Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Hasty Mod - test

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Unity of Command Series >> Design and Modding >> Hasty Mod - test Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hasty Mod - test - 11/15/2011 7:48:55 PM   
Redmarkus5

Bought it because I'm travelling, bored and waiting for a WiTE turn from Carnage ;)

Hate the 3D unit icons so I did a quick 45 minute mod (partial) to put some basic 2D units in place.

It's easy to do and the game should have shipped with better versions of these.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by redmarkus4 -- 11/15/2011 7:54:44 PM >

WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
Post #: 1
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/15/2011 8:12:36 PM   
AZKGungHo

Looks like a good start, I too don't like the icons. Actually the armored ones look okay, but I wish they had made the infantry full figures, not those weird little busts running around Russia - creepy!

"In Arduis Fidelis"
Louie Marsh

Books:
Once A Raider… http://tinyurl.com/89mfnnk
Getting Real - http://tinyurl.com/7zhcjlq
Websites:
www.usmcraiders.com
discipleup.org

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 2
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/15/2011 8:13:38 PM   
Redmarkus5

And on a bigger map. Can't see how to remove the annoying SP dots from on top of the units. Anyone?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 3
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/15/2011 8:15:31 PM   
Redmarkus5

Yeah - I will just play with mine for now until someone does a proper mod. I don't have the graphics skills but just wanted to show how easy it would be to do.

Devs - this would surely help your sales if you could provide a 2D units option.

quote:

ORIGINAL: AZ Gung Ho

Looks like a good start, I too don't like the icons. Actually the armored ones look okay, but I wish they had made the infantry full figures, not those weird little busts running around Russia - creepy!

(in reply to AZKGungHo)
Post #: 4
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/15/2011 9:19:15 PM   
Blubel

Thanks. It is good to know that the icons can be modded. I will however wait for someone to do a Nato or German symbols mod before buying the game...

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 5
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/15/2011 10:28:35 PM   
Wolfe1759

As a Nato icon enthusiast (i.e. crusty old school board wargamer) that this can be produced as a potential mod within hours of release is highly encouraging, thanks for your impressively rapid creativity.

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Blubel)
Post #: 6
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/15/2011 10:37:08 PM   
ComradeP

It's a nice mod for the people that absolutely need to have boardgame like counters and who can't stand actual graphical representations of their units. As I am still young and grew up with computer wargames, I don't feel the same kind of nostalgia of "must...have...NATO...counters" that many of you do, but I can understand why some of you prefer it.

As to the "weird little busts": I see those every time I play chess, so they don't really bother me. What matters is that you can immediately spot which side a piece belongs to and what it does, and even with the "weird little busts" I doubt anyone has any real problems with that.

The only confusing piece in my opinion could be the Romanians due to the brown uniforms.

I don't think the game "should" have shipped with traditional boardgame counters for the very simple reason that it isn't a traditional boardgame.

< Message edited by ComradeP -- 11/15/2011 10:39:02 PM >

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer

(in reply to Wolfe1759)
Post #: 7
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/15/2011 10:51:20 PM   
Wolfe1759

ComradeP you may well be right and I might when I buy the game (which I'm rather close to doing) rather get to like the "weird little busts" in the same way I rather like the unit/leader "portrait" graphics in RUS. At least I don't have to trim 1,000+ counters when buying a computer game

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 8
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/15/2011 11:44:30 PM   
AZKGungHo

Hey Comrade P,

Point taken, it's not a board game, but I guess our chess pieces are different, mine are abstract, no little busts running around on my chess board. Oh well, to each his own and hopefully some good mods will be available soon. Now to the real issues - like should I buy this game!!

"In Arduis Fidelis"
Louie Marsh

Books:
Once A Raider… http://tinyurl.com/89mfnnk
Getting Real - http://tinyurl.com/7zhcjlq
Websites:
www.usmcraiders.com
discipleup.org

(in reply to Wolfe1759)
Post #: 9
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/16/2011 12:10:04 AM   
ComradeP

I'll certainly do my best to develop scenarios as soon as the scenario editor is functional.

With regards to chess, I'm mostly referring to the knight, which is usually a horsehead without a body and without any trace of an actual knight, but you still know what it is and does just by looking at it.

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

(in reply to AZKGungHo)
Post #: 10
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/16/2011 7:42:53 AM   
Redmarkus5

I'm not saying that 2D is 'better' than 3D :)

The only reason I said the game 'should have shipped with 2D counters' is just that many gamers prefer that option and sales would go much better IMO if it is included.

Many have posted on the forum that they will not buy until counters are added or modded, so I wanted to demo that it's easy to do. I estimate that if I worked in the dev team I could complete a full set of 2D alternative counters (WiTE style) within 2-3 days.

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 11
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/16/2011 2:11:17 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: ComradeP
I don't feel the same kind of nostalgia of "must...have...NATO...counters" that many of you do,

It's not a nostalgia thing, it's a matter of UI clarity. For those of us who grew up with Nato counters we take one look at a map and immediatly get a good picture of which kind of troops are where, where there are concentrations of tanks etc. It's a symbol language we learned to read a long time ago and it was pretty universal so we could apply this skill to a lot of games.

*Not* using Nato symbols means that we need to get accustomed to whatever symbolic representations a particular developer deemed fun to use, which of course can be done, but the point is that we shouldn't need to go through this learning phaze. If it's so easy to put Nato counters in there, they should have been in there as an option from the start, as it cuts down on the learning curve for guys like me.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 12
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/16/2011 2:22:37 PM   
ComradeP

There are only a handful of unit types, it's not like you have to memorize dozens.

In my opinion, NATO symbols are primarily useful when there are so many unit types around that you need a system of symbols that everybody understands in order to make sense of it all. For a game the size of WitE, it's something of a must, but for this game? Not really.

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 13
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/16/2011 2:55:13 PM   
Erik Rutins

I have to agree with Pieter, but the game is very easily moddable for those that prefer the counter look. Don't hesitate because of the lack of counters. If a good mod does not appear, I'll do one myself just to encourage you guys to give the game a try.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 14
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/16/2011 7:28:19 PM   
SeaMonkey

If someone does do the Nato counters can we please have them with just the Nato symbol floating on the map hex, the background counter intrudes on the map topography. The attachments, steps, names, actions, etc. can still be somewhere near the symbol contained in the occupying hex, but let's not hide the terrain that resides in the hex.

In this configuration the map play will resemble the map deployments in our reference books.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 15
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/16/2011 9:43:31 PM   
Toby42

The "Funny" looking unit counters turned me off. I guess that I'm just an old fuddy duddy!!

Tony

(in reply to SeaMonkey)
Post #: 16
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/17/2011 7:53:03 AM   
Redmarkus5

OK, I'm going to try and do a NATO units mod with smaller counters than the hasty test ones posted here. If anybody has screens shots of counters they like, please post them here to give me inspiration.

I will also look at the map files to see whether a place names mod is possible - many of the towns are just little unnamed houses on the map...

< Message edited by redmarkus4 -- 11/17/2011 7:54:48 AM >

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 17
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/17/2011 8:14:14 AM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: redmarkus4
OK, I'm going to try and do a NATO units mod with smaller counters than the hasty test ones posted here.

3 cheers for RedMarkus4 !

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 18
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/17/2011 8:35:43 AM   
nenad

We won't be adding the counter option anytime soon. However, I'd love to see a well executed nato mod. As already demonstrated - this is fairly easy to do technically. It doesn't involve a lot of physical work because the total number of different unit icons is relatively small.

As for learning; when starting off with a new game, you always have to learn something you didn't know previously. Otherwise you'd want to play only the games you already know :)
In UoC, learning the unit icons is a tiny tiny fraction of total stuff you need to learn to play successfully, predominantly - the rules.

Unit icon designs employ a rather simple associative scheme. "Learning" it is a matter of seconds really:

tank = armored division
small tank = inferior armored division (i.e. romanian or hungarian)
halftrack (sdkfz) = pzgrenadier division
head = infantry division (different uniform = different nationality)
head + truck = motorized division
head + horse = cavalry

That's all there is.

We feel that this is adequate for everybody - people who know how to read nato symbols as well as the ones who don't.

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 19
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/17/2011 4:38:04 PM   
Redmarkus5

quote:

ORIGINAL: nenad

We won't be adding the counter option anytime soon. However, I'd love to see a well executed nato mod. As already demonstrated - this is fairly easy to do technically. It doesn't involve a lot of physical work because the total number of different unit icons is relatively small.

As for learning; when starting off with a new game, you always have to learn something you didn't know previously. Otherwise you'd want to play only the games you already know :)
In UoC, learning the unit icons is a tiny tiny fraction of total stuff you need to learn to play successfully, predominantly - the rules.

Unit icon designs employ a rather simple associative scheme. "Learning" it is a matter of seconds really:

tank = armored division
small tank = inferior armored division (i.e. romanian or hungarian)
halftrack (sdkfz) = pzgrenadier division
head = infantry division (different uniform = different nationality)
head + truck = motorized division
head + horse = cavalry

That's all there is.

We feel that this is adequate for everybody - people who know how to read nato symbols as well as the ones who don't.

:) thanks. It's not learning the 3D counters that's problematic though - many of us just don't like them. Let's see what becomes of my mod attempt.

(in reply to nenad)
Post #: 20
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/17/2011 4:40:17 PM   
Redmarkus5

I went through the map files but can't see an easy way to mod them, which is a pity.

Maybe the devs can add town names for the unnamed towns on the map? Should be easy for them to do based on the structure I see.

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 21
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/17/2011 6:06:41 PM   
nenad

No, it's easy to add a custom label. Put your png into labels directory following the existing naming convention. Add the appropriate xml manifest file. Then, in the parent directory in the "freeobj.xml" file add a reference to your new label. Should work fine.

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 22
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/17/2011 6:33:06 PM   
mariovalleemtl

I find the 3D icons look very nice. I also like the SSG's more nato style counters .

(in reply to nenad)
Post #: 23
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/17/2011 7:13:01 PM   
Redmarkus5

quote:

ORIGINAL: nenad

No, it's easy to add a custom label. Put your png into labels directory following the existing naming convention. Add the appropriate xml manifest file. Then, in the parent directory in the "freeobj.xml" file add a reference to your new label. Should work fine.

OK thanks, I will look at that, but it would be better if you guys could add names to all locations ;)

(in reply to nenad)
Post #: 24
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/18/2011 11:29:05 AM   
Redmarkus5

Still messing around with the profile icons - no NATO as yet.

I made the counters smaller. So far I have stuck to one color for all Axis units as the different colors for Italy etc. made the map confusing. The icon size is too small to support a flag for each nation.

Comments?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 25
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/18/2011 1:09:14 PM   
Barthheart

Not too bad.

The white profiles, however, hide the movement arrow and the attack lightening bolt. Maybe use black instead.

Soviet infantry profile kinda looks lie aliens... the Axis profiles are good.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 26
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/20/2011 4:27:30 AM   
CarnageINC

LOL, there you go again Red, always gotta tinker with stuff   I like the first set's armor and the second set's infantry.  Keep at it, you'll come up with a winner I'm sure .

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 27
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/23/2011 3:11:25 AM   
Rosseau

Hey Guys. How exactly do you open and edit those .usc and usx files? The open xml's in the data folder are much appreciated 

(in reply to CarnageINC)
Post #: 28
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/23/2011 12:55:03 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

While I agree that this is technically pretty easy to do, I tried making a few counter mods yesterday and found the total number of .png icons is not exactly small, nor is it intuitive how to get counters centered just right for best display. Also there's like 60 different rotational images for each unit icon that all need to be modded and I couldn't seem to get this to work well.

As a modest request, could we maybe get a blank template for a properly centered square unit counter for the different image directories? There's a difference between what's shown on the map and what's shown on the Info Sheets. We don't need all the different units, just a few templates to edit. That would be helpful. Thanks.

Perhaps redmarkus4 has already figured this out and could post something for download. The counter size in post #25 above looks good.

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 29
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/23/2011 9:32:41 PM   
nenad

As already has been said elsewhere, at present we simply cannot actively support modding in any way.

Changing counters is really simple though. Each on-map unit icon is composed of two overlying pngs of the same pixel-size: main graphic in data/unit_rot and underlying ellipse in data/unit_icons.

For nato style counters you would probably want to ignore ellipses. Just replace them with blank images.

The main unit graphics is indeed a rotation animation consisting of 60 individual png frames. But for nato symbols you obviously wouldn't wand to have any rotation. So all that is needed is to mod only the first (default) image in the sequence (*_00.png). When you're satisfied with how it looks just copy it to other 59, using one of the free file management utilities that support regular expressions. Once you've established the frame for one unit type you can use it as a template for all the others.

If you have problems aligning to hex grid, screenshot the map with grid enabled and use that as a guideline.

Each unit has three more additional images, all of them in data/unit_icons. Two of them (left and right oriented) are for the info/combat sheet and third (BW) is for reinforcements bar.

That's all there really is to it.

Hope this helps at least a bit.

< Message edited by nenad -- 11/23/2011 9:34:20 PM >

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Unity of Command Series >> Design and Modding >> Hasty Mod - test Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI