Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: WITP AE on 60" widescreen TV?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: WITP AE on 60" widescreen TV? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WITP AE on 60" widescreen TV? - 8/23/2011 6:35:37 PM   
Lecivius

Yeah, I would like to see it with 1920 x 1080 resolution.  I have a 72" Toshiba.  It would be a PIA to re-run from my DT to the tube, but depending on how yours looks I may need to go through the effort.

Nice room, BTW

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 31
RE: WITP AE on 60" widescreen TV? - 8/24/2011 6:14:16 AM   
Pascal_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

As promised!

Oh......My.......God....

So much WitP and so little time to play.... :-(

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 32
RE: WITP AE on 60" widescreen TV? - 8/24/2011 5:43:34 PM   
zuluhour

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhh

(in reply to Pascal_slith)
Post #: 33
RE: WITP AE on 60" widescreen TV? - 8/24/2011 6:15:48 PM   
AW1Steve

He's another view with the map and ship data screen.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by AW1Steve -- 8/24/2011 6:18:05 PM >

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 34
RE: WITP AE on 60" widescreen TV? - 8/24/2011 7:51:36 PM   
mikkey

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 35
RE: WITP AE on 60" widescreen TV? - 8/25/2011 1:48:18 AM   
oldman45

quote:

Now you're just rubbing it in

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 36
RE: WITP AE on 60" widescreen TV? - 8/25/2011 3:03:25 AM   
AW1Steve

May I'll have some screen shots of sinking ships for you this weekend. Chickenboy wants to try a "hotseat" game!

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 37
RE: WITP AE on 60" widescreen TV? - 8/25/2011 3:21:21 AM   
nashvillen

I am trying to convince work to get one of these... To do GIS work on, of course... ;)

http://www.touchtable.com/products-tt84.php

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 38
RE: WITP AE on 60" widescreen TV? - 8/25/2011 3:22:44 AM   
AW1Steve

Very,very nice!

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 39
RE: WITP AE on 60" widescreen TV? - 8/25/2011 8:29:52 PM   
LeeChard

My wife and I share a small office. I will have to move her out to get that screen in there.
This might be a bit tough on the marriage....

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 40
RE: WITP AE on 60" widescreen TV? - 8/26/2011 3:02:51 PM   
jeffk3510

Just buy her something to keep her out of the office...it works, trust me.

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 41
RE: WITP AE on 60" widescreen TV? - 8/26/2011 11:59:56 PM   
Numdydar

My monitor seems so small now

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 42
RE: WITP AE on 60" widescreen TV? - 8/27/2011 12:02:40 AM   
Pascal_slith

Went to Costco today and stopped to look at the 70" screen, hesitated, then unfortunately looked at my wallet....

So much WitP and so little time to play.... :-(

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 43
RE: WITP AE on 60" widescreen TV? - 8/27/2011 8:30:26 AM   
inqistor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xargun

quote:

ORIGINAL: inqistor

Most of modern TVs have standard monitor slot, you just put there cable, and can pin any PC. Wiring sound is somehow more complicated, but also doable.
I have permanently attached monitor cable in my TV, but the only game I have tried so far was MoO2 (and I think it have 800x600 resolution max).

Sound is easy - just use the headphone output and an adapter to convert it to 2 RCA plugs and away you go. That's what I do for an old laptop that we have hooked to the TV for Netflix.

Both this cord and the VGA ones should be available at places like Best Buy, Radio Shack, etc...

Oh yeah, I have not thought of that. It could be possible to use my camcorder cable...
However, there is dedicated mini-jack slot, near RBG monitor slot, described as PC SOUND. I was not able to get it to work, but I actually used old cable, I have got from friend 20 years ago, for my C64, and I am not even sure this particular link even worked, as mini-jack is extra to monitor link. However, maybe I can use just one of those common 3 connectors? I am not sure it is possible to buy just single mini-jack mini-jack cable.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Nice sword. I presume that one is a decoy and another is within reach?

There are about a dozen or so hung in the dining , living and game room. Only one is actually still sharp. And only I know which one! For you JFB's, that's a IJA officers dress staff sword. It may have been sharp once (but I doubt it!) but it ain't now!

Frankly, I am not sure I have seen any Japanese officer with European Sabre, not Katana. Maybe in Cavalry?

quote:

A lap Harp. Like the piano next to it , it belongs to my spouse. I don't play any instrument. She plays several.

Uuu, I like this composiion. Does she plays any traditional Japanese instrument? Harp may sounds like one of those. You are playing WITP, when she, in traditional Kimono, plays historical music - very thematic.

quote:

Hmm, circle seems kinda eliptical, so it is possible you have not set your PC to 16:9 ratio. And star seems kinda blocky, so maybe you are not using full HD resolution? I am not sure it is possible to change resolution in un-windowed mode, but those are simple switches in exe shortcut.

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 44
RE: WITP AE on 60" widescreen TV? - 8/27/2011 9:04:42 AM   
Gunner98

Just checked and an HDMI cable works like a charm - not sure if there is any difference between that and a VGA cable when it comes to the game but it does work

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 45
RE: WITP AE on 60" widescreen TV? - 8/27/2011 9:36:52 AM   
inqistor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gunner98

Just checked and an HDMI cable works like a charm - not sure if there is any difference between that and a VGA cable when it comes to the game but it does work

Well, you should get sound with it, but I have read, that WINDOWS can have problems with some drivers, for sound over HDMI.

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 46
RE: WITP AE on 60" widescreen TV? - 8/27/2011 2:43:50 PM   
Strike502

Man and I thought it was sweet looking at WoW on a 60"!! I'm using a 23" WS and it's way better than the 21" I had. Right now I'm shopping for a 36" one only because I don't want it overpowering the 36" TV I have now and really make the GF MK VI unit go through the roof. Hmmm... I wonder if there will be a MK VIII unit in the future after THAT purchess?

Army: A body of men assembled to rectify the mistakes of the diplomats. – Josephus Daniels

Avatar: 25th Infantry Division "Tropic Lighting"

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 47
RE: WITP AE on 60" widescreen TV? - 8/27/2011 4:57:54 PM   
Buck Beach

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xargun

quote:

ORIGINAL: inqistor

Most of modern TVs have standard monitor slot, you just put there cable, and can pin any PC. Wiring sound is somehow more complicated, but also doable.
I have permanently attached monitor cable in my TV, but the only game I have tried so far was MoO2 (and I think it have 800x600 resolution max).

Sound is easy - just use the headphone output and an adapter to convert it to 2 RCA plugs and away you go. That's what I do for an old laptop that we have hooked to the TV for Netflix.

Both this cord and the VGA ones should be available at places like Best Buy, Radio Shack, etc...

And now you have me thinking of running my turns on the big TV - not sure I can pry it away from my son though. And in a fight he (and his army of toy soldiers and action figures) always seem to beat me up...

Xargun

Just a be careful when buying a TV having this in mind. Many modern TVs do not have RCA connections, my 54in Panasonic for example. Pissed me off.

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 48
RE: WITP AE on 60" widescreen TV? - 11/15/2011 9:17:24 PM   
RRStewart

Is this where old gamers end up if they've been good?

(in reply to Buck Beach)
Post #: 49
RE: WITP AE on 60" widescreen TV? - 11/15/2011 11:03:39 PM   
Feinder

quote:

DA*N, I want one.

A lap harp?

No there's a man who is confident in his masculinity!

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 50
RE: WITP AE on 60" widescreen TV? - 11/16/2011 7:36:32 AM   
Akos Gergely

If you are amazed at that, what about Witp in 2560x1440 resolution ;) I've even tried eyefinity on 7680X1440 with 3 monitors but the game engine doesn'T handle that unfortunately...

So I'd say there is not much point in running on a 60" screen in full HD, you can do that perfectly on the much cheaper 32-40" ones. And the ultra high res monitors are even better choice.

Here is a screenshot for teaser for the ultra high res:

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 51
RE: WITP AE on 60" widescreen TV? - 11/16/2011 11:25:30 AM   
wdolson

There are currently two technologies for getting video signal from the computer to the monitor.  The old VGA is analog.  The computer converts the signal to analog, and an old CRT monitor would use it directly.  LCD monitors use digital signals.  Most have converters to handle VGA signals, but they take DVI cables (the connector with the weird key pin and it's usually white)which is their native way of taking video in.

HDMI is just a different way of packaging DVI that also has a channel for sound data too.  Many video cards (and lap tops) come with HDMI connectors now which enable you to get sound from a computer to an HDMI capable monitor (including most modern TVs).  I have a small desktop computer under our coffee table with an HDMI cable running to the TV.  We use it to watch streaming video from the net.  I could run AE on it, but usually the only time the TV is ever on, my SO wants to watch something.  I rarely think of turning on the TV when I'm alone.

Plus I have dual 24 inch monitors in the family room with a work computer, so when I'm not working, I can play AE while she watches something on TV.  Having it on a 60 inch TV is intriguing though...

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Akos Gergely)
Post #: 52
RE: WITP AE on 60" widescreen TV? - 11/16/2011 12:39:15 PM   
obvert

Hmmmm. Interesting. I have a projector. This would work at wall size! Never thought of that. I need to go give it a try tonight.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 53
RE: WITP AE on 60" widescreen TV? - 11/16/2011 6:23:21 PM   
Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: csatahajos

If you are amazed at that, what about Witp in 2560x1440 resolution ;) I've even tried eyefinity on 7680X1440 with 3 monitors but the game engine doesn'T handle that unfortunately...

So I'd say there is not much point in running on a 60" screen in full HD, you can do that perfectly on the much cheaper 32-40" ones. And the ultra high res monitors are even better choice.

Here is a screenshot for teaser for the ultra high res:

is the magnifying glass included?

(in reply to Akos Gergely)
Post #: 54
RE: WITP AE on 60" widescreen TV? - 11/16/2011 6:28:57 PM   
Treetop64

quote:

As promised!

Are all the screens stretched in the game on your TV, or just the menus? And can that be fixed?

Still, looks nice. I have to go to Radio Shack to get a dongle and try that from my laptop...

Nice lookin' place you got there, too.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 55
RE: WITP AE on 60" widescreen TV? - 11/16/2011 7:15:14 PM   
USSAmerica

Tree, it looks like Steve had the full screen option set for AE.  That will stretch the game display for any screen that is not 4:3 ratio.  If you set it to window mode and specify your TV's resolution (likely 1920x1080 for HD) the menus should display as a small part of the screen, and then the map will be displayed normally, with MUCH more of it available in the view.  

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Treetop64)
Post #: 56
RE: WITP AE on 60" widescreen TV? - 11/16/2011 9:59:59 PM   
zuluhour

Sure beats playin on a palm pilot.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 57
RE: WITP AE on 60" widescreen TV? - 11/16/2011 11:28:43 PM   
AW1Steve

Just to explain, the TV was set up as an experiment. The Game setting is for my laptop, and I hooked the TV up through the laptop. I do not , and never have played on the tv (I'm not THAT much of a geek, or that nearsighted!). And I'm sure that if I screwed around all day I could get it perfect. As I said, I only wanted to see IF I could do it. And I can't belive that you guys keep bringing back to life! Let it die! And get a life! Sheesh guys!

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 58
RE: WITP AE on 60" widescreen TV? - 11/16/2011 11:46:00 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

As promised!

OMG!

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 59
RE: WITP AE on 60" widescreen TV? - 11/17/2011 12:06:56 AM   
Sredni

I used a TV for a monitor for a while, just a 32" though so nothing monstrous. But it was nice.

I dunno if being used as a monitor did it in, or if it just wore out like normal but eventually the TV started getting these green lines running up through the center. A good third of the screen a little bit off center was covered in little green lines.

Had to go and buy a little 23" monitor. I miss my tv lol. Gotta say I'm mighty tempted to buy a big TV to use again for a monitor. (I am a geek )

One of the things playing on a screen that big has emphasized to me is how much I wish the UI in witp was customizable. Being able to shrink or expand, and move around all the little menu's, subscreens and whatnot would be amazing. Or to open multiple windows at once in game, zounds that would rock. Something to hope for if there's ever a witp 2 .

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: WITP AE on 60" widescreen TV? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI