Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

No Grand Campaign - Please

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Unity of Command Series >> No Grand Campaign - Please Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
No Grand Campaign - Please - 11/22/2011 11:12:27 AM   
Astyreal

Those who have seen my post on unityofcommand.net know that I am an enormous fan of this game. In fact every time I fire it up I appreciate it that bit more.

I also would like to see additional releases and content for the series. however there is one avenue I hope the developers don't go down, and that is of a grand campaign.

To be honest I am not too worried they try to develop such a monster scenario, because the dev team clearly spend a lot of time on design coherency and playability.

Unity of command gives you a few choice problems to mull over and savor. They don't throw the kitchen sink at you. It is unique in that respect.

Let's keep it that way.

Post #: 1
RE: No Grand Campaign - Please - 11/23/2011 5:07:34 AM   
gdrover

Couldn't disagree more...

This game cries out for a larger campaign. Perhaps not the entire front, but rather 3 grand campaigns: one for each Armee Gruppe: North, Center, South. The fast-play nature of the system would easily allow the player to manage the number of units, and the operational area at any given time wouldn't be that much larger than the smaller scenarios, which are about 1/3 of the Armee Gruppe Front.

Frankly, these small scenarios have only wetted my appetite for what I would see as the real game: 60 turns+ and the entire Armee Gruppe Sud operational area for 1942/43 would be a great place to start.

Prestige Points could be accumulated immediately upon the capture of objectives, and reserves and replacements could become available as they did historically.

PLEASE, PLEASE, DO make a larger scenario... and do it soon...I can't wait.

< Message edited by gdrover -- 11/23/2011 5:08:52 AM >

(in reply to Astyreal)
Post #: 2
RE: No Grand Campaign - Please - 11/23/2011 6:00:49 PM   
Pincer Movement

I agree as well, what an early game an already hunger for more in depth campaigns. I love the uniqueness too choosing this time period and operation. Hopefully this game becomes what i thought decisive Battles series was going to be until they kinda faded away. None the less this is fun addicting play style gameplay that recurres some smart strategy.

(in reply to gdrover)
Post #: 3
RE: No Grand Campaign - Please - 11/23/2011 7:50:05 PM   
von altair

Well, I have to disagree with Asty. I would buy this game, if there were some Grand Campaign. Perhaps even the whole Operation Barbarossa.

Perhaps I am too hardcore strategists since I need more complex games like War in the East. But just little more effort this game could have been a megahit. Resource management and new unit purchases etc.

"An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?"

"Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?"

-Axel Oxenstierna

(in reply to Astyreal)
Post #: 4
RE: No Grand Campaign - Please - 11/24/2011 2:34:06 AM   
SeaMonkey

This is exactly what I would expect as a reaction to a great game interface. Gentlemen, the die is cast, we now have an entry to a new gaming platform. There is no telling where this design will escalate to. It's been a while in coming and I for one am glad to see it. "Hold the reins loose and let 2X2 run!"

(in reply to von altair)
Post #: 5
RE: No Grand Campaign - Please - 11/24/2011 4:08:37 AM   
WillyPete

I agree with you 1000%! I'd love to see a grand campaign from Barbarossa on. It's a fine game engine that's just right, it's not too complex with hardcore rules like War in the East. Games would be fluid, quick paced, and fun!

The basics are solid. All it needs is just a bit of tweaking for larger campaigns. A campaign for each Army Group is a fine idea as well - just perfect for UoC's engine.

I only hope the games catches enough interest from the WitE fans to get things moving here. Great game!

(in reply to gdrover)
Post #: 6
RE: No Grand Campaign - Please - 11/24/2011 2:41:25 PM   
vonRocko

Hello LTPappy, Did you wait 10yrs. to make that post?
You must be a man of few words.

(in reply to WillyPete)
Post #: 7
RE: No Grand Campaign - Please - 11/24/2011 3:30:46 PM   
Hanal

I think LTPappy finally found his "Juicy Fruit" moment ....Welcome aboard!....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by J P Falcon -- 11/24/2011 3:33:35 PM >

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 8
RE: No Grand Campaign - Please - 11/24/2011 9:41:42 PM   
borsook79

If it counts for anything I too hope for a Grander campaign and will buy such an expansion the moment it comes out. 

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - G.B. Shaw

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 9
RE: No Grand Campaign - Please - 11/24/2011 11:39:52 PM   
Queeg

If the choice is between a WWII Eastern Front grand campaign or a series of smaller campaigns from WWII or earlier, I vote for the latter. I really like this game engine and would love to see how it handles other eras.

< Message edited by Queeg -- 11/25/2011 7:05:51 PM >

(in reply to borsook79)
Post #: 10
RE: No Grand Campaign - Please - 11/25/2011 5:53:12 PM   
jjdenver

Sorry 100% disagree with original post. You have small scenarios - go ahead and enjoy them. But no reason to hold back those of us who like chained campaigns and larger scenarios. You can play campaign scenarios as individual scenarios and enjoy them that way - but I and I'm sure a lot of others prefer to have battle results affect following battles in a grand campaign. And many of the UOC scenario maps are very small and cramped. I'd appreciate larger maps.

(in reply to Queeg)
Post #: 11
RE: No Grand Campaign - Please - 11/25/2011 7:09:44 PM   
Queeg

I think the immediate issue is where they go next. They've said they want to start small and perhaps work their way toward a larger campaign. The engine works quite well at the current scope, and I think they're wise to build gradually rather than jumping straight into a mammoth campaign.

< Message edited by Queeg -- 11/25/2011 7:10:09 PM >

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 12
RE: No Grand Campaign - Please - 11/26/2011 1:13:37 AM   
gdrover

That makes sense. A mamoth campaign may be too much of a strech right away, but certainly something as large as an Armee Gruppe (1/3 of the front) and longer could be dev'ed fairly quickly without stretching the game engine or their dev time too much. Meanwhile they could also develop another offering of smaller campaigns to satisfy those fans as well.

(in reply to Queeg)
Post #: 13
RE: No Grand Campaign - Please - 5/24/2012 12:18:43 PM   
JiminyJickers

I played the demo and while the game is enjoyable, without a grand campaign I'm not really interested.

Maybe UoC 2, if they make it will have a grand campaign, will definitely be interested in that.

(in reply to gdrover)
Post #: 14
RE: No Grand Campaign - Please - 6/17/2012 11:43:45 AM   
demyansk

I like this game b/c its easy but challenging and the map looks great

(in reply to JiminyJickers)
Post #: 15
RE: No Grand Campaign - Please - 11/28/2012 7:02:54 PM   
Tac2i

I bought the game because it was on sale for $9.99 and I like the WWII operational game type. Love the map. Despite having just barely looked at it, I'd certainly like to see the scope opened up to a larger campaign. A random game generator would be really nice as well, ala ATG style.

Tac2i (formerly webizen)

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 16
RE: No Grand Campaign - Please - 11/28/2012 10:07:28 PM   
wodin

Thing is the bigger the campaigns the worse the AI gets..Maybe linked campaigns would be better possibly.

(in reply to Tac2i)
Post #: 17
RE: No Grand Campaign - Please - 12/1/2012 11:41:47 AM   
nikdav

The next update added the editor, and so we can make the big scenarios that we want !

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Unity of Command Series >> No Grand Campaign - Please Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI