Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Silvermist

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Silvermist Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Silvermist - 12/2/2011 1:55:47 AM   
blastpop

Can you play legends without the Silvermist?

I don't have Legends yet and am curious.
Post #: 1
RE: Silvermist - 12/2/2011 2:15:59 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: blastpop

Can you play legends without the Silvermist?

I don't have Legends yet and am curious.

Yes creatures off

(in reply to blastpop)
Post #: 2
RE: Silvermist - 12/2/2011 3:08:07 AM   
DasTactic

My current AAR has 'creatures off' but the Silver Mist is still there. I guess it is more an event like the plagues and legendary pirates so I'm guessing you would need off events to stop it.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 3
RE: Silvermist - 12/2/2011 3:32:29 AM   
Malevolence

hmmm. that shouldn't be... will take a look at that.

Nicht kleckern, sondern klotzen!

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 4
RE: Silvermist - 12/2/2011 4:38:48 AM   
ehsumrell1

I do believe that Elliot has the SilverMist as more of an event. Elliot or Erik
correct me if I'm wrong.

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Malevolence)
Post #: 5
RE: Silvermist - 12/2/2011 6:08:42 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Das123

My current AAR has 'creatures off' but the Silver Mist is still there. I guess it is more an event like the plagues and legendary pirates so I'm guessing you would need off events to stop it.

Hello Das123;

Whether the SilverMist appears in the game is controlled by the 'Disasters and other Events' checkbox.
I've verified this from my testing notes from Elliot.

< Message edited by ehsumrell1 -- 12/2/2011 6:09:22 AM >

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 6
RE: Silvermist - 12/2/2011 6:34:22 AM   
Malevolence

indeed. tyvm. silvermist is set as an event. I also posted a change request, because I agree that doesn't make sense.

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 7
RE: Silvermist - 12/2/2011 7:20:15 AM   
sveint

Need option "no Silvermist". AI doesn't handle it well.

Post #: 8
RE: Silvermist - 12/2/2011 12:14:12 PM   
comsolut

I like having the normal space creatures but dislike Silvermist.

SO - the perfect and unquestionably best strategy for eliminating the Silvermist with no pain and suffering ....... wait for it

The eraser tool in Game editor - works everytime

(in reply to sveint)
Post #: 9
RE: Silvermist - 12/2/2011 12:16:54 PM   
Malevolence

Incoming change in the next patch --

quote:

SilverMist creature now only appears if Disaster events are enabled (Start New Game - Victory Conditions step) AND space creature prevalence is not "None" (Start New Game - The Galaxy step)

In short, to see Silvermist, both disasters and monsters must be set true... otherwise no Silvermist.

< Message edited by Malevolence -- 12/2/2011 12:17:57 PM >

(in reply to comsolut)
Post #: 10
RE: Silvermist - 12/2/2011 1:04:34 PM   
blastpop

Thanks! watching the replay by Das123 they look to be a pain and not something I wish to play against.

Post #: 11
RE: Silvermist - 12/2/2011 1:43:10 PM   
Keston

They sound like replicators - how can a Stargate fan resist?

(in reply to blastpop)
Post #: 12
RE: Silvermist - 12/2/2011 1:44:42 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Blastpop,

Actually, they are fun, but only if you enjoy "mega-threat" level creatures. Think the Replicators from SG-1 and you'll be in the right frame of mind.

With that said, the intention was that the Legendary Pirates would only appear if Disasters AND Pirates were set on and the Slivermist would only appear if Disasters AND Creatures were set on, as each of these are "disasters" as well as creatures and pirates. So if you turn either off as of the next update, you will not see them.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to blastpop)
Post #: 13
RE: Silvermist - 12/2/2011 1:58:24 PM   
WoodMan

I personally like the addition of the Silvermist to the game 

I dunno why, I find them cute, they look a bit like a fluffy cloud bringing doom and destruction

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 14
RE: Silvermist - 12/2/2011 2:54:32 PM   
Cauldyth

What I like about SilverMists is that they're just the right level of mega-threat. They spread, but not too quickly. A mega-threat like the SilverMist which rampages across the galaxy quickly would be very annoying. Conversely, if they stayed put in their system of origin, they'd be easily ignored. As it is, they're a dangerous, but very slow moving threat. I like the fact that pockets of the galaxy can be turned into no man's land. I only wish I could flag those systems as quarantined, so my ship AI would stop trickling ships into there!

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 15
RE: Silvermist - 12/2/2011 2:54:52 PM   
Bingeling

Apart from the very early game, the legendary pirates are not a proper disaster, they are more of a loot piñata.
Mixed with a couple of wars they can of course be an annoyance.

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 16
RE: Silvermist - 12/2/2011 3:09:17 PM   
WiZz

Hmm... I've been thinking about my concept and have additional idea for my creature. What do you think about making Silvermist threat not to only intelligence races but to ALL organic life in Galaxy? How does it look like? Now, when Silvermist attacks a planet, creature makes it unusable for further colonization FOREVER. So, in the game attacked planet changes its TYPE and becomes BARREN.
P.S Moar hardcore to game      

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 17
RE: Silvermist - 12/2/2011 3:14:39 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: WoodMan

I personally like the addition of the Silvermist to the game 

I dunno why, I find them cute, they look a bit like a fluffy cloud bringing doom and destruction

Fluffy....Destroyer of Worlds.

Catchy.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 18
RE: Silvermist - 12/2/2011 4:02:52 PM   
MasterChief

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cauldyth

What I like about SilverMists is that they're just the right level of mega-threat. They spread, but not too quickly. A mega-threat like the SilverMist which rampages across the galaxy quickly would be very annoying. Conversely, if they stayed put in their system of origin, they'd be easily ignored. As it is, they're a dangerous, but very slow moving threat. I like the fact that pockets of the galaxy can be turned into no man's land. I only wish I could flag those systems as quarantined, so my ship AI would stop trickling ships into there!

Shamelessly jumping in, somewhat out of line from the OP, because I don’t think this can be said enough…

With the incredible work that went into building the AI routines, it is SO important to be able to manually designate planets, systems and maybe even sectors as off limits for AI controlled ships.

There is also a need to apply map notes allowing the player to annotate important information worth remembering.

I have been playing a 1400 star, 15x15 for a little while now and I am actually breaking out notebooks and jotting down “pen and ink” notes.

The SILVERMIST threat is a perfect example of how these two additions would provide valuable assistance to the player!

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 19
RE: Silvermist - 12/2/2011 4:06:29 PM   
WoodMan

quote:

I have been playing a 1400 star, 15x15 for a little while now and I am actually breaking out notebooks and jotting down “pen and ink” notes.

Join the club.  Its the only way to remember where those extremely useful ruins you found on ice worlds about 100 years before you researched ice colonization are.

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to MasterChief)
Post #: 20
RE: Silvermist - 12/2/2011 4:18:52 PM   
MasterChief

I actually haven't run into the Silvermist yet and was wondering... is there a diplomatic option to build a coalition against the obvious galactic level threat or are we limited to our MDP’s?

If we are limited to MDP’s, has anyone successfully used them to secure the help of their allies against the Silvermist?

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 21
RE: Silvermist - 12/2/2011 4:23:41 PM   
Brynder

quote:

ORIGINAL: WiZz

Hmm... I've been thinking about my concept and have additional idea for my creature. What do you think about making Silvermist threat not to only intelligence races but to ALL organic life in Galaxy? How does it look like? Now, when Silvermist attacks a planet, creature makes it unusable for further colonization FOREVER. So, in the game attacked planet changes its TYPE and becomes BARREN.

Aye, that'd great. I mean it's not the same as say... Tyranids or Necrons or Replicators (not quite) but pretty much inbetween all of them in my mind at least. I myself thought no less thaneight hours ago that even I can't handle them in a game. Since then I have adjusted that position into - I can't handle them in the early stages of the game but at least I know it only takes size 500 ship to beat the first of them. And once the first of any batch is destroyed, no follow ups -> No danger of AI not handling them well. You just need to get there before the AI does which means a lot of research into certain fields and a lot of exploring to be done double quick.

(in reply to WiZz)
Post #: 22
RE: Silvermist - 12/2/2011 4:32:16 PM   
Cauldyth

quote:

ORIGINAL: MasterChief

I actually haven't run into the Silvermist yet and was wondering... is there a diplomatic option to build a coalition against the obvious galactic level threat or are we limited to our MDP’s?

If we are limited to MDP’s, has anyone successfully used them to secure the help of their allies against the Silvermist?

Like the other space creatures, they don't show up in diplomatic options. They're just nastier than the other space creatures.

Post #: 23
RE: Silvermist - 12/2/2011 4:59:04 PM   
Locarnus

quote:

ORIGINAL: WiZz

I m against it, the AI can not possibly cope with it.

(in reply to WiZz)
Post #: 24
RE: Silvermist - 12/2/2011 5:00:52 PM   
nammafia

There should be a diplomatic option to form a coalition of many empires to exterminate SilverMist cotton balls. 

My empire can't seem to exterminate them with 15 destroyers armed with Ion Cannons with 200 fire power per ship.  Now the cotton balls are multiplying to 15 of them and other empires are sending colonization and explorations ships.

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 25
RE: Silvermist - 12/2/2011 5:01:01 PM   
MasterChief

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cauldyth

quote:

ORIGINAL: MasterChief

Like the other space creatures, they don't show up in diplomatic options. They're just nastier than the other space creatures.

Hmmm, they are creatures but they are also an "event". "Events" should trigger diplomatic options... especially events that impact the entire galaxy.

Oh well... guess I'll be researching ion weapons! Still loving this game!

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 26
RE: Silvermist - 12/2/2011 5:19:13 PM   
Locarnus

Do shields help against them?

@nammafia: Do you play 1.703? I think there was a bug in the 1.7 making ion cannons useless against the silvermist (could be mistaken, thou).

But be careful with 1.703, there is a bug that you can not control your ships/fleets anymore once in a system with enemies.

Post #: 27
RE: Silvermist - 12/2/2011 5:20:33 PM   
Nedrear

No shields are useless in the Silvermist battle! As are armor... just one more thing they need to eat first!

One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."

(in reply to Locarnus)
Post #: 28
RE: Silvermist - 12/2/2011 5:31:06 PM   
nammafia

@Locarnus,

I am using 1701. I also notice that the ships in the fleet are not working together --> easily eaten by the cotton balls. I beef up the ships with ~300 shield and ~180 armor. This is my silvermist killing fleet armed with only Ion Cannons.

(in reply to Locarnus)
Post #: 29
RE: Silvermist - 12/2/2011 5:31:21 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nedrear

No shields are useless in the Silvermist battle! As are armor... just one more thing they need to eat first!

So you will lose ships, you just have to have enough ships to kill the silvermist before they are all eaten.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Silvermist Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI