Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is it cheesy to use German units in 'The Victors'?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Is it cheesy to use German units in 'The Victors'? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is it cheesy to use German units in 'The Victors'? - 1/8/2001 5:33:00 AM   
Toey

I was wondering what you guys think? I have played the first map about 6 times and at best got a marginal. So I was think about who to win with not too many casualties. And my evil little brain thought of this. As part of my core for, I could use one section of 88s and one platoon of Wulframbersxsdfsds (SP - but you know what I'm talking about, the rocket Half Tracks) Would you guys think that it's just not cricket to use these forces? My logic is that the USA have defeated Germany, so now they are up aginst the USSR. Why not use some of the old German gear and put it to good use!

Post #: 1
- 1/8/2001 9:33:00 AM   
jerrek

an interesting question. I suppose the obvious anwser is that politics would stop all large scale use of german equipment and/or personal and of course the german industry would have been difficult to mobilse (particularly with probably some important factories in red hands). I suppose politically it would have been better to see lots of US soldiers die in shermans against t34/85 and js2/3 rather than put them in panthers and tiger2's (nazi vehichles) with which the germans slaughtered the russian tanks.

(in reply to Toey)
Post #: 2
- 1/8/2001 10:19:00 AM   
Bing

(1) Let us not forget: As the Sherman progressed thru development, it was better armored and gunned. The Jumbo 76 is a good match for Vg's, tho probably not the biggest Tigers. (2) "What-if" scenarios featuring "acquired" equipment are fun, but the rationale usually fails to take into account maintenance. Spare parts alone for German AFV's would be a collosal headache, probably insuperable. Different ammo, etc and so forth. As a fantasy play, I think US operating German equip would be great. Pure fantasy from everything I learned in the US Army. Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to Toey)
Post #: 3
- 1/8/2001 11:27:00 AM   
Lou

I played around with this as well. A funny thing happend tho'. My German Panthers became frozen in place and hardly ever rallied. I checked the unit and found that that tank's rally number was "0". Is there a provision in the game that if you use "captured" equipment there is a penalty? Lou

(in reply to Toey)
Post #: 4
- 1/8/2001 12:35:00 PM   
Lars Remmen

quote:

Originally posted by Lou: I played around with this as well. A funny thing happend tho'. My German Panthers became frozen in place and hardly ever rallied. I checked the unit and found that that tank's rally number was "0". Is there a provision in the game that if you use "captured" equipment there is a penalty? Lou
Hello, Rally goes to zero once you fail a rally attampt. On the next turn it should be back to normal. Until you fail again. ------------------ Lars Nec Temere - Nec Timide

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to Toey)
Post #: 5
- 1/8/2001 1:32:00 PM   
AmmoSgt

I would think that either side could use german gear ..i know the AI wouldn't select it but with Wild Bill doing the scenarios i am suprised that the Ruskies weren't doing recondo with Panthers and east germans

"For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary periods, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which

(in reply to Toey)
Post #: 6
- 1/8/2001 2:35:00 PM   
skukko

After playing many pbem games against russians I would say that AI should buy Captured equipment. Afterall Sovjet had numerous amount of equipment falling to their hands after Axis turned their machine to go home. This didn't happen at western front as most of the tanks were burned by crew after they desided to surrender or walk back to Berlin. Just after surrendering german armoury was rare because of fact above. I'll agree jerrek's and Bing's point of views. But for fun mosh

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

(in reply to Toey)
Post #: 7
- 1/8/2001 5:10:00 PM   
Toey

A quick update. The Rocket Unit is working out fine. The 88s got left at the start line (I forgot to buy transport!) I would only use equipment as I can't see the GI fighting along side Jerry!

(in reply to Toey)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Is it cheesy to use German units in 'The Victors'? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI