Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Question (no Michaelm please)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Question (no Michaelm please) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 3:06:34 AM   
TulliusDetritus

I am in as well

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 31
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 3:24:57 AM   
wdolson

I think this is a great idea.

I don't use it much anymore, but I have a Paypal account from when I sold a lot on Ebay.  We can use my account if you want.  I can post the totals so everyone knows what we have.  Paypal does the currency conversion for you.  I might even be able to set things up to accept funds in Australian dollars.  I'll have to check on that.

For alcohol we would probably need to use someone in country to buy it.  Shipping alcohol internationally can get a bit weird.  I know Australia has very strict policies on food imports.  Customs won't even allow boxes that might have been used for any kind of agricultural product into the country.  I believe Michael is in Sydney.  If we have someone in Sydney, that would be great.  If not, I have a friend just outside of Melbourne who owes me a favor or two.

If we want to send something else that can be easily obtained in the States, I know the drill for international shipping.  With my Ebay business I shipped to every continent except Antarctica.  I can do it in my sleep.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 32
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 3:28:09 AM   
noguaranteeofsanity

quote:

ORIGINAL: n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: che200

I think the best solution would be to get one of the former Devs to contact Joe Wilkerson to get Michaels Address and he sends it to the person who lives in Australia that way we can keep it simple. Then we send the money via paypal to him and he sends the present to michael. If you guys need any help setting the paypal account i can help out.

There are online Australian booze delivery companies too ... Anyway, I'm in for a penny

Of course this could lead to some disagreement about the best Single Malt Scotch out there .. I go with the Macallan 12 / 24 year.

Yeah, that would be the easiest way to do it and would mean shipping doesn't cost too much, plus they usually deliver, which I imagine would be safer than having to rely on the post.

Try one of these:

https://www.vintagecellars.com.au/vce2e/Pages/default.aspx

http://danmurphys.com.au/dm/home.jsp

https://www.liquorlanddirect.com.au/lle2e/Pages/default.aspx

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 33
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 3:34:07 AM   
TulliusDetritus

Booze? LOL

People are going to think Michael is a hardcore alcoholic.

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to noguaranteeofsanity)
Post #: 34
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 3:35:49 AM   
noguaranteeofsanity

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

I don't use it much anymore, but I have a Paypal account from when I sold a lot on Ebay.  We can use my account if you want.  I can post the totals so everyone knows what we have.  Paypal does the currency conversion for you.  I might even be able to set things up to accept funds in Australian dollars.  I'll have to check on that.

For alcohol we would probably need to use someone in country to buy it.  Shipping alcohol internationally can get a bit weird.  I know Australia has very strict policies on food imports.  Customs won't even allow boxes that might have been used for any kind of agricultural product into the country.  I believe Michael is in Sydney.  If we have someone in Sydney, that would be great.  If not, I have a friend just outside of Melbourne who owes me a favor or two.

If we want to send something else that can be easily obtained in the States, I know the drill for international shipping.  With my Ebay business I shipped to every continent except Antarctica.  I can do it in my sleep.

Bill

The exchange rate has been hovering around parity with the US dollar for a while, currently 1 Australian dollar is equal to 1.02195 US dollars, so probably isn't too much of a problem or neccasary to worry about it too much.

Edit: See here for rules on importing alcohol http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/AlcoholandTobaccoFactSheet.pdf We do have strict laws regarding importing meat, fruit or vegetables, because we do not have many pests and diseases here like mad cow, but alcohol is pretty safe in that regard. However the government taxes all alcohol, which is why there are added restrictions to stop people avoiding the tax.

< Message edited by noguaranteeofsanity -- 12/4/2011 3:43:22 AM >

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 35
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 3:43:19 AM   
stuman

I would be happy to donate.

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

Post #: 36
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 3:56:15 AM   
jmalter

i'm in, 'cos michaelm ranks among the deserving. & cheers to rader for starting this ball rolling!

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 37
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 4:14:13 AM   
Fishbed

I'm in, just tell me where to send the cash 
(paypal is preferred...)

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 38
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 4:19:35 AM   
Mike Solli

I'm in as well.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 39
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 4:31:08 AM   
rader

quote:

Bill

Hey Bill, thanks. Are you ok with hosting the account then? If you don't want to, I'm ok to do it too. I have a paypal account - never used it for something like this, but it should be straightforward. This should be pretty easy actually if we just go with one of those links that noguarantee sent and then we can just order it online from an Australian company. This one has a ton of whiskey (don't ask me what's good, but I'm sure some people here must know):

http://danmurphys.com.au/dm/home.jsp

We should probably order it in time to arrive for Christmas. If he's in Sydney, it says 2-4 days shipping, but we should probably get it off within a week or so because they are probably busy over the holidays.

Maybe say something like this?:

"Thanks for all your hard work! You devoted fans from around the world all chipped in to show their appreciation. Merry Christmas from the War in the Pacific AE forum." (or whatever wording, if people want to suggest any)

Now, how do we get his address? Does anyone on the forum have any ideas on this? Does anyone know his full name? Maybe we can look it up in a Sydney online phone directory? But that could be dicey. Is he connected with Matrix?

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 40
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 4:52:59 AM   
noguaranteeofsanity

Yeah i think that is the best idea, given the hassle of shipping it from overseas and having to sort out the duty and excise with customs. I would volunteer ship it or deliver it myself, but Sydney is a bit like LA and really spread out, so could be an hour or hour and half drive away, so again is easier just to order it online and let them deliver it.  All those stores I listed are large chains that are very common and are owned by two massive companies that have a duopoly australia wide in the grocery and liquor market, so they will definately deliver anywhere in or around Sydney.

Just checked and there are a half dozen M McFarland's in the phone book, so would have to ask someone who knows.

< Message edited by noguaranteeofsanity -- 12/4/2011 6:15:48 AM >

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 41
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 4:55:08 AM   
John 3rd

In. His work is FANTASTIC!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

Post #: 42
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 5:06:44 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: rader

Now, how do we get his address? Does anyone on the forum have any ideas on this? Does anyone know his full name? Maybe we can look it up in a Sydney online phone directory? But that could be dicey. Is he connected with Matrix?

John said up near the top that he could arrange the delivery.

Pax

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 43
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 5:06:55 AM   
chesmart

Now we need the address. wdolson can you get his address somehow ?

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 44
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 5:39:55 AM   
PaxMondo

Please see post 7 above.  John has already stated he can get it delivered.

Pax

(in reply to chesmart)
Post #: 45
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 7:35:54 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: noguaranteeofsanity

The exchange rate has been hovering around parity with the US dollar for a while, currently 1 Australian dollar is equal to 1.02195 US dollars, so probably isn't too much of a problem or neccasary to worry about it too much.

Edit: See here for rules on importing alcohol http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/AlcoholandTobaccoFactSheet.pdf We do have strict laws regarding importing meat, fruit or vegetables, because we do not have many pests and diseases here like mad cow, but alcohol is pretty safe in that regard. However the government taxes all alcohol, which is why there are added restrictions to stop people avoiding the tax.

I was thinking about cutting down on the losses. Every time you exchange a currency, the bank, credit card co, or Paypal take a cut. If the donations were received in Aus dollars, then they could be used directly to buy something in Aus.

I think ordering something in Aus to be delivered in Aus is the best option. I don't have his address, but I know who does, and JWE is probably thinking along the same lines.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

Post #: 46
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 8:25:03 AM   
cohimbra

I'm in (with paypal). 

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 47
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 8:35:36 AM   
Gunner98

quote:

ORIGINAL: n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: che200

I think the best solution would be to get one of the former Devs to contact Joe Wilkerson to get Michaels Address and he sends it to the person who lives in Australia that way we can keep it simple. Then we send the money via paypal to him and he sends the present to michael. If you guys need any help setting the paypal account i can help out.

There are online Australian booze delivery companies too ... Anyway, I'm in for a penny

Of course this could lead to some disagreement about the best Single Malt Scotch out there .. I go with the Macallan 12 / 24 year.

We are asuming that he drinks Scotch - probably a safe bet - so perhaps a smother choice than Laphroaig. Perhaps a Dalwhinie 15, although an older Macallan may be the trick.

B

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 48
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 8:55:05 AM   
Hortlund

Im in.

The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to a close.
In its place we are entering a period of consequences..

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 49
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 9:59:05 AM   
sanderz

Count me in. Very impressed with all the updates fixing bugs and improving interface - really helps to keep the game alive.

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 50
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 10:34:51 AM   
CaptBeefheart

In, but only if it's Balvenie (just kidding).

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 51
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 11:23:00 AM   
Banzan

Might it not better to find a shop that delivers and offers vouchers ? That way he could decide on his own what to get ?

Oh, and i am in, too.

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 52
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 3:01:48 PM   
SuluSea

Should we pool the money together via Bill and figure out how much we have to play with? The idea of shipping though an Australian company sounds like a great idea for our money to go the furthest unless someone lives close and is able to deliver.

< Message edited by SuluSea -- 12/4/2011 3:03:05 PM >

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to Banzan)
Post #: 53
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 3:13:07 PM   
witpqs

I'm in.

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 54
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 3:16:07 PM   
LST Express

me too.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 55
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 4:41:53 PM   
oldman45

Count me in

(in reply to LST Express)
Post #: 56
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 4:44:08 PM   
chesmart

Ok when do we start donating?

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 57
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 4:56:02 PM   
JWE

quote:

I was thinking about cutting down on the losses. Every time you exchange a currency, the bank, credit card co, or Paypal take a cut. If the donations were received in Aus dollars, then they could be used directly to buy something in Aus.

I think ordering something in Aus to be delivered in Aus is the best option. I don't have his address, but I know who does, and JWE is probably thinking along the same lines.

Bill

I am thinking along precisely the same lines. I've seen this before, where everybody wants to get together and do something, but everyone goes off on a different tangent and nothing ends up happening. So I have a proposal.

1) One of us, and I nominate Wdolson because I know he is a straight up person and won't screw this up, opens a simple deposit account, or creates a separate ledger entry in their own account.
2) Anybody wanting to contribute sends that person (Bill) a check (cheque). None of this paypal crap or other tech nonsense guaranteed to get you off the hook; put a damn check in the mail and send it to Bill, and make it out to Bill. And Bill will deposit it (and I know he will, because I trust him).
3) Bank deposits are at date-of-deposit currency conversion rates, so one can send a check for Dollars, Euros, Zlotys, Rubles or Sheckels. No worries.
4) Openly post a cut-off date. Any checks received after that date will be destroyed (and I know Bill will do that, because I trust him).
5) After the cut-off date, Bill sends Michael an email that says "In recognition of your exemplary support of the WiTP-AE Game and User Community." along with a list of contributor's names.
6) And then it's like user's choice; wire transfer, Bank Check; the "means" are endless. Michael gets a well deserved encomium that he can use as he wishes.

A very simple thing. Send the "designated depositor" a simple check for maybe US $5.00 (or equivalent, or more) and have faith that it will go to where it needs to. I suggest Bill because he is universally accepted as an honest citizen here. I'll be glad to help him if he wants. Send a PM to the "designated depositor", saying who you are and they will send you a name to put in the Payee field, and an address to send it to.

If Bill is ok with this, he will say so.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 58
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 5:15:58 PM   
chesmart

Please Lets use Paypal as well as for some of us it is more effective.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 59
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 5:28:18 PM   
Sardaukar

My bank doesn't even issue cheques..and also in Finland they have not been used in 20 yrs... So that option is not available for me. So, lets use PayPal. I don't mind paying bit of exchange charges for good cause.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to chesmart)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Question (no Michaelm please) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI