Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Reserved Resources - Can I Free Them Up?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Reserved Resources - Can I Free Them Up? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Reserved Resources - Can I Free Them Up? - 11/17/2011 5:57:44 PM   
Decepticons

Playing original Distant Worlds patched to 1.7

Is there a way to free up resources that are stockpiled and listed as Reserved? I've got a bad fuel issue in my current game (just not pumping out enough Caslon). One of my large star bases has a stockpile of 6500, but it's all been reserved for many, many years (probably 20 or more years now). Is there a way I can free that resource up?
Post #: 1
RE: Reserved Resources - Can I Free Them Up? - 11/17/2011 6:02:56 PM   
Erik Rutins

Reserved means the resources are not actually there, but they are requested. If all the Caslon in that Star Base is marked as "reserved", that means it has no Caslon and is requesting 6500 for its needs. The only real solutions are to increase Caslon mining through building more gas mining stations and ships or researching mining technology improvements, decrease Caslon usage by keeping fleets parked as much as possible and avoiding wars, or research a different reactor to switch to Hydrogen (but that's a more long-terms solution, like upgrading your civilian fleet with more efficient reactors and engines, etc.).

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Decepticons)
Post #: 2
RE: Reserved Resources - Can I Free Them Up? - 11/17/2011 6:16:45 PM   
Bingeling

Are you sure? You can have a stock and a reserve on the same line in the inventory. I have always read this as "x stock in store, waiting for y to pick it up". It was very obvious on a rare spice planet of mine. Lots of stock, all reserved by someone. And since for some reason there was no freighter traffic there, it must be spice on the colony, as they mine it.

I have also seen enemies during war having large reserves on my caslon sources from before war started. In a sane world that reserve would have been transferred to the mine owner/freed once war starts :)

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
RE: Reserved Resources - Can I Free Them Up? - 11/17/2011 7:16:29 PM   
Decepticons

Erik, I'm not sure I understand.

So I have a large starbase. Since I can remember, on it's Caslon resource line it's show 6500 units of Caslon and [6500] units under the reserved column heading for Caslon. I've occasionally seen that first number change to say, 7200 units of Caslon and [6500] units reserved Caslon, but the 6500 Reserved number never changes. It's been that way for over 50 years. So the starbase in question (at a colony) does occasionally receive Caslon, but the reserve number never changes. I do seem to have a Caslon shortage empire-wide despite having at least 18 gas mining stations on gas giants/frozen giants with caslon as a resource.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 4
RE: Reserved Resources - Can I Free Them Up? - 11/17/2011 9:35:07 PM   
Bingeling

One thing is a bugged reserve system, which does not really matter that much. Obviously the ones that reserved those 6500 are never gonna get them. What you see is a non reserved amount moving in and out.

As for gas sources. It takes a lot :) 18 is a random number when we know nothing of the size of your empire. I try to help large fleets with resupply ships. Even in staging areas. Have the fleets use these instead of draining the spaceport. And whenever I found a colony, I make sure to order a gas mine on every fuel source in the system, and if there is none, one in a nearby system.

At least in ROTS, those buttons down left are very nice. "Queue nearby constructor to build..." on target. Very fast to queue a mine building order that way. And if you have fuel issues? Build more gas mines :)

(in reply to Decepticons)
Post #: 5
RE: Reserved Resources - Can I Free Them Up? - 11/17/2011 9:41:00 PM   
Nedrear

If you want to fill a fuel demand forever, build a huge military fuel base. Armor, shields, weapons as high as you need it to fend of any enemy fleet until help is there or enough for your sector fleet to rescue it while operating at maximum ressource extraction - gas extractors and storage like hell as well as docking bays. These dearies are your system fuel ports to never be destroyed. If you build a lonesome weak protected small fuel extractor in a side system is your thing. But never underestimate your ships hunger!

One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 6
RE: Reserved Resources - Can I Free Them Up? - 11/17/2011 10:35:55 PM   
Bingeling

I like to have fun in the game. Which usually means not doing a lot of stuff that makes the game easy.

So I let the AI design ships, but I guess I may allow myself to overrule if stupidity is too obvious. This usually involved marginal size issues. I never bribe. I try to avoid too good trades unless Data puts me in an impossible situation. I never invade a colony without destroying space ports and defensive bases.

Why? Because I prefer to play that way. You like to micromanage and optimize. I like a different approach.

But of course i have designed my own ships in some games. But never bothered much with bases that are not spaceports of defensive. Hopefully the expansion lets me have game where I optimize my ship designs to stand a chance.

And fuel issues are just as much civilian, and your military behemoth will never see a freighter visit, I think. It is a stationary resupply ship.

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 7
RE: Reserved Resources - Can I Free Them Up? - 11/17/2011 11:35:27 PM   
Nedrear

A military behemoth WILL see frighters. He counts as a producer and when he got a commerce station the game will see it to sell ressoruces. Though I could simply declare it as a mining station with guns... letting the private sector pay for it and in return reducing some taxes.

After all these things might be necessary for you in high difficulty games later on.

One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Reserved Resources - Can I Free Them Up? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI