Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sicily to Brenner Pass (3.4) - mike1984 vs Oberst_Klink

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> Sicily to Brenner Pass (3.4) - mike1984 vs Oberst_Klink Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sicily to Brenner Pass (3.4) - mike1984 vs Oberst_Klink - 11/2/2011 12:57:33 PM   
mike1984

OK has been kind enough to start up a playtest (actually, it's the second go-round, since we've already found some things that needed immediate fixing) my latest round of edits for Sicily to Brenner Pass, updated for TOAW 3.4.

For those who didn't follow any of this before, here is the list of edits I've made so far to the original SBP - clipped from the scenario briefing:
quote:

CHANGES IN THIS VERSION
-Each side can now pick and choose when it will have sea and air transport.
-Shock bonuses and penalties possible for either side based on events.
-Supply levels can change based on events.
-Supply updated to work better with the new supply rules.
-Allied naval units, including aircraft carrier groups.
-New units added, others deleted, withdrawal dates adjusted.
-Reduced replacement rates.
-Attrition rate adjusted to cause lower casualties.

SCENARIO NOTES

New Allied Formations

This updated SBP includes all major historical belligerents in the battles for Sicily and Italy. Each player should take note that there are two significant additions to the order of battle:
-Allied naval "Eastern" and "Western" task forces
-US 9th Division

As for the removal/addition of reinforcements, many of the original withdrawl dates remain intact. However, several of the event-activated withdrawls have changed. This is to allow the scenario to flow more freely with the ahistorical timeline that will surely take over as the game goes on.

US 9th Division
The US 9th Division--absent from the original versions of SBP--will now arrive following the Allied capture of Palermo. The 9th Division was only called up to Sicily, as a provisional division, for the latter half of the battle, participating in the battles around Traoina. In SBP, as was the historical case, the 9th Division was withdrawn to begin preparations for Overlord, following the fall of Messina. But more on that later.

Allied Navy
The Eastern and Western Task Forces are present on Turn 1, however, as the historical need for naval and naval air support shifted to other operations outside of the Italian Mainland, these units were not influential factors in the overall liberation of Italy north of Rome. ALL FOUR ALLIED NAVAL GROUPS WILL BE REMOVED 10 DAYS AFTER THE ALLIES CAPTURE SALERNO. When the Allied navy is present, the house rules should be as follows: 1) no naval units in anchorage hexes, or directly adjacent to land hexes; 2) naval units may not bombard Axis airfields; 3) naval air units MUST remain carrier-based.

Significant Withdrawls

The Allies will face three major withdrawls in this scenario. The first will be following the fall of Messina. This is to replicate the strategic shift of focus towards the invation of France. Seven days after the Allies capture Messina, the following Allied divisions will be withdrawn:
-British 50th and 51st Divisions
-US 1st and 9th Infantry Divisions
-US 2nd Armored Division

The second of the two major withdrawls will come prior to the historical Operation Dragoon (Anvil). Unlike the Overlord withdrawls, which were event-activated, this withdrawl comes on Turn 365. The following units will be withdrawn:
-French 3rd Algerian, 2nd Morrocan, 4th Morrocan, 1st Motorised
-US 3rd, 36th, and 45th Infantry Divisions
-US VI Corps units

The final major removal of Allied troops will come when historically the 1st Canadian Corps was moved from southern to northern Europe. This too is a turn-activated withdrawl. The following units will be removed on Turn 602:
-Canadian 5th Armored Division
-Canadian 1st and 5th Infantry Divisions
-Canadian I Corps units

Supply

Supply points and values have been added for most anchorage hexes for the Allies; and a few key locations for the Axis. Check the map (until I update this briefing) to see where your supply hexes are located.

Shock

-Allied forces will receive shock and air shock bonuses when the major sea and air transports are activated. This is in order to assist in the landing operations.
-Axis forces have a window of opportunity to strike a critical blow to the Allies early in the game, by occupying Gela and/or Siragusa. If either is taken, Allies will suffer in supply and get a shock penalty. If both are taken, Allies suffer twice.

Sea and Air Operations

Unlike the original versions of SBP, this updated version now allows each player to select when they want to activate and utilize one of several time-limited sealifts and, in the Allies' case, airlift. Both players have a constant rail transport of 5000, but it might not be too useful if the railroads are bombed into oblivion.

How the transport works... The players will now have a few disbandable units--the Allies' units near North Africa, the Axis' units north of Brenner Pass--that, when disbanded, will activate a desired level of transport, for a certain amount of time. The are as follows:

Axis
-Sea 5000 A: 3-day sea transport, value 5000
-Sea 5000 B: 3-day sea transport, value 5000
-Sea 20000: 5-day sea transport, value 20000
-Axis will never have air transport capability

Allied
-Sea 10000 A: 5-day sea transport, value 10000
-Sea 10000 B: 5-day sea transport, value 10000
-Sea 50000: 7-day sea transport, value 50000
-Air 10000: 3-day air transport, value 10000
-Allies has a constant sea transport level of 2000*

*The Allied player should not abuse this. Use it for only one or two end-run-style operations (like the historical action at Brolo), but otherwise just use it for simple shuttling of troops.
Eventual changes I'd like to explore:
quote:

-Theatre Options for invasions: Allies are required to "activate" which beaches they want to land upon. This would open many more possibilities for scenario variability and things like shock effects, supply effects, transport availability. Making this happen will take some time, though, so it's not on my immediate list of things to do.
-Full audit of forces: Go line-by-line through the forces, improving accuracy.
-Make global events effect SBP: Outside factors, such as historical events, have an impact on the game.

Now, for this particular AAR. I'm going to post AAR entries starting on Turn 2. However, following that, I will wait until Turn 10 before resuming the AAR. After that, it should be an average of one AAR entry per turn.

< Message edited by mike1984 -- 11/2/2011 1:23:09 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Sicily to Brenner Pass (3.4) - mike1984 vs Oberst_K... - 11/2/2011 7:05:25 PM   
Telumar

Looking forward to the AAR. Regarding the OOB/TOE audit, you may want to take a look at the OOB of Anzio 1944. I could also provide you with what i got for Salerno.

Besides that, i think the map needs an audition, too.

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 2
RE: Sicily to Brenner Pass (3.4) - mike1984 vs Oberst_K... - 11/3/2011 11:42:59 AM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telumar

Looking forward to the AAR. Regarding the OOB/TOE audit, you may want to take a look at the OOB of Anzio 1944. I could also provide you with what i got for Salerno.

Besides that, i think the map needs an audition, too.

Telu, I sent you the TOE&OOB for Sicily, Anzio, Salerno I think... you know, the extracted 'stuff' from the JT files, aye?

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 3
RE: Sicily to Brenner Pass (3.4) - mike1984 vs Oberst_K... - 11/3/2011 3:30:16 PM   
Oberst_Klink

OK. Here's my first AAR, my intentions are explained opn the map.

Klink, Oberst

Attachment (1)

My Blog & on Twitter.

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 4
ALLIED Turn 2 - 11/6/2011 12:49:28 PM   
mike1984

Turn 1-2
10Jul43
Everything is pretty much normal for a SBP start. The US 3rd ID is screening the left flank. US 1st & 45th IDs and 82nd AB are moving north along the Piazza Armerina roads. The British and Canadians are dealing with the IT Coastal divisions around Ragusa. BR 5th ID moves quickly north toward the Gerbini airfields and Catania. Again, this is all standard for any start for Sicily to Brenner Pass.

I will be resuming this AAR after we reach Turn 10 in gameplay, at which time I will post Turn 4.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 5
ALLIED TURN 3 - 11/17/2011 3:28:58 PM   
mike1984

Turn 3
12 Jul 43

US 1st & 45th IDs, move parallel northward toward Enna and Traoina. BR 50th, 5th and 1st ABde reach Gerbini, but are stopped cold by a solid line of Italian and German mixed forces.

The Italian Coastal divisions around Ragusa have put up a better fight than any of the Commonwealth divisions expected. Still, the bulk of British infantry moves north along the coast, while the CN 1st ID and elements of the BR 51st ID continue dealing with the remaining Italians.

US 3rd ID finds the main bridge to Ribera destroyed, leading me to believe the Italians have set up a defensive line along the river. Engineers discover this to be true, encountering a few IT infantry units across the smaller bridge.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 6
RE: ALLIED TURN 3 - 11/20/2011 2:41:32 PM   
Oberst_Klink

Situation and intention of the German and Italian forces in Sicily, including Ic Lagemeldung.

Klink, Oberst

Attachment (1)

My Blog & on Twitter.

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 7
13 JUL 43 - 11/21/2011 1:52:56 PM   
mike1984

Turn 4
13Jul43

Rather than attack across the river, US 3rd ID will try to flank the Italian defensive line by marching north. US 1st ID meets the extension of the Axis defensive line west of Traoina, but does not engage. The British near Gerbini have to deal with a small, but relatively intense German counterattack that pushes back several regiments. Reinforcements from the south (51st ID) are marching to assist.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by mike1984 -- 11/21/2011 1:53:15 PM >

Post #: 8
RE: 13 JUL 43 - 11/23/2011 6:20:06 PM   
ogar

Thanks for the AAR guys. I appreciate seeing what you're going through, and seeing the results of the effort to write this stuff up.

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 9
RE: 13 JUL 43 - 11/26/2011 11:39:54 PM   
leridano

Nice AAR! Thanks!

(in reply to ogar)
    Post #: 10
    RE: 13 JUL 43 - 11/27/2011 10:05:29 AM   
    Oberst_Klink

Sorry for the delay folks, the Oberst is suffering severe chills and symptoms of a Mediterranean flu!

Klink, Oberst

Attachment (1)

My Blog & on Twitter.

(in reply to leridano)
    Post #: 11
    14 JUL 43 - 12/4/2011 11:11:57 AM   
    mike1984

Turn 5
    14Jul43

In the west, US 3rd ID extends its defensive line northward along the river. The Italians are thin, but strong enough to repel an attack. Also, assembling the division for an attack would leave large portions of the Allied left flank vulnerable to Italian offensives.

On the east coast, the US divisions have moved quickly, and now face Italian infantry west of Traoina. The British settle into offensive-defensive positions south of Gerbini, while the British Armored brigades move to the front lines between the US and British infantry sectors. The British and Canadians are still dealing with the remaining Italian units in the south. This is growing into a larger problem, as these Allied units could be better used on the front lines.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 12
    RE: 14 JUL 43 - 12/5/2011 5:09:59 PM   
    Oberst_Klink

Sorry for being a bit late folks... Have been suffering from some kind of swamp fever and the chills.
    Attached the latest develpments in the east. All quite so far on the western front...

As you might have noticed there are still some Italian (!!!) trooops resisting the Ango-American hords in
    the sothern sector. There's not much to report about heroic actions or pointless counter-attacks a la Gela
    or Primasol bridge. Smiling Albert thought it might be better to see what Monty and the Yanks are up to.

Klink, Oberst

Attachment (1)

My Blog & on Twitter.

(in reply to mike1984)
    Post #: 13
    15 JUL 43 - 12/7/2011 7:54:10 PM   
    mike1984

Turn 6
    15Jul43
    As progress slows, the Axis forces take advantage by bolstering the northern sectors of their defensive line. Attacking across the river is looking like less of an option for the US 45th ID, even with the new support from British Armored. The British infantry on the right aren’t able to do much of anything.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 14
    RE: 15 JUL 43 - 12/10/2011 6:50:06 PM   
    Oberst_Klink

No real 'exciting' developments; my defense in the west counters the intentions of the XIII. BR Corps to
    head along the coastal road.

Klink, Oberst

Attachment (1)

My Blog & on Twitter.

(in reply to mike1984)
    Post #: 15
    Merry Christmas... - 12/24/2011 5:38:00 PM   
    Oberst_Klink

to all of you, your family and loved ones.

Klink, Oberst

Attachment (1)

My Blog & on Twitter.

Post #: 16
    Page:   [1]
    All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> Sicily to Brenner Pass (3.4) - mike1984 vs Oberst_Klink Page: [1]
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI