Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Unity of Command Series >> Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/19/2011 3:51:48 PM   
Grim.Reaper

Guys, not sure if this type of thread is allowed, but if you only had enough money and time for either Unity of Command or Panzer Corp, which would you choose? I am on the fence with both games and would be interested in your thoughts as to why you would choose one over the other. And purchasing both is not an option:)

If this thread is not allowed, mods feel free to remove.

Post #: 1
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/19/2011 4:28:13 PM   
stormbringer3

I have both games including the Panzer Corps DLCs. I have played Panzer Corps almost every day until I bought Unity of Command. Panzer Corps will give you a lot longer game play since there are many more scenarios and campaigns, but I'm impressed with the AI in Unity of Command. When I watch its moves, most of the time I think "that's what I'd do." I find Unity of Command more challenging unless you go above the General difficulty level in Panzer Corps. I'll probably be alone here but, I was more impressed initially playing Unity of Command than Panzer Corps. I hope this game sells well as I can see great possibilities as they can add to an already great game. As you can see, I didn't pick out one over the other for you, I thought I'd give my impressions of the two to help you in your decision.  

(in reply to Grim.Reaper)
Post #: 2
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/19/2011 5:41:26 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grim.Reaper

Guys, not sure if this type of thread is allowed, but if you only had enough money and time for either Unity of Command or Panzer Corp, which would you choose? I am on the fence with both games and would be interested in your thoughts as to why you would choose one over the other. And purchasing both is not an option:)

If this thread is not allowed, mods feel free to remove.

That's a great question and I'm eagerly watching this thread...

Post #: 3
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/19/2011 6:01:26 PM   
JudgeDredd

Something I've noticed from the one scenario I played was that the AI (in that scenario at least) attempted to create a defensive wall - replacing hit units with one with more strength...if this is indeed happening (just because I saw it once, doesn't mean it's programmed in specifically) then it's something I'm pleased about. I'm currently playing Road to Leningrad in WitE and whilst I've had a challenge (more due to my screw ups) on the way to the objectives, I've just performed recon on Leningrad and there are 3 stack units in and around Leningrad - so the AI seems more like the normal "defend the objectives" at all costs, as opposed to moving into a position to slow down the advance - which is what I observed in my one scenario so far.

Now 1 scenario and my observations don't make a good AI - as stormbringer says - I looked at it moving units to slow down my advance and I thought that was something I would do...that's not something that's in Panzer Corps. Panzer Corps will come to get you if it detects your unit is open for attack...otherwise it'll just sit in it's key points on the map.

Panzer Corps has more in the way of units and alot of information...but I like the way you can enhance units with abilities - like Engineer or AT. I also like the options you get every turn - 4 Close Support attacks, extend your supply by 1 etc...again, only 1 scenario in so no indepth knowledge about this - I just like the mechanic.

As for choosing one over the other - I haven't nearly played enough of this to make that choice.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to stormbringer3)
Post #: 4
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/19/2011 6:22:07 PM   
Javolenus

I haven't bough UoC yet, so I'm watching threads like this with interest. I did buy Panzer Corps but stopped playing on Day One because the AI offers no significant challenge (I prefer to play games in single-player mode). If UoC really does offer a good single-player experience, then I'll certainly buy it.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 5
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/19/2011 6:22:30 PM   
Grim.Reaper

This is great feedback guys, really appreciate it.  Part of me is leaning towards Unity because of something new and fresh, but I'll continue to take a look at the comments before I pull the trigger:)  Thanks again!

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 6
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/19/2011 6:28:09 PM   
stormbringer3

Javolenus,
Unity of Command definitely offers a single-player challenge! I've only played PC games in the single-player mode.

Post #: 7
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/19/2011 6:39:11 PM   
2xAnte

AI tries to position most appropriate units on enemy routes to objectives. To decide which unit to place where AI uses unit move points and strength, is unit dig, terrain of possible locations, rivers, bridges, ...
If possible units are grouped in line (defensive).

In smaller scenarios it is quite common to see replacing of units in defensive line.
In larger scenarios, with more space, mostly it will move whole line, sometimes placed from front line to make ZOCs.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 8
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/19/2011 6:50:14 PM   
JudgeDredd

The interface is a joy by the way

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to 2xAnte)
Post #: 9
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/19/2011 6:59:09 PM   
Toby42

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

The interface is a joy by the way

You are getting me closer to pulling the trigger. I'm just not sure about those figurines / busts? I really prefer Nato Symbols...

Tony

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 10
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/19/2011 7:01:42 PM   
LarryP

I'm kinda partial to a good bust myself.

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 11
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/19/2011 7:09:11 PM   
Barthheart

I have both games.

I bought Panzer Corp because I played Panzer Gerneral to death when it came out. Hours on end spent in that game.
Panzer Corp is a great redo of Panzer General.... but it's the same..... this is both good and bad.

U of C is very new and very refreshing in the way it's presented and how it works. The UI is fantastic. The game play is very smooth and fluid.

I've had UofC for a only few days and have already I've played way more than Panzer Corp which I've had for a while....

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 12
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/19/2011 7:16:42 PM   
Toby42

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

I'm kinda partial to a good bust myself.

Keep your mind on the game

Tony

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 13
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/19/2011 7:17:27 PM   
LarryP

The fact that the Tech Support thread is almost empty is a good sign.

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 14
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/19/2011 7:21:45 PM   
Grim.Reaper

quote:

The fact that the Tech Support thread is almost empty is a good sign.

Excellent point...probably the quietest tech forum I have ever seen....impressive.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 15
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/19/2011 7:28:28 PM   
JudgeDredd

There have been mentions of the AI making kamakazi style breaks through your lines.

Tis true - it does seem to lunge - but what I noticed is because it does it, I am having to back track constantly to repair my supply lines - which are very important - out of supply units will not be able to fight after 1 turn...so you really need to keep your supply lines open - and the fact the AI constantly tries to break them I think personally is a good thing.

Perhaps it's true it's a wee bit kamakazi - but it's definitely something I would do (but then I'm no Patton!). And it doesn't seem to weaken it's hold on objectives much by doing so.

This is the first scenario in the German campaign, and look what the AI has done. This is turn 6 and I haven't captured anything. Not only that, but some units are out of supply and can't fight. Now if I don't divert forces away from the front and deal with the Russian units that have broken my supply lines, they'll just probably potter about making a bad situation worse.

So yes - the Russian units are somewhat "out there" - but I do have to take essential units away from my drive to deal with them

Again - I'm not a great player and I haven't read the manual, but the AI has severely bloodied my nose in this opening scenario...so I think I'll go and read the manual.

Attachment (1)

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 16
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/19/2011 7:29:01 PM   
LarryP

Well I'm just about ready to buy this game from following this thread now. Should of been raking leaves...

Post #: 17
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/19/2011 7:34:46 PM   
JudgeDredd

About the busts by the way - they are not my choice of graphic and the graphics were the one reason I was going to hold off - but in actual fact when you see the other graphics, the busts just "fit"...it's strange - but they actually fit with the rest of the graphical interface and so don't actually end up being an issue anyway - for me at least.

I will be looking forward to some NATO symbols (which they are currently working on for the first update I believe) - but I'm not too fussed at present. I expect given the graphical style used in the rest of the game that they will be great looking

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 18
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/19/2011 7:43:10 PM   
Toby42

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

About the busts by the way - they are not my choice of graphic and the graphics were the one reason I was going to hold off - but in actual fact when you see the other graphics, the busts just "fit"...it's strange - but they actually fit with the rest of the graphical interface and so don't actually end up being an issue anyway - for me at least.

I will be looking forward to some NATO symbols (which they are currently working on for the first update I believe) - but I'm not too fussed at present. I expect given the graphical style used in the rest of the game that they will be great looking

Well, I better go and get my credit card and get this over with.. You have my curiosity up!!

< Message edited by Treale -- 11/19/2011 7:44:12 PM >

Tony

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 19
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/19/2011 7:46:26 PM   
JudgeDredd

I eventually won that scenario - but I didn't have many units left. On top of that, I didn't get any Prestige because I didn't capture the objectives by the required turn (I think that's why I didn't get Prestige).

From my limited play of it, it seems winning isn't the issue - but winning well is difficult...we'll see.

I might do an AAR tomorrow once I've read the manual. Then I have to get back to testing.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 20
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/19/2011 8:09:11 PM   
cpdeyoung

I am a long time proponent of NATO style counters but this game really looks good as it is. I may switch around a bit but they have done a wonderful job with the "busts", and I am certainly having no problem with them. I never play RtV/ToW/ToF using anything but NATO counters but this game seems fine the way it is.

The art production on this game is just outstanding.

Chuck

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 21
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/19/2011 8:33:01 PM   
Grim.Reaper

Guys, one other question. About how many units/counters are on the map at a given time?  I remember looking at the WITE and just couldn't imagine ever pushing around that many units....is it manageable?

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 22
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/19/2011 8:44:20 PM   
stormbringer3

Definitely manageable. I'm looking forward to even bigger scenarios. I'm currently playing Stalingrad as part of the German Campaign and I currently have 28 units on the map.

< Message edited by stormbringer3 -- 11/19/2011 8:50:39 PM >

Post #: 23
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/19/2011 8:45:25 PM   
JudgeDredd

Very manageable so far. It's nothing like WitE with regard to the number of units on the map

I've loaded all the scenarios and Case Blue has the most units

Attachment (1)

Alba gu' brath

Post #: 24
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/19/2011 9:39:04 PM   
LarryP

Is there enough to do in UoC to keep it fun?

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 25
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/19/2011 9:45:29 PM   
PKH

I like the smaller scale UoC compared to PC. Usually most of the map fits on screen which makes it easier to follow what's going on, and you have to do very little scrolling around.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 26
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/19/2011 9:49:33 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

Is there enough to do in UoC to keep it fun?

I haven't really played enough to warrant answering this - plus as this is the first day of having it, it's the shiny new.

The interface is a joy to work with. For actual gameplay - it's great to play - but I don't really know yet whether it will become samey. With Panzer Corps you have your different types of units etc...so this is less of a thinking game - but you do have to keep your wits about you with a fairly active AI - swapping depleted units out from the front line, exploiting gaps, cutting supplies.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 27
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/19/2011 10:02:17 PM   
Javolenus

OK, I'm thinking maybe I should support this dev team and just pitch in and buy the game! Seems that all the feedback is good.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 28
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/19/2011 10:11:48 PM   
LarryP

I just bought it and it's in the tutorial now. Wow, you all were right when you said the interface and menus were nice. The music is perfect for the setting too. The pop ups with tooltips are very smooth and informative.

(in reply to Javolenus)
Post #: 29
RE: Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? - 11/19/2011 11:32:14 PM   
Toby42

quote:

I just bought it and it's in the tutorial now. Wow, you all were right when you said the interface and menus were nice. The music is perfect for the setting too. The pop ups with tooltips are very smooth and informative.

And I don't mind the little figurines as much as I thought I would. I still want to see what they come up with in the Nato Units? So far a really neat game!!!

Tony

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Unity of Command Series >> Unity of Command Versus Panzer Corps? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI