Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Non American Players?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Non American Players? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Non American Players? - 11/2/2002 12:34:09 PM   
SoulBlazer

I'm just kinda curious as to the apeal of this game to players who are outside the United States.

With all of the bad press our nation has been taking recently, and the fact many people, American and non American alike, seem to have forgotten the Second World War to a large degree, it really interests me that people would want to play a wargame that focuses on the (mostly) two national forces involved.

But it seems a lot of people from all over the world play this game, so I was curious as to where the attraction lies.
Post #: 1
- 11/2/2002 12:48:26 PM   
Ross Moorhouse

This game appeals to me being an Aussie due to the very large involement of our forces in this theater of the war.

I also like it because it depicts the fighting that my grandfather was part of in PNG while he served in the Australian Army.

Ross Moorhouse

Project Manager
www.csosimtek.com
Email: rossm@csogroup.org

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 2
- 11/2/2002 1:28:01 PM   
Drongo

Posted by SoulBlazer
[QUOTE]With all of the bad press our nation has been taking recently, and the fact many people, American and non American alike, seem to have forgotten the Second World War to a large degree, it really interests me that people would want to play a wargame that focuses on the (mostly) two national forces involved. [/QUOTE]

Bad Press? What's changed?

Ross probably summed it for us Aussies, we don't get many games that cover the war in our back yard (and have heaps of our Aussie units to boot).

From a personal point of view, anything with the Guadalcanal campaign in it will always get my interest due to the time I've spent in the Solomons.

The other reason is that its a good game on a campaign where the two sides were well matched (for about 6 months anyway).

Have no fear,
drink more beer.

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 3
Re: Non American Players? - 11/2/2002 3:39:17 PM   
U2

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SoulBlazer
[B]I'm just kinda curious as to the apeal of this game to players who are outside the United States.

With all of the bad press our nation has been taking recently, and the fact many people, American and non American alike, seem to have forgotten the Second World War to a large degree, it really interests me that people would want to play a wargame that focuses on the (mostly) two national forces involved.

But it seems a lot of people from all over the world play this game, so I was curious as to where the attraction lies. [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi

Well WW2 has been a subject that has captured generations and thus there is a huge interest for this game all over the world. For me personally I like both Pacific and European WW2 games.

It does not matter if this is a game between just Japan and the USA (Aussies too)

Dan

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 4
- 11/2/2002 7:10:51 PM   
Raverdave

Ditto what Ross and Drongo said.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 5
- 11/2/2002 9:11:15 PM   
Pawlock

I'm a Brit, but anything to do with WW2 interests me I suppose. Again I suppose we do have a limited interest in the fact a few of our planes are represented.

Anyway, if want interesting theatre of war for Naval you would go Pacific, if want intersting land conflict you go Europe.

At the end of the day its just a damm fine enjoyable game regardless of the nationalities involved.

My most eagerly anticipated game does not involve my nation whatsoever "The Korsan Pocket" (Germans v Russians) , but if like ground theatre operations this looks like the dogs bollocks.

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 6
- 11/2/2002 9:33:37 PM   
Feinder

I was gonna say SoulBlazer, that I think there are actually more non-American players, by a fairly large margin. At least observing the names and hometowns from these boards, you can see there are ALOT of players from around the world (and a great many from Austrailia).

My wife and travel a bit, and just by reading the posts of many of the Aussies here, it sounds very much like a wonderful place to visit. It's definately on our list of places to visit now (altho, it won't wont be for a little while, we're already planning on going to the UK in the spring).

-F-

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 7
- 11/2/2002 9:56:02 PM   
Admiral_Arctic

I play games covering the European theatre though I have never lived or visited there.

I'm just looking for a good campaign. I'll have to wait until 2.0 comes out to see if it is here.

Maybe I'll have to live in space to play a space game!

I'm a hazard to myself.

Want. Take. Have.

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 8
- 11/2/2002 10:30:22 PM   
Von Rom

UV is not "just" a wargame between the two protagonists; it is also a great "open-ended" strategy game.

If you enjoy planning strategy and tactics; if you like to lead vast armies, plan far-distant bombing offensives, and engage in great and desperate naval battles, then UV is the game that has it all and more. . .

If you enjoy history, and have either read about, or have seen documentaries on, the Pacific War, then UV will place you in the center of the action. . .

As long as history is kept "alive"; as long as people enjoy a good strategy game; and as long as gamers still have some imagination, then games like UV will be made, and enjoyed, for years to come. . .

Cheers!

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 9
- 11/2/2002 11:55:25 PM   
Grouchy

Aloha,

"the bad press" etc you mention really don't have any influence in purscashing and playing this (or any) game for me.
Although I doubt that the people who bought this game (and esp those active on the forums) have forgotten the 2nd worldwar.

Why the game appeals me?
First this game is a "GG game", I bought my first GG game in 1990 and since then I never has been dissapointed.
Gameplay is good, lots of bells and whistles and good after sales support.
I played Action stations, Carriers at war, Carrier strike etc, all those games where great but missed the logistic and landwar part or a campaign mode.
And those long campaigns are the biggest attraction for me.

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 10
- 11/3/2002 4:39:58 AM   
Baskaatje

I am from the Netherlands and thourogly enjoy the game, for its enormous scope, eye for detail, freedom of action and still the 'feel' of being there and caring for every individual ship, aircraft etc. Although in this game the Dutch are not represented (but they should have been, if only with one or two squadrons: 18 Sq NEI-AF flying B-25's and 120 Sq NEI-AF flying P-40's and a few warships), I hope in WITP we will be represented correctly.

My main interest in the SWPA is the fact that it is an almost forgotten battlefield (unlike Normandy, the Bulge, Arnhem, Stalingrad etc) specially after the battles of the Coral Sea and Guadalcanal. Once McArthur started to move along the New-Guinea coast, this front was secondary in attention to the US Navy campaign through the central Pacific.
And his forces deserve better, they fought their way through New-Guinea to the Phillipines and byond in an incredible short time with relative light losses.

Bas

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 11
- 11/3/2002 6:46:21 AM   
CapAndGown

Hey Bas. Welcome to the world of UV. I take it you registered for UV on the Blitz ladder? Trully a remarkable game. Still needs work, but it is really the best wargame out there as far as long range planning is concerned and a with it possibilities of using Maskirovka.

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 12
US Bad Press - 11/3/2002 8:50:11 PM   
Michael Walker

I'm an American, but I can tell you that what you read in the press in much of the world is just as influenced by liberal bias as it is here in the states, and most European countries there is a substantial minority that views many issues the same way people in the state's do. There is a political class in Europe that wields enormous power and pays little attention to what ordinary people think (sound familiar?), and they annouce what the public thinks even though their positions are often controversial at the very least.

Mike

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 13
- 11/4/2002 6:16:49 AM   
Superben

caricatural view and way of thinking of american people ....
pathetic ....

Superben
In vino veritas ...

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 14
- 11/4/2002 6:45:44 AM   
SoulBlazer

I don't supose you would mind explaining that in a little more detail, would you?

To the rest of you, thanks for your responses. They are pretty much what I expected. :) Nice to know that somethings, such as computer games, can trandscend national boundries and groups.

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 15
Say What? - 11/4/2002 6:55:58 AM   
Michael Walker

Hello Superben,

Thank you for that pithy reply. As for the caricature -- are you suggesting that everyone in Europe thinks exactly the same way and no one disagrees? Gee, and I thought only in Iraq did 100% of the public agree on things!

As for my thinking like an American, I guess I can't help that, but since I've studied in Europe, visited 8 more times since then, during which I've visited most of the nations on the continent, studied 3 different languages which I have some passing skill in, am married to a European, have many European friends, have an M.A. in Russian History, in addition to a Ph.D. in Political Science with a minor in I.R., let me just mention that your 10 word insult/reply shows something less than a mastery politics.

Here's a friendly suggestion, have something to say, don't introduce yourself by insulting people.

Michael Walker

P.S.

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 16
- 11/4/2002 5:34:33 PM   
patrickl

Hi,

I would like to say that I got interested in WW II Pacific theatre when as a teen, I spent quite a bundle on model building - Airfix, Revel and Tamiya. But the fun began with computer games - specifically when I bought GG's Pacific War in the mid 90s here in Singapore!:D . Thoroughly enjoy UV. Have been having beauty sleep for the past 4 weeks since last game against the Japanese AI and all ready to have a go in Ver 2.0. I suppose I can have another week of beauty sleep before the war begin again.:cool:
I am very happy to see that besides Americans, Aussies, Kiwis, Asians; a great number of Europeans are also playing this game. It shows that a good game knows no national boundary.:D

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 17
- 11/4/2002 6:05:51 PM   
U2

Hi

It is indeed great that people all over the world are playing this game. However I do miss the Japanese here. It is a HUGE market for this game and I wish they would get the word about this truly amazing game.

Dan

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 18
- 11/4/2002 10:44:24 PM   
CapAndGown

Do you think they don't know about it? Could current Japanese pacifist culture be having and effect? Or perhaps not wanting to replay a war which they lost?

Not sure that any of these things should apply, though, considering the same could be said about Germans and I know there are a lot of German wargamers.

Scully and I sure could use some moral support from the Japanese in our crusade to do right by the IJN. ;)

Fox Mulder

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 19
- 11/4/2002 10:52:15 PM   
U2

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cap_and_gown
[B]Do you think they don't know about it? Could current Japanese pacifist culture be having and effect? Or perhaps not wanting to replay a war which they lost?

Fox Mulder [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi

I am quite sure they dont know about it (where would they find out?). The pacifist issue has nothing to do with them not playing this game. They play wargames just like other people:)

Maybe Matrix should have an info page in Japanese (I think another wargame company did that for a game) The language barrier is an issue when they want to order or get info so I guess Matrix needs to get the games to a seller in Japan or make an info page in Japanese.

Dan

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 20
- 11/5/2002 4:57:00 AM   
Superben

I wrote caricatural and not typical . It means I think than only a minority of american think like M. Walker ( -----> only european elite "hate" american way of life and way of government . But the european citizen love America and have the dream to become an american ) ..... I hope ( and the subject of the post is typical ) that most and most american are aware that the wind changes ....... Remenber the true speech of the man who should be american president Al Gore ..... He said something like :" In one year all the worldwide fellow feeling for the american people has disapear ....."
The question is now " Why ????? "

Superben
In vino veritas ...

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 21
- 11/5/2002 5:31:16 AM   
SoulBlazer

I still don't follow you. What does that have to do with a COMPUTER game? One reason I like playing is to re-live past glories of my countries military history, and I wanted some takes on non-American opinions. (Please note I said ONE reason.....it's not the primary reason.)

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 22
Mind reading problems - 11/5/2002 6:15:59 AM   
Michael Walker

Superben:

Stick to games and give up mind reading; as a codicil, try actually reading posts and not inferring a bunch of preconceived non-sense from them.

I did not say only elites disagreed with the US government, I simply said that some, I admitted it was a minority, did have some sympathetic feelings towards the US. All of this crud about loving to become an American citizen is your own paranoid flotsam.

Regarding Al Gore, since you have managed to communicate almost nothing in your posts aside from your intent to insult, I suggest you spell out what you mean so that someone can actually understand you point -- if indeed you have one.

As for people not liking us, if it refers to people like yourself, I can see no possibility of avoiding the wrath of those who put words into other people's mouths and jump at the opportunity to make negative assertions.

As a final point, I applaud our president for putting our safety and principal ahead of a popularity contest among those who are the principal causes of this problem. You can put me down as a unilateralist heretic if I must seek the approval of vicious blood-stained tyrannies like Syria's to get UN Security Council approval.

Michael Walker

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Superben
[B]I wrote caricatural and not typical . It means I think than only a minority of american think like M. Walker ( -----> only european elite "hate" american way of life and way of government . But the european citizen love America and have the dream to become an american ) ..... I hope ( and the subject of the post is typical ) that most and most american are aware that the wind changes ....... Remenber the true speech of the man who should be american president Al Gore ..... He said something like :" In one year all the worldwide fellow feeling for the american people has disapear ....."
The question is now " Why ????? " [/B][/QUOTE]

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 23
- 11/5/2002 6:34:30 AM   
Superben

OK OK
I apologize ..... I forgot my good manners .....

Just one question : What about Frankreich ( France ) UN approval ???

Superben
In vino veritas ...

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 24
- 11/5/2002 6:52:50 AM   
Superben

For the subject of the topic :

I'm interested in Pacific WW II because as I was young I was fond of the TV serie " Pepe Boyington in the Pacific " Afer that I read a comics on Tarawa bloody reef ...... It give me a strong interest for the Pacific war history .....

Superben
In vino veritas ...

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 25
France at the UN - 11/5/2002 7:00:33 AM   
Michael Walker

This is rapidly going very off topic, nevertheless I will respond.

France is the European country Americans have the most negative view of -- a majority of the Americans who are paying attention to this will consider the French position not very important.

If the French VETO a US resolution, it will merely harden the administration's position. I cannot imagine any American politician who will raise France's objections as a serious reason to avoid action. Some would do the opposite. The only real result would be a further decline of American attitudes about France. This could be considerable. Think about what has happened to US-German relations since Schroeder's anti-American campaign.

Regarding the UN in general, it is an unfortunate reality that American's increasingly feeling negative about the UN. That is the fault of both parties. There is too much to say to even begin this.

As an aside, to those that are following this closely and are not philosophically opposed to unilateral action or war itself, the French played a key role in undermining the UNSCOM regime and allowing Saddam to survive without effective inspections. The ridiculous rules applied to the replacement UNMOVIC were the result of French influence and France's current claims to be serious about solving problems in Iraq are very difficult to believe. At least the Russians are honest that they only care about their contracts -- the French position is pure hypocrisy.

Michael Walker

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 26
- 11/5/2002 7:38:56 AM   
Superben

Fortunatly , Great Britain will be always here !!!!
Last minute : muslim party has just won elections in Turkey .... One allie less in Near East.... But you are right ... Destroy all these Rogue states ( enumerate them will be too long .. Should I add France and Germany ??? )

Thank you for your very interesting point of view of the New World Order and the european elite ( an apparently very representative of an multicultural american , open on european culture ).
Finally I learn a lot from you ( really ) .....
That 's not only an ocean which separates us but an Universe ..............

NB : I read 4 times my posts and I don't read only one word of anti-americanism ( you write "People like you who are not liking us ) ....... So please don't hunt witches against people who disagree with you ....

NB2 : For me dispute is closed .....

Superben
In vino veritas ...

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 27
the last word - 11/5/2002 8:26:22 AM   
Michael Walker

Clearly we have spoke past each other. If I do understand you, I again disagree with every single point you've made.

Re: Great Britain, I do not take Britain's support of America for granted. Frankly, President Bush has only done a mediocre job of making his case and even those who support him realize this

Re: Turkey, the new Turikish government will not rupture relations with the US. If they do anything remotely radical the Army will displace them as they have in the past. I am not advocating this, it is simply a fact.

Re: France & Germany, our relations with France have always included much disagreement, that goes for much of France's relations with NATO and Europe as well. However, there is too much at stake for either side to let them slide too far. Relations with Germany are normally excellent, Schroeder foolishly ruined them by saving his campaign with an offensive (from the American point of view) slogan. His Justice Minister's Hitler remark was not exactly a great moment for diplomacy either -- and people say Bush is dumb...

Re: Destroying rogue states, the U.S. has not advocated destroying anyone. It merely wants to make sure, "the world's worst dicators" don't have access to "the world's worst weapons". Do you disagree with this?

As an aside, the one rogue state we have gotten involved with is Afghanistan -- do you think it was a better place before, or now?

I do not consider myself an advocate of the "New World Order" and I reject multiculturalism, with has become tainted term with loaded meanings for each side of the political spectrum.

I agree that an enormous gulf separates us, primarily because there is no genuine understanding of positions taking place. You are looking for reasons to assign to me extremist positions you have already assumed I have.

Finally, I have been abrupt because of your use of words like "pathetic" to describe what I wrote. You have every right to your opinion and to be anti-American. I am simply offended by bad-manners, ie, name calling instead of expressing an honest difference of opinion.

Michael Walker

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 28
- 11/5/2002 9:59:26 AM   
Snigbert

Mike...just remember that part of the burden of being the best is having everyone else jealous and resentful of you.

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 29
- 11/5/2002 1:58:28 PM   
XPav

This thread is stupid.

If you want to argue politics, go argue on Slate or something. Of course, if you go there, be prepared to have your head handed to you, no matter your position.

I love it when a plan comes together.

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Non American Players? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI