Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: New DW: Legends Public Beta v1.7.0.2 Available!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: New DW: Legends Public Beta v1.7.0.2 Available! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New DW: Legends Public Beta v1.7.0.2 Available! - 12/1/2011 4:35:42 AM   
HectorOfTroy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi everyone,

Some good news. Elliot found and fixed the issue that was creating the decreased performance in 1.7.0.2, so the next build should have even better performance than 1.7.0.1, as intended.

Regards,

- Erik

Give our thankss to Elliot. Thank you as well for being his eyes and ears and always picking up relevant problems.

P.S. How do we roll back to 1701 patch?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 91
RE: New DW: Legends Public Beta v1.7.0.2 Available! - 12/1/2011 5:05:42 AM   
Fideach

By reinstalling as far as I know lol..

Either way, I'll just deal with it till the new patch, which should resolve it. I have faith in these guys!

Edit: By of which, I'd have even more faith in them if they go bluntly rip off all the components in Space Empires Five.. or at least get inspired by it ^.^

< Message edited by Fideach -- 12/1/2011 5:06:15 AM >

(in reply to HectorOfTroy)
Post #: 92
RE: New DW: Legends Public Beta v1.7.0.2 Available! - 12/1/2011 5:10:15 AM   
Gelatinous Cube

SEV was god-awful obtuse and hard to learn. Good game once you figured it out, but one of the best things about DW is its accessability plus its depth!

Anyways, yes.. glad to hear the problem is already resolved.

(in reply to Fideach)
Post #: 93
RE: New DW: Legends Public Beta v1.7.0.2 Available! - 12/1/2011 5:14:24 AM   
Baleur

Also, the worst thing about SEV........ 2fps in the menus. Amazing. lol
Great concepts though like creating stars and blasting them apart, ringworlds etc. Need epic stuff like that in Distant Worlds too :)

(in reply to Gelatinous Cube)
Post #: 94
RE: New DW: Legends Public Beta v1.7.0.2 Available! - 12/1/2011 5:16:02 AM   
Gelatinous Cube

quote:

ORIGINAL: Baleur

Also, the worst thing about SEV........ 2fps in the menus. Amazing. lol
Great concepts though like creating stars and blasting them apart, ringworlds etc. Need epic stuff like that in Distant Worlds too :)

I thought Star Ruler did the best job providing you with a quick and in-depth way to play with super-futuristic tech. Just a shame there was less immersion than you usually find in a public restroom.

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 95
RE: New DW: Legends Public Beta v1.7.0.2 Available! - 12/1/2011 6:06:50 AM   
BigWolfChris

quote:

ORIGINAL: adamsolo

quote:

ORIGINAL: WoodMan

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

I also think migration to new colonies needed a massive boost for passenger ship space as it takes to long to make new colonies relevant..Hopefully next.

I second this. It takes TOO long to develop colonies. It's like the game ends before many colonies reach decent population numbers. This should be tweaked.

I like it how it is, I play with everything set to as slow and low as possible.  Please don't tweak this.  If you must, give us an option, but don't tweak it without giving us an option in the new game screen.  Population growth is already outpacing everything else at the slowest speeds, making it faster would ruin things for me.

They already boosted this in the past AND in Legends the races pop growth was boosted again.  Please no change without an option.

So, I guess you like to play with colonies never reaching billions of citizens hum? In my games the capital supports almost 95/99% of the game total income through the all game. Even at late bigger games new colonies only provide residual income through taxes. Is this fun? I play more than half my games with 0% taxes everywhere in the hope of colonies developing faster but they are too slow.

If there would be an option great (like a migration policy incentive increase/decrese). Maybe if I design bigger passenger ships (with more passenger compartments) maybe that can boost migration and population boost.

0% tax with happiness boosters (med/recreation in bases, with supplies of luxuries) does wonders for pop growth
I have multiple 10B+ plus pop worlds in about 10-15 game years, infact, I run the tax on my homeworld as low as my economy allows until it hits maximum population, and I never tax other colonies until they are nearing max pop either

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core @3.7GHz
2x16 GB Vengeance LPX 2666MHz RAM
MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive

(in reply to adamsolo)
Post #: 96
RE: New DW: Legends Public Beta v1.7.0.2 Available! - 12/1/2011 6:10:48 AM   
Gelatinous Cube

Also, as of Legends, different Race and Government types are much more important in how fast your population will grow. Under ideally circumstances, however, it only takes about 10 years for a good quality colony to start making you real money. By year 25 or so you can certainly have one or more colonies that equal your homeworld.

(in reply to BigWolfChris)
Post #: 97
RE: New DW: Legends Public Beta v1.7.0.2 Available! - 12/1/2011 6:35:57 AM   
Fideach

My only gripe with SE5 was the AI and it seemingly was abandoned pretty quickly. But I loved the ship design, the battles, and all the components in it. I would love to see a lot of it in Distant Worlds, especially the organic, crystal tech, etc to make each race more unique. I always figured the insect races would have at least semi-organic tech.

Star ruler was good, especially if you used some of the mods they have out for it now. But it felt more like an RTS then an 4X game to me.

Thanks for the tips on the worlds, I'll have to see if I can't make some adjustments on my worlds and make them grow faster. I never have a problem with pop growth with one of the insect races.. but the others, like Human, seem to grow quite slowly most of the time.

(in reply to Gelatinous Cube)
Post #: 98
RE: New DW: Legends Public Beta v1.7.0.2 Available! - 12/1/2011 7:09:50 AM   
J HG T

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi everyone,

Some good news. Elliot found and fixed the issue that was creating the decreased performance in 1.7.0.2, so the next build should have even better performance than 1.7.0.1, as intended.

Regards,

- Erik

So very glad to hear that!

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 99
RE: New DW: Legends Public Beta v1.7.0.2 Available! - 12/1/2011 10:30:37 AM   
adamsolo

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigWolf

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

I also think migration to new colonies needed a massive boost for passenger ship space as it takes to long to make new colonies relevant..Hopefully next.

I second this. It takes TOO long to develop colonies. It's like the game ends before many colonies reach decent population numbers. This should be tweaked.

I like it how it is, I play with everything set to as slow and low as possible.  Please don't tweak this.  If you must, give us an option, but don't tweak it without giving us an option in the new game screen.  Population growth is already outpacing everything else at the slowest speeds, making it faster would ruin things for me.

They already boosted this in the past AND in Legends the races pop growth was boosted again.  Please no change without an option.

So, I guess you like to play with colonies never reaching billions of citizens hum? In my games the capital supports almost 95/99% of the game total income through the all game. Even at late bigger games new colonies only provide residual income through taxes. Is this fun? I play more than half my games with 0% taxes everywhere in the hope of colonies developing faster but they are too slow.

If there would be an option great (like a migration policy incentive increase/decrese). Maybe if I design bigger passenger ships (with more passenger compartments) maybe that can boost migration and population boost.

0% tax with happiness boosters (med/recreation in bases, with supplies of luxuries) does wonders for pop growth
I have multiple 10B+ plus pop worlds in about 10-15 game years, infact, I run the tax on my homeworld as low as my economy allows until it hits maximum population, and I never tax other colonies until they are nearing max pop either

Ok, a med and a recreation center would help boost pop growth yes (although only one of each works, more do not increase effect). I always wait for small space ports to complete in my new colonies. They bring a med and recreation facility, now I see that I shouldn't! because it just takes ages for space ports to complete. In my current game I am in year 9 and only recently my first colony was able to finish its first small space port, is this normal? It had all the necessary goods, it's just too god damn slow... While I'm in the subjectm why would constructor ships be able to build any kind of starbase fast but not be able to build space ports? You can only build a sp in a planet. At least constructors could assist or something to make the building in poor colonies faster.

As I've said I'm in year 9 and my first colony (the one with more population excluding the capital) has only 178M people (it has 31% pop growth and 47% development. You say that you have multiple +10billion worlds starting at 10 game years. So what's going on here?

So:
1. Do you guys also experience very slow space port construction (I understand that may happen because there's "little" population amount in the planet right?)

2. Why do I only have 178M people in my first most populous colony after 9 years?!

I'm playing Legends, Hard, Large, Starting age, Fully manual, 1.7.0.0

\Edit: Well, I guess having a Leader with -20% Colony Happiness doesn't help :) BTW I dismissed him and in a short time a new one emerged, so dont' worry in dismissing leaders. Would that happen with other type of characters I wonder? Gonna try.

But this leader poor happiness trait would explain only half of it I guess since in RotS I also experienced slow expansion. I still would like to have your take on small space ports taking 7-9 years to complete in new colonies, is that normal?

< Message edited by adamsolo -- 12/1/2011 10:41:08 AM >

SpaceSector.com
Your source for Space & Sci-Fi Strategy Games

Post #: 100
RE: New DW: Legends Public Beta v1.7.0.2 Available! - 12/1/2011 10:33:14 AM   
dejagore

any ETA on v1.7.0.3 ?

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 101
RE: New DW: Legends Public Beta v1.7.0.2 Available! - 12/1/2011 10:54:02 AM   
WiZz

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2964927

(in reply to dejagore)
Post #: 102
RE: New DW: Legends Public Beta v1.7.0.2 Available! - 12/1/2011 11:59:46 AM   
Bingeling

I want to play my mature game, but as it lags bad I am waiting for the next beta patch. What I have noticed though is freighters with full holds, and trade links disappearing between some colonies. I am unsure if this is new or not, as my colonies are rather mature, and probably trade less. But it could be a freighter improvement showing.

I have been "bitten" by the new alertness to attacks when I want to for instance move my military ship away from the threat to wait for incoming forces. It turned right back at the enemy . Not a bad thing, curing one thing (lazy ships that are not micro managed) does of course also affect old micro management habits.

One issue that is still present is poor basic survival strategies from fleets, but I am not sure if this really is easily curable or not. I had a 43 ship fleet of cruisers and carriers with 9000 strength jump into a gas cloud with a massive kaltor swarm. They don't really manage to do this well, even if they sport titan beams and the nice end game torpedy (both with no improvement tech). They lack alertness to the monster nearby, and sit idle or focus on one too far away. When I micro manage them (a bit hard with 43 ships spreading out), I can manage to save the situation with only 3 damaged cruisers, but I of course employ a very hard "closest first" priority.

This was a hydrogen cloud withing the sphere of influence of the former capital of a powerful AI empire (Gizurean). Now it is the former capital of a still powerful AI empire. I think the AI would never successfully clear such a nest, and I guess that even my rather powerful 43 ship fleet would lose quite a few ships with no intervention. And the AI does not build fleets like that at this stage.

So the main question is if one could manage to introduce "close range" alertness even to enemies (and wildlife) not currently attacking the ship without sending the computer running the game to its knees.

(in reply to WiZz)
Post #: 103
RE: New DW: Legends Public Beta v1.7.0.2 Available! - 12/1/2011 12:53:01 PM   
HectorOfTroy

Adam, maybe your colony maxes out at 178mil.

(in reply to adamsolo)
Post #: 104
RE: New DW: Legends Public Beta v1.7.0.2 Available! - 12/1/2011 1:02:54 PM   
adamsolo

quote:

ORIGINAL: HectorOfTroy

Adam, maybe your colony maxes out at 178mil.

No Hector, the planet is not that small. Part of the problem was that I had a -20% Colony Happiness leader. Great leader hum. Although I like to play with what I've got I think this penalty is probably too big, for a leader. For a colony governor it's ok, it only affects that particular colony, but the entire empire with -20% colony happiness, ouch! Maybe it should start with -2% or -5%. I fired the leader, of course. Then a junior one appeared, oh well, I guess it was my fault not to fire myself faster.

Can I ask if you find space ports taking too much time to build. My first small space port can take up to 8 years to finish :( It's too long no? I have all the goods it needs, it's just slow because there are <200 million people there. I find this a bit too much

\Edit Now that I think about it, it's kinda cool that the space port takes 8 years to build because it probably is a realistic number, but games last what in average? 20, 30 years? Maybe sp construction time should be improved? I have no problem with colony ships building being slow, that's cool, but space ports, boy ... And if you consider that a constructor builds a massive starbase in 3 months why can't I use a constructor to build a space port? :)

< Message edited by adamsolo -- 12/1/2011 1:07:01 PM >

SpaceSector.com

Post #: 105
RE: New DW: Legends Public Beta v1.7.0.2 Available! - 12/1/2011 1:06:21 PM   
HectorOfTroy

Yeah the ports take longer to build. I remember Erik saying somwhere that that is a new feature.

Few times I lacked some resources as well, but once I got them spaceports were built.

Personally, I don't have a problem with it at all. I just need to plan a bit more ahead ( fleet to protect the colony, maybe agas mine nearby, etc).

(in reply to adamsolo)
Post #: 106
RE: New DW: Legends Public Beta v1.7.0.2 Available! - 12/1/2011 1:09:29 PM   
adamsolo

quote:

Yeah the ports take longer to build. I remember Erik saying somwhere that that is a new feature.

Few times I lacked some resources as well, but once I got them spaceports were built.

Personally, I don't have a problem with it at all. I just need to plan a bit more ahead ( fleet to protect the colony, maybe agas mine nearby, etc).

Yes, I get that, I also don't have a big problem with slow space port construction, the problem is that it doesn't make sense for a massive starbase to be built in outer space in 3 months and a small space port to take 8 years to build near a colony. It's just me here that finds this odd?

SpaceSector.com

Post #: 107
RE: New DW: Legends Public Beta v1.7.0.2 Available! - 12/1/2011 1:11:53 PM   
HectorOfTroy

quote:

quote:

Yes, I get that, I also don't have a big problem with slow space port construction, the problem is that it doesn't make sense for a massive starbase to be built in outer space in 3 months and a small space port to take 8 years to build near a colony. It's just me here that finds this odd?

Hmm 8 years is too long. I'm pretty sure mine were built quicker then that.

(in reply to adamsolo)
Post #: 108
RE: New DW: Legends Public Beta v1.7.0.2 Available! - 12/1/2011 2:51:39 PM   
Krippakrull

So, is there any way to go back to the 1.7.0.1 patch? Seems like it is deleted from the member download area. :/

Post #: 109
RE: New DW: Legends Public Beta v1.7.0.2 Available! - 12/1/2011 2:56:39 PM   
WoodMan

Re: Population Growth/Migration

It is slow in DW, but it suits the game.  I start taxing at 2 Billion population, it takes an hour or two into the game before I get a decent set of colonies up and running at a taxable level.  However, considering with research on the slowest speed you will have only advanced 1 or 2 techs up a single tree in this time, its just about right.

Any increase would move away from the 4x style and into a more RTS, like Sins of a Solar Empire Style.  I understand some people might want to play a faster game, but I like my games to go on for hundreds of years if possible.  I don't want all my colonies to max out way before the tech tree does, at the moment pop growth is just about right for slowest slider tech, if anything its a bit too fast.

I would fully support a slider to regulate the pop growth of planets so that those who want to play faster games can, but I would be very disappointed if they increased migration/pop growth for a third time when I was happy with it to begin with.  So, an option to increase by say 50% or 100% in the new game screen would be fine, because I can keep it how I like it while those who want a faster game can speed it up.

Current problem is with research on slow like I enjoy it, I would have an end-game empire with an early game tech which causes all sorts of problems and breaks the immersion too.

So once again: If you increase population or migration growth further make it an option in the new game screen so those of us who like to play at a 4x speed rather than a RTS speed can carry on having fun.

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

Post #: 110
RE: New DW: Legends Public Beta v1.7.0.2 Available! - 12/1/2011 3:04:19 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Krippakrull
So, is there any way to go back to the 1.7.0.1 patch? Seems like it is deleted from the member download area. :/

The new 1.7.0.3 will be available this morning. Hang in there.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Krippakrull)
Post #: 111
RE: New DW: Legends Public Beta v1.7.0.2 Available! - 12/1/2011 3:06:21 PM   
solops

Woodman: I agree. I set R&D around 700 to 900 and set out for a long game. Development means something. Losing a good planet or research station, especially unexpectedly to a Silvermist, can be a catastrophy, not just a "ho hum, I'll replace that quick enough." Mt passenger liners tend to be big and fast, always with the latest engines/warp drive and LOTS of fuel.

< Message edited by solops -- 12/1/2011 3:07:26 PM >

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 112
RE: New DW: Legends Public Beta v1.7.0.2 Available! - 12/1/2011 3:53:59 PM   
Shark7

There are plenty of us that prefer extremely long games. I don't want to get too big, too fast. Since I set my research at max (999k), if the population grows to fast, the game is over before I get to tech level 3.

I definately support Woodman's idea of a slider for 'growth speed' so that we can have something that suits everyone.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to solops)
Post #: 113
RE: New DW: Legends Public Beta v1.7.0.2 Available! - 12/1/2011 4:55:31 PM   
Bingeling

In my current game I feel the game got out of hand, but it is still very fun. I think I have research on "slow" and that I just got started. I have had two proper wars. My very fast researching scientists are now typically focusing on the "late year" technologies. I have plasma torpedoes, titan beams, it completed the final reactor, and started on the torrent drive.

And the galaxy is stuffed full of people? 700 star 6x6 if I remember right. So early end game tech (and 500 size shipyards of which I traded for every one - stupid AI), and I feel that I am just getting warm. I don't play this game fast. The save file hints at it being 2839 or a bit later but years means nothing for me in this game.

Whenever I click on a colony, I seem to see a 10000M population. I think the galaxy should be full soon. I did manual taxes, and had my future (now current) economy star running more than 30% population growth as the Zenox. When population in the billions run 30% growth, you fill up the galaxy quite fast. Continental economy was stupid. I had multiple close 90+% continentals breeding around 30% and only taxed two colonies... That with a trying home colony.

The new wonders make things worse. The economy star got a trader bazaar for 50% extra income, a governor with 38% income bonus, and is a bit annoyed at its 65% tax taken from the 960k revenue. I have about 1000k in tax income, run a 100k negative cashflow, but if that worries me i got a 300k revenue colony with current 0% tax that could save me.

Lots of cruisers (195), carriers, medium and large space ports, and more than 80 defensive bases across my 24 colonies. And no issue at all supporting that. Considering what the Dhayut sent at my colony in our little war, I don't figure they have much issues with economy either...

In what I feel is still quite early days.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 114
RE: New DW: Legends Public Beta v1.7.0.2 Available! - 12/1/2011 5:08:56 PM   
Fideach

Is there anything to actually keep the player or the AI empires from colonizing planet after planet of high quality? I know low quality cost you money, but higher ones don't. Even if they aren't generating revenue at first, you still can spread out quickly.

Probably be better if every colony cost you money for a while till they develop. Even low quality planets. Low ones just cost you more money and time in the long run to get them profitable. Every colony should require an investment of money from the empire in tax revenue for a while till they are self-sustaining and can contribute to the economy.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 115
RE: New DW: Legends Public Beta v1.7.0.2 Available! - 12/1/2011 5:15:43 PM   
Bingeling

Of course there is something stopping you. Available colony spots. Remember that now almost all the galaxy is "owned" so decent colony spots may be unused until late in the game.

And a new colony does cost you a bit, depending on location. You need to protect it if it is to have mining bases nearby. Which means more war ships required to keep your areas safe. If colonization was to become really hard, I believe the game would become something completely different.

I wonder if characters and wonders have not inflated much of the game quite badly.

(in reply to Fideach)
Post #: 116
RE: New DW: Legends Public Beta v1.7.0.2 Available! - 12/1/2011 5:55:23 PM   
BigWolfChris

Having colonies run negative while, say less than 50% developed could be a good idea (lower the quality, the more it costs)
Of course, I would also love ways to increase quality, say a function of the terraforming facility, improves planet quality upto a max of 85%?  That would make low-quality planets useful long-term

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core @3.7GHz
2x16 GB Vengeance LPX 2666MHz RAM
MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 117
RE: New DW: Legends Public Beta v1.7.0.2 Available! - 12/1/2011 6:14:08 PM   
Fideach

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigWolf

Having colonies run negative while, say less than 50% developed could be a good idea (lower the quality, the more it costs)
Of course, I would also love ways to increase quality, say a function of the terraforming facility, improves planet quality upto a max of 85%?  That would make low-quality planets useful long-term

My thoughts as well. I would love to see a lot more buildings added to the game to influence things. Police stations to reduce unrest, intelligence agencies to increase counter esponage or the likely hood of recruiting intelligence agents.
I'd even be happy to see some additional components being added to the game for you to add to your space stations to modify things. Beyond just the medical and recreational centers.

With the current game model, having extra colonies of good quality costs me nothing extra, as I always have more then enough ships to protect my interests. Especially if I'm playing one of the races with income bonuses and certain types of governments. Money is almost never an issue for me in the game, even playing on very hard settings and with a less then desirable starting system. Also pirates and monsters are no threat to colonies as they don't invade. So I can leave that be for a while with out issue. Would make more sense and for better game play I think if you had to do more then just send a colony ship to a planet. Having to invest money initially into colonies would keep you from spamming them. Be interesting to see something like a terraforming ship you could deploy mid to late game at uncolonized planets, to increase quality of planets, or change barren ones into ones you could colonize.

< Message edited by Fideach -- 12/1/2011 6:15:16 PM >

Post #: 118
RE: New DW: Legends Public Beta v1.7.0.2 Available! - 12/1/2011 6:33:03 PM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

I played all weekend and not a single new colony added any tax worthy to my empire or any population past 400 million.This is not slow it is broke.The other issue is homeworlds become a game killer if you lose them which is not good for the A.I.I am not asking for pop growth inceased but migration from the homeworld to new colonies needs a massive buff.

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 119
RE: New DW: Legends Public Beta v1.7.0.2 Available! - 12/1/2011 6:36:52 PM   
WoodMan

Ash something is definately wrong buddy.  It doesn't take that long for populations to get past 400 mill in my games, 1 to 2 hours to get to 2 billion here, I haven't timed it though, but thats how it seems.  (Basically one or two sittings because I pretty much play in 1 or 2 hours sessions).

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: New DW: Legends Public Beta v1.7.0.2 Available! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI