroyed, 3 disabled)

Airbase hits 1
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 15
Port hits 11
Port supply hits 3

BB Haruna firing at Tarawa
BB Kongo firing at Tarawa
CA Kako firing at 24th Infantry Division
CA Furutaka firing at Tarawa
CA Kinugasa firing at 24th Infantry Division
CA Aoba firing at Tarawa

Ok well this will continue .. still 20K supplies based there so the supply hits are not as devastating yet ..I suspect this will continue until a submarine does its thing .

also strangly enough .. I see all kinds of hits in the bomb sights but no results ...

Raid spotted at 18 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
Blenheim IV x 47
Hudson IIIa x 12

No Allied losses

I guess I have to pick a different target and this one is all used up?

In Oz the IJ has brought in escorts ..

Morning Air attack on Daly Waters , at 76,131

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid spotted at 23 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 8
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 45

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-48-Ib Lily: 7 damaged

Airbase hits 7
Airbase supply hits 4
Runway hits 12

We send in 8 B17's to get some bombing practice in ..

Morning Air attack on 21st Ind.Mixed Brigade, at 76,129 , near Katherine

Raid spotted at 45 NM, estimated altitude 4,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 13 minutes

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 8

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
25 casualties reported
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

We do have an unfortunate accident

Pilot killed in landing accident of B-17E Fortress from 11th BG/26th BS

I think the most distressing thing about this Combat Report is that we are not shooting any torpedoes off .. I was expecting misses, duds and chase offs .... but I was not expecting no shots at all while he simply bombards ..This was an incorrect assumption and I might have relied too much on the Psychological threat of submarines .. I suspect that unitl a torp finds its mark and sinks something this will be a daily occurance ...

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 321
RE: June Swoon - 11/5/2011 12:00:39 AM   
ny59giants

So many needs, so few PPs. 

Many of your subs probably could use a new leader, but that option is usually pushed back for other more pressing needs until you get in a situation you are facing now. Such is war.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 322
RE: June Swoon - 11/5/2011 3:15:58 AM   
Crackaces

quote:

So many needs, so few PPs. 

Many of your subs probably could use a new leader, but that option is usually pushed back for other more pressing needs until you get in a situation you are facing now. Such is war.

Actually n59giants .. I did replace all the sub commanders to at least 60 leadership , 60 agression , 60 naval .. with the exception of a few Dutch submarines because these guys are simply not there .. Submarines were a key componet of this plan and I at least made the leader switches ..

Submarines are completly random events in my mind gravy like LRCAP ..but certainly not strategic assests to rely an operational plan on ... I had made a calculation of P(.20) asuming some contacts which we had a couple but not enough given the density and the fact right now 4 TF's occupy the same hex as 4 sub TF's but not even a chase off ..

We shall see how this progresses .. I have built both AUS divisions .. and I rebuilt the 22 & 27 Bdges destroyed at Singapore to eventually form I AUS at Alice Springs. This will change the game in Oz ..

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 323
RE: June Swoon - 11/5/2011 6:37:04 AM   
ny59giants

Great to hear you changed your sub leaders. That is often overlooked. I'm not going to do much there until Jan 43 when the dud rate goes down.

I've reformed the 8th Aussie Division and allowing it to fill out for one main reason. It is assigned to ABDA command and I don't need to spend PPs on it.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 324
RE: June Swoon - 11/5/2011 3:13:41 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

Great to hear you changed your sub leaders. That is often overlooked. I'm not going to do much there until Jan 43 when the dud rate goes down.

I've reformed the 8th Aussie Division and allowing it to fill out for one main reason. It is assigned to ABDA command and I don't need to spend PPs on it.

I have 800 IJA AV occupying Oz .. So I am thinking one big Corps would be better to fight at Tennent Creek .. I could be wrong as I often am in this game .. A Corps takes more supply but it is not overkill because 200 IJA AV will occupy Daily Waters and the rest of the IJA is coming up the road.

As a newbie I was deceived in the early game. My submarines got really really lucky and sank 20 xAK's and xAPx in the month of December, That was with the bad commanders. So I am thinking P(.20) with some decent commanders and given 40+ opportunities -- ony one capitol ship bagged would accomplish the mission. So before comitting to the Tarawa campaign I replaced the submarine commanders. Everthing has worked thus far with the exception of getting the expected submarine shots.

If in fact it is P(.20) as I deciribed before, even though a submarine attack is a series of independent events 2 torp hits become 3:2 against one of them exploding. Again, it only takes one to make my day. So I spent the PP's to try and increase the odds of that happening .. and so far submarine warfare has been random events rather than decreasing variabliility ... so you might be right .. .it might not be worth the investment until '43

I did get 2 shots at a CV and one shot at a 10K tonne oiler otherwise no shots on the bombardment missions in two weeks of a very dense target rich environment many times subamrines and targets occupying the same hex ...

For those that have seen WWII in Color you will understand ... for those who haven't .. think a calm Essex accent describing the same scences over and over again but with different context in history...

[Scene pans to the same IJN BB's and scences of the KB hitting Pearl Harobor] you have seen in prior episodes] "The Japanese were surprised by the American attack on Tarawa, but quickly repsonded [scene of daylight bombardment and GI's running .. many leaping into foxholes]. Admeral Nimitz and Admeral King had a quandry. [Same scene as other episodes looking at a map of the war in 1945 but this is 1942]. "Any attempt to relieve Tarawa would be met by the entire Japaneese Navy. [same BB' scene as the begining of this snippet but different angle this time]. The American's were not prepared to fight yet on the Japanese terms. [scene cuts to our "Admeral Alfred" who told me so ]. The Japanse this time, unlike the battle of Baker Island, would be under the patrol cover of thier Mavis PA's and Betty Bombers. The entire IJN KB would support the endless bombardment of Tarawa. The Allies would need the submarine force to save the day, and so far they have failed" [scene cuts to a very worried 24th Division Commander ...cut to commercial ..]

< Message edited by Crackaces -- 11/5/2011 3:16:58 PM >

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 325
RE: June Swoon - 11/5/2011 3:51:44 PM   
Crackaces

In scenrario one and the way this game is unfolding the IJ player is hurting on the bomber side for pilots. As stated before there are about 1800 Navy pilots total in the pool at start. There are about 85 trained replacement to fill out losses that come into being around this time. Mostly fighter trained jocks ...

In looking at this there is the KB still intact. The rest of the IJNAF, especally the bomber force has taken a beating. I have noted the operations losses from using the battlefield to train pilots.

To me this means Tennent Creek is getting to be more important as the IJ has comitted weak fighter units in Darwin as well as under trained Sally pilots. This could be an area to exploit weak defensive skills.

The Gilbert's remain an area now to keep the attention of the IJN. SST's and Transport craft can resupply Tarawa at the current rate of supply attrition. The goal is to keep the front open right now until enough resources can be marshalled to set up a front to do air war. The good news is that Tabetituea is too strong for the KB's liking. My 200 P-39's and P-40's would be easily overwhelmed but at what cost in A2A and operations losses? The current status of the KB being the main force for projection of power -- The flak and experinced P-40 pilots will extact enough of a toll to make this proposition expensive. The danger of pyrrhic victory for the IJNAF is quite real.

That is where we are at strategically, & operationally as of JUN '42 in the airwar.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 326
RE: June Swoon - 11/5/2011 4:37:32 PM   
ny59giants

Getting supply past Alice Spring to Tennant Creek is not possible without the use of massive amounts of transport planes. It just doesn't flow through the trail in that desert. If you can figure it out, many players playing the Allied side will want to known your secret.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 327
RE: June Swoon - 11/5/2011 4:46:41 PM   
Redd

What about some sub layed mines at Tarawa? That might slow him down a bit.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 328
RE: June Swoon - 11/5/2011 5:39:51 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

Getting supply past Alice Spring to Tennant Creek is not possible without the use of massive amounts of transport planes. It just doesn't flow through the trail in that desert. If you can figure it out, many players playing the Allied side will want to known your secret.

This might be a problem

Well the troops have brought along supplies, which will last 2 weeks given a division uses 1500 supply per month?.. but in the lastest release I am getting 100 supply per week down that trail. I set 2 months ago the base for 15K supply hording and Alice Springs to 25K+ ... right now 300 supplies are at Tennet Creek and 5 base units units are being supported. I saw a huge change in the latest patches of pushing some supples through the trail. Clearly not enough .. but some ..

I have 20 transports heading that way which is an additional 20 of supply per day. 600 supplies for the month.. that will not support a division for a month for sure and that excluding fighting plus CAP at 1/3 a point per day 12 fighters .....I need an additional 30 transports ..

In my thinking it takes only one decisive battle ... but you are right .. once we smack the LYB's ...after that .. than those forces will have to retreat back to Alice Springs disrupted by a lack of supply ...or face destruction in detail .. that is my thinking thus far ..

Wow I have to decide to resupply Tennet Creek or Tarawa with transports ....

As far as mines go .. so far the submarine mines have not been effective ... we will invest in laying a 100 more consistently this month ..

************************************************* 31 MAY 1942 ****************************************

There is a discussion on the Tech Thread about this but the Lilly's come at night in thunderstorms ..during the monssons ..and my fighters do not intercept ..[Note 2 more squdrons are at this base flying night duty ]

Night Air attack on Dacca , at 56,38

Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Raid detected at 16 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 8

Allied aircraft
Mohawk IV x 2

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-48-Ib Lily: 1 damaged

No Allied losses

At Tarawa the bombers come ..

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 8
G3M2 Nell x 13

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M2 Nell: 1 damaged

Runway hits 3

Raid spotted at 10 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 3 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 17

No Japanese losses

Port hits 3
Port supply hits 1

Our attacks in Burma are not getting results so I susepct this armored unit is depleted ..

Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
Blenheim IV x 46
Wellington Ic x 16

Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim IV: 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
9 casualties reported
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Time to find another target for sure ..

In the Land of Oz we turn our B17Es loose to do some bombing training ..

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid spotted at 42 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 11

Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
82 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 11 disabled

Sabang fell this turn ...

So that is it for "May Flowers"! Now we are fully into the June Swoon ...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Crackaces -- 11/5/2011 5:40:42 PM >

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 329
June Swoon - 11/6/2011 12:43:46 AM   
Crackaces

***************************************** 01 JUN 1942 ********************************

I resupplied Akyab with some suicidal xAKL's and they drew some attention .. first an attempt to attack the airfield at night ..

Night Air attack on Akyab , at 54,45

Raid detected at 33 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 10 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 8

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-48-Ib Lily: 7 damaged

7 Damaged no losses and no damage ..

Then another 7 come ..

Night Air attack on Akyab , at 54,45

Raid detected at 24 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 7

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-48-Ib Lily: 2 damaged
Ki-48-Ib Lily: 1 destroyed by flak

This time one of them meets a 20mm shell .. and two more are damaged ..

The then as the sun rises an armada escorted by zero's the meet 2 squadrons of experinced RAF ...

Morning Air attack on Akyab , at 54,45

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid detected at 21 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 8 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 12
G3M2 Nell x 24

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIb Trop x 37

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 3 destroyed
G3M2 Nell: 6 destroyed, 5 damaged
G3M2 Nell: 1 destroyed by flak

No Allied losses

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 4

The RAF and flak take out 7 Nell's ..29% of the force .. crown an ace WO Smith, E.B. of No.67 Sqn RAF attains ace status!!
The engineers will be working overtime to fix teh runway ..

OZ:

We visit the 21st Ind.Mixed Brigade and invite them to tea ..they demonstrate their rudeness by inviting Oscar ..

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid spotted at 26 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 10

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 16

No Japanese losses

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
94 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 5 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 9 disabled
Vehicles lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)

The fact that in the animation the Oscars were immediatly driven off by defensive fire tells me these guys lack experince or the commander lacks air skill ..

Our operations will change next turn .. more later ..

< Message edited by Crackaces -- 11/6/2011 12:44:02 AM >

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: May Flowers Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI