Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

One Unlucky I-boat

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> One Unlucky I-boat Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
One Unlucky I-boat - 11/8/2011 1:46:20 AM   
Atilla60

June 18. 1942 (PBEM, me as Japanese)

It's been awhile since my subs achieved anything noteworthy. So I decided to revise their patrol zones in general.

In the vicinity of <classified>, I found I-160 patrolling at an remarkably low speed. Upon inspecting the boat, I was astonished to realize that it had some serious damages:
Sys 43
Flt 12 (5)
Eng 8 (2)
+ Deck gun destroyed

What puzzles me is, that in this particular patrol zone, there had been no activity whatsoever, not at any point.
I therefore decided to do a little detective work (thank god for WitpTracker and Combatreporter )
It turned out that whatever happened, it happened on turn 171 (May 25. 1942). Almost a month ago - game time.
Scanning through the OP report for that day left me confused. On a lower level, but still.
The only thing mentioned in the report, indicating something (ASW?) is this line:

quote:

a Japanese SS is reported HIT

No name, no location - hooray for IJN communications

Now, I'm 99.9% confident that at no point during the combat replay, was there any messages, suggesting activity in that particular area. No sub attack, no ASW combat, no reports on accidents aboard. Nothing, nada, zip.
Otherwise I would have been aware of the boat's condition, as I always, with no exceptions, check a TF if it has been spotted or, as in this case (probably), subject for an ASW attack.

Anyway, for now I'm filing this under "Stuff that happens", but I would like to hear if any of you guys have similar experiences.

Besides, this is not the first time I-160 is in trouble. I remember, and Tracker supports, that earlier in 1942, during the Sumatra invasion, I-160 was heavily damaged while on a mine laying mission Off Soerabaja. Also in this case there's no mentioning in the OP report of what happened.
It was the same skipper though (Nav 70 - Agr 66).
Scratching my head..... Can an aggressive commander provoke accidents?

Any thoughts?

It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Post #: 1
RE: One Unlucky I-boat - 11/8/2011 1:49:16 AM   
frankycee

Guess an enemy ASW plane spotted it and attacked, no combat replay on those... I think that's it.

(in reply to Atilla60)
Post #: 2
RE: One Unlucky I-boat - 11/8/2011 3:14:11 PM   
crsutton

Probably Air ASW. You should get in the habit of going to your ship list screen and filtering out all other ships but subs and then click on the flotation tab. The ones with the most damage will move to the top. Do this at least every other turn. (I do it every turn). A lot of subs can get damaged and you won't notice it. This way you can find the ones that need to be sent home.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to frankycee)
Post #: 3
RE: One Unlucky I-boat - 11/8/2011 3:17:19 PM   
GreyJoy

maybe, if it was too far away from a coast to get damaged by LBA Air ASW, could be a lucky shot by a kingfinisher aboard an allied cruiser that was simply passing by...rare but happens

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 4
RE: One Unlucky I-boat - 11/8/2011 4:42:17 PM   
Cavalry Corp

I have also had subs damaged like this. sometimes i wonder if its the obcure "marine obstacle"! that is mentioned in the rules but could also be a fp as mentioned above.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 5
RE: One Unlucky I-boat - 11/8/2011 6:10:14 PM   
Mynok

My guess it is was spotted and hit by naval search.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to Cavalry Corp)
Post #: 6
RE: One Unlucky I-boat - 11/8/2011 6:43:07 PM   
jeffk3510

Naval search.

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 7
RE: One Unlucky I-boat - 11/8/2011 10:47:47 PM   
Atilla60

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I gave it a good night's sleep and have landed on the same conclusion as seems to be the consensus here, air ASW.
Considering that the turn in question was run with the latest official patch, and the distance to the nearest Allied airbase (10-12), I'd say a TF passing by.
So until proven otherwise, the commander is off the hook.

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

You should get in the habit of going to your ship list screen and filtering out all other ships but subs and then click on the flotation tab. The ones with the most damage will move to the top. Do this at least every other turn. (I do it every turn).

I'm definitely making this my first thing to do each turn from now on. Thanks for the heads up.

It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
-Sir Winston Churchill-

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 8
RE: One Unlucky I-boat - 11/9/2011 1:00:55 AM   
Mynok

Note that naval search is different from air asw.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to Atilla60)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> One Unlucky I-boat Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI