Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ship Desings massive Oblosete

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Ship Desings massive Oblosete Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ship Desings massive Oblosete - 11/25/2011 10:00:38 AM   
Nalim27

Hello,
I was hope that most annoying think in DW will be corrected in Legends - but it is not :(. And what it is? I usually plays DW with the same race and I spend first hour immediately after start by modifying Ships designs to my requirements. That is OK. Then I save designs because I want use them in new games and I do not want to spend time with redesign everything again.
But there is the problem - when I load that designs in new game, then there is not possible to remove all generic design first and I must manually delete or make obsolete every design one by one manually.

I think that this situation can be solved very easily (for developers):
1. Add into design windows button Obsolete and allow users to select designs (selection is working now but for example Delete button do nothing with selected designs).
So user can obsolete everything by select all, press Obsolete button and then load saved designs from file. Very quick, very user friendly.

2. Another solution (more complicated for developers) can be that during loading of design game will check if there exists design for the same subcategory (for example Colony Ship) and if yes then popup window "Duplicates designs found - Do you want to replace existing designs with loaded ones?" will appear with buttons Yes/No and user can decide what engine must do.
Very quick, very user friendly too.

Erik, can you please implement this in next path? Pretty please .....

Nalim27, gamer
Post #: 1
RE: Ship Desings massive Oblosete - 11/25/2011 12:42:13 PM   
jlevans

+1

(in reply to Nalim27)
Post #: 2
RE: Ship Desings massive Oblosete - 11/25/2011 12:54:43 PM   
feelotraveller

Nalim I do exactly what you do and it is

(in reply to jlevans)
Post #: 3
RE: Ship Desings massive Oblosete - 11/25/2011 3:43:27 PM   
Erik Rutins

This screen has fallen a bit behind with the other interface improvements. I can't promise, but I'll see what we can do. I also enjoy playing with my own designs when I have time and I know what you mean.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 4
RE: Ship Desings massive Oblosete - 11/25/2011 7:24:40 PM   
Bingeling

I fail to see the major issue. Without testing the finer print, but...

On the design list you toggle obsolete status by clicking the rightmost part of the row. A red "star" appear behind obsolete designs. It is a 10 sec job to obsolete all with a mouse, and probably not much more with a touch pad.

As long as it accepts all designs obsolete (not tested) you obsolete first, and load your designs afterwards. If you do it the other way you have to pick which of the two non-obsolete designs to "obsolete". Notice the filter choice top left.

I think the design list works quite well, but the design screen could need some love to avoid very many clicks to alter a design. And as a software engineer, I want an inheritance tree for designs to have a single choice to switch reactor type on all designs (unless you override the choice somewhere).

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 5
RE: Ship Desings massive Oblosete - 11/25/2011 7:44:07 PM   
tjhkkr

On the design list you toggle obsolete status by clicking the rightmost part of the row. A red "star" appear behind obsolete designs. It is a 10 sec job to obsolete all with a mouse, and probably not much more with a touch pad.

Yes, this is how I do it...!

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 6
RE: Ship Desings massive Oblosete - 11/25/2011 7:47:08 PM   
Nalim27

Thank you for pointing that design can be obsoleted directly in the list - I did not know it.
This will definitely helps. But still obsolete all button (or some other way ) will be faster.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 7
RE: Ship Desings massive Oblosete - 11/25/2011 7:53:11 PM   
Sarissofoi

BTW Is desing your own ships is still terrible like in beggining?
Or design screen was improved?

(in reply to Nalim27)
Post #: 8
RE: Ship Desings massive Oblosete - 11/25/2011 8:00:13 PM   
w1p

I think a lot of people have mentioned it would be handy to be able to multiple select + issue commands to lists in the ship design window

the only command you can issue is upgrade. Would it not be simple to add a function to be able to obselete en-mass and delete en-mass in this window??

Only asking, not complaining!!

(in reply to Sarissofoi)
Post #: 9
RE: Ship Desings massive Oblosete - 11/25/2011 10:34:39 PM   
feelotraveller

Obsoleting can be quick. But deleting is not. Why must I delete? It goes like this-

Start a game. Load pre-existing designs (from previous game). Now, aside from my own designs which I want, I have two of each of the starting designs (unless I laboriously deleted all designs without a current ship in previous game... but that's the point). Hm, just obsolete them? OK. Now I realize that I could improve one or other of my starting designs, or I just want to muck around. Okay edit and save. Oh wait, I want these as the starting designs for my next game. Save designs.

Next game I load in the designs and I have 3 of each starting design... and a few games down the track?

The only way to avoid this is to delete the designs which are not in use one by one (you cannot as far as I know delete multiple designs with one click). Which means, if you are to stay on top of it that you must delete about 1 and 1/2 of all the basic designs (a complete set plus those, about half, for which there are no existing ships)... one by one. And you get any annoying confirm checkbox on each one. By the way if you are mindlessly clickfesting to get it done and you make a mistake then you get to start all over again.

Yes, it could do with some love.

(in reply to w1p)
Post #: 10
RE: Ship Desings massive Oblosete - 11/26/2011 3:36:57 AM   
elliotg

As others have already pointed out you can obsolete designs directly in the list by clicking in the far-right column.

I can change the Delete button to work with multi-select, so you can mass-delete designs. This would only delete a design if it was not already in use though, of course.

Post #: 11
RE: Ship Desings massive Oblosete - 11/26/2011 3:52:13 AM   
the1sean

quote:

ORIGINAL: elliotg

As others have already pointed out you can obsolete designs directly in the list by clicking in the far-right column.

I can change the Delete button to work with multi-select, so you can mass-delete designs. This would only delete a design if it was not already in use though, of course.

Elliot, if you implement multi-select and then go a step further and add an "obsolete button" next to the "delete" button, I think that it will be a much more intuitive /user-friendly setup that works similarly to many other interfaces in the game...

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 12
RE: Ship Desings massive Oblosete - 11/26/2011 5:02:13 AM   
feelotraveller

Yes obsoleting is fast and easy.

Multi-select on Delete would be great and make me a very happy camper.

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 13
RE: Ship Desings massive Oblosete - 11/26/2011 1:14:22 PM   
w1p

multi-select delete would be a godsend!!

Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Ship Desings massive Oblosete Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI