Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Permission message at statup

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tech Support >> Permission message at statup Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Permission message at statup - 7/16/2011 11:45:55 AM   
tiger111

I have just gone from XP to Win 7 (64bit) and each time I start the game I get a permission message "Do I want to allow the following program to make changes etc".

Is this normal. The UAC is on default settings and altering that does not prevent the message from occuring (using next lowest setting).

Can I stop these messages without turning off UAC altogether?

My friend has 32bit Vista and does nt get these messages.

Thanks. P.S. Since getting Win 7 sometimes the game freezes / the sound stops playing during the computer (German) turn.
Post #: 1
RE: Permission message at statup - 9/30/2011 12:24:18 PM   
SledgeFox

Same here with Vista 32 bit.
I am using an account without admin privileges (like people should do for safety reasons) and every time I start "War in the east", it asks me for my admin password and starts the game as admin user.

I want to use the game as user instead of admin. A game should not need admin rights at all! Please help.

(in reply to tiger111)
Post #: 2
RE: Permission message at statup - 9/30/2011 3:09:16 PM   
pompack

Just a thought: where did you load WitE?

It is a BAD idea to put WitE in Program Files instead of Root. However if you put it in Root you need Admin priviledges to access it.

(in reply to SledgeFox)
Post #: 3
RE: Permission message at statup - 9/30/2011 5:57:31 PM   
SledgeFox

Hi pomback!

I installed WitE in G: - a partition where no admin rights are necessary. I install all my games that way to avoid UAC requests. But WitE fails miserably in that matter.

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 4
RE: Permission message at statup - 9/30/2011 7:47:34 PM   
pompack

quote:

ORIGINAL: SledgeFox

Hi pomback!

I installed WitE in G: - a partition where no admin rights are necessary. I install all my games that way to avoid UAC requests. But WitE fails miserably in that matter.

Hm. I am afraid I can't be much help since I always work with full admin permissions. Never used a partition, but I have found that WitP, BtR, and WitE will not work properly in Vista or Windows 7 (usually save issues) unless located in the privilidged area.

(in reply to SledgeFox)
Post #: 5
RE: Permission message at statup - 12/9/2011 9:39:56 AM   
SledgeFox

Still no news or patch for this annoying bug? And by the way the german version is still 1.04.36 and the updater tells me I'm up to date.
Patch .40 for the english version is availalble since september.

This is not a good support. Please get this fixed. A game needing admin rights is a joke and a security risk.

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 6
RE: Permission message at statup - 12/9/2011 4:45:11 PM   
Joel Billings

I think this is a Matrix installer issue which I will bring up with them, however I'm not sure about that. As for the patch, we will be making a 1.05 update official very soon for both German and English versions. Until then you can get the German public beta via the Member's Club. Unless something comes up in the next few days, the public beta 1.05.45 version will become the official version next week. The only downside of using the German public beta is that it does not yet contain the new translation file, so you might see a few words in English. The official update will include a new translation file. In the future, we plan on always releasing a German version with each public beta (without a new translation file), and then will add a new translation file when the version is made official. Sorry for the delay on the German patch.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to SledgeFox)
Post #: 7
RE: Permission message at statup - 12/12/2011 8:01:51 PM   
SledgeFox

Thank you Mr. Billings! Hopefully the need for admin rights will be removed with a future patch, great to learn about a German patch coming up next week. Maybe not all hope is lost.

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 8
RE: Permission message at statup - 12/13/2011 7:42:13 PM   
Erik Rutins

This is not a bug. Because of the security system and registry, we need admin access to run the game. You should only be asked for elevation once when you first launch the game.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to SledgeFox)
Post #: 9
RE: Permission message at statup - 12/14/2011 9:50:19 AM   
SledgeFox

I understand that the update.exe needs admin rights to be able to install updates if available...

What I do not understand is why the autorun.exe (launcher of the game) and WarInTheEast DV.exe (the game EXE) need admin rights EVERY TIME you start the game. They should not, like any other game. There is no need for the game to have system rights while running!

If you take away admin rights from the WarInTheEast DV.exe, you get an error message when starting the game.

quote:

Fatal Error Code#801, There is an error with your game's serial number as currently configured. Please contact www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk for support.

Which I did, and do here.

In the end it's a bug! None of my games need admin rights and no game should do so. It's bad programming and a security risk.

< Message edited by SledgeFox -- 12/14/2011 9:51:00 AM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 10
RE: Permission message at statup - 12/14/2011 8:23:26 PM   
jshan

Exactly.

(in reply to SledgeFox)
Post #: 11
RE: Permission message at statup - 12/14/2011 9:13:22 PM   
gingerbread

Did you choose 'This user' or 'All users' when installing? Could be that with 'All', you would not need Admin rights.

In any case, couldn't you make a shortcut that have got Admin level?

(in reply to jshan)
Post #: 12
RE: Permission message at statup - 12/15/2011 9:31:07 AM   
SledgeFox

@ jshan: Thank you for letting me know, I'm not the only one who is annoyed with the admin need.

@ gingerbread: I tried both installation methods, the result is the same. The game needs admin rights every time you start it. A shortcut with admin rights would achieve nothing because Vista/Win 7 gives you the UAC prompt http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control in any case a program demands admin rights, which War in the East annoyingly does.

This is the case in an Windows Admin account and the same in an user account without admin rights.

Again, the update.exe of course should and does request admin rights to be able to apply updates. But a game NEVER should demand running with admin rights, having write access to all system files and registry all the time. That's a severe security risk and simply bad programming.

Edit: Well, today the German patch from 1.04.36 to 1.05.45 came and I installed it without problems. But the admin rights bug still remains.

< Message edited by SledgeFox -- 12/15/2011 10:38:31 AM >

(in reply to gingerbread)
Post #: 13
RE: Permission message at statup - 12/15/2011 5:11:00 PM   
Denniss

As far as I understand the permission request is not from the game .exe itself but from the ggwite.exe - this file is used to verify the serial number is valid and it seems to be used to validate the player identity in multiplayer games.

(in reply to SledgeFox)
Post #: 14
RE: Permission message at statup - 12/15/2011 5:59:27 PM   
SledgeFox

Denniss, you are right. The ggwite.exe demands admin right. It gets started directly after you start the WarInTheEast DV.exe. Thank you for telling me that, I didn't notice!

Strange is: If you take the admin rights away from the WarInTheEast DV.exe - then the ggwite.exe (which still has the admin need in it's properties) doesn't bring up the UAC. I suspect, because it inherits the rights from it's parent exe, the WarInTheEast DV.exe, which in this case has no admin rights. The result is the error mentioned above.
quote:

Fatal Error Code#801, There is an error with your game's serial number as currently configured. Please contact www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk for support.

This is really messed up. And WHY should the verification of a serial number require admin rights? Gary Grigsby games on the Amiga were already badly programmed but in a charming way but this is ridiculous.

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 15
RE: Permission message at statup - 1/17/2012 10:43:24 AM   
bassani2011

Hi Guys

Below is the statement that "SledgeFox" wanted us to share with you that he received on his helpdesk ticket that might help you guys out with your issue:

"This is not a bug, it's a function of the otherwise harmless serial number security system that is part of the game.  I'm sorry this is annoying you, but it is not something we can change without a new security system, As you noted, an update was released for the German version.  v1.05.45 should bring you up to date with the latest version of War in the East."
Kind Regards

Christian Bassani
Matrix Games

(in reply to SledgeFox)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tech Support >> Permission message at statup Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI